The Secret History of Twin Peaks

Moderators: Annie, BookhouseBoyBob, Ross, Jerry Horne, Brad D

User avatar
LurkerAtTheThreshold
Posts: 206
Joined: Sat Nov 12, 2016 3:02 pm

Re: SPOILERS: The Secret History of Twin Peaks

Postby LurkerAtTheThreshold » Fri Nov 18, 2016 1:34 am

Trudy Chelgren wrote:The blog makes for a really strange, and admittedly intriguing, story. I have to say I'm reluctant to dig further though.


I don't know. The more I look at it. The more I think it's just fanciful bullshit.
User avatar
LurkerAtTheThreshold
Posts: 206
Joined: Sat Nov 12, 2016 3:02 pm

Re: SPOILERS: The Secret History of Twin Peaks

Postby LurkerAtTheThreshold » Fri Nov 18, 2016 1:35 am

PeaksCarnivaleLost wrote:Some of the interpretations of TSHOTP are pretty interesting, but the writer seems like he is having some serious mental issues. Might be reading a little too much into it all. That said, I did find speculation about this countdown timer pretty interesting:

http://www.falseprophet-hq.com/


Do you think this countdown timer could really be linked to Season 3 somehow?
The symbol does look kind of similar to the one on the spine of the new book.



Countdown takes us up to Midnight Jan 27th/28th morning?
Good links, thanks![/quote]




I think it's just a red herring. But semi interesting all the same.
User avatar
gavriloP
Posts: 145
Joined: Tue Jun 10, 2008 4:24 pm

Re: SPOILERS: The Secret History of Twin Peaks

Postby gavriloP » Fri Nov 18, 2016 1:50 am

I can't believe Windom Earle has anything to do with this. His powers are stripped away, and he never actually even had them. He is not lodgefolk, just simple man who thought too much of himself. But he is omitted from the book. The only person who would gain from these misleadings would be Cooper/BOB, I think. Then again, just tampering with documents wouldn't change reality and most of these things would be easy to disprove. People of Twin Peaks know Annie and most of the stuff that is wrong in the book. So what is the point of it all?

BTW there is no "manipulation" from the lodge in the original series. They can only interfere with our world by inhabitating us. I know that the book mentions some mind control stuff, but that's pretty weak sauce.

I'm also wondering about Gordon Cole, didn't they read the dossier at all? I mean if the task is to find out who is The Archivist, it is clearly stated in the dossier. Well, perhaps we get some answers when the show finally airs.

And one thing about the ring: the idea that Doug Milford has it is not really working, if we assume there is only one ring. In FWWM it goes from Teresa Banks to probably Chalfonts to Chet Desmond to lodge and One armed man and from him to Laura and back to lodge. I'll admit that it was cool fluke that Doug Milford happened to have similar ring on his death scene by accident, but I don't think it fits to the narrative, not really.

EDIT: People in the lodge can influence dreams, we've seen that with Annie and there is that one instance of Windom speaking through Sarah who works like a medium. But we don't see anyone controlled from the black lodge, only by the inhabitants.


EDIT 2: !!!!!! Maybe this is just error from graphics department but the photograph of Owl Cave petroglyph on page 147 is a mirror image.
User avatar
boske
Posts: 529
Joined: Wed Nov 16, 2016 4:15 am

Re: SPOILERS: The Secret History of Twin Peaks

Postby boske » Fri Nov 18, 2016 5:28 am

Hello everybody, I am happy to have finally joined the group! I have followed the forum since the early part of previous decade when I was interested in some aspects of the “waiting room” which led me to this place (I was in the late teens when the show originally aired). Considering there were a few people still keeping hope that what we had seen until then was not the last of TP, one must really admit that these are exciting times for a fan. If somebody had then told us we would be getting all of this we would have been rightly ecstatic. Thank you Mark! So, we have been discussing the show for more than two decades after it had aired, it is quite possible that we will be discussing season three in a similar manner!

For that reason, and knowing that Mark and David had spent several years (!) coming up with a story for season 3, I do not believe that we are dealing with sloppy writing and botched editing. Quite the contrary! These errors point to certain clues. Historically this method was used as a steganographic technique to embed certain messages into a body of text, primarily via grammatical errors, that inattentive mind would gloss over. I must admit that I did not pay attention to any of this while reading the book, and I read it only once thus far, so I would like to thank all these people who recorded these discrepancies. For the record, there could always be small errors that are unintentional, but not at this scale!

What is important here is to remember that we, the people who saw the show, know the truth and so can catalogue the errors and then proceed to analyze what they might mean. Isn’t that what agent TP is supposed to do anyway?

The absence of Annie is one aspect of the mystery. It was Annie that got both Windom and Cooper into the lodge, via fear and love respectively. And Annie would perhaps be the one that could get Cooper out of it. You erase Annie from the picture and Cooper stays in the lodge forever. Furthermore, if Pete no longer plays chess then he can no longer help Cooper compete with Windom, so Windom wins, and so on. Thus, while erasing Annie primarily affects the future (although one could argue also affects the past), editing Pete’s characteristics primarily affects the past, even more so since Pete almost simultaneously perishes during Cooper’s lodge entrance. If we look at the future at that point, Pete is gone and him never playing chess makes no difference. But if somebody goes back, having a Pete that does not play chess will change the course of events (let us not forget the “is it future or is it past?” scene from FWWM here). For that reason, if Annie is erased from the events (and changes with Norma’s lineage play a role here too), then that also explains why Lana wins. So if there is no Annie in the past, would Cooper even enter the lodge anymore (even Windom)? So it could even be the “good Coop” changing the past from within the lodge? That could also be a possibility.

Moving along, what did strike me when I saw the trailer for the book is that the photo of young Doug Milford has a “Windom-esque” kind of appearance as if they were related. Or as if Windom Earle pasted his photo there, in which case we should assume that he had tampered with the documents. Could they be related? Their resemblance might then be intentional. I will now have to re-watch Doug Milford’s scenes, is it possible that the ring is there?! Amazing!

I will just leave this post with one remark: Lana does appear to represent a “Scarlet Woman” archetype, that topic has been touched in the book (regarding JPL), I think it was intentional to create this connection with Doug Milford, do we know where she (Lana, Lam?) comes from and how? Wow.
User avatar
gavriloP
Posts: 145
Joined: Tue Jun 10, 2008 4:24 pm

Re: SPOILERS: The Secret History of Twin Peaks

Postby gavriloP » Fri Nov 18, 2016 6:01 am

If the dossier is made by Cooper/BOB, I think we should find some letter clues like we did with Leland/BOB. you know the R, B and T. Name Robert itself is there in form of Jacoby's brother. Also it would make sense that Cooper/BOB would like to erase all real clues and facts about Black Lodge incident. This goes with whitewashing the owls (so they are nothing more than symbols and peoples misinterpretations about gray aliens) and not mentioning the actual facts about the trips to the Black Lodge, the astrology aspects etc.

BOB always felt mischievous while inside Leland and same goes with Coop. He would love to do a prank to Cole and the rest.

My own interpretation about FWWM's "don't take the ring, Laura" was that Cooper hoped Laura wouldn't be killed (but she would be possessed, though) and the future's past would've been changed and none of the tragedies would''ve happened (none of the whole show, really). Even though this sounds pretty harsh for Cooper, I assume he would rather have possessed Laura going around than possessed Cooper...

EDIT: then again, why on earth would Cooper/BOB leave that last mayday note there? He is casting some serious doubt about Cooper in the end.
User avatar
LurkerAtTheThreshold
Posts: 206
Joined: Sat Nov 12, 2016 3:02 pm

Re: SPOILERS: The Secret History of Twin Peaks

Postby LurkerAtTheThreshold » Fri Nov 18, 2016 7:01 am

gavriloP wrote:If the dossier is made by Cooper/BOB, I think we should find some letter clues like we did with Leland/BOB. you know the R, B and T. Name Robert itself is there in form of Jacoby's brother. Also it would make sense that Cooper/BOB would like to erase all real clues and facts about Black Lodge incident. This goes with whitewashing the owls (so they are nothing more than symbols and peoples misinterpretations about gray aliens) and not mentioning the actual facts about the trips to the Black Lodge, the astrology aspects etc.

BOB always felt mischievous while inside Leland and same goes with Coop. He would love to do a prank to Cole and the rest.

My own interpretation about FWWM's "don't take the ring, Laura" was that Cooper hoped Laura wouldn't be killed (but she would be possessed, though) and the future's past would've been changed and none of the tragedies would''ve happened (none of the whole show, really). Even though this sounds pretty harsh for Cooper, I assume he would rather have possessed Laura going around than possessed Cooper...

EDIT: then again, why on earth would Cooper/BOB leave that last mayday note there? He is casting some serious doubt about Cooper in the end.


----------------------------------------------------


This is an interesting idea. A lot of people have touched on the idea of time discrepancies in an alternative reality scenario. But no one has really touched on the cooper as god thing.
If you look at the quotes about the black lodge, there is an unaddressed element to the mythology.


"Once upon a time, there was a place of great goodness, called the White Lodge. Gentle fawns gamboled there amidst happy, laughing spirits. The sounds of innocence and joy filled the air. And when it rained, it rained sweet nectar that infused one's heart with a desire to live life in truth and beauty. Generally speaking, a ghastly place, reeking of virtue's sour smell. Engorged with the whispered prayers of kneeling mothers, mewling newborns, and fools, young and old, compelled to do good without reason ... But, I am happy to point out that our story does not end in this wretched place of saccharine excess. For there's another place, its opposite:"

"There is also a legend of a place called the Black Lodge. The shadow-self of the White Lodge. The legend says that every spirit must pass through there on the way to perfection. There, you will meet your own shadow self. My people call it 'The Dweller on the Threshold' [...] But it is said, if you confront the Black Lodge with imperfect courage, it will utterly annihilate your soul."

"A place of almost unimaginable power, chock full of dark forces and vicious secrets. No prayers dare enter this frightful maw. The spirits there care not for good deeds or priestly invocations; they're as like to rip the flesh from your bone as greet you with a happy "good day." And if harnessed, these spirits in this hidden land of unmuffled screams and broken hearts would offer up a power so vast that its bearer might reorder the Earth itself to his liking."



This last line offers the most important clue. What if Cooper wins the chess game of the black lodge. He would have the power to reorder history. This could explain all the discrepancies in the dossier. Cooper is rewriting history. Maybe the good cooper would try to act as a god, to fix the world. But maybe over Laura Palmer he would be too powerless. If Laura dies, she defeats bob. If she survives Bob wins. Its a catch 22 as Cooper with moral conscience couldn't let Laura die- becoming a Judas figure to Laura's sacrificial Jesus figure.
guildnavigator
Posts: 106
Joined: Wed Nov 25, 2009 12:50 am

Re: SPOILERS: The Secret History of Twin Peaks

Postby guildnavigator » Fri Nov 18, 2016 8:36 am

LurkerAtTheThreshold wrote:
gavriloP wrote:If the dossier is made by Cooper/BOB, I think we should find some letter clues like we did with Leland/BOB. you know the R, B and T. Name Robert itself is there in form of Jacoby's brother. Also it would make sense that Cooper/BOB would like to erase all real clues and facts about Black Lodge incident. This goes with whitewashing the owls (so they are nothing more than symbols and peoples misinterpretations about gray aliens) and not mentioning the actual facts about the trips to the Black Lodge, the astrology aspects etc.

BOB always felt mischievous while inside Leland and same goes with Coop. He would love to do a prank to Cole and the rest.

My own interpretation about FWWM's "don't take the ring, Laura" was that Cooper hoped Laura wouldn't be killed (but she would be possessed, though) and the future's past would've been changed and none of the tragedies would''ve happened (none of the whole show, really). Even though this sounds pretty harsh for Cooper, I assume he would rather have possessed Laura going around than possessed Cooper...

EDIT: then again, why on earth would Cooper/BOB leave that last mayday note there? He is casting some serious doubt about Cooper in the end.


----------------------------------------------------


This is an interesting idea. A lot of people have touched on the idea of time discrepancies in an alternative reality scenario. But no one has really touched on the cooper as god thing.
If you look at the quotes about the black lodge, there is an unaddressed element to the mythology.


"Once upon a time, there was a place of great goodness, called the White Lodge. Gentle fawns gamboled there amidst happy, laughing spirits. The sounds of innocence and joy filled the air. And when it rained, it rained sweet nectar that infused one's heart with a desire to live life in truth and beauty. Generally speaking, a ghastly place, reeking of virtue's sour smell. Engorged with the whispered prayers of kneeling mothers, mewling newborns, and fools, young and old, compelled to do good without reason ... But, I am happy to point out that our story does not end in this wretched place of saccharine excess. For there's another place, its opposite:"

"There is also a legend of a place called the Black Lodge. The shadow-self of the White Lodge. The legend says that every spirit must pass through there on the way to perfection. There, you will meet your own shadow self. My people call it 'The Dweller on the Threshold' [...] But it is said, if you confront the Black Lodge with imperfect courage, it will utterly annihilate your soul."

"A place of almost unimaginable power, chock full of dark forces and vicious secrets. No prayers dare enter this frightful maw. The spirits there care not for good deeds or priestly invocations; they're as like to rip the flesh from your bone as greet you with a happy "good day." And if harnessed, these spirits in this hidden land of unmuffled screams and broken hearts would offer up a power so vast that its bearer might reorder the Earth itself to his liking."



This last line offers the most important clue. What if Cooper wins the chess game of the black lodge. He would have the power to reorder history. This could explain all the discrepancies in the dossier. Cooper is rewriting history. Maybe the good cooper would try to act as a god, to fix the world. But maybe over Laura Palmer he would be too powerless. If Laura dies, she defeats bob. If she survives Bob wins. Its a catch 22 as Cooper with moral conscience couldn't let Laura die- becoming a Judas figure to Laura's sacrificial Jesus figure.


Fascinating, this DOES make some sense to me
User avatar
Bookworm
Posts: 66
Joined: Wed Sep 28, 2016 8:13 am

Re: SPOILERS: The Secret History of Twin Peaks

Postby Bookworm » Fri Nov 18, 2016 10:07 am

What about that sheet of paper included in the book that look like an order form? What is it?
User avatar
_/\_wowbobwow_/\_
Posts: 6
Joined: Fri Oct 28, 2016 11:27 am

Re: SPOILERS: The Secret History of Twin Peaks

Postby _/\_wowbobwow_/\_ » Fri Nov 18, 2016 11:04 am

guildnavigator wrote:
LurkerAtTheThreshold wrote:
gavriloP wrote:If the dossier is made by Cooper/BOB, I think we should find some letter clues like we did with Leland/BOB. you know the R, B and T. Name Robert itself is there in form of Jacoby's brother. Also it would make sense that Cooper/BOB would like to erase all real clues and facts about Black Lodge incident. This goes with whitewashing the owls (so they are nothing more than symbols and peoples misinterpretations about gray aliens) and not mentioning the actual facts about the trips to the Black Lodge, the astrology aspects etc.

BOB always felt mischievous while inside Leland and same goes with Coop. He would love to do a prank to Cole and the rest.

My own interpretation about FWWM's "don't take the ring, Laura" was that Cooper hoped Laura wouldn't be killed (but she would be possessed, though) and the future's past would've been changed and none of the tragedies would''ve happened (none of the whole show, really). Even though this sounds pretty harsh for Cooper, I assume he would rather have possessed Laura going around than possessed Cooper...

EDIT: then again, why on earth would Cooper/BOB leave that last mayday note there? He is casting some serious doubt about Cooper in the end.


----------------------------------------------------


This is an interesting idea. A lot of people have touched on the idea of time discrepancies in an alternative reality scenario. But no one has really touched on the cooper as god thing.
If you look at the quotes about the black lodge, there is an unaddressed element to the mythology.


"Once upon a time, there was a place of great goodness, called the White Lodge. Gentle fawns gamboled there amidst happy, laughing spirits. The sounds of innocence and joy filled the air. And when it rained, it rained sweet nectar that infused one's heart with a desire to live life in truth and beauty. Generally speaking, a ghastly place, reeking of virtue's sour smell. Engorged with the whispered prayers of kneeling mothers, mewling newborns, and fools, young and old, compelled to do good without reason ... But, I am happy to point out that our story does not end in this wretched place of saccharine excess. For there's another place, its opposite:"

"There is also a legend of a place called the Black Lodge. The shadow-self of the White Lodge. The legend says that every spirit must pass through there on the way to perfection. There, you will meet your own shadow self. My people call it 'The Dweller on the Threshold' [...] But it is said, if you confront the Black Lodge with imperfect courage, it will utterly annihilate your soul."

"A place of almost unimaginable power, chock full of dark forces and vicious secrets. No prayers dare enter this frightful maw. The spirits there care not for good deeds or priestly invocations; they're as like to rip the flesh from your bone as greet you with a happy "good day." And if harnessed, these spirits in this hidden land of unmuffled screams and broken hearts would offer up a power so vast that its bearer might reorder the Earth itself to his liking."



This last line offers the most important clue. What if Cooper wins the chess game of the black lodge. He would have the power to reorder history. This could explain all the discrepancies in the dossier. Cooper is rewriting history. Maybe the good cooper would try to act as a god, to fix the world. But maybe over Laura Palmer he would be too powerless. If Laura dies, she defeats bob. If she survives Bob wins. Its a catch 22 as Cooper with moral conscience couldn't let Laura die- becoming a Judas figure to Laura's sacrificial Jesus figure.


Fascinating, this DOES make some sense to me


This makes sense but way too out there for a show that was basically a parody that actually had a parody of itself within the show - that's the problem the general public has with TP methinks and why people bailed. It went from this fun murder mystery to this vast world that transcends time and space, and even dimension? While I agree Cooper was "wrong" telling Laura not to wear the ring, because she ultimately had to die to win, I think the TP fan doesn't think the Black Lodge or Bob had been defeated in any way, shape, or form. In fact, it has our hero, and that's the drama. Making him a god from the get-go in season 3 will be like revealing who the killer was.
User avatar
Teopeaks
Posts: 130
Joined: Sat Jan 20, 2007 6:32 am
Contact:

Re: SPOILERS: The Secret History of Twin Peaks

Postby Teopeaks » Fri Nov 18, 2016 1:58 pm

From Lynch on Lynch
Attachments
LoLp187.jpg
LoLp187.jpg (386.74 KiB) Viewed 4323 times
User avatar
Bookworm
Posts: 66
Joined: Wed Sep 28, 2016 8:13 am

Re: SPOILERS: The Secret History of Twin Peaks

Postby Bookworm » Fri Nov 18, 2016 2:00 pm

I always thought Coop was sort of an angel that fell from sky anyway. What with him marveling at those trees and his reaction to coffee and pie?
One Eyed Jaques
Posts: 1
Joined: Wed Nov 16, 2016 8:15 pm

Re: SPOILERS: The Secret History of Twin Peaks

Postby One Eyed Jaques » Fri Nov 18, 2016 8:27 pm

Mordeen wrote:...
Her first mistake was in the assumption that the uppercase "I" was used to replace "1" due to a missing key. Older folks like myself and the Archivist who actually did learn to type on a manual typewriter without the "1" key were always taught to use the lowercase "L" to replace "1" because they are identical.

The pictured typewriter was altered to draw attention to it. The uppercase "I" therefore, to me, must be a clue.

-Mordeen


THANK YOU!
I've been following the forum for a long time, but was always too lazy to make an account. I had to register just to agree that the uppercase i in place of lowercase l was practically screaming off the page "notice me!".

(I was so excited to chime in, that I misspelled Jacques when I made the account. )

I wonder if it was only done to pull off the mirror-image message trick with the bookshelf photo.
User avatar
madeleineferguson
Posts: 280
Joined: Thu Oct 01, 2015 8:25 am

Re: SPOILERS: The Secret History of Twin Peaks

Postby madeleineferguson » Sat Nov 19, 2016 12:19 am

I'm due to read the book again so I can answer this myself, but meanwhile...

Are there any other Milfords in the Secret History of Twin Peaks, beyond Dougie and Dwayne? I can't recall. I ask because I wonder if we can expect/hope to see some new Milfords in Season 3. I think I expect a new Mayor Milford in the new season, a relative of Dwayne and Dougie. After reading the book, do we have any idea if that's a real possibility?
DLodge
Posts: 6
Joined: Tue Oct 18, 2016 11:14 am

Re: SPOILERS: The Secret History of Twin Peaks

Postby DLodge » Sat Nov 19, 2016 1:28 am

Hello!
First time posting with this new account

It's probably been remarked upon before, but the "ending" of "Briggs'" part of the dossier implies that it takes place very recently after season 2, but earlier remarks about Catherine becoming a recluse, and Ben Horne holding vigil by Audrey's bedside implies that a significant amount of time has passed

Any thoughts?
User avatar
krishnanspace
Posts: 1030
Joined: Wed Nov 18, 2015 5:15 am

Re: SPOILERS: The Secret History of Twin Peaks

Postby krishnanspace » Sat Nov 19, 2016 1:36 am

DLodge wrote:Hello!
First time posting with this new account

It's probably been remarked upon before, but the "ending" of "Briggs'" part of the dossier implies that it takes place very recently after season 2, but earlier remarks about Catherine becoming a recluse, and Ben Horne holding vigil by Audrey's bedside implies that a significant amount of time has passed

Any thoughts?

Also about the Hank Jennings murder,that happens in 1992.Did major Briggs time travel into the future?

Return to “Books”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 9 guests