'Twin Peaks: The Final Dossier' Novel by Mark Frost 10/31 (SPOILERS)

Moderators: Brad D, Annie, Jonah, BookhouseBoyBob, Ross, Jerry Horne

N. Needleman
Lodge Member

Re: Final Dossier Spoilers

Post by N. Needleman »

That sure sounds like an opening for Season 4 to me.

But it could also be an ending, period. I think what Part 18 means - whatever the interpretation of events - is that nothing Cooper did could ever truly erase Laura's story.
AnotherBlueRoseCase wrote:The Return is clearly guaranteed a future audience among stoners and other drug users.
Rik Renault
Roadhouse Member

Post by Rik Renault »

N. Needleman wrote:That sure sounds like an opening for Season 4 to me.

But it could also be an ending, period. I think what Part 18 means - whatever the interpretation of events - is that nothing Cooper did could ever truly erase Laura's story.
My mind is racing with all the possibilities opened up from this and I can't wait to read it for myself to draw my own interpretations from the book and discover what implications it has on my readings of the visual show. I think the answer about
Spoiler:
Twin Peaks happenings in the universe where Laura just disappeared
particularly will create dramatically new interpretations, specifically the scene where
Spoiler:
Leland appears to be hanging suicidally in the Red Room
among many others of course.

I love the answer to the
Spoiler:
Joudy/Judy situation too
and a few people on the thread laughed at the potential
Spoiler:
Beelzebub/BeelzeBOB
thing.

For me the closure that appears to be offered in the book tempered the rampant opaqueness in this season and its finale to a point where I feel like I will be able to enjoy this 'limited season event' a lot more upon rewatches.
Agent Earle
Bookhouse Member

Post by Agent Earle »

What about Annie and Windom Earle? Any concrete info/spoiler? Anyone? Much obliged in advance.
samhayel

Post by samhayel »

Hi everyone,

If I understand correctly,
Spoiler:
Freddie and his glove are real ? And his fight against BOB orb really happened ? I mean, It was not a dream but it happened in the "real world" ? I must admit I'm a bit disappointed about it, if that's the case...
Last edited by samhayel on Fri Oct 27, 2017 9:11 am, edited 2 times in total.
Pinky
RR Diner Member

Post by Pinky »

if they were to continue, how would they deal with having dealt with some of the open storylines in a book? I'd say S3 whittled down the audience considerably but probably not to the point where there's no one out there that's hardcore-fan enough to watch s4 but not quite enough to have read the book. People will fall between the cracks.

Just as an example, my brother has watched it, but he's in no way a rabid fan. He sure as hell wanted to know about Judy, though, and if we got a s4 then that's something he'd be looking forward to finding out more about. I can turn to him and say, 'ah, they explained Judy in the book, she's -----' etc, at which point he's just going to look confused and prob feel a bit cheated. Of course, they may well deal with Judy again in any s4, but then the scenario is that i'm ahead of the show and I know things that we're not meant to know yet.

Richard Kelly had something like this with his cut of Donnie Darko, you more or less had to have read this little time travel treatise thing for the full story to make sense. I'm all for stories not making sense, I loved S3 and i'd love more, but i'm curious as to how it would ever work satisfactorily. I guess it would work if any continuation was just Richard and Carrie in Odessaverse.

Also, if it's just a desk-clearing exercise for the hardcore fans so they get a few qs answered and Lynch gets a clean, context free canvas where he's truly free to go batshit, i'd be a happy man.

Sorry for the rambling, there's a point in there somewhere. The most concise way could be to say this:

not everyone who watched s3 and would watch a s4 is going to read the book. Either the book's going to be v important and some of it should have been put into the show, or the book is not all that important (like TSHOTP) because s4 is going to deal with other things. Which means v little continuity from s3, which will be heaven for the 10,000 or so people that would watch it:)
Tosker

Post by Tosker »

My initial reaction is that a lot more of this should have been covered in the show.
Spoiler:
All due respect to Lynch and Frost's story choices, but the Audrey backstory was sorely needed. And revealing some of the supplementary info for episode 17, on screen, could have made the finale much more rounded.
A lot of people, who felt burned by the show, aren't going to realize that they need to read The FInal Dossier and perhaps that's not really fair on them.

I still look forward to reading The Final Dossier for myself, but I can see how devisive it is going to be for fans. Knowing that there are actually some definitve answers that weren't on screen.

I will watch the reviews and reaction threads with interest. Who knew that The FInal Dossier would be this forthcoming?
thunderclap82
Roadhouse Member

Post by thunderclap82 »

N. Needleman wrote:Please post/PM more if you can for those of us who don't FB. Thanks.
The thread itself has the word "spoilers" in it. I think that should be sufficient for those that don't want things, you know, spoiled.
Shazbot

Post by Shazbot »

so, uh, how's Annie?
Rik Renault
Roadhouse Member

Post by Rik Renault »

Agent Earle wrote:What about Annie and Windom Earle? Any concrete info/spoiler? Anyone? Much obliged in advance.
Spoiler:
I can't remember about Windom Earle but Annie apparently isn't mentioned significantly/at all.
Agent Earle
Bookhouse Member

Post by Agent Earle »

Rik Renault wrote:
Agent Earle wrote:What about Annie and Windom Earle? Any concrete info/spoiler? Anyone? Much obliged in advance.
Spoiler:
I can't remember about Windom Earle but Annie apparently isn't mentioned significantly/at all.
That's strange.
Spoiler:
It's my understanding that there's a whole chapter named after her directly! How on Earth is that possible if is she's, as you say, barely mentioned???
Jasper
Bookhouse Member

Post by Jasper »

Pinky wrote:There's a lot there that would have been useful for any continuation, so if Frost's tying everything up like this, it looks like it's done.
Thanks so much, the spoilers have made me want to read the book all the more!
Mark Frost made some comments that were published just yesterday. They were posted in this thread:
viewtopic.php?f=3&t=3613&start=60
bowisneski wrote:Frost hasn't ruled out Season 4 either - http://www.indiewire.com/2017/10/twin-p ... 201891106/
“I haven’t decided yet,” said Frost in an interview with IndieWire. “I think it’s still an open question and it’s one that we’re looking at and one that I think Showtime is musing as well.”

“The anchor [for ‘Twin Peaks: The Return’] and starting point came from the moment we revisited the last episode of the original show,” said Frost. “Cooper’s dilemma of when Good Cooper trapped Bad Cooper [both played by Kyle MacLachlan] out and that weirdly prescient line of the spirit of Laura’s whispering to Cooper, ‘I will see you again in 25 years.’ That was the springboard to the story and that is where I saw the opening to bring us back and that is what I proposed to David when we got back together in 2012 and said this is where we can pick up the thread.”

“It’s something you have to think long and hard about,” said Frost. “We’ll make the decision when the time is right. There certainly is no sense of urgency about it.”
N. Needleman
Lodge Member

Post by N. Needleman »

thunderclap82 wrote:
N. Needleman wrote:Please post/PM more if you can for those of us who don't FB. Thanks.
The thread itself has the word "spoilers" in it. I think that should be sufficient for those that don't want things, you know, spoiled.
I was honoring a prior poster's request.
AnotherBlueRoseCase wrote:The Return is clearly guaranteed a future audience among stoners and other drug users.
Rik Renault
Roadhouse Member

Post by Rik Renault »

Agent Earle wrote:
Rik Renault wrote:
Spoiler:
That's strange.
Spoiler:
It's my understanding that there's a whole chapter named after her directly! How on Earth is that possible if is she's, as you say, barely mentioned???
My apologies, I think I must've been getting confused! His answer to this was:
Spoiler:
After the events of Episode 29, Annie was rushed to the hospital, where she acted consciously for about a day. Then she fell into the catatonic state we witnessed in The Missing Piece. Her recovery was slow, but eventually she managed to recover enough to be taken in custody from Norma, all while never speaking a word. Her recovery seemed to be pretty fast, but then she attempted suicide again by slitting her veins. They brought her to the hospital again, where she fell back into the catatonic state she began with, although she DID speak a phrase, a single unasked phrase. Afterwards, when it was evident that shee needed special care, she was brought (on the basis of community donations) in a private care center, where she still is. Today, she's out of the catatonic phase and seems very lively, although she doesn't speak but in one occasion: every year, on the anniversary of her return from the lodge, she tells to no one in particular the same sentence she spoke in the hospital room after her second attempt.
"I'm fine."
EZamor

Re: 'Twin Peaks: The Final Dossier' Novel by Mark Frost 10/31

Post by EZamor »

DeerMeadowRadio wrote:
dkenny78 wrote:
Spoiler:
It's interesting to read these pages because Frost clearly demonstrates a surprising knack for remembering a lot of details from the latter half of Season 2, like Leo's shock collar, birthday cake crumbs in his hair, etc. It just makes it even more odd that he would forget things like Ed and Nadine's marriage, the status of Norma's mother, Ben's Civil War outcome, and Audrey's relationship with her father at the time of the bank explosion. I'm holding out hope there's some sort of acknowledgement/explanation for the discrepancies, but I'm not counting on it.
Spoiler:
What are the discrepancies with the shock collar and cake crumbs? I thought those were nice touches.
Regarding earlier inconsistencies, Frost did say all will be revealed...
He said "All will be revealed. In time." Which makes a whole lot more sense now.
N. Needleman
Lodge Member

Post by N. Needleman »

That's dark. And cool.