The Secret History of Twin Peaks

Moderators: Brad D, Annie, Jonah, BookhouseBoyBob, Ross, Jerry Horne

dud
RR Diner Member

Re: SPOILERS: The Secret History of Twin Peaks

Post by dud »

cool cool thanks! yeah those were the two things i was thinking of

i also remember arbogast saying that the 1950's played a significant role in season three, wish we could go back and read his posts :(

something else i noticed that is odd regarding the whole I vs 1 thing:

pg 343: this is the page that the archivist claims to be briggs. he uses the I for 1 on this very page. the last paragraph of the page is as follows: "Without my knowing, Doug recorded our conversation. I found this tape the day after he died, sitting on my desk, where he'd left it for me. I here include the transcript from that point in our conversation forward."

the following page, 344, is the picture of the typewriter

then the transcript follows on page 345 - 348. on page 347, the font color is slightly different than the other three pages: it's got a slightly reddish tinge to it. and on this page, the person who transcribed this (presumably briggs, see paragraph above) uses the "1" key instead of the usual I for 1 substitution.

:?: :?: :?: :?:
Jerry Horne
Global Moderator

Post by Jerry Horne »

Unless it's just a mistake then Tamara is the one who altered the postcard. Or someone who had access to the dossier after it reached the FBI.
Attachments
Screen Shot 2016-10-23 at 6.37.25 PM.png
Screen Shot 2016-10-23 at 6.37.25 PM.png (79.38 KiB) Viewed 9595 times
RARE TWIN PEAKS COLLECTIBLES AT ---> WWW.TWINPEAKSGENERALSTORE.BLOGSPOT.COM
vicksvapor77
Great Northern Member

Post by vicksvapor77 »

Hey guys! I met Mark at his book signing on Saturday. Mark was so kind, generous and a great presenter. Made me forgive the inconsistencies a bit more, to be honest. He read some passages from the book (did a really funny impersonation of Mayor Milford tapping the mic) and also played some clips from the audio book.

I got a chance to ask him a few of my burning questions about a few of the inconsistencies at the signing table! These were what I asked about:

1) Lana winning Miss Twin Peaks 1989. Before I asked this, he had specifically mentioned this fact in his talk to all of us before he started signing books. I brought this up, saying Annie won and I asked something to the effect of am I not supposed to talk about Annie? And he kind of paused and said, "I can't really talk/not really supposed to talk about Annie. But Lana was definitely the winner of the 1989 Twin Peaks with her contortionist routine." Is he just messing with us at this point? He seemed sincere when he told me she won so maybe he just misremembered? Forgetting Windom's plight to take the winner of Miss Twin Peaks, who was Annie, seems very unlikely, though.

2) This led into me saying something was off with Norma's mom. He said something like, "That is a mystery that has yet to be unfolded" or "That is something that has yet to be revealed." So there's definitely something going on there for sure.

3) My last question was on Laura's age at her time of death. I noted the show said she was 17 but Jacoby says she is 18. He sort of smiled and laughed and said: "Well, one of us was wrong." I think this one might have been an outright continuity error based on his reaction, almost like he was surprised or hadn't realized it yet? I said something about well maybe Jacoby lied because he knew Laura was underage. I asked what I should think about her age and he said "I think Jacoby was wrong" or "I think Jacoby lied" or something like that. But I genuinely felt I kind of caught him by surprise on this one.

Don't know if any of this helps clarify anything or not but I wanted to share the information with all of you! It's frustrating when we don't know what continuity issues are intentional and which ones are errors because I'm sure not all of them mean something. We can say "Oh Mark is a genius, it's all an elaborate game!" but I honestly don't think that's the case. I think some of it is and some of it is just a sacrifice to 25 years having passed. We probably won't know which ones are mistakes until the new season airs.

EDIT: I haven't had a chance to dive much into the book yet, is Lana stated as the winner of Miss Twin Peaks 1989 in the actual book anywhere?
Jerry Horne
Global Moderator

Post by Jerry Horne »

Thanks.

That pretty much seals it for me concerning the woman once known as Annie.
RARE TWIN PEAKS COLLECTIBLES AT ---> WWW.TWINPEAKSGENERALSTORE.BLOGSPOT.COM
dud
RR Diner Member

Post by dud »

maybe when frost said that 'lana won' the contest with her act, he was making a joke, like saying her act was definitely the best act of the contest and in his eyes she is the real 'winner' although she didn't literally win the contest

another thought:

all the native american stuff in the book brings new meaning to 'i am the arm and i sound like this' whooping noise that the lmfap makes
Jacoby

Post by Jacoby »

So with the weird stuff going on with the use of "1" and "I" in this...

Is there anything going on with usages of zeroes and "O"s?

Is there a binary code running through this book?
crossoverman

Post by crossoverman »

vicksvapor77 wrote: EDIT: I haven't had a chance to dive much into the book yet, is Lana stated as the winner of Miss Twin Peaks 1989 in the actual book anywhere?
Thanks for asking those questions of Frost! Very interesting.

The book mentions Lana and Miss Twin Peaks but does not call her the winner. The winner is not discussed in the book.
dronerstone
RR Diner Member

Post by dronerstone »

dud wrote:cool cool thanks! yeah those were the two things i was thinking of

i also remember arbogast saying that the 1950's played a significant role in season three, wish we could go back and read his posts :(

something else i noticed that is odd regarding the whole I vs 1 thing:

pg 343: this is the page that the archivist claims to be briggs. he uses the I for 1 on this very page. the last paragraph of the page is as follows: "Without my knowing, Doug recorded our conversation. I found this tape the day after he died, sitting on my desk, where he'd left it for me. I here include the transcript from that point in our conversation forward."

the following page, 344, is the picture of the typewriter

then the transcript follows on page 345 - 348. on page 347, the font color is slightly different than the other three pages: it's got a slightly reddish tinge to it. and on this page, the person who transcribed this (presumably briggs, see paragraph above) uses the "1" key instead of the usual I for 1 substitution.

:?: :?: :?: :?:
If I'm correct, Cooper orally ingests a wee tiny bit of cocaine that day at Dead Dog Farm. I watched that episode just last night, currently doing a research.

And Briggs was still gone, meaning it either cannot really be him!!!!!!!!!! Or we have here another inconsistency.

Anyone?
dud
RR Diner Member

Post by dud »

oh wow i hadn't even thought of that, yeah the archivist says he found the tape on his desk 'the day after doug died', yet briggs is still missing at that point...
Mr. Reindeer
Lodge Member

Post by Mr. Reindeer »

Something I haven't seen referenced -- possibly inconsequential, but sorta interesting:

Sixteen-year-old Andrew Packard closes his newspaper article with the "there is more in heaven and Earth" quote from Hamlet (which he says he learned from Mrs. Loesch, his English teacher). Later, on p. 285, Nixon uses the same quote -- and Doug Milford says his scoutmaster used to say this. It's unclear who his scoutmaster was, but the scouts (and scout mentorship) clearly play a role in the book.
Audrey Horne
Lodge Member

Post by Audrey Horne »

Wow about Lana and Annie. So this indicates to me that Mark has somewhat rehearsed his plot points during these speeches. It's not just casual misremembering. For others coming to the scheduled talks, please take note of his mention of Lana. Wow, so Annie is being erased... Which to me is more important to her character than retconning. I wonder how she'll be factored in the new season... She's already much more interesting to me now, possibly her predicament even more tragic and horrifying.
God, I love this music. Isn't it too dreamy?
vicksvapor77
Great Northern Member

Post by vicksvapor77 »

Audrey Horne wrote:Wow about Lana and Annie. So this indicates to me that Mark has somewhat rehearsed his plot points during these speeches. It's not just casual misremembering. For others coming to the scheduled talks, please take note of his mention of Lana.
I agree, please make note of any reference to Lana and obviously Annie. I would be curious if he does the same readings and plays the same audio clips at all the signings, which is where the reference of Lana as Miss Twin Peaks 1989 first came into play (why I asked him at the table).

My event was one of the only free ones I believe, I was really lucky. It seemed like a smaller event than the others. My point is: Is Mark doing a Q&A at any of the other signings? Mine had the readings and audio clips and then right into the signings, no formal questions.
Mr. Reindeer
Lodge Member

Post by Mr. Reindeer »

vicksvapor77 wrote:It's frustrating when we don't know what continuity issues are intentional and which ones are errors because I'm sure not all of them mean something. We can say "Oh Mark is a genius, it's all an elaborate game!" but I honestly don't think that's the case. I think some of it is and some of it is just a sacrifice to 25 years having passed. We probably won't know which ones are mistakes until the new season airs.
This is exactly how I feel. The most blatant inconsistencies, particularly Norma's mom, are so obvious (particularly in light of Mark's attention to detail at other points, and the association with Annie) that they might well have some relationship to S3 story points. Many other more mundane inconsistencies (the mill sale date, Robert Jacoby's age and date of death) are pretty obviously just sloppiness, or in some cases perhaps intentional retconning (e.g., the Audrey letter).
vicksvapor77 wrote:My event was one of the only free ones I believe, I was really lucky. It seemed like a smaller event than the others. My point is: Is Mark doing a Q&A at any of the other signings? Mine had the readings and audio clips and then right into the signings, no formal questions.
Are they charging for other events? In my experience, book signings are generally free (with the caveat that you buy the book at that particular store). The NYC signing was free, approx. 150 people, same MO (readings and audio clips, then signing). I assume future events will be more or less the same. Unless he's more willing to do Q&A at later events once the book has been out longer and spoilers are less of a concern.
Ross
Global Moderator

Post by Ross »

Audrey Horne wrote:Wow about Lana and Annie. So this indicates to me that Mark has somewhat rehearsed his plot points during these speeches. It's not just casual misremembering. For others coming to the scheduled talks, please take note of his mention of Lana. Wow, so Annie is being erased... Which to me is more important to her character than retconning. I wonder how she'll be factored in the new season... She's already much more interesting to me now, possibly her predicament even more tragic and horrifying.
Yeah- it sounds as if Frost is deliberately throwing out the Lana as Miss TP line as a sort of clue. I've had a feeling for a while that they've had something unusual planned for Annie. I'm praying that Heather makes an appearance and they are keeping this aspect top secret. I think the thing with Norma's mom is also related.
"I can see half my life's history in your face... And I'm not sure that I want to."
http://twinpeakssoundtrackdesign.blogspot.com/
N. Needleman
Lodge Member

Post by N. Needleman »

I had a feeling the Lana line was scripted too. No avid fan is not going to know Annie won Miss Twin Peaks. Saying that in public seemed designed to troll the audience.

It could be two things: a) As I theorized before, Lana stepped in to win the crown she was stumping for due to the chaos at the pageant, or b) something far stranger is occurring. Though I assume it could be both.
AnotherBlueRoseCase wrote:The Return is clearly guaranteed a future audience among stoners and other drug users.