'Twin Peaks: The Final Dossier' Novel by Mark Frost 10/31 (SPOILERS)

Moderators: Brad D, Annie, Jonah, BookhouseBoyBob, Ross, Jerry Horne

TweetPeak
Roadhouse Member

Re: 'Twin Peaks: The Final Dossier' Novel by Mark Frost 10/31

Post by TweetPeak »

so what is that about? after TPTR this has become redundand
Rudagger
RR Diner Member

Post by Rudagger »

TweetPeak wrote:so what is that about? after TPTR this has become redundand
I assume it's filling in the original 25 year gap between the end of Season 2 and the start of the Return. Not anything to do with the ending of the new run.
DoppelBocker
Roadhouse Member

Post by DoppelBocker »

My Guess:
Well we had the "archivist" in TSHOP, who will fulfill that role in this book? My guess, a psychically transposed text overseen by Gordon Cole getting info. from Coop and Brigg's. That and an investigation into Mr. C by Albert Rosenthal (assuming his voice on Mr. C's recorder beginning of season). As well as some anecdotes from Hasting's blog giving more backstory there.
CuriousWoman
Roadhouse Member

Post by CuriousWoman »

I think the book will be about Briggs' plan and visions that was schemed with Cole and Cooper (the Good? the doppelganger? a fusion?)

I think it will solve a few minor mysteries regarding the rest of the series (Annie, Leo, Donna...)
Gabriel
Great Northern Member

Post by Gabriel »

I suspect the book will be a case of Mark Frost saying 'Hey guys! I wrote the TPTR script, but I'm not responsible for what Lynch did with it it!'

Twin Peaks fans will speculate on what might have been. Lynch fans will use it when they run out of toilet paper!!!
btaw

Post by btaw »

Apologies if this has already been discussed, but looking at ordering the book and there are two versions available on the site I am using (Book Depository); one published by Flatiron with 176 pages, one by Macmillan with 160 pages. Both hardback, similar page sizes, slightly different prices obviously.

Just curious if anyone has more concrete information about the differences, or opinions about which might be the better version to order.
musicaddict
RR Diner Member

Post by musicaddict »

btaw wrote:Apologies if this has already been discussed, but looking at ordering the book and there are two versions available on the site I am using (Book Depository); one published by Flatiron with 176 pages, one by Macmillan with 160 pages. Both hardback, similar page sizes, slightly different prices obviously.

Just curious if anyone has more concrete information about the differences, or opinions about which might be the better version to order.
I think the Flatiron is the US printing and Macmillan the UK printing. There should be no difference in content.
btaw

Post by btaw »

musicaddict wrote:I think the Flatiron is the US printing and Macmillan the UK printing. There should be no difference in content.
Yeah, I figured that was going to be the major difference, but the different page number was intriguing.

Pretty sure I got the Flatiron edition last time, and was happy with it. So that might swing it.
musicaddict
RR Diner Member

Post by musicaddict »

btaw wrote:
musicaddict wrote:I think the Flatiron is the US printing and Macmillan the UK printing. There should be no difference in content.
Yeah, I figured that was going to be the major difference, but the different page number was intriguing.

Pretty sure I got the Flatiron edition last time, and was happy with it. So that might swing it.
Page numbering may be due to the use of a different font size - I think.
Mr. Reindeer
Lodge Member

Post by Mr. Reindeer »

Ok, I'll eat crow: I've been saying since October that the show was not going to introduce alternate universes, but that's sure as shootin' what we got. Unless you choose to interpret Part 18 more as MD-esque dream. Like much of TP, I think it can work as both literal plot mechanism and psychological metaphor simultaneously, especially given the tulpa stuff -- if you can dream a person into existence, why not a whole universe? We are like the dreamer who dreams, then lives inside the dream.

What does this mean for Mark's books? Well, I still don't believe every discrepancy is carefully placed, but it does seem that some likely were (maybe we'll get an Annie payoff for instance, given the particularly glaring retcon of Norma's mom), and more to the point, it seems that he was fast and loose with continuity because he knew he could be, given the mushiness of time and reality in the end of TR. i've been perplexed at Mark's odd use of the term "unreliable memory" in interviews when what he was actually talking about was stuff like contemporaneous newspapers and Robert Jacoby dying twice decades apart. I speculated a few pages back, I think on this thread, that Mark was maybe externalizing the idea of unreliable memory to essentially show reality itself having some form of Alzheimer's, getting some things right and some things wrong, conflating facts and events...subjective reality, but not from the perspective of any one character. I couldn't quite figure out how that could work in a satisfying way, though. I think Part 18 (and some other moments late in TR, such as the Audrey reveal and Sarah's stuff) have given me some framework. It does appear that TR, at least in part, takes the subjective first-person perspective of previous DKL works and unleashes it on the world at large, with various characters' dreams/tulpa realities seemingly overlapping in illogical ways with both the real world and other characters' dreamworlds (some users have likened this to DKL's belief in the Unified Field). Ultimately, we're never quite sure what's real and what isn't, and maybe it doesn't really matter. Like The Wizard of Oz, the dream can feel more real than what "actually" happened (see also Fred Madison remembering things the way he wants to).

This is sure a strange concept to be exploring in what is purportedly for much of its page count a found document/historical fiction (at least in TSH; TFD may be its own beast). However the more I think about it, the more excited I get. Now that TR is out there in the world, Mark can tell the story he wants to tell without any restraints, without having to hide the ball on certain things. Not that I think TSH suffered much from this -- just thinking about all this makes me want to give it another read -- but it was certainly a perplexing work in some ways (just as TR itself is: I think both are works packed with terrific moments, and where the overall structure and how everything adds up is maddening but fascinating). But I sure hope we see him explore this theme of subjective reality in a more concrete/overt way this time out.
AXX°N N.
Great Northern Member

Post by AXX°N N. »

Mr. Reindeer wrote:What does this mean for Mark's books? Well, I still don't believe every discrepancy is carefully placed, but it does seem that some likely were (maybe we'll get an Annie payoff for instance, given the particularly glaring retcon of Norma's mom), and more to the point, it seems that he was fast and loose with continuity because he knew he could be, given the mushiness of time and reality in the end of TR.

This is sure a strange concept to be exploring in what is purportedly for much of its page count a found document/historical fiction (at least in TSH; TFD may be its own beast). However the more I think about it, the more excited I get. Now that TR is out there in the world, Mark can tell the story he wants to tell without any restraints, without having to hide the ball on certain things. Not that I think TSH suffered much from this -- just thinking about all this makes me want to give it another read -- but it was certainly a perplexing work in some ways (just as TR itself is: I think both are works packed with terrific moments, and where the overall structure and how everything adds up is maddening but fascinating). But I sure hope we see him explore this theme of subjective reality in a more concrete/overt way this time out.
Yeah, I think the discrepancies make a whole lot of sense now when compared to Lynch's use of backward eye-blinks, and stuff viewers were debating as meaning anything, like extras walking backward in the background, the door when Tammy walks up to it looking glitched, the plane windows, Ed's reflection after the end of that one part, and the way the diner's interior changes after the guy runs in yelling for Billy. We have no idea how much of Frost's discrepancies or the weird glitches in the Return were intended or not, and it's almost like if they weren't intended, it doesn't even matter, because they become part of the mold, just like Silva becoming BOB or faulty lights becoming incorporated. Not sure how I feel about that, in fact it almost seems like cheating, but the fact I can't know is sort of mysterious and interesting.

I agree TSH was defined by what it was restrained by; but I think, also, the fact he was dancing around a core he couldn't outright open up made it work very well as a sort of texture-heavy thing to preface the new season. I'm actually sort of worried TFD will reveal too much.
Recipe not my own. In a coffee cup. 3 TBS flour, 2 TBS sugar, 1.5 TBS cocoa powder, .25 TSP baking powder, pinch of salt. 3 TBS milk, 1.5 TBS vegetable oil, 1 TBS peanut butter. Add and mix each set. Microwave 1 minute 10 seconds. The cup will be hot.
laughingpinecone
Great Northern Member

Post by laughingpinecone »

Amazon only lists Amy Wersching (Tammy's voice in TSHOTP) in the TFD audiobook. Do we have any different info or can we assume it means exactly what it says on the tin, i.e. that they didn't bother with a full cast production this time, and that Tammy is still the frame narrator?
] The gathered are known by their faces of stone.
Jerry Horne
Global Moderator

Post by Jerry Horne »

Looks like Mark will do a signing on 10/31 at Vroman's in Pasadena.
RARE TWIN PEAKS COLLECTIBLES AT ---> WWW.TWINPEAKSGENERALSTORE.BLOGSPOT.COM
Mb3
RR Diner Member

Post by Mb3 »

Can someone please let me know if and when The Final Dossier will be available over here in germany ? I probably didn't spend enough time to search for the release date but so far I couldn't find it nowhere.
Harry S. Truman
RR Diner Member

Post by Harry S. Truman »

In Spain, Germany, France and more countries there is not news of the book!! What countries have rights of the book??