The Secret Diary of Laura Palmer (Audiobook)

Moderators: Brad D, Annie, Jonah, BookhouseBoyBob, Ross, Jerry Horne

Gabriel
Great Northern Member

Re: The Secret Diary of Laura Palmer (Audiobook)

Post by Gabriel »

marchug wrote:It has been a while since I read The Secret Diary Of Laura Palmer but I recall some things not lining up (at all) with FWWM. Do you think they might correct that? Would you be into them correcting any continuity errors?
The Secret History of Twin Peaks doesn't line up either. The thing is, for all their variances, the books broadly conform to what we know and the differences are relatively minor.

Not sure whether the secret diary will make for confortable listening. It's disturbing enough on the page! I'd be well up for a My Life My Tapes audiobook.
CuriousWoman
Roadhouse Member

Post by CuriousWoman »

If they ever do a MLMT audio, I wonder if they would voice the sections not by Cooper that are before each chapter.

That said, I think a full cast audio of the Access Guide would not work at all: it is not even an epistolary book and most of the rare interviews would have to be recast (Pete, Dwayne Milford, old Andrew). It would be like narrating a wikipedia article for the most part, it would not have the same cachet as hearing the voices of actual characters.
Shloogorgh
RR Diner Member

Post by Shloogorgh »

It's hard enough reading the Access Guide cover to cover. It's more of a flip-to-a-random-page and read a little piecemeal kind of book. Completely unsuited for an audiobook adaptation.
Rudagger
RR Diner Member

Post by Rudagger »

Noticed 'Diane: The Twin Peaks tapes of Dale Cooper" has a pre-order page on Amazon.ca on CD .. for the year 2030. Not sure if they're doing a new printing of them, and there's just a place holder date, or if this page has just been up for ever in some weird glitch. It has a pre-order option for like 10.99.

https://www.amazon.ca/Diane-Peaks-Tapes ... twin+peaks

Also, is the Secret Diary a good read? Or is it just kind of a novelty thing? I enjoyed Secret History of Twin Peaks, but, I've got the feeling a lot of that was due to the small hints at what transpired in the 25 years that passed. Just curious if the novel really holds up when it isn't really a clue-searching type thing.
CuriousWoman
Roadhouse Member

Post by CuriousWoman »

IMO, the young Jennifer Lynch had an inconsistent quality to her writing style but the book still has a very bleak feeling when reading it and some parts feel very real and gripping.

It has some few incoherences with what was established later or before its publication and messed with the dates (it considers that the events of the series happen in 1990 instead of 1989), but it's not worse than The Secret History or the show or the movie themselves.

I remember it has being a short read but with the audio being nearly 7 hours long, I must have been mistaken.

If you want something like a long version of the Laura's section of the movie, I reckon you would enjoy (well it's not very joyful but you see what I mean). Especially with Sheryl Lee's voice even though I didn't hear her performance yet obviously.

But don't expect it to have some big secret revelations. I read it knowing who the killer is and I don't think it was damaging to my reading.

I would rank it just below TSHOTP in terms of my enjoyment but that might have been because I had a good voice cast narrating it so I don't know how much more I would have enjoyed the diary with narration.
RR Diner Member

Post by 4815162342 »

The biggest problem with the diary is BOB, that little gabster just can't get enough of the sound of his own voice.
Agent Sam Stanley
Bookhouse Member

Post by Agent Sam Stanley »

I think the biggest problem is the author
underthefan
Great Northern Member

Post by underthefan »

I personally think The Secret Diary of Laura Palmer is by far the most compelling of the tie-in books, and yes that includes The Secret History.
jordanlake
Roadhouse Member

Post by jordanlake »

underthefan wrote:I personally think The Secret Diary of Laura Palmer is by far the most compelling of the tie-in books, and yes that includes The Secret History.
Agreed, The Secret History and My Life, My Tapes, are very pedestrian in comparison, although I did enjoy the latter.
teddyleevin
Roadhouse Member

Post by teddyleevin »

I was about to read this for the first time, but the prospect of experiencing it for the first time in a dark room with Sheryl Lee in my headphones is too enticing. It will surely be soul-crushing, either way, but I may save myself for the audiobook.
N. Needleman
Lodge Member

Post by N. Needleman »

underthefan wrote:I personally think The Secret Diary of Laura Palmer is by far the most compelling of the tie-in books, and yes that includes The Secret History.
Same. It's excellent, and such an important companion to FWWM. I like the others quite a lot, but Secret Diary is on a whole other level.

I don't think I can handle listening to Sheryl read the whole diary - too intense - but I will buy it and listen to it in pieces.
AnotherBlueRoseCase wrote:The Return is clearly guaranteed a future audience among stoners and other drug users.
Agent Sam Stanley
Bookhouse Member

Post by Agent Sam Stanley »

jordanlake wrote: Agreed, The Secret History and My Life, My Tapes, are very pedestrian in comparison
underthefan
Great Northern Member

Post by underthefan »

jordanlake wrote:
Agreed, The Secret History and My Life, My Tapes, are very pedestrian in comparison, although I did enjoy the latter.
I thought My Life, My Tapes was pretty intriguing and interesting. The Secret History, though... meh, I can take it or leave it.
Mr. Reindeer
Lodge Member

Post by Mr. Reindeer »

underthefan wrote:
jordanlake wrote:
I thought My Life, My Tapes was pretty intriguing and interesting. The Secret History, though... meh, I can take it or leave it.

The main thing MLMT has going for it is that Scott Frost is REALLY good at writing in Cooper's voice, and the comedic portions (like Cooper's kooky experiments in endurance) are a lot of fun. I can hear MacLachlan's jaunty yet clinical delivery in my head. But the book overall doesn't really add much to the franchise. The attempts to hint at the Lodges mythology feel clunky and cheap, and the Earle stuff in particular is a bit over-wrought. It would be fun to hear Kyle read sections of it, though.
Agent Earle
Bookhouse Member

Post by Agent Earle »

Mr. Reindeer wrote:
underthefan wrote:
jordanlake wrote: Agreed, The Secret History and My Life, My Tapes, are very pedestrian in comparison, although I did enjoy the latter.

The main thing MLMT has going for it is that Scott Frost is REALLY good at writing in Cooper's voice, and the comedic portions (like Cooper's kooky experiments in endurance) are a lot of fun. I can hear MacLachlan's jaunty yet clinical delivery in my head. But the book overall doesn't really add much to the franchise. The attempts to hint at the Lodges mythology feel clunky and cheap, and the Earle stuff in particular is a bit over-wrought. It would be fun to hear Kyle read sections of it, though.
To me, it's the bits of the Black Lodge mythology and especially Windom Earle stuff that make it the most compelling. Never felt it was clunky, cheap and over-wrought but very efficient devices tying it to the show - it helps you to feel the book and the series are parts of the same universe. If anything, I'd welcome it to have even more references of what was going on/will be going on in the second season. And I don't think it can be argued satisfyingly that MLMT doesn't add to the franchise, when you have pretty much the whole of the main protagonist's backstory in there. Moreover, it's even consistent with the series, which is more than we can say for other tie-in materials... That Bob passage now - that seriously gave me the creeps!
Scott Frost - add him to the list of unsung TP creative contributors.