SPOILERS: Inconsistencies in the Secret History of Twin Peaks

Moderators: Brad D, Annie, Jonah, BookhouseBoyBob, Ross, Jerry Horne

OK,Bob
RR Diner Member

Re: SPOILERS: Inconsistencies in the Secret History of Twin Peaks

Post by OK,Bob »

OK,Bob wrote:
Mr. Reindeer wrote:Has anyone done research into when exactly SDJ and Victor Buono both appeared on an LA taping of Carson, if ever?)
According to IMDb, Buono first appeared on the Tonight Show in June 1971. I see no episode where he and SDJ both appeared, let alone both at an L.A. taping...
Dratted IMDb. As user LostPhillipJeffries discovered (and we can find on Wikipedia), Buono did appear on the Tonight Show on April 15, 1969... albiet in New York City. Still no SDJ on that episode.
"OK, Bob. OK, BOB. OK." -Audrey Horne
LonelySoul
RR Diner Member

Post by LonelySoul »

OK,Bob wrote:
OK,Bob wrote:
Mr. Reindeer wrote:Has anyone done research into when exactly SDJ and Victor Buono both appeared on an LA taping of Carson, if ever?)
According to IMDb, Buono first appeared on the Tonight Show in June 1971. I see no episode where he and SDJ both appeared, let alone both at an L.A. taping...
Dratted IMDb. As user LostPhillipJeffries discovered (and we can find on Wikipedia), Buono did appear on the Tonight Show on April 15, 1969... albiet in New York City. Still no SDJ on that episode.

Do you have a link to the confirmation of when Buono appeared on the show in April 1969?

EDIT: Never mind, here it is: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_T ... des_(1969)
Come hang out at http://www.reddit.com/r/twinpeaks. I'm /u/iswitt, one of the moderators.
Yasdnil
Roadhouse Member

Post by Yasdnil »

fearltd wrote:I know it's mentioned in Dr. Jacoby's letter that Leland Palmer came from a wealthy family in Seattle (pg 324), when in episode 12 it's mentioned his grandfather Joshua Palmer settled in Twin Peaks 70 years ago.
This also stuck out for me seeing as how Doc Hayward says he delivered Laura and thus couldn't bring himself to perform her autopsy--so how could the Palmers have only arrived in Twin Peaks a decade or so ago if that's the case?

Also, doesn't the minister also reference Laura attending Sunday school (during her funeral service)?
“I have no idea where this will lead us, but I have a definite feeling it will be a place both wonderful and strange.”
StealThisCorn
RR Diner Member
Location: Laying on Laura's lap in the Red Room / Gorging on garmonbozia with Bob Above the Convenience Store

Post by StealThisCorn »

Something else that really qualifies as more of a common misconception than an inconsistency but, given Frost's superb handling of history in other places, it at least stood out to me.

On page 21, Frost writes, “These theories suggest that there were two esoteric organizations vying for future control of the developing nation: one with positive democratic intentions for its citizens (Freemasons) and the other malign (the Bavarian Illuminati), interested only in enriching its elite class at the expense of the general populace. Opposing ideologies, it might well be said, which continue that struggle to this day.

Not only does this evoke the dichotomy between the White and Black Lodges of the series (and the evil dugpa sorcerers briefly mentioned by Windom Earle) but, having followed his tweets for some time, I suspect Frost is here alluding to his own views on the modern Democratic and Republican U.S. political parties as well. Being familiar, however, with many of the original writings of various members of the historical Bavarian Illuminati, I take a pedantic issue with this view. In historical actuality, Adam Weishaupt’s Illuminati seems to have been strongly anti-clergy, anti-government and anti-capitalist, being one of the earliest examples of anarchism and pre-Marxist communism, whose ancestry historians usually don’t bother to trace back before Pierre Joseph Proudhon famously declared “property is theft” in the late 19th century. This makes the modern conspiracy mythos surrounding the name “Illuminati” particularly amusing for me, as the notion of a secret elite controlling the world would seem to stand in sharp contrast to the actual aims of that historical secret society.
Cerulean
Roadhouse Member

Post by Cerulean »

Some inconsistencies (I'm still reluctant to call them "errors" because I still believe most, but perhaps not all, are deliberate) around dates in the book and the series.

March 23, 1989
In the book, Catherine signs the mill/Ghostwood lands over to Ben. In the series, we know it's Ben who signs them over to Catherine, and that happens on March 11.

March 22, 1989
In the book, Dr. Jacoby's report says Ben is currently in his Civil War mania. In the series, he's out of his mania at this time; on this day he visits Eileen Hayward and begins the Stop Ghostwood campaign.

March 19, 1989
In the book, Dr. Jacoby's note is written in Princille, Kauai, Hawaii. In the series, Jacoby is in Ben's office during his mania.

March 18, 1989
In the book, this is the day Major Briggs learns of Dougie Milford's death, which he says occured "three nights earlier." In the series, Dougie died on either the night of March 16 or early morning of March 17.

March 15, 1989
In the series, Major Briggs invites Cooper for night fishing. In the book, he claims to have invited Cooper on the same night he delivered the "Owls Are Not What They Seem"/"Cooper, Cooper, Cooper" message, which was on March 4.

In the book, Cooper's "Andrew Packard Case" journal from this day makes reference to Andrew's "second" (real) death, Josie and Eckhardt's deaths and several other events. In the series, Josie and Eckhardt don't die until March 21, and Andrew doesn't die until March 27 (the day before DoppelCoop/BOB smashes the mirror).

March 11, 1989
In the book, Josie Packard's autopsy report was done that morning, which also suggests her death would have been the previous night (March 10). In the series, Josie dies on March 21.

March 4, 1989
In the series, this is the day Major Briggs delivers the message to Cooper. In the book, Briggs mentions this happening after Leland's death, which doesn't happen until March 11 in the series.
Last edited by Cerulean on Sun Oct 23, 2016 5:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Ross
Global Moderator

Post by Ross »

Yeah- the dates are a complete mess. And the bank explosion should actually be Monday March 27. With Cooper's head smash likely being very early Tuesday March 28.
"I can see half my life's history in your face... And I'm not sure that I want to."
http://twinpeakssoundtrackdesign.blogspot.com/
LonelySoul
RR Diner Member

Post by LonelySoul »

Cerulean wrote:Some inconsistencies (I'm still reluctant to call them "errors" because I still believe most, but perhaps not all, are deliberate) around dates in the book and the series.

March 23, 1989
In the book, Catherine signs the mill/Ghostwood lands over to Ben. In the series, we know it's Ben who signs them over to Catherine, and that happens on March 11.

March 22, 1989
In the book, Dr. Jacoby's report says Ben is currently in his Civil War mania. In the series, he's out of his mania at this time; on this day he visits Eileen Hayward and begins the Stop Ghostwood campaign.

March 19, 1989
In the book, Dr. Jacoby's note is written in Princille, Kauai, Hawaii. In the series, Jacoby is in Ben's office during his mania.

March 18, 1989
In the book, this is the day Major Briggs learns of Dougie Milford's death, which he says occured "three nights earlier." In the series, Dougie died on either the night of March 16 or early morning of March 17.

March 15, 1989
In the series, Major Briggs invites Cooper for night fishing. In the book, he claims to have invited Cooper on the same night he delivered the "Owls Are Not What They Seem"/"Cooper, Cooper, Cooper" message, which was on March 4.

In the book, Cooper's "Andrew Packard Case" journal from this day makes reference to Andrew's "second" (real) death, Josie and Eckhardt's deaths and several other events. In the series, Josie and Eckhardt don't die until March 21, and Andrew doesn't die until March 28 (the same morning DoppelCoop/BOB smashes the mirror).

March 11, 1989
In the book, Josie Packard's autopsy report was done that morning, which also suggests her death would have been the previous night (March 10). In the series, Josie dies on March 21.

March 4, 1989
In the series, this is the day Major Briggs delivers the message to Cooper. In the book, Briggs mentions this happening after Leland's death, which doesn't happen until March 11 in the series.
This is a gold mine. Thank you!
Come hang out at http://www.reddit.com/r/twinpeaks. I'm /u/iswitt, one of the moderators.
dud
RR Diner Member

Post by dud »

i posted this in spoilers thread but maybe it makes more sense to post it here?
dud wrote:whoa, noticed something else very interesting:

look at the trailer for the book @1:06: https://youtu.be/kinf5ApBjmg?t=66[/youtube]

you'll see the same exact postcard from norma in the book except the stamp is different

no moon landing stamp

so apparently frost went out of his way to add that later

heavily implies that these 'inconsistencies' are deliberate!
dud
RR Diner Member

Post by dud »

dud wrote:i posted this in spoilers thread but maybe it makes more sense to post it here?
dud wrote:whoa, noticed something else very interesting:

look at the trailer for the book @1:06: https://youtu.be/kinf5ApBjmg[/youtube]

you'll see the same exact postcard from norma in the book except the stamp is different

no moon landing stamp

so apparently frost went out of his way to add that later

heavily implies that these 'inconsistencies' are deliberate!
Jerry Horne
Global Moderator

Post by Jerry Horne »

:!:
RARE TWIN PEAKS COLLECTIBLES AT ---> WWW.TWINPEAKSGENERALSTORE.BLOGSPOT.COM
LonelySoul
RR Diner Member

Post by LonelySoul »

I need to bring up the Lana winning Miss Twin Peaks thing again.

I just got done reading through it again and - perhaps I'm missing something - but I did not see an explicit mention of Lana winning the contest. What I did see was this:

Page 340:
Once the check cleared, of course, she was gone like the Hindengurg. (But not before providing a thrill the whole town wouldn't soon forget with performance of "contortionistic jazz exotica" at the Miss Twin Peaks Contest.)
Is there another reference to this contest and Lana?

If this is it, then all Frost has done is just leave out any reference to Annie.
Jerry Horne
Global Moderator

Post by Jerry Horne »

Mark mentioned Lana and Miss TP at his NY appearance.

http://www.dugpa.com/forum/viewtopic.ph ... 885#p61434
RARE TWIN PEAKS COLLECTIBLES AT ---> WWW.TWINPEAKSGENERALSTORE.BLOGSPOT.COM
N. Needleman
Lodge Member

Post by N. Needleman »

Noidea wrote:Would Harry have suspected something was wrong with Coop as well? Is it wishful thinking to hope that the timeline was altered to remove these people from Doppelgänger Coop's way, so they could possibly make a surprise appearance?
I don't believe the Bad Dale could've stayed free on the outside unless he'd gotten a lot better at his act. He is incredibly awkward and unsettling in his brief dialogues with Harry and Doc Hayward at the end of episode 29 and in the Missing Pieces. So yes, I think Harry and others would've seen through it quickly. Cole and Albert certainly would have. And Annie might have known all along. We don't know what happened in the Lodge prior to the two of them being deposited back in the woods. I think Harry and other locals would've made him unless the doppelganger dummied up and left town quickly enough, which I suspect is what happened.
AnotherBlueRoseCase wrote:The Return is clearly guaranteed a future audience among stoners and other drug users.
LonelySoul
RR Diner Member

Post by LonelySoul »

Jerry Horne wrote:Mark mentioned Lana and Miss TP at his NY appearance.

http://www.dugpa.com/forum/viewtopic.ph ... 885#p61434

Hm. That seems odd. But the book does not mention that at all. Perhaps he just misspoke?
LonelySoul
RR Diner Member

Post by LonelySoul »

Can anyone identify what the stamp says in the upper right of Norma's postcard to her parents? This is version of the postcard shown in the July trailer, not the moon landing version we actually see in the book.

Image here - http://www.imagebam.com/image/b08abc497090463