The Secret History of Twin Peaks

Moderators: Brad D, Annie, Jonah, BookhouseBoyBob, Ross, Jerry Horne

mtwentz
Lodge Member

Re: SPOILERS: The Secret History of Twin Peaks

Post by mtwentz »

Snailhead wrote:LOL if Laura had just faked her death all along, at this point that would completely ruin the integrity of the series...
Of course we've seen that ploy used in several daytime dramas over the year, buttes it would seem to be a cheap ploy to be used on Twin Peaks.
F*&^ you Gene Kelly
Snailhead
Great Northern Member

Post by Snailhead »

I kind of feel like the soap-opera element, beautifully as it was executed earlier on, will sort of be dropped by the wayside. I don't mind either way, but I just don't get the impression that satirizing soap operas is of interest to Frost or Lynch at this point. Any thoughts?
N. Needleman
Lodge Member

Post by N. Needleman »

I strongly suspect plenty of the existing townsfolk still have their own little storylines.
AnotherBlueRoseCase wrote:The Return is clearly guaranteed a future audience among stoners and other drug users.
Ross
Global Moderator

Post by Ross »

N. Needleman wrote:I strongly suspect plenty of the existing townsfolk still have their own little storylines.
Agree.
"I can see half my life's history in your face... And I'm not sure that I want to."
http://twinpeakssoundtrackdesign.blogspot.com/
Panapaok
Bookhouse Member

Post by Panapaok »

N. Needleman wrote:I strongly suspect plenty of the existing townsfolk still have their own little storylines.
Yup, that's my feeling as well.
This is - excuse me - a damn fine cup of coffee.
Snailhead
Great Northern Member

Post by Snailhead »

I do hope so! I hope there's a way to connect all the little stories, the way that everything felt connected in Season 1 with reacting to Laura's murder.
Adolphus
Roadhouse Member

Post by Adolphus »

Snailhead wrote:I kind of feel like the soap-opera element, beautifully as it was executed earlier on, will sort of be dropped by the wayside. I don't mind either way, but I just don't get the impression that satirizing soap operas is of interest to Frost or Lynch at this point. Any thoughts?
I agree. I've been thinking that maybe the people who are most worried about how different the new season will be from the original, are the ones who liked the soap opera element of the series ( they might also be the ones who like the series but who aren't necessarily David Lynch fans- something that still boggles my mind kind frankly ). Personally, the soap opera element was the part of TP that I liked the least- it was an interesting series to me for how it expanded outside of those televisual confines.
Snailhead
Great Northern Member

Post by Snailhead »

Manwith wrote:Here's my random ass theory on the continuity errors:

Gordon Cole altered the archive before giving it to Special Agent Tamara Preston.

Why would he do this?

Suppose Annie never woke up from the coma, but emerged from the lodge pregnant?

Could her child be old enough to be a rookie FBI agent who is being gently introduced to the mysteries of Twin Peaks before she's ready to learn the whole truth? It's possible my theory is too "Star Wars" ish.
I'd buy Annie being pregnant and having his child, but not for that child to go on to be FBI, methinks that would be a little too on the nose.
madeleineferguson
RR Diner Member

Post by madeleineferguson »

I don't think Gordon Cole would ever alter any evidence.

Kind of like how Laura's Secret Diary was found and had some pages torn out, the dossier must have been discovered and altered by someone. Though I get the feeling that whoever redacted Annie Blackburn from the dossier did so to protect her somehow.
motorcycleaupairboy

Post by motorcycleaupairboy »

I'm only partially through the book myself, but from what I have read here I already know that the archivist, at least for a former portion, is Major Briggs.
What I find strange is the obviously doctored and false documents, such as Douglas Milford's Roswell pass. The Pass doesn't seem to have a signature on it and is almost confirmed as a forgery as the picture has been stuck onto the card itself, cutting off a portion of the text. Similarly the picture is the exact same one used 7 years previous on his air force records (why would they use a picture that was almost a decade old?), which seem forged themselves, missing crucial information as well. Apologies if this is well worn territory.

What struck me about all this is that in the series Garland would rather not say anything at all than to make up lies, going as far as to stop himself even when he was explicitly giving Cooper and Harry information (''that's classified''). I seem to remember portions of Season 2 where Briggs had to ''invent'' new ways to give them information, behaviour which seemed to stem from a personal conviction and moral code as much as the legal/security parameters of his job. I know people have mentioned at length the inconsistencies with the book, but I don't believe that Briggs would purposefully invent portions of the dossier, it's simply not in his character. If he intended to misinform or to channel the narrative in some way, I believe he would do it through the absence of facts as opposed to the invention of.

(Just to be clear I don't believe this is an issue with Frost's writing which I know some have an issue with, but rather that it suggests to me there are exceptional circumstances at play that have led Garland to act outside of his usual conduct, or that there is even more tampering going on than first thought.)
Cappy
Great Northern Member

Post by Cappy »

motorcycleaupairboy wrote:I'm only partially through the book myself, but from what I have read here I already know that the archivist, at least for a former portion, is Major Briggs.
What I find strange is the obviously doctored and false documents, such as Douglas Milford's Roswell pass. The Pass doesn't seem to have a signature on it and is almost confirmed as a forgery as the picture has been stuck onto the card itself, cutting off a portion of the text. Similarly the picture is the exact same one used 7 years previous on his air force records (why would they use a picture that was almost a decade old?), which seem forged themselves, missing crucial information as well. Apologies if this is well worn territory.

What struck me about all this is that in the series Garland would rather not say anything at all than to make up lies, going as far as to stop himself even when he was explicitly giving Cooper and Harry information (''that's classified''). I seem to remember portions of Season 2 where Briggs had to ''invent'' new ways to give them information, behaviour which seemed to stem from a personal conviction and moral code as much as the legal/security parameters of his job. I know people have mentioned at length the inconsistencies with the book, but I don't believe that Briggs would purposefully invent portions of the dossier, it's simply not in his character. If he intended to misinform or to channel the narrative in some way, I believe he would do it through the absence of facts as opposed to the invention of.

(Just to be clear I don't believe this is an issue with Frost's writing which I know some have an issue with, but rather that it suggests to me there are exceptional circumstances at play that have led Garland to act outside of his usual conduct, or that there is even more tampering going on than first thought.)

The first thing that jumped out at me about the Doug Milford stuff was the fact that his government career played out a lot like Wyndom Earle's, or what I imagined Earle's career to be like anyway. That, coupled with the fact that Earle is largely absent from the book, had me suspecting that Earle had been deleted from the documents and replaced with Doug Milford. Of course, the timeline is a bit off in some parts, as Doug seems to be at least 15-20 years older than Earle, and Earle was institutionalized during some of Maj. Briggs final interactions with Doug.

But Briggs and Earle both worked on Blue Book together, so it is strange he would gloss over that. And Doug's Roswell pass photo did bear a slight resemblance to Earle, but maybe that's just me.

Even without this though, why would Briggs not delve into Earle?

Either way, I really appreciated the way Frost fleshed out Doug Milford's character.
krishnanspace
Bookhouse Member

Post by krishnanspace »

Dont know if it has been pointed out,but friend found out some interesting stuff.There are 2 instances of Milfords signatures where both the signatures dont match
mine
Roadhouse Member

Post by mine »

Cappy wrote:
motorcycleaupairboy wrote:I'm only partially through the book myself, but from what I have read here I already know that the archivist, at least for a former portion, is Major Briggs.

The first thing that jumped out at me about the Doug Milford stuff was the fact that his government career played out a lot like Wyndom Earle's, or what I imagined Earle's career to be like anyway. That, coupled with the fact that Earle is largely absent from the book, had me suspecting that Earle had been deleted from the documents and replaced with Doug Milford. Of course, the timeline is a bit off in some parts, as Doug seems to be at least 15-20 years older than Earle, and Earle was institutionalized during some of Maj. Briggs final interactions with Doug.

But Briggs and Earle both worked on Blue Book together, so it is strange he would gloss over that. And Doug's Roswell pass photo did bear a slight resemblance to Earle, but maybe that's just me.

Even without this though, why would Briggs not delve into Earle?

Either way, I really appreciated the way Frost fleshed out Doug Milford's character.
Earl couldn't be old enough to be the guy in the Roswell pass photo in 1947. Kenneth Welsh was born in 1942 and it makes sense for Earl to be around the same age since it makes him over a decade older than Cooper. The age difference with Doug is more likely double the amount you estimated.
kitty666cats
RR Diner Member

Post by kitty666cats »

Has anyone compiled a comprehensive list of who does what voices for the audiobook? I know Amy Shiels did a voice for the book. I have a theory that, if she does the voice for young Norma, perhaps that could mean she plays a possible daughter of Ed and Norma in the new season! :o

I forget who else slated to be in S3 does voices in the audiobook. Robert Knepper, I think?
mtwentz
Lodge Member

Post by mtwentz »

kitty666cats wrote:Has anyone compiled a comprehensive list of who does what voices for the audiobook? I know Amy Shiels did a voice for the book. I have a theory that, if she does the voice for young Norma, perhaps that could mean she plays a possible daughter of Ed and Norma in the new season! :o

I forget who else slated to be in S3 does voices in the audiobook. Robert Knepper, I think?
I thought it was already determined there was no correlation between the reading of characters in the book and who the actor might play in the series.
F*&^ you Gene Kelly