The Secret Diary of Laura Palmer (Audiobook)

Moderators: Brad D, Annie, Jonah, BookhouseBoyBob, Ross, Jerry Horne

Shloogorgh
RR Diner Member

Re: The Secret Diary of Laura Palmer (Audiobook)

Post by Shloogorgh »

Very cool! I wonder if there's any hope of Kyle doing My Life, My Tapes
kitty666cats
RR Diner Member

Post by kitty666cats »

Shloogorgh wrote:Very cool! I wonder if there's any hope of Kyle doing My Life, My Tapes

I would be so very, very happy if this gets done as well. I listen to snippets of the audiobook of TSHOTP in my car all the time, it's leaving me craving more!
Agent Sam Stanley
Bookhouse Member

Post by Agent Sam Stanley »

Shloogorgh wrote:Very cool! I wonder if there's any hope of Kyle doing My Life, My Tapes
Oh yes please
Snailhead
Great Northern Member

Post by Snailhead »

Now I actually might get this. Even though I was never too concerned about reading the original, nor do I listen to audiobooks.
But I sure love Sheryl Lee as Laura Palmer.
burstintofire

Post by burstintofire »

Love Sheryl Lee's voice, this is a must have. :shock:
CuriousWoman
Roadhouse Member

Post by CuriousWoman »

Did your source tell you how it would be released? (I guess it would be Audible since they are the only ones who re-released the "Diane..." tape IIRC)
Jerry Horne
Global Moderator

Post by Jerry Horne »

CuriousWoman wrote:Did your source tell you how it would be released?
No.
RARE TWIN PEAKS COLLECTIBLES AT ---> WWW.TWINPEAKSGENERALSTORE.BLOGSPOT.COM
jordanlake
Roadhouse Member

Post by jordanlake »

Now up on audible for pre-order! Almost 7 hours of Sheryl performing as Laura!
http://www.audible.com/pd/Arts-Entertai ... rride=true
Mr. Reindeer
Lodge Member

Post by Mr. Reindeer »

This is incredible news. I'm about 3/4 through the Secret Diary in my chronological reread/rewatch of the series. I think the Secret Diary is by far the best-written and most essential of the tie-in materials (which is not meant to take anything away from the Frost brothers' books, which are both fun in their ways). This is the only one of the books that captures the thing I love most about TP, the moody creepiness and primal Lynchian dreamworld terror, but the younger Lynch also grounds it in the sickening reality of an abuse victim's personal hell, making it even more disturbing.

I find the book is best "enjoyed" (it feels inappropriate to even use that word) in small doses and on the right day -- it's a difficult read, which is a credit to its author. Laura's personal mental hell is not an easy place to spend time, and as a male reading the diary of a young girl, even a fictional one, I periodically feel a little skeevy, and sometimes even culpable in her suffering when she bemoans the fact that even this sanctuary for her thoughts has been taken away by parties unknown reading her diary and depriving her of privacy. It will be interesting to see how the audiobook version, and having Laura willingly "read" the diary out loud, will contribute to the experience.

All of that being said, more Sheryl Lee as Laura is never a bad thing!
jordanlake
Roadhouse Member

Post by jordanlake »

Mr. Reindeer wrote:This is incredible news. I'm about 3/4 through the Secret Diary in my chronological reread/rewatch of the series. I think the Secret Diary is by far the best-written and most essential of the tie-in materials (which is not meant to take anything away from the Frost brothers' books, which are both fun in their ways). This is the only one of the books that captures the thing I love most about TP, the moody creepiness and primal Lynchian dreamworld terror, but the younger Lynch also grounds it in the sickening reality of an abuse victim's personal hell, making it even more disturbing.

I find the book is best "enjoyed" (it feels inappropriate to even use that word) in small doses and on the right day -- it's a difficult read, which is a credit to its author. Laura's personal mental hell is not an easy place to spend time, and as a male reading the diary of a young girl, even a fictional one, I periodically feel a little skeevy, and sometimes even culpable in her suffering when she bemoans the fact that even this sanctuary for her thoughts has been taken away by parties unknown reading her diary and depriving her of privacy. It will be interesting to see how the audiobook version, and having Laura willingly "read" the diary out loud, will contribute to the experience.

Very well put. It's definitely my favourite Twin Peaks tie-in, and in fact it's probably my favourite book of all time - it had that much of an impression on me as a young kid; it really made me fall in love with Laura. I've since read it countless times, but now I too can only take it in 'small doses on the right day.' It is such a bleak read, that I can't afford to read it on a bad day as I know I'll regret it later, but as you say this is in fact to Jen Lynch's credit.

Considering the explicit content, Sheryl Lee must have had to have left any prudeness she had at the door upon entering the recording studio, and just go for it!
I wonder if Audible managed to obtain rights to some of the soundtrack? I imagine not, but how cool would it be to have some of the soundtrack as an audio backdrop to Laura's words?!
I hope there will be a physical (CD) release too.
N. Needleman
Lodge Member

Post by N. Needleman »

Wow.
AnotherBlueRoseCase wrote:The Return is clearly guaranteed a future audience among stoners and other drug users.
dugpa
Site Admin

Post by dugpa »

jordanlake wrote:
Mr. Reindeer wrote:This is incredible news. I'm about 3/4 through the Secret Diary in my chronological reread/rewatch of the series. I think the Secret Diary is by far the best-written and most essential of the tie-in materials (which is not meant to take anything away from the Frost brothers' books, which are both fun in their ways). This is the only one of the books that captures the thing I love most about TP, the moody creepiness and primal Lynchian dreamworld terror, but the younger Lynch also grounds it in the sickening reality of an abuse victim's personal hell, making it even more disturbing.

Very well put. It's definitely my favourite Twin Peaks tie-in, and in fact it's probably my favourite book of all time - it had that much of an impression on me as a young kid; it really made me fall in love with Laura. I've since read it countless times, but now I too can only take it in 'small doses on the right day.' It is such a bleak read, that I can't afford to read it on a bad day as I know I'll regret it later, but as you say this is in fact to Jen Lynch's credit.

Considering the explicit content, Sheryl Lee must have had to have left any prudeness she had at the door upon entering the recording studio, and just go for it!
I wonder if Audible managed to obtain rights to some of the soundtrack? I imagine not, but how cool would it be to have some of the soundtrack as an audio backdrop to Laura's words?!
I hope there will be a physical (CD) release too.
I would expect if they don't add the soundtrack a fan edit will eventually pop up.
Jerry Horne
Global Moderator

Post by Jerry Horne »

I too hope for a release on CD.
RARE TWIN PEAKS COLLECTIBLES AT ---> WWW.TWINPEAKSGENERALSTORE.BLOGSPOT.COM
marchug
RR Diner Member
Location: Where the birds sing a pretty song and there's always music in the air.

Post by marchug »

It has been a while since I read The Secret Diary Of Laura Palmer but I recall some things not lining up (at all) with FWWM. Do you think they might correct that? Would you be into them correcting any continuity errors?
-23-
Ross
Global Moderator

Post by Ross »

marchug wrote:It has been a while since I read The Secret Diary Of Laura Palmer but I recall some things not lining up (at all) with FWWM. Do you think they might correct that? Would you be into them correcting any continuity errors?
I doubt anything will be changed.
"I can see half my life's history in your face... And I'm not sure that I want to."
http://twinpeakssoundtrackdesign.blogspot.com/