'Twin Peaks: The Final Dossier' Novel by Mark Frost 10/31

Moderators: Annie, BookhouseBoyBob, Ross, Jerry Horne, Brad D

sylvia_north

Re: 'Twin Peaks: The Final Dossier' Novel by Mark Frost 10/31

Postby sylvia_north » Thu Jun 15, 2017 12:32 am

Fire-blog-with-me wrote:
laughingpinecone wrote:
Mr. Reindeer wrote:Something that just occurred to me: Frost has said that part of what he was interested in exploring in TSHoTP was subjective/unreliable memory. I wonder if this was to some extent influenced by his father's struggle with Alzheimer's. I watched my grandfather slowly lose his memory and his sense of place and time; it's a heartbreaking experience to try to imagine how frustrating and hellish that loved one's reality must look like from their POV, jumping between periods in their lives, conflating events and individuals from the present with those from decades past. Something like Robert Jacoby dying in 1970 and still being around for events that occurred decades later feels very much like the sort of thing my grandfather might have expressed in conversation. Particularly since we know that aging is a theme in the new season (I'm very excited to see Lynch/Frost tackle this), and Lynch often uses so-called "alternate realities"' to externalize mental states, I wonder if memory and its loss will end up being a theme in the new show as well.

Of course, the problem with the discrepancies in the book is the same as it always is when viewed in light of Frost's "unreliable memory" comments: it doesn't explain instances where we're dealing with historical documents like newspapers which misreport contemporary facts (and honestly, "unreliable memory" didn't come across as a theme to me in the text itself, despite Frost stating it as such in interviews). And a LH/MD subjective approach would be very difficult to pull off on TP due to its ensemble nature. But I am very curious to see how perception and memory will play into the new season, and particularly wonder how Frost will deal with these themes in TFD. If at least some of the seeming discrepancies end up being in the interest of exploring how beautiful and terrifying human memory can be, and if "alternate realities" somehow play out as a metaphor for the subjectiveness of memory a la LH, I'll feel much more satisfied than I would be by either a straight "alternate reality" approach or a conspiracy where Bob-Coop or someone else deliberately altered documents.

I didn't get "unreliable memory" either but I got "unreliable reality", which, close enough. In a realistic setting, a storyteller would have to limit themself to messing with the kind of details which fall within the realm of personal memories. In a surrealistic setting, extending that kind of dissonance to pure, verifiable & verified facts in a hyperbole allows the storyteller to trigger that kind of vertigo in readers who are otherwise quite sure of the reality they live in (and of the show they've obsessed over for 27 years).
I have no intel but I'll bet my prettiest hat that this "alternate realities" business will play out as you hope.

Just a random stream of thoughts on this:

I think at least with TSHOTP (likely applicable to The Return as well but for now we don't actually know anything so I will avoid speculation regarding that until we have seen footage from it) Frost's playing with both that unreliable memory and maximizing it outwards and upwards to unreliable reality. His vision or interest is in bringing worldliness and context to Twin Peaks, we see it across his episodes and in this book, think Windom Earle, The Norwegians/Icelanders, The Foreign Intrigue around Josie and Hong Kong/South Africa, Hank Jennings, Ben's Civil War, etc.--these are his hallmarks, an expanding horizontally of Twin Peaks to the outside world, a sentiment shared and echoed by our very own Joel/LostintheMovies, and by the Diane podcast gang.

So to me I love how Mark Frost probably took what was a powerful, devastating personal experience--Warren Frost's condition RIP--and applied it metaphysically and also within a literary/artistic tradition. But in keeping with that aforementioned worldliness, Mark frost was able to sync up Twin Peaks with a wider real life Weird phenomenon (The Mandela Effect) which has increased in recent years and has been affecting people's actual grips with reality and culture, sort of a fractal geometry of the sorts of Unreliable Memory that comes from Alzheimer's etc.

And on that note I'd just like to say I love this as a Frostian companion piece to Lynchian surrealism/metaphysics.

Yes, I agree. They're both metaphysical dudes - the tricks the mind plays on itself is a subject you can go back to over and over. Reality is surreal...

Every time someone refers to this press conference, I don't interpret his words as distancing himself from the book at all, no matter what he says. He told a friend of mine it was a standalone thing you "didn't have to read" and another friend of ours took that to mean "it's just a fan side thing, don't bother applying it to the show."

"We discovered this world. And within this world there are other worlds," he says, then "We’re both strong, but both different. We bring to the table different things, but we each understand the other thing." Just because Lynch "hasn't read it. It's his Secret History" doesn't mean they aren't on the same page about the deeper historical symbolism, the actual myths they're drawing from, occult and supernatural elements. The universal field, like Milford comes to understand in the book, is that all strange phenomenon comes from the same place, and "magic is just science we don't understand yet" to quote Arthur C Clarke. So far things are very very interconnected.

Subjective and unreliable memory are themes in esoteric Buddhism and Theosophy. Illusion- both self-deception and trickery- makes a shadow world, just as the Tibetan llamas have shadow incarnations (doubles in flesh and blood, or spirit selves, if you look up mayavik and tulkism) operating as extensions from a single Major Being/consciousness center, having different functions on earth and in the spirit world. No one is really who they think they are- the Wizard of Oz plays with mayavik. It's a psychological exploration of the ego self on the way to enlightenment. We're escaping from unreal reality to get "home" to the true state- which isn't always the material world, constantly changing due to tricks or "humbug" of ego.

David and Mark are bringing their own twists on the same themes to their contributions and like a good team trust that they'll click harmoniously without much effort.

Unreliable reality and multiverses 8)
https://theosophywatch.com/tag/quantum-physics/
i .. am .. not ... your... foot
fearltd

Postby fearltd » Thu Jun 15, 2017 9:01 pm

Sorry if this is the wrong thread, but someone posted this link earlier, but now they have a cover up. Is it simply a Russian printing of "Reflections" or possibly something new? I'm leaning toward the former, but I'm not 100%. The cover is pretty cool though.

7f739ac83c08dcd093d7860f7db0e1b5.jpg
7f739ac83c08dcd093d7860f7db0e1b5.jpg (74.26 KiB) Viewed 1555 times

https://book24.ru/product/tvin-piks-besedy-sozdatelya-seriala-marka-frosta-s-glavnymi-geroyami-zapisannye-zhurnalistom-bredom--1574435/
Twink Peaks

Postby Twink Peaks » Thu Jun 15, 2017 10:17 pm

fearltd wrote:Sorry if this is the wrong thread, but someone posted this link earlier, but now they have a cover up. Is it simply a Russian printing of "Reflections" or possibly something new? I'm leaning toward the former, but I'm not 100%. The cover is pretty cool though.

https://book24.ru/product/tvin-piks-besedy-sozdatelya-seriala-marka-frosta-s-glavnymi-geroyami-zapisannye-zhurnalistom-bredom--1574435/

Reflections :(
sylvia_north

Postby sylvia_north » Fri Jul 14, 2017 5:09 am

fearltd wrote:Sorry if this is the wrong thread, but someone posted this link earlier, but now they have a cover up. Is it simply a Russian printing of "Reflections" or possibly something new? I'm leaning toward the former, but I'm not 100%. The cover is pretty cool though.

It's the Russian Secret History of Twin Peaks judging by the owl glyph and that it says "marka frosta" in the web address
laughingpinecone

Postby laughingpinecone » Fri Jul 14, 2017 6:24 am

sylvia_north wrote:

It's the Russian Secret History of Twin Peaks judging by the owl glyph and that it says "marka frosta" in the web address

The author is Brad Dukes, no two ways about it... I see Mark Frost mentioned in the description after the title (and Dukes again in some indirect case) but it's not his book!
] The gathered are known by their faces of stone.
sylvia_north

Postby sylvia_north » Fri Jul 14, 2017 7:33 am

laughingpinecone wrote:
sylvia_north wrote:

The author is Brad Dukes, no two ways about it... I see Mark Frost mentioned in the description after the title (and Dukes again in some indirect case) but it's not his book!

You're right. Description is "Twin Peaks. Conversations of the creator of the series of Mark Frost with the main characters, recorded by journalist Brad Dyuks"
Mistertom

Postby Mistertom » Wed Aug 09, 2017 2:09 pm

Flatiron books posted this today looks beautiful ! They did a fantastic job with the secret history I think !
Attachments
IMG_7730.JPG
IMG_7730.JPG (861.26 KiB) Viewed 740 times
laughingpinecone

Postby laughingpinecone » Wed Aug 09, 2017 3:29 pm

Oh this is wonderful! I wonder if the FBI logo on the cover and this wilted (blue?) rose mean that the 'key characters' the book is going to focus on are mostly FBI folks?
] The gathered are known by their faces of stone.
dreamshake

Postby dreamshake » Wed Aug 09, 2017 5:41 pm

Yeah if the last book focused mostly on Grudge, Sign, and Blue Book, plus some history of Twin Peaks and very few glimpses of what happened to characters between Season 2 and the Return, then I bet this focuses on Blue Rose cases and offers more of a look at what happened to characters between the seasons that's more in line with what was promised in the original press release for TSHOTP.
claaa7

Postby claaa7 » Thu Aug 10, 2017 3:36 am

is that just a promotion picture/poster?

^ this is still the cover, right?

Amazon says it's only 160 pages long :/
jeep

Postby jeep » Thu Aug 10, 2017 5:21 am

claaa7 wrote:Amazon says it's only 160 pages long :/

Yes, only 160 pages.
It's the same on the publisher of the book page :
https://us.macmillan.com/books/9781250163301
musicaddict

Postby musicaddict » Thu Aug 10, 2017 5:26 am

claaa7 wrote:is that just a promotion picture/poster?

I hope not. I prefer the rose as the cover.
claaa7

Postby claaa7 » Thu Aug 10, 2017 5:40 am

musicaddict wrote:

personally i hope for the one on Amazon.. will look gorgeous together with TSHoTP on the book shelf.
claaa7

Postby claaa7 » Thu Aug 10, 2017 5:40 am

musicaddict wrote:

personally i hope for the one on Amazon.. will look gorgeous together with TSHoTP on the book shelf.
Rudagger

Postby Rudagger » Thu Aug 10, 2017 4:22 pm

The rose picture looks like an interior title page (look at the texture of the page, it's not cover print). Pretty sure the Secret History had one as well, can't remember what it was of though (maybe it was a picture of the falls? or an owl?).

Return to “Books”