The Secret History of Twin Peaks

Moderators: Brad D, Annie, Jonah, BookhouseBoyBob, Ross, Jerry Horne

LonelySoul
RR Diner Member

Re: SPOILERS: The Secret History of Twin Peaks

Post by LonelySoul »

OpeningCreditsBird wrote:One discrepancy between the book and the show I spotted that isn't in LonelySoul's Google Doc: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/ ... edit#gid=0

According to TSHoTP Dougie Milford dies March 25, 1989. In the series Dale Cooper enters the Lodge on March 26, 1989. In the series Milford dies 11 or 12 days before Cooper enters the Lodge.

Also, in cell F20 the word "not" should be "note"
Hey thanks. I'll try to remember to update it tomorrow.
Come hang out at http://www.reddit.com/r/twinpeaks. I'm /u/iswitt, one of the moderators.
OpeningCreditsBird

Post by OpeningCreditsBird »

LonelySoul wrote:
OpeningCreditsBird wrote:One discrepancy between the book and the show I spotted that isn't in LonelySoul's Google Doc: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/ ... edit#gid=0

According to TSHoTP Dougie Milford dies March 25, 1989. In the series Dale Cooper enters the Lodge on March 26, 1989. In the series Milford dies 11 or 12 days before Cooper enters the Lodge.

You're welcome. btw I recently interviewed Frost and asked him about this and about timelines in general. His answer, "the truth is a land of many paths".
LonelySoul
RR Diner Member

Post by LonelySoul »

Frost being cryptic about the timeline as usual. :D
Come hang out at http://www.reddit.com/r/twinpeaks. I'm /u/iswitt, one of the moderators.
LonelySoul
RR Diner Member

Post by LonelySoul »

OpeningCreditsBird wrote:
LonelySoul wrote:

You're welcome. btw I recently interviewed Frost and asked him about this and about timelines in general. His answer, "the truth is a land of many paths".
You don't happen to know what page the death date of Milford is listed on, do you? I don't have my copy handy at the moment.
Mr. Reindeer
Lodge Member

Post by Mr. Reindeer »

Rereading the Access Guide as part of my pre-S3 "rewatch." Interesting passage on p. 76: until his death, Dougie Milford "used to muse on the restorative powers of terror and darkness" at the end of the Halloween parade. I assume this was merely meant as a throwaway reference to the holiday's significance in our culture, & Dougie would be an appropriate person to deliver such a speech as a man of letters. But I wonder if that reference sparked something in Mark, to imagine that something sinister lay in Dougie's past.
LurkerAtTheThreshold
RR Diner Member

Post by LurkerAtTheThreshold »

Mr. Reindeer wrote:Rereading the Access Guide as part of my pre-S3 "rewatch." Interesting passage on p. 76: until his death, Dougie Milford "used to muse on the restorative powers of terror and darkness" at the end of the Halloween parade. I assume this was merely meant as a throwaway reference to the holiday's significance in our culture, & Dougie would be an appropriate person to deliver such a speech as a man of letters. But I wonder if that reference sparked something in Mark, to imagine that something sinister lay in Dougie's past.

From what I've heard of Mark Frosts talks, the Milford family was actually a plot point they had been planning for season 3 way back when.

Consider that in the season finale Audrey Horne calls and asks to speak to Dwayne Milford junior at the gazette. I think they always planned in deepening the relevance of the Milford family so you may be right in some sense. Wether Dougie wearing the ring was intentional I doubt, but Frost said they still had a bunch of ideas 'up their sleeve' before The show was cancelled.
CuriousWoman
Roadhouse Member

Post by CuriousWoman »

I haven't checked the whole thread but has anyone made a comprehensive list of the cast distribution in the audio version?

I am aware of the one on the wiki but is vastly incomplete. Although all speaking roles are listed in its talk page nobody seemed to have tried to indentify which actor did what.
OpeningCreditsBird

Post by OpeningCreditsBird »

LonelySoul wrote:
OpeningCreditsBird wrote:
LonelySoul wrote:
You don't happen to know what page the death date of Milford is listed on, do you? I don't have my copy handy at the moment.
Sorry LonelySoul, I don't. I'm in New York, my book is in Melbourne. I will be with it next week though if no one finds that page number first. It's around page 350, right near the end.
Eater of Iguanas
RR Diner Member

Post by Eater of Iguanas »

OpeningCreditsBird wrote:Sorry LonelySoul, I don't. I'm in New York, my book is in Melbourne. I will be with it next week though if no one finds that page number first. It's around page 350, right near the end.
Apropos of nothing, OpeningCreditsBird, you now have my favorite screen name on the forum. I'm a huge fan of that bird, and when I heard the same bird wouldn't be returning for the new season, I just about gave up on it. I suppose I might still watch the show, out of curiosity, but I feel like it just won't be the same.

Welcome to New York. Hope you're enjoying your stay.
garethw
RR Diner Member

Post by garethw »

Eater of Iguanas wrote: Apropos of nothing, OpeningCreditsBird, you now have my favorite screen name on the forum. I'm a huge fan of that bird, and when I heard the same bird wouldn't be returning for the new season, I just about gave up on it. I suppose I might still watch the show, out of curiosity, but I feel like it just won't be the same.
Every time I see that damn bird, I recall this thread on alt.tv.twin-peaks, and I giggle.

I'm easily amused.

/ I'm pro-bird, though, too
kitty666cats
RR Diner Member

Post by kitty666cats »

I'm rewatching the series right now, and I'm on S2 E19. I noticed there's a scene here I forgot about where Lana says that she wants Dwayne to let her win Miss Twin Peaks by rigging it. Made me think of how TSHOTP states that she won the pageant. Curious!
Silencio

Post by Silencio »

If I had to make a bet, I would say that the new Twin Peaks will definitely feature an alternate reality of some sort. This is a theme that is explored in Lost Highway, Mulholland Drive and Inland Empire. I think David Lynch probably contributed this idea to the new series as well. Lynch normally doesn't go out of his way to necessarily explain the alternate world. Mulholland Drive is a dream, but Lost Highway and Inland Empire's multiple worlds aren't as clearly defined. I think Mark would possibly try to explain this as an alternate timeline. I imagine Mark will let some of David's mysteries remain mysteries, but he will try and explain some of the surreal elements with logic in a similar way to Cooper's dream from the first season.

I can also picture some of the inconsistencies just being inconsistencies. Even the original show had inconsistencies with some of its episodes. That recent interview with Mark gives me the feeling that he is definitely into the idea of changing some stuff if he feels it suits the new story they are willing to tell. The only change I believe that they wouldn't make is Annie's existence. I am sure the question will be answered. The new Norma and Big Ed stuff though is probably the new canon to be honest.
RR Diner Member

Post by 4815162342 »

Norma change and Miss Twin Peaks change all point to Annie doesn't exist anymore. I am very pleased that Lynch didn't read the book, though.
sneakydave
RR Diner Member

Post by sneakydave »

4815162342 wrote:Norma change and Miss Twin Peaks change all point to Annie doesn't exist anymore. I am very pleased that Lynch didn't read the book, though.
Why does that fact make you happy?

Just out of interest.....
*M*A*Y*D*A*Y*
laughingpinecone
Great Northern Member

Post by laughingpinecone »

I don't really see how Lynch reading the book affects the project either way. The book was written with full knowledge of the new season, not the other way round, so...?

Anyway... You know how Frost keeps saying that the subjective nature of memories is the main drive behind the inconsistencies, right? I always thought he meant it as a... surrealistic hyperbole, if you will. Like the book exaggerates the unreliability of memories by casting doubt over even the most objective data (eg, Norma's mother and maiden name, which are furthermore 'verified' by another character whose very role is to double-check all this stuff). It's an effective surrealistic narrative device, I thought. Very fitting for Twin Peaks, well done.
...well, the more I read recent interviews to cast and crew about the production of the old show, with all their mysteries and contradictions, the less it sounds like hyperbole at all :oops: :lol:
] The gathered are known by their faces of stone.