SPOILERS: Inconsistencies in the Secret History of Twin Peaks

Moderators: Brad D, Annie, Jonah, BookhouseBoyBob, Ross, Jerry Horne

N. Needleman
Lodge Member

Re: SPOILERS: Inconsistencies in the Secret History of Twin Peaks

Post by N. Needleman »

The moon landing gaffe is the one that may have potentially sold me on this all being at least semi-intentional. That is not something I believe Frost would ever miss.

Other stuff, like the Josie retcon, is clearly a very specific (and in her case, canon-compliant) choice to, as Frost told the Wall Street Journal about that exact character, beef up a storyline he felt was not well-served in the original series. I suspect much of the Norma/Ed/Nadine material is the same, though there are definite suspect discrepancies in there as well.

Things like the locations of Wind River/Deer Meadow/TP are just generalizations, IMO, as is mentioning Lana in regard to Miss Twin Peaks. (Though I can totally see the widow Milford demanding a recount after the assault and hostage-taking mid-ceremony.)
AnotherBlueRoseCase wrote:The Return is clearly guaranteed a future audience among stoners and other drug users.
Ross
Global Moderator

Post by Ross »

Frost saying that Lana was Miss TP 1989 has me thinking even more about my initial gut thought about the book- that something odd is going on in regards to Annie. Perhaps certain things were altered by someone to erase Annie, or there's a version of history where she doesn't exist. As in Norma's parentage is different, Lana "won" the contest, etc. I do think she will come into play in S3. At one point when the show was first announced, Frost had said the answer to the "How's Annie" question was "complicated". Maybe part of these inconsistencies lead back to this same question?
"I can see half my life's history in your face... And I'm not sure that I want to."
http://twinpeakssoundtrackdesign.blogspot.com/
N. Needleman
Lodge Member

Post by N. Needleman »

Who was it who once said Annie might have ended up being tied directly to the White Lodge in Season 3? Engels or Peyton, or just that graphic novel guy?

I'll admit I once (years ago) entertained the thought of her being more a spirit or totemic icon than a person, an unwitting agent of the Lodge sent to guide Cooper along a higher path.
AnotherBlueRoseCase wrote:The Return is clearly guaranteed a future audience among stoners and other drug users.
Jerry Horne
Global Moderator

Post by Jerry Horne »

Ross wrote:Frost saying that Lana was Miss TP 1989 has me thinking even more about my initial gut thought about the book- that something odd is going on in regards to Annie. Perhaps certain things were altered by someone to erase Annie, or there's a version of history where she doesn't exist. As in Norma's parentage is different, Lana "won" the contest, etc. I do think she will come into play in S3. At one point when the show was first announced, Frost had said the answer to the "How's Annie" question was "complicated". Maybe part of these inconsistencies lead back to this same question?
I'm intrigued.

We see her out of time in FWWM.

How's Annie? Laughter.
RARE TWIN PEAKS COLLECTIBLES AT ---> WWW.TWINPEAKSGENERALSTORE.BLOGSPOT.COM
Jerry Horne
Global Moderator

Post by Jerry Horne »

I'm now wondering if we are starting to see two different versions of events/timelines forming? Maybe something to do with good Coop/bad Coop?

When Coop says How's Annie, is there a deeper meaning in that question? I think Annie is the only character we see in the Red Room ep 29 actually fade to nothing. Disappearing from a timeline?

"All will be revealed in time."
Noidea

Post by Noidea »

I've always felt like Annie was too important to simply be retconned out. They could've just said she recovered and moved away, or died later in hospital.

Doppelgänger Coop would want her out of the picture since she is one of the only people who could've blown his cover. Also perhaps Briggs - but he may have taken care of that too and Good Coop would know he would surely come for Annie next. He's not much help to her trapped inside the longe so could perhaps try and alter time somehow for her protection.

Another possibility is the ring has some kind of influence in fracturing time. Who knows what that evil nurse was really up to.

Would Harry have suspected something was wrong with Coop as well? Is it wishful thinking to hope that the timeline was altered to remove these people from Doppelgänger Coop's way, so they could possibly make a surprise appearance?
StealThisCorn
RR Diner Member
Location: Laying on Laura's lap in the Red Room / Gorging on garmonbozia with Bob Above the Convenience Store

Post by StealThisCorn »

Didn't see these mentioned specifically in this thread yet so here's a few more (apologies for any accidental redundancies).

On page 179, the Twin Peaks high school football team is referred to as “the Lumberjacks”. The Twin Peaks high school football team had previously been established as “the Steeplejacks” throughout the series as well as tie-in media.

On page 181, references are made to Hank Jennings being involved in Jean Renault's criminal enterprise for a long while, yet in the series Jean Renault doesn't seem to know who Hank is and even at first assumes him to be "Daryl Lodwick" because of the badge he lifted off the D.A. at the diner.

On page 198, Frost, writing as Hawk, identifies Nadine’s maiden name as “Nadine Gertz”, despite her maiden name in the original series being “Butler”, as she announced when she applied for cheerleader tryouts.

Audrey’s “letter” to her father on page 229 makes zero sense in the context of where her character was in Episode 29 when she chained herself to the bank vault. The letter reads as if it was written by Audrey in Season 1. There seems to be no awareness whatsoever of the fact that, by that point in the series, Ben Horne had become consumed by a desire to do good and atone for his past crimes and that Audrey had expressly chained herself to the bank vault to uselessly protest Catherine Martell’s Ghostwood development plans. This version actually makes me wonder if this was always a plot point Frost had in mind for Audrey’s character arc way back in Season 1 and the details got jumbled around when Ben woke up from his Civil War fantasy B-plot as a saint. It would sort of make sense as the ultimate act of teenage rebellion against her corrupt tycoon father.

On page 286, Frost writes that Douglas Milford wrote an editorial endorsing his brother’s candidacy for mayor and that these turned out to be the last kind words he ever said or printed about Dwayne. Yet, in Episode 17 of the original series, Pete relayed the story of how Dougie came out against his brother in the paper, even though Dwayne Milford was running unopposed!
OK,Bob
RR Diner Member

Post by OK,Bob »

Jerry Horne wrote:I think Annie is the only character we see in the Red Room ep 29 actually fade to nothing.
Little Jimmy Scott fades away like that. And Maddy, as well, after the "Watch out for my cousin" line.
"OK, Bob. OK, BOB. OK." -Audrey Horne
LonelySoul
RR Diner Member

Post by LonelySoul »

Ross wrote:Frost saying that Lana was Miss TP 1989 has me thinking even more about my initial gut thought about the book- that something odd is going on in regards to Annie. Perhaps certain things were altered by someone to erase Annie, or there's a version of history where she doesn't exist. As in Norma's parentage is different, Lana "won" the contest, etc. I do think she will come into play in S3. At one point when the show was first announced, Frost had said the answer to the "How's Annie" question was "complicated". Maybe part of these inconsistencies lead back to this same question?
Audrey Horne wrote:Frost didn't actually say Lana won Miss TP... He said "you might remember her as 1989's Miss Twin Peaks." I took it as him using a broad stroke to describe a forgotten footnote character to the average viewer.
I don't know. The wording does seem indicate he's saying she was that year's winner. Perhaps since Annie quite literally vanished right as she won, Lana simply took up the crown and claimed victory? She seems like the type that would do that.
Come hang out at http://www.reddit.com/r/twinpeaks. I'm /u/iswitt, one of the moderators.
Jerry Horne
Global Moderator

Post by Jerry Horne »

OK,Bob wrote:
Jerry Horne wrote:I think Annie is the only character we see in the Red Room ep 29 actually fade to nothing.
Little Jimmy Scott fades away like that. And Maddy, as well, after the "Watch out for my cousin" line.
Ah, good catch.
Jerry Horne
Global Moderator

Post by Jerry Horne »

LonelySoul wrote:
Audrey Horne wrote:Frost didn't actually say Lana won Miss TP... He said "you might remember her as 1989's Miss Twin Peaks." I took it as him using a broad stroke to describe a forgotten footnote character to the average viewer.
I don't know. The wording does seem indicate he's saying she was that year's winner. Perhaps since Annie quite literally vanished right as she won, Lana simply took up the crown and claimed victory? She seems like the type that would do that.
With Annie in a hospital bed only able to mumble about rings, maybe she was unfit and Lana was the runner up. We know that she stayed in town long enough to even start the process.
AgentCoop
Roadhouse Member

Post by AgentCoop »

Lana would've grabbed that crown and put it on her head while Windom Earle was still in the building.
I'm an admin for The Genius Of David Lynch, Facebook's best DL group. Hit us up to join: https://www.facebook.com/groups/1374245592894483/
Dead Dog
RR Diner Member

Post by Dead Dog »

Also, remember the scene in Episode 23 (I think) when Norma confirms to Shelly that her younger sister is indeed coming to Twin Peaks, she says something along the lines of "Annie was always different, like she was from another time and place." I'm paraphrasing, but that was the gist of it. Anyway, that bit of dialog really stuck out to me yesterday while watching, in light of these Secret History of TP devolpments. As someone else mentioned earlier, maybe Annie is a kind of dweller between the two worlds and was part of some grand design to get Cooper into the Lodge, or something along those lines.
Audrey Horne
Lodge Member

Post by Audrey Horne »

Hmmm, I guess we'll have to wait and see if Frost uses the exact same casual wording at this next B&N signing. Especially if this was one of his notes that he's glancing at the podium. Because it certainly seemed like he said it to jog our memory of a tv show from a long time ago of a minor character. And if not, why would he say, "you might remember..."? A hard core fan certainly would not remember that since it didn't happen. Is he trying a magic mind trick on us that has been rehearsed? I might be making an assumption but being fairly close to seeing his facial expression, it looked more like he was equating sheepishly a character and an event in his show that was not in his mind a high bench mark. Doug Milford was the main point, and Frost needed a quick moniker for the Lana character before moving on with his audience.

Now Annie might have disappeared, like she does in Lodge. But we might have to have something in the novel to reinforce the idea of something or someone gone in order for it to have any dramatic effect. Like in Norma's backstory a sentence buried in text of her being an only child, etc. Something that when reading casual or the first time would be glanced over by most, but upon further inspection indicates the answer was always there.
God, I love this music. Isn't it too dreamy?
LonelySoul
RR Diner Member

Post by LonelySoul »

StealThisCorn wrote:Didn't see these mentioned specifically in this thread yet so here's a few more (apologies for any accidental redundancies).

On page 179, the Twin Peaks high school football team is referred to as “the Lumberjacks”. The Twin Peaks high school football team had previously been established as “the Steeplejacks” throughout the series as well as tie-in media.

On page 181, references are made to Hank Jennings being involved in Jean Renault's criminal enterprise for a long while, yet in the series Jean Renault doesn't seem to know who Hank is and even at first assumes him to be "Daryl Lodwick" because of the badge he lifted off the D.A. at the diner.

On page 198, Frost, writing as Hawk, identifies Nadine’s maiden name as “Nadine Gertz”, despite her maiden name in the original series being “Butler”, as she announced when she applied for cheerleader tryouts.

Audrey’s “letter” to her father on page 229 makes zero sense in the context of where her character was in Episode 29 when she chained herself to the bank vault. The letter reads as if it was written by Audrey in Season 1. There seems to be no awareness whatsoever of the fact that, by that point in the series, Ben Horne had become consumed by a desire to do good and atone for his past crimes and that Audrey had expressly chained herself to the bank vault to uselessly protest Catherine Martell’s Ghostwood development plans. This version actually makes me wonder if this was always a plot point Frost had in mind for Audrey’s character arc way back in Season 1 and the details got jumbled around when Ben woke up from his Civil War fantasy B-plot as a saint. It would sort of make sense as the ultimate act of teenage rebellion against her corrupt tycoon father.

On page 286, Frost writes that Douglas Milford wrote an editorial endorsing his brother’s candidacy for mayor and that these turned out to be the last kind words he ever said or printed about Dwayne. Yet, in Episode 17 of the original series, Pete relayed the story of how Dougie came out against his brother in the paper, even though Dwayne Milford was running unopposed!
Thanks - I added the ones I didn't have yet to the sheet: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/ ... edit#gid=0
Come hang out at http://www.reddit.com/r/twinpeaks. I'm /u/iswitt, one of the moderators.