The Secret Diary of Laura Palmer (Audiobook)

Moderators: Brad D, Annie, Jonah, BookhouseBoyBob, Ross, Jerry Horne

claaa7
Great Northern Member

Re: The Secret Diary of Laura Palmer (Audiobook)

Post by claaa7 »

Theres been quite some time since this release now, so im suprised the talk just died down as the audiobook was actually released.

I'm very glad I never read it before as Sheryl's reading does marvels for the material. It really takes me right back into the world of Twin Peaks and really fleshes out some interesting stuff from her relationship to Leo to her days with Johnny Horne and the Meals on Wheels program. Much of it is tough listening though, there's especially a long middle section of bad situations, self-pity and BOB which was pretty hard to get through. Sheryl did a fantastic job channeling BOB though, scary stuff!!

I love how often it plays into the series like Harold even reading directly from it, etc. Theres some changes made later that doesnt work with the book but overall its a very worthy TP experience. I dont think I would like it all that much in its original book form, its not a great piece of literature but Sheryl's emotional performance and wonderful voice really sells it for me. Highly recommended!

One thing though. Jennifer Lynch seems to have moved Laura's death one year to make it coincide with the airing of S1. Isnt it established that Laura died in February 1989?
laughingpinecone
Great Northern Member

Post by laughingpinecone »

claaa7 wrote:
One thing though. Jennifer Lynch seems to have moved Laura's death one year to make it coincide with the airing of S1. Isnt it established that Laura died in February 1989?
Season 1 tried to push the setting to 1990. The additional materials written during that period are consistent with the show's retcon, is all.
twin peaks 1990 dates.jpg
twin peaks 1990 dates.jpg (319.46 KiB) Viewed 25100 times
I think they went back to 1989 in s2...?
] The gathered are known by their faces of stone.
Mr. Reindeer
Lodge Member

Post by Mr. Reindeer »

I listened to it over the show's two-week break, just finished last night. I'm not much of an audiobook guy -- I process better by reading and generally prefer to imagine the dialogue delivery -- but this was a terrific performance by Lee. I didn't agree with all of her choices, but I liked most of them, and there were moments where there was visceral raw pathos I didn't expect from an audiobook. Head and shoulders above most of the contributors on TSHoTP, which felt like what I imagine most audiobooks to be, a straight reading with not much inflection. That thing was by and large a slog to get through (partly due to the nature of the book, which was designed to be read IMO).

For those wondering, there was nothing new added (I don't think many people really expected there to be, but someone asked awhile back). Aside from missing/changing a word very occasionally when she was swept up in the material, Lee pretty much reads the whole thing word for word. The only errors I saw were two instances where she mistakenly reads Horne's Department Store as "Home's" (the first time is unfortunately in the first couple of minutes in the book). For whatever reason, the decision was made not to include the "Page Torn Out" notations, meaning that a couple of entries end literally mid-sentence with no explanation...that's the one choice I think was a mistake, but not a huge thing I guess.

I imagine the "BOB" voice will be controversial, but I liked it. I found it very effective at first, a bit less so as the book went on. Not sure if her reading changed a bit or if I was just getting overexposed to it. There's a little improvised BOB laugh she does around 3:16:45 that doesn't even sound like Lee, very creepy.

Whereas the only portions of TSHoTP audiobook I think I'll ever listen to again are Hawk's section and Hank's deathbed note, I could see myself revisiting Lee's reading of TSDoLP again at some point down the line. Like the book itself, some of Lee's delivery gets a tad tedious/repetitive at certain points (this works for me in the book because it gives the feel of reading a real day-to-day diary...I liked this aspect a bit less listening to it, but again, this isn't my preferred format for engaging with literature). But overall, there was some terrific acting, and I was amazed at how close Lee brought her voice to recapturing the old Laura and her many moods from the original show and FWWM. Her love for this material really shone through, and I'm glad she finally got to put her mark on this integral part of the world of Laura Palmer.
sylvia_north
RR Diner Member

Post by sylvia_north »

Mr. Reindeer wrote:
I imagine the "BOB" voice will be controversial, but I liked it. I found it very effective at first, a bit less so as the book went on. Not sure if her reading changed a bit or if I was just getting overexposed to it. There's a little improvised BOB laugh she does around 3:16:45 that doesn't even sound like Lee, very creepy.
It sounds like her voice when she gets all Windom with the spiders/Leland after he kills Laura on Harold.
Too Old to Die Young > TP S03
AXX°N N.
Great Northern Member

Post by AXX°N N. »

Mr. Reindeer wrote:I imagine the "BOB" voice will be controversial, but I liked it. I found it very effective at first, a bit less so as the book went on. Not sure if her reading changed a bit or if I was just getting overexposed to it. There's a little improvised BOB laugh she does around 3:16:45 that doesn't even sound like Lee, very creepy.
I agree, and I sort of vacillated through it on whether it was working or not, but overall it stuck well with me -- it was an odd choice she did straight-faced, which, I guess, was itself very Lynchian!
Recipe not my own. In a coffee cup. 3 TBS flour, 2 TBS sugar, 1.5 TBS cocoa powder, .25 TSP baking powder, pinch of salt. 3 TBS milk, 1.5 TBS vegetable oil, 1 TBS peanut butter. Add and mix each set. Microwave 1 minute 10 seconds. The cup will be hot.
Jerry Horne
Global Moderator

Post by Jerry Horne »

Attachments
71QHk7zI5VL.jpg
71QHk7zI5VL.jpg (232.84 KiB) Viewed 24697 times
RARE TWIN PEAKS COLLECTIBLES AT ---> WWW.TWINPEAKSGENERALSTORE.BLOGSPOT.COM
claaa7
Great Northern Member

Post by claaa7 »

Yeah its quite fantastic.. Theres an old clip from a docu on the phenomen of TP, shot at the start of Season 2. In there Sheryl reads a few excerpts of the book and while her voice sound exactly like Laura at 17. However im very glad that she waited 25 years to do it.. She does a great impression of the younger Laura while having more life experience to draw on. It turned our reallh well!!

One thing that would have made for an interesting idea imo, would be a fanedit that incorporate music and sound design from Season 1, 2. 3 and FWWM
AXX°N N.
Great Northern Member

Post by AXX°N N. »

Jerry Horne wrote:Amazon has this listed on CD. Is this a mistake? Or is it one of those single CD's with an MP3 file on it?

https://www.amazon.com/Secret-Diary-Lau ... twin+peaks
I'll be able to confirm this soon, since I bought it.
Recipe not my own. In a coffee cup. 3 TBS flour, 2 TBS sugar, 1.5 TBS cocoa powder, .25 TSP baking powder, pinch of salt. 3 TBS milk, 1.5 TBS vegetable oil, 1 TBS peanut butter. Add and mix each set. Microwave 1 minute 10 seconds. The cup will be hot.
claaa7
Great Northern Member

Post by claaa7 »

Jerry Horne wrote:Amazon has this listed on CD. Is this a mistake? Or is it one of those single CD's with an MP3 file on it?

https://www.amazon.com/Secret-Diary-Lau ... twin+peaks
it looks to be an Mp3 CD, so it should be a single CD with Mp3 audio on it. cool to have a physical release still!
AXX°N N.
Great Northern Member

Post by AXX°N N. »

Just got it in the mail. It's a single disc of 86 mp3s (one for each entry?), in an orange bluray case, with just the cover art. The back is a description in plaintext.
ganzuccio

Post by ganzuccio »

Can you send a photo?
AXX°N N.
Great Northern Member

Post by AXX°N N. »

ganzuccio wrote:Can you send a photo?
There's not much to send, it's exactly like the picture posted above. Cover, not much else, orange plastic case.

Oh, and for anyone wondering the files are 96 kbps, and they're basically the same quality (to my ears) as the enhanced audible format.
Jerry Horne
Global Moderator

Post by Jerry Horne »

Just a heads up that a new physical edition of the audiobook has been released. It is by BrillianceAudio by Audible. It is six compact discs in a nice wide box. Each CD is in it's own book style slot with padded backing. I haven't listened yet.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/19786 ... UTF8&psc=1
RARE TWIN PEAKS COLLECTIBLES AT ---> WWW.TWINPEAKSGENERALSTORE.BLOGSPOT.COM
AXX°N N.
Great Northern Member

Post by AXX°N N. »

Darn, I wish I didn't buy the bare-bones one now. Do you have pics of the packaging?