The Secret History of Twin Peaks

Moderators: Brad D, Annie, Jonah, BookhouseBoyBob, Ross, Jerry Horne

laughingpinecone
Great Northern Member

Re: SPOILERS: The Secret History of Twin Peaks

Post by laughingpinecone »

1. THIS IS GREAT I LOVE IT

2. Two years between the events of the show and the mysterious 1991 incident, two years between Laura's prophecy and present-day events. Huh.
2.5. so many mysterious dots on the timeline, come to think of it, not just the 1991 accident! The history of this dossier is filled with secrets.

3. Profiling the archivist: ...tbqh it sounds like Garland more than anyone else we know. At any rate, we're looking for someone who custom-made both dossier and box. This made me think of Pete and, while unlikely, it would be sweet.

4. Can we finally say with some degree of certainty that wearing the ring is bad news and not, in fact, an instrument of protection? I'm mostly invested in this because I believe that the latter interpretation robs Laura of her centrality in her own movie, but ascertaining that the ring is bad news also comes with the added bonus of giving Annie another snowball's chance in hell of surviving. Fingers crossed?

ETA: a stray comment on Reddit made me wonder one thing: 1991 seems to be a big date for the book. I think it would fit with the reports of "minimal post-cliffhanger content" if the book only covered the first two years of the timeskip, wouldn't it? I don't want to get my hopes up now, but I think it would be a good balance between leaving the characters' fates for the show to disclose and resolving the goddamn cliffhangers. Tell us how DoppelBOB disappears, if Annie wakes up from her coma, how Audrey survives that explosion, and see you all in 2017...
Last edited by laughingpinecone on Fri Sep 30, 2016 8:01 am, edited 1 time in total.
] The gathered are known by their faces of stone.
Jerry Horne
Global Moderator

Post by Jerry Horne »

Pages removed at the request of Pan Macmillan UK. They told me the iTunes preview was down as well.
RARE TWIN PEAKS COLLECTIBLES AT ---> WWW.TWINPEAKSGENERALSTORE.BLOGSPOT.COM
Shloogorgh
RR Diner Member

Post by Shloogorgh »

DeerMeadowRadio wrote:Hey Shloogorgh... we have been prepping for exactly that on my podcast Deer Meadow Radio. If interested check out episodes 8 (The NOT SO Secret History of Twin Peaks) and 9 (Cavemen and Amera-Indians) which are focused on the Guide and also its relationship with the upcoming Secret History.

http://www.deermeadowradio.libsyn.com

Also stay tuned for the next 2 episodes -- we talk to Ken Scherer, former Lynch/Frost Productions COO, exclusively about the Guide, and then finish our coverage of the book itself in the next couple of weeks...just before you know what is published.
Awesome, I'll give it a listen!
LonelySoul
RR Diner Member

Post by LonelySoul »

Is there already a discrepancy in the book or am I missing something? In the beginning there is a reference to a town in the northwest part of Washington state where Cooper was doing investigating (which I assumed meant Twin Peaks), but then in the pilot episode Dale Cooper himself describes the location of the town as being "five miles south of the Canadian border, 12 miles west of the state line" (putting Twin Peaks in northeast Washington, not northwest).
Come hang out at http://www.reddit.com/r/twinpeaks. I'm /u/iswitt, one of the moderators.
laughingpinecone
Great Northern Member

Good point. However, a few pages later, the journals firmly put TP's waterfall in the North-eastern corner of the state, like in the show.

...where's Deer Meadow, anyway?
Clueless
Roadhouse Member

Post by Clueless »

laughingpinecone wrote:1. THIS IS GREAT I LOVE IT
ETA: a stray comment on Reddit made me wonder one thing: 1991 seems to be a big date for the book. I think it would fit with the reports of "minimal post-cliffhanger content" if the book only covered the first two years of the timeskip, wouldn't it?
That would be ideal for me! Having it cover the events up to the beginning of S3 would be jarring and bothersome as one would be going into the new season with a bunch of new character's, events and locations vividly imagined a certain way which would have to be corrected again once we see how Lynch/Frost envision it.

I prefer S3E1 one to be as surprising as new as possible, without trying to recall passages from the books every-time a new character walks in or unfamiliar event is mentioned. Neither do I want to be waiting around for folks to mention the Bank explosion or Briggs during the premiere. The 1991 end-date would end both those qualms.
Cerulean
Roadhouse Member

Post by Cerulean »

laughingpinecone wrote:2. Two years between the events of the show and the mysterious 1991 incident, two years between Laura's prophecy and present-day events. Huh.
That's a really interesting observation actually! I'm still utterly confused about the 2016 dates on Gordon's memo/the box, but with this in mind it at least makes a bit more sense. There could be something at bigger at play re: dates and timelines, as Mark suggested when season 3 was announced.
laughingpinecone wrote:3. Profiling the archivist: ...tbqh it sounds like Garland more than anyone else we know. At any rate, we're looking for someone who custom-made both dossier and box.
My money's on Major Briggs too. But I'm open to the possibility of it being a surprise (Mark said we don't find out who he is until near the end of the book), even if it's more minor character we wouldn't expect. I mean, no one would have guessed Dougie Milford (of all people) would show up in the teaser trailer and have a connection to Project Bluebook.
laughingpinecone wrote:ETA: a stray comment on Reddit made me wonder one thing: 1991 seems to be a big date for the book. I think it would fit with the reports of "minimal post-cliffhanger content" if the book only covered the first two years of the timeskip, wouldn't it?
Heh, I think that was me — but yes, I absolutely agree. I doubt we'd get anything on Cooper/doppelCoop, but certainly about the post-season 2 crime that the agent references (interesting speculation here about Annie's murder, that hadn't even crossed my mind) or an ambigious/mysterious event that would later be referenced in season 3.
OK,Bob
RR Diner Member

Post by OK,Bob »

laughingpinecone wrote: ...where's Deer Meadow, anyway?
The real-world town of Naselle, WA is right around where Deer Meadow would be. Mileage to the FBI office in Portland matches Sam's report in the MP, "It was 105 miles."

Edit: Correction - I'd forgotten Banks was found on the Wind River, which would put Deer Meadow northeast of Portland, not northwest. I'm sad to report that you really can't make a trip from Portland to anywhere near Wind River that'd be over about 85 miles. Perhaps Stanley got lost?
Last edited by OK,Bob on Sat Oct 01, 2016 9:47 am, edited 1 time in total.
"OK, Bob. OK, BOB. OK." -Audrey Horne
Mr. Reindeer
Lodge Member

Post by Mr. Reindeer »

LonelySoul wrote:Is there already a discrepancy in the book or am I missing something? In the beginning there is a reference to a town in the northwest part of Washington state where Cooper was doing investigating (which I assumed meant Twin Peaks), but then in the pilot episode Dale Cooper himself describes the location of the town as being "five miles south of the Canadian border, 12 miles west of the state line" (putting Twin Peaks in northeast Washington, not northwest).
This is probably an inconsistency carried over from the original Pilot shoot - the "Northwest Passage" script was written to take place in northeastern Washington. Once Lynch decided to shoot in the Seattle area (in northWEST Washington), he changed references to Ponderosa Pines (eastern Wa.) to Douglas Firs (western Wa.), but neglected to change Coop's line. The show was shot in, and clearly looks like, western Wa., but Coop's reference to eastern Wa. remains the only definitive dialogue reference to the town's location. However, the show occasionally refers to Seattle as being relatively close (e.g., Lucy implies in Episode 10 that the Space Needle in Seattle is within driving distance for dinner), despite it being four hours' drive from the town's alleged eastern-border location.

I personally don't mind terribly if the book / new season prolong old discrepancies, so long as they don't create too many egregious new ones.
Eater of Iguanas
RR Diner Member

Post by Eater of Iguanas »

Mr. Reindeer wrote:he changed references to Ponderosa Pines (eastern Wa.) to Douglas Firs (western Wa.)
Ha, never was aware of this - I presume you get this from a comparison with the Northwest Passage script available online. I've read only a bit of it.

I find it kind of delightful that his father's professional specialties carried over into the care given to this detail by a filmmaker not noted for bothering himself about "realism."
Mace

Post by Mace »

I believe TP's first name is "Thomas" and the last name is possibly Patton, Packard or Parsons.
Attachments
image.jpg
image.jpg (8.49 KiB) Viewed 10164 times
krishnanspace
Bookhouse Member

Post by krishnanspace »

Or plot twist. Agent Teresa Palmer :D
laughingpinecone
Great Northern Member

Mace wrote:I believe TP's first name is "Thomas" and the last name is possibly Patton, Packard or Parsons.
According to the synopsis, TP is supposed to be a woman!

Krishnanspace, I read it as Teresa Palmer too :lol:
madeleineferguson
RR Diner Member

Post by madeleineferguson »

I think it's Teresa too, as a throwback to Teresa Banks. Can't think of many longish female names. Maybe Tallulah?!?

Palmer, Packard, Pulaski... while it would be so exciting to have an FBI agent who was related to an original character, I'm doubtful. In Gordon Cole's letter to the agent, he explains the background of the case as if the agent has no prior knowledge of the facts.

Blacking out the name of T---- P---- feels a lot like Kill Bill and Beatrix Kiddo. There is probably no real reason for keeping her name from us, but it certainly does heighten our curiosity.
Mace

Post by Mace »

laughingpinecone wrote:
Mace wrote:I believe TP's first name is "Thomas" and the last name is possibly Patton, Packard or Parsons.
According to the synopsis, TP is supposed to be a woman!

Krishnanspace, I read it as Teresa Palmer too :lol:
Haha! Sometimes I can't see the forest for the trees (fir trees that is.) :lol:

Maybe it's another Denis/Denise thing going on. Lol

Or maybe, as you say, it's Teresa/Theresa.