The Secret History of Twin Peaks

Moderators: Brad D, Annie, Jonah, BookhouseBoyBob, Ross, Jerry Horne

L. Hazanko

Re: SPOILERS: The Secret History of Twin Peaks

Post by L. Hazanko »

djerdap wrote:The alternate timeline is something that I suspected ever since that leaked photo of Jacques Renault from the Roadhouse.
Ooh, I haven't seen that!

My thinking is also influenced by, to be sensitive of anyone in this thread who may be avoiding the season 3 spoilers thread, the fan footage out there of a scene being shot at night in WA. What we saw there is hard to explain with our current understanding. But perhaps we are going to be seeing another side where events have played out differently.
sylviecerise
Roadhouse Member

Post by sylviecerise »

GeekBoyEric74 wrote: From what I read, it says Ed met Nadine in 1984, some five years before the show took place. What seems to be their first meeting is being recounted by Hawk, who describes her as having gone to high school with them, but was "a few years behind them" in age- which explains why she was 35 in 1989, when Ed and Norma were at least 38. Ed rushes to her aid after nearly killing her by accident. Also, her name is given as Nadie Gertz, not Nadine Butler. Ed's story on the series seemed to have her hooking up with Nadine after Norma ran out on him "straight out of high school" and marrying Hank. And then Ed shooting Nadine's eye out on their Honeymoon, which was described as being about 20 years prior. Like I said, Mark Frost wrote the episode which gave Nadine's backstory, so he couldn't have just forgotten. None of this matches up.
Thanks! I agree that there's no way that Mark Frost forgot or just decided to rewrite a bunch of this history. Ed & Nadine's story is a really important part of his character and the scene where he recounts it to Cooper is one of the most touching moments in the series imo (if it can get to Albert, it can get to anyone). This definitely adds some weight to the whole alternate timeline theory—perhaps we're finally seeing the second of two worlds. I trust that Lynch & Frost could do a parallel worlds story in a compelling manner, but I really really hope that it doesn't take away from the weight of the existing characters & their stories. :\
dkenny78
RR Diner Member

Post by dkenny78 »

I find it hard to believe that Frost would remember minor characters like Dougie Milford and forget important backstory from some of the most prominent characters on the show. The entire Ed/Nadine dynamic (as well as the dynamic between Norma and Hank and Ed and Norma) is built on the sadness of how a few bad choices from your youth can have profound and long-lasting ramifications on your life and happiness. There's got to be something else at work here.
Ross
Global Moderator

Post by Ross »

Ugh- the messing up the Nadine/Ed stuff is really annoying. Not even the same Maiden name??
"I can see half my life's history in your face... And I'm not sure that I want to."
http://twinpeakssoundtrackdesign.blogspot.com/
Soolsma
Bookhouse Member

Post by Soolsma »

Carrie Page: "It's a long way... In those days, I was too young to know any better."
mtwentz
Lodge Member

Post by mtwentz »

Fred Crisman was referenced in the leaked pages? This is going to be interesting, since he's leaked to both UFOs and the Kennedy Assassination. I remember hearing a good long segment about him a few years back on Coast to Coast AM with George Noory.
F*&^ you Gene Kelly
Jerry Horne
Global Moderator

Post by Jerry Horne »

There is a picture of 'The Three Tramps' from the Kennedy Assassination as well. Interesting.
RARE TWIN PEAKS COLLECTIBLES AT ---> WWW.TWINPEAKSGENERALSTORE.BLOGSPOT.COM
Jerry Horne
Global Moderator

Post by Jerry Horne »

djerdap wrote:The alternate timeline is something that I suspected ever (season 3 spoiler) since a leaked photo of Jacques Renault from the Roadhouse came out.
I think it would be more accurate to say we saw a picture of Walter Olkewicz :)
RARE TWIN PEAKS COLLECTIBLES AT ---> WWW.TWINPEAKSGENERALSTORE.BLOGSPOT.COM
N. Needleman
Lodge Member

Post by N. Needleman »

The Renaults bred like lemmings.
AnotherBlueRoseCase wrote:The Return is clearly guaranteed a future audience among stoners and other drug users.
beano
Roadhouse Member

Post by beano »

ive had this speculation brewing in my head for awhile that the new series will reveal that there was a particular moment in the original series where reality shifted and therefore everything that happened following that moment was either not true, not entirely true, or beyond what we know as truth. My guess is that this moment would either be when cooper was shot or the mysterious three day interval after leland died. this broad reaching piece of retcon would also serve as a commentary for how lynch/frost felt the series got off track. and it would also account for some of the "discrepancies" we're hearing about from the book. following this logic, maybe the final episode of s2 marked a tragic return to reality as we know it. whatever the case, i think that s3 is going to completely annihilate what we think we know about the original series..
mtwentz
Lodge Member

Post by mtwentz »

beano wrote:ive had this speculation brewing in my head for awhile that the new series will reveal that there was a particular moment in the original series where reality shifted and therefore everything that happened following that moment was either not true, not entirely true, or beyond what we know as truth. My guess is that this moment would either be when cooper was shot or the mysterious three day interval after leland died. this broad reaching piece of retcon would also serve as a commentary for how lynch/frost felt the series got off track. and it would also account for some of the "discrepancies" we're hearing about from the book. following this logic, maybe the final episode of s2 marked a tragic return to reality as we know it. whatever the case, i think that s3 is going to completely annihilate what we think we know about the original series..
I don't think there is anything in the leaked pages that would point to that- that being said, nothing says the Series has to faithfully follow the book.

My guess is that there will be multiple interpretations of what ultimately makes it into the series :-). Was it a dream? A reality shift? a parallel universe? an identity crisis?
F*&^ you Gene Kelly
LonelySoul
RR Diner Member

Post by LonelySoul »

beano wrote:ive had this speculation brewing in my head for awhile that the new series will reveal that there was a particular moment in the original series where reality shifted and therefore everything that happened following that moment was either not true, not entirely true, or beyond what we know as truth. My guess is that this moment would either be when cooper was shot or the mysterious three day interval after leland died. this broad reaching piece of retcon would also serve as a commentary for how lynch/frost felt the series got off track. and it would also account for some of the "discrepancies" we're hearing about from the book. following this logic, maybe the final episode of s2 marked a tragic return to reality as we know it. whatever the case, i think that s3 is going to completely annihilate what we think we know about the original series..

Please don't let this be true. I'd die.
Come hang out at http://www.reddit.com/r/twinpeaks. I'm /u/iswitt, one of the moderators.
Ross
Global Moderator

Post by Ross »

The botching of the Ed/Nadine story is really hard to understand. Especially since Frost wrote episode 8. And isn't Nadine's maiden name of Butler mentioned more than once in the series?

Even more frustrating than the tattoo switch.
"I can see half my life's history in your face... And I'm not sure that I want to."
http://twinpeakssoundtrackdesign.blogspot.com/
LonelySoul
RR Diner Member

Post by LonelySoul »

Ross wrote:The botching of the Ed/Nadine story is really hard to understand. Especially since Frost wrote episode 8. And isn't Nadine's maiden name of Butler mentioned more than once in the series?

Even more frustrating than the tattoo switch.

I guess we'll all find out in due time. But yeah, this is shaping up to potentially be a really frustrating book.
Come hang out at http://www.reddit.com/r/twinpeaks. I'm /u/iswitt, one of the moderators.
Soolsma
Bookhouse Member

Post by Soolsma »

Ross wrote:And isn't Nadine's maiden name of Butler mentioned more than once in the series?
I'm just rewatching episode 17 now (or s2e10), the one after Leland's death, and that is, as far as I know, the only occasion on which she ever says: 'Nadine Butler' (at the cheerleader try-outs).One could argue that she was in a fugue state at the time and didn't know what she was saying.

Maybe there are other occasions, I'm not sure.
Carrie Page: "It's a long way... In those days, I was too young to know any better."