The Secret Diary of Laura Palmer (Audiobook)

Moderators: Brad D, Annie, Jonah, BookhouseBoyBob, Ross, Jerry Horne

Mr. Reindeer
Lodge Member

Re: The Secret Diary of Laura Palmer (Audiobook)

Post by Mr. Reindeer »

Such a classy, lovely human being. I'm glad she's voicing Bob as well. It makes sense because to me, the "Bob" of the book is functioning through her subconcious -- manipulating her emotions rather than actually "speaking"' to her.
underthefan
Great Northern Member

Post by underthefan »

Mr. Reindeer wrote:Such a classy, lovely human being. I'm glad she's voicing Bob as well. It makes sense because to me, the "Bob" of the book is functioning through her subconcious -- manipulating her emotions rather than actually "speaking"' to her.
Yes, exactly. The BOB in the book really is a dark part of herself, the one that tells her she is "dirty" or "unworthy." So, in a way the diary is that struggle between the two Lauras.
CuriousWoman
Roadhouse Member

Post by CuriousWoman »

I said it in another thread yesterday, but I wonder if BOB is portrayed by Sheryl Lee in the upcoming series? After all, it was his goal to become Laura and she was clearly under his influence in some TV scenes and we don't really know what was up witht Laura's doppelganger in episode 29.

This extracts convince me that Lee did not forget how to portray this aspect of her character.
claaa7
Great Northern Member

Post by claaa7 »

right now i'm SO glad that i never did read "The Secret Diary" by Jennifer Lynch although i came close to picking it up many times. what held me back was that the library had the swedish translation only and i wanted it in its original form. this is so much better though...i'm getting this sas soon as it becomes available. you got to love this Twin Peaks revival, what a time to be a Twin Peaks fanatic guys!

First the Blu Ray set with the Missing Pieces (which I actually picked up yesterday, despite not having a Blu Ray player yet), the reissues of the soundtrack, "The Secret History of Twin Peaks", Showtime reruns, "The Art Life" documentary, "My Life and My Tapes" remastered if i remember right, The Twin Peaks Archive sounndtack and of course the actual new series in less than two months away now... Here in Sweden "folkets bio" and the "cinematek" is showing a David Lynch marathon over about two months. In Stockholm they are showing almost ALL Lynch films in prisitne original film copies (no digital here), i think its 35 mm film reels. "Eraserhead", "Elephant Man", "Wild At Heart", "Fire Walk With Me", "Lost Highway" and "Mulholland Drive".. in Copenhagen they will also show "Inland Empire" (man would that be n´mindblowing.

I live 5 hour train ride from Stockholm so unfortunately no luck there... however Malmö, Swedens third largest city, are showing "Twin Peaks: Fire Walk With Me" on an original film copy on the 4th... it's a dream come true to be able to see this 1 in the theater, this and some of Kubrick's films are my absolute favorites (matter of fact, I saw "2001: A SPace Oddyssey") there a few weeks ago and that was an experience of a lifetime. oh and another city close to me (Helsingborg) are showing the "Art Life" in the middle of April - guess whos going?) haha
claaa7
Great Northern Member

Post by claaa7 »

i finally had a chance to see the documentary on "FWWM" that appears as a bonus on The Entire Mystery box set, and one of the most interesting things was the interview with Sheryl Lee where she commented how wonderful Jennifer Lynch was as a writer and having that book as a reference was a HUGE help for her for getting inside Laura's mind and body. it sounded like she used that as much as the shooting script for inspiration, so as it's one of my favorite movies, it will be very interesting to both "read" the book for the first time and to actually hear it in Laura Palmer's voice. when is this being released?
Venus
RR Diner Member

Post by Venus »

Does anyone know if there is an official UK release for this yet?
When Jupiter and Saturn meet...
MysteryMan
RR Diner Member

Post by MysteryMan »

Venus wrote:Does anyone know if there is an official UK release for this yet?
No sign of it on Amazon UK yet. Looks like it may only be released in the US... :(
The next time you see me it won't be me...
jordanlake
Roadhouse Member

Post by jordanlake »

MysteryMan wrote:
Venus wrote:Does anyone know if there is an official UK release for this yet?
No sign of it on Amazon UK yet. Looks like it may only be released in the US... :(
I was about to post the same question...I'll be so frustrated if after all these years if I won't be able to listen to if because it's not been made available in the U.K.
Perhaps an iTunes release will happen over here (fingers crossed).
Jerry Horne
Global Moderator

Post by Jerry Horne »

Available in the U.S. now.
RARE TWIN PEAKS COLLECTIBLES AT ---> WWW.TWINPEAKSGENERALSTORE.BLOGSPOT.COM
sneakydave
RR Diner Member

Post by sneakydave »

I just tried 'tricking' Audible by signing up to the US site. I got my free credit for the trial period but it obviously recognised my bank details as being UK and I couldn't get the book.

I'm absolutely itching to listen to this as well. :(
*M*A*Y*D*A*Y*
Jerry Horne
Global Moderator

Post by Jerry Horne »

Venus
RR Diner Member

Post by Venus »

sneakydave wrote:I just tried 'tricking' Audible by signing up to the US site. I got my free credit for the trial period but it obviously recognised my bank details as being UK and I couldn't get the book.

I'm absolutely itching to listen to this as well. :(
I thought of doing that too. But read the small print and realised it wouldn't be fooled! Argh. So frustrating.
When Jupiter and Saturn meet...
underthefan
Great Northern Member

Post by underthefan »

You know, even on the US side, I have had so many problems with Audible. I couldn't play the book on my Mac (iTunes would not recognize my Audible sign-in credentials), apparently because I am using an old version of iTunes, and I could not upgrade to the new one they require. I also couldn't open it any other way on my computer, including an app, other software, etc. I couldn't transfer it to my iPod either (on which I normally listen to music). Finally, the only way I could do it is by downloading the app to my Android phone, along with the book (both of which take considerable space on my phone) and listening to it that way. They made the whole system so user-unfriendly and difficult that I have no desire to ever use Audible again.
Jerry Horne
Global Moderator

Post by Jerry Horne »

After a few tech issues with my wi-fi, I can't wait to jump in.
CuriousWoman
Roadhouse Member

Post by CuriousWoman »

So for those who have listened to it already: Does it contain the fabled missing pages ? (I don't really expect it to be the case but some hoped for it in this very thread)