The Secret History of Twin Peaks

Moderators: Brad D, Annie, Jonah, BookhouseBoyBob, Ross, Jerry Horne

The Jumping Man
RR Diner Member

Re: SPOILERS: The Secret History of Twin Peaks

Post by The Jumping Man »

Given the series is being split across two years
This is a given now? What's the source on this?
djerdap
RR Diner Member

Post by djerdap »

The Jumping Man wrote:
Pure speculation. There is no source. And I really hope this does not happen.
https://thirtythreexthree.wordpress.com/ - 33x3: 33 favourite films by 33 directors, 33 favourite books by 33 authors, 33 favourite albums by 33 musicians and 3 favourite TV series
mtwentz
Lodge Member

Post by mtwentz »

djerdap wrote:
The Jumping Man wrote:
Pure speculation. There is no source. And I really hope this does not happen.
Amazing how the speculation on this board evolves into 'fact' with the passage of time :-)
F*&^ you Gene Kelly
Harry S. Truman
RR Diner Member

Post by Harry S. Truman »

The Jumping Man wrote:
That's not what anyone said.
Gabriel
Great Northern Member

Post by Gabriel »

Harry S. Truman wrote:
The Jumping Man wrote:
That's not what anyone said.
My mistake then. I was absolutely positive I'd read that the season was being shown in two halves across two years. Couldn't be happier if that's not the case.
LurkerAtTheThreshold
RR Diner Member

Post by LurkerAtTheThreshold »

Something that just occurred to me... which should've been obvious...

If Douglas Milford was wearing the Owl cave ring on his deathbed, as Mark Frost basically confirmed by saying 'wouldn't that interesting though?'. If Milford has had the ring since getting it off Nixon somehow, and still had it on his deathbed. We know that both Laura Palmer and Teresa banks were wearing the ring prior to their deaths.

Doesn't that sort of implicate Douglas Milford in the murders?

How did he get the ring back?
kafa81
RR Diner Member

Post by kafa81 »

LurkerAtTheThreshold wrote:Something that just occurred to me... which should've been obvious...

If Douglas Milford was wearing the Owl cave ring on his deathbed, as Mark Frost basically confirmed by saying 'wouldn't that interesting though?'. If Milford has had the ring since getting it off Nixon somehow, and still had it on his deathbed. We know that both Laura Palmer and Teresa banks were wearing the ring prior to their deaths.

Two worlds,two lodges.....two rings....? :?: :?:
LurkerAtTheThreshold
RR Diner Member

kafa81 wrote:
LurkerAtTheThreshold wrote:Something that just occurred to me... which should've been obvious...

Also I just remembered. In FWWM Mike (Aka Phillip Gerard) has the ring too. So either the two know each other or there is a multiple ring scenario like you suggest.
kafa81
RR Diner Member

Post by kafa81 »

LurkerAtTheThreshold wrote:
kafa81 wrote:

Also I just remembered. In FWWM Mike (Aka Phillip Gerard) has the ring too. So either the two know each other or there is a multiple ring scenario like you suggest.
Coop tells Laura not to take the ring, but then Phillip Gerard throws her a ring...maybe there are 2 and they have different meaning/intention etc... :?:
gavriloP
RR Diner Member

Post by gavriloP »

LurkerAtTheThreshold wrote: Also I just remembered. In FWWM Mike (Aka Phillip Gerard) has the ring too. So either the two know each other or there is a multiple ring scenario like you suggest.
The way I've understood the journey of the ring in FWWM is as follows:

First Theresa got the ring from someone, probably Chalfonts/Tremonds or other Lodge minion. Then she lost the ring to someone after her death, probably Chalfonts/Tremonds because next Agent Chet Desmond finds the ring from unerneath the trailer. Now the ring has gone back to lodge, assuming that's where Agent Desmond went. Next we see it in there when Laura dreams about it. Bear in mind that Laura doesn't actually get the ring, it is all just a dream in the end. After that we see it in one-armed man's finger and after that he gives it to Laura. And after that someone takes it away once again, probably back to the lodge.

If there is one ring (which is still possible in FWWM) Dougie Milford can't have the ring. Which makes me believe that TSHOTP really isn't fully working with mythology. Frost just got the idea from the funny coincidence that Dougie had kinda similar ring on his deathbed. I'm 100% sure that Lynch hadn't noticed that while they were making FWWM. The whole idea of the ring isn't totally logical because Theresa actually had no need for it. BOB/Leland was just killing her, there was no intention of transferring BOB into her. So ring or not, Theresa would've just been killed either way.
LurkerAtTheThreshold
RR Diner Member

gavriloP wrote:
LurkerAtTheThreshold wrote: Also I just remembered. In FWWM Mike (Aka Phillip Gerard) has the ring too. So either the two know each other or there is a multiple ring scenario like you suggest.
The way I've understood the journey of the ring in FWWM is as follows:

First Theresa got the ring from someone, probably Chalfonts/Tremonds or other Lodge minion. Then she lost the ring to someone after her death, probably Chalfonts/Tremonds because next Agent Chet Desmond finds the ring from unerneath the trailer. Now the ring has gone back to lodge, assuming that's where Agent Desmond went. Next we see it in there when Laura dreams about it. Bear in mind that Laura doesn't actually get the ring, it is all just a dream in the end. After that we see it in one-armed man's finger and after that he gives it to Laura. And after that someone takes it away once again, probably back to the lodge.

If there is one ring (which is still possible in FWWM) Dougie Milford can't have the ring. Which makes me believe that TSHOTP really isn't fully working with mythology. Frost just got the idea from the funny coincidence that Dougie had kinda similar ring on his deathbed. I'm 100% sure that Lynch hadn't noticed that while they were making FWWM. The whole idea of the ring isn't totally logical because Theresa actually had no need for it. BOB/Leland was just killing her, there was no intention of transferring BOB into her. So ring or not, Theresa would've just been killed either way.

Thats my understanding too. But that account doesn't include the events of Season 3 which we know nothing about, and which Frost knew in full when he wrote TSHOTP. So there is a good chance the ring will become a feature of the new series. The way Frost ties the ring with certain historical figures he does seem to paint it as a magical ring that belongs to a secret society.
CompletelySilent
Roadhouse Member

Post by CompletelySilent »

kafa81 wrote:
LurkerAtTheThreshold wrote:
kafa81 wrote:

Coop tells Laura not to take the ring, but then Phillip Gerard throws her a ring...maybe there are 2 and they have different meaning/intention etc... :?:
I think this could be the case with two rings, but I still feel their is just one ring(that we know of right now that was in FWWM). I viewed that Cooper saying not to take the ring is the wrong take on what Laura should do as I believe taking the ring is ultimately what saved Laura from BOB on a spiritual level. I've interpreted that Cooper in the Black Lodge here is like him at the end of Season 2 and his ultimate fall, a guy with good intentions who doesn't understand the world of the Lodges and Laura being the character to defeat her adversary in BOB by not letting him take control like he would do with Coop later.
Diane! I'm holding in my hands a small box of chocolate bunnies.
laughingpinecone
Great Northern Member

Post by laughingpinecone »

At its mildest, it's magical realism, it's okay if items appear in two unconnected places at once...
] The gathered are known by their faces of stone.
Leebob
Roadhouse Member

Post by Leebob »

[quote="kafa81
Two worlds,two lodges.....two rings....? :?: :?:[/quote]

Actually, I believe there are 20 rings:

Three Rings for the Elven-kings under the sky,
Seven for the Dwarf-lords in their halls of stone,
Nine for Mortal Men doomed to die,
One for the Dark Lord on his dark throne
In the Land of Mordor where the Shadows lie.
One Ring to rule them all, One Ring to find them,
One Ring to bring them all and in the darkness bind them
LurkerAtTheThreshold
RR Diner Member

Leebob wrote:[quote="kafa81
Actually, I believe there are 20 rings:

Three Rings for the Elven-kings under the sky,
Seven for the Dwarf-lords in their halls of stone,
Nine for Mortal Men doomed to die,
One for the Dark Lord on his dark throne
One Ring to rule them all, One Ring to find them,
One Ring to bring them all and in the darkness bind them
In the Land of Mordor where the Shadows lie.[/quote]

Coming soon, to a television near you...

James Marshall gets on his bike and rides to Mordor to dispose of the one ring, encountering many a seductress on his way. (Lol I actually wouldn't mind if they merged the Twin Peaks world with Lord of the rings, that would be a pretty interesting crossover).

So... all these old TP blogs seem more interesting now in light of the new book.

I had no idea about this. Apparently it was leaked that the orIginal intention of the script writers for season 3 back in the nineties was to have Major Briggs lead a search party to save Agent Cooper from the black lodge (which sounds pretty cheesy imo)

http://www.margie.tv/twin-peaks/9ot9jzt ... a/5/2/2015

What do people make of this? Is it possible evil coop doesn't kill Briggs?

------------------------
Another random thought. Has anyone got any thoughts on the symbolism of the ring by Lynch as an expression of fidelity. I was just thinking over the fact I'm FWWM that the ring was found By Chester Desmond in a mound in the fat trout trailer park, similar to the mound where the necklace was placed in the Laura Palmer murder. The heart necklace is this symbol of adolescent love, Laura promises it to multiple people, whilst the ring has this dark symbolic permanence ie. LMFAP 'With this ring I thee wed' and Cooper 'Don't take the ring Laura'. Is there a connection between the ring and the necklace symbolically? Does TSHOTP add or subtract from the ring as a poetic device so you think?