'Twin Peaks: The Final Dossier' Novel by Mark Frost 10/31 (SPOILERS)

Moderators: Brad D, Annie, Jonah, BookhouseBoyBob, Ross, Jerry Horne

lotjx2
Roadhouse Member

Re: 'Twin Peaks: The Final Dossier' Novel by Mark Frost 10/31 (SPOILERS)

Post by lotjx2 »

I just got it for Christmas and tore through it in a few hours. I like how it opens with a known character's fate. That was a shocking way into it. I thought the book was good and how somethings were explained fairly well. Other times it felt like a rehash if things I already knew. The ending
Spoiler:
I feel is A Muppet Movie Ending where Tammy just outright says "Write your own ending." That the books already knows Season 3's finale is going to cause fans to lose their minds, so it seems to dismiss all the fan theories and states that you have to choose the ending. I think after months of stewing with this, I have come to the conclusion its rather ballsy for Lynch to tell fans "Here you figure it and whatever you decide its the right answer." I will say I am not cool with the Laura Palmer missing bit. That really bugs the hell out of me. I just kinda wish they would have made it part of a third timeline instead of remaking the universe. Not a fan of that at all then again as the writer of this story, I can just say Laura's scream reset everything and Dale appears after Tammy sends that finale message to Cole.
fearltd
Roadhouse Member

Post by fearltd »

fearltd wrote:I don't think this was included in the book, at least not in the digital copy. https://twitter.com/TwinPeaksArchve/sta ... 2559500288

It's a flyer/card that appeared to be for a memorial at the Roadhouse in 1994, to mark the 5th anniversary of Laura's passing (disappearance? :shock: ). I guess it was tweeted in some promotional picture from Flatiron so most of us just assumed it was from the Final Dossier.
If anyone else was curious about this, I found out that it was just promotional art for the UK publisher.

http://www.davidmoseley.co.uk/projects/ ... index.html
laughingpinecone
Great Northern Member

Post by laughingpinecone »

fearltd wrote:
fearltd wrote:I don't think this was included in the book, at least not in the digital copy. https://twitter.com/TwinPeaksArchve/sta ... 2559500288

It's a flyer/card that appeared to be for a memorial at the Roadhouse in 1994, to mark the 5th anniversary of Laura's passing (disappearance? :shock: ). I guess it was tweeted in some promotional picture from Flatiron so most of us just assumed it was from the Final Dossier.
If anyone else was curious about this, I found out that it was just promotional art for the UK publisher.

http://www.davidmoseley.co.uk/projects/ ... index.html
I was curious, so thanks a bunch! Very nice sleuthing! :!:
] The gathered are known by their faces of stone.
Rami Airola
RR Diner Member

Post by Rami Airola »

Surprisingly this book managed to get me back being interested in Twin Peaks again!

The Secret History had ok parts but was disappointing. Season 3 had good parts but was disappointing as a whole.
I had read some spoilers about this book and thought this was going to be disappointing too but, maybe because of lowered expectations, I enjoyed my time with The Final Dossier - especially the last third of the book was really good.

The negatives:
-It was disappointingly short.
-Some inconsistencies here and there.
-It has great opening and great last third, but some of the stuff in between wasn't that interesting.
-Lots of it was basically just retelling what we already saw in Season 3. It's as if Frost didn't feel the series told those things they way he wanted them to be told and he felt a need to tell it again. It kinda looks like it could be Lynch's and Frost's original "synopsis" for parts of Season 3.

The positives:
-I absolutely loved that lots of late Season 2 stuff was mentioned. Even the whole Evelyn Marsh subplot got a few lines! That's some dedicated fan service right there. Would've enjoyed a mention of Little Nicky too but I can't get everything.
-The Annie stuff was GREAT! I would've loved to see that in Season 3. It seems that Annie either responds to Bad Coop's "question" once a year or is saying what her current state is, as if she knows that in the universe she exists in her well being is questioned by a malicious force and every time the yearly question of "how's Annie" is asked again she automatically responds that she is still fine, she is not in danger. This idea is great!
-The book in general becomes amazingly interesting from the beginning of Major Briggs' part.
-I wasn't quite sure about the "Judy" reveals in Season 3, but for some reason even though the whole Ba'al thing was maybe a bit to on the nose I got seriously interested in it.

What comes to the alternative universe thing, I don't quite think it's supposed to be about actual alternative universes.
If our existence is actually a dream dreamed by the dreamer (God?), then things could be changed in this universe just like things can be changed in a dream.
The universe doesn't change. Timelines don't change. We are in the dream, our minds perceive the dream. Once a thing has been changed in the dream, our minds start to believe those changes and they become the new reality.
I think that the ending of Season 3 was about Cooper being in a potential idea of a potential reality, and perhaps not in an actual another timeline.
It's all about mind.
Maddy
Roadhouse Member

Post by Maddy »

I FINALLY got the book today and read through it in a couple of hours. :D

Very pleased with it on the whole, Leo's death I didn't think Earle killed him because he had already left by then.
I enjoyed the story about Annie too and didn't know Vivian wasn't really Norma's mom.
I find it hard to believe Donna Hayward would become a model, it is not really the way she is portrayed in season 2.
James exploits around the globe on the run from the police had me in giggles.
And Leland committting suicide? The one question that leaves me wondering about is was Teresa Banks still really murdered? And if Laura simply disappeared whatever happened to Maddy? Did she never come to Twin Peaks?
As for Judy I wondered if that had some kind of link to Sarah Palmer, her middle name is Judith and as we see in season 3 she has supernatural power too or is possessed by lodge spirits..probably nothing but anyway..
Audrey's "unknown" on the birth certificate of Richard makes me think the father was probably Wheeler because she gave birth only 9 months after the bank explosion in the timeline.
The Angels will return...
AXX°N N.
Great Northern Member

Post by AXX°N N. »

Maddy wrote:And if Laura simply disappeared whatever happened to Maddy? Did she never come to Twin Peaks?
Mark Frost said she isn't dead anymore in this Reddit AMA.
Recipe not my own. In a coffee cup. 3 TBS flour, 2 TBS sugar, 1.5 TBS cocoa powder, .25 TSP baking powder, pinch of salt. 3 TBS milk, 1.5 TBS vegetable oil, 1 TBS peanut butter. Add and mix each set. Microwave 1 minute 10 seconds. The cup will be hot.
Mr. Reindeer
Lodge Member

Post by Mr. Reindeer »

Tammy calls Sarah Laura’s only living relative near the end of the book. So seemingly something else happened to Maddy between then and 2017, unless Tammy is mistaken.
AXX°N N.
Great Northern Member

Post by AXX°N N. »

Mr. Reindeer wrote:Tammy calls Sarah Laura’s only living relative near the end of the book. So seemingly something else happened to Maddy between then and 2017, unless Tammy is mistaken.
Woah! Thank you for pointing that out. Perhaps she meant in the neighborhood of TP?
Recipe not my own. In a coffee cup. 3 TBS flour, 2 TBS sugar, 1.5 TBS cocoa powder, .25 TSP baking powder, pinch of salt. 3 TBS milk, 1.5 TBS vegetable oil, 1 TBS peanut butter. Add and mix each set. Microwave 1 minute 10 seconds. The cup will be hot.
Soolsma
Bookhouse Member

Post by Soolsma »

Or Frost simply forgot about Maddy at that point, and would probably attribute it to a mistake on Tammy's behalf if you'd ask him. seems more likely tbh..

On the other hand, BOB was still on the loose, trying to spell his name. Assuming he's got plenty of time to play with fire until Leland commits suicide on February 24th 1989, he might even have made some different kills by then!

But wait, wtf, that's actually impossible. Shouldn't BOB have joined the doppelgänger by then? Cooper entering the lodge should be in March '89! I thought the consensus was all of that stuff still happened. This also really begs the question, what would make BOB leave Leland, never been incarcerated nor caught? Could BOB have left Leland for a while already, giving him time to acknowledge the gaping hole where his conscience used to be, ultimately resulting in his suicide?

If this has been discussed before please point me to that.

(nice Reindeer, I've made use of your timeline)
Carrie Page: "It's a long way... In those days, I was too young to know any better."
Mr. Reindeer
Lodge Member

Post by Mr. Reindeer »

Haha, glad to be of service! The alternate timeline stuff is for sure confusing. (Tammy at one point says that Cooper was in town for a few months, which would be longer than the period he spent there in the original timeline, but certainly not for a full year.) Maybe once Laura was out of the picture, Bob got bored with Leland and saw more potential for mayhem with Cooper, and decided to pull the proverbial ripcord? It could also be that he knew Dale was the one who robbed him of Laura — his ultimate desired conquest whom he had been grooming for years — and set his sights on getting revenge on Dale.
Henrys Hair
RR Diner Member

Post by Henrys Hair »

Maddy wrote: Audrey's "unknown" on the birth certificate of Richard makes me think the father was probably Wheeler because she gave birth only 9 months after the bank explosion in the timeline.
The implication in the show (Doc Hayward seeing Cooper at the hospital) seemed to be that Bad Coop raped Audrey just after the bank explosion, so timewise both Wheeler & Cooper would fit.
AXX°N N.
Great Northern Member

Post by AXX°N N. »

Mr. Reindeer wrote:Haha, glad to be of service! The alternate timeline stuff is for sure confusing. (Tammy at one point says that Cooper was in town for a few months, which would be longer than the period he spent there in the original timeline, but certainly not for a full year.) Maybe once Laura was out of the picture, Bob got bored with Leland and saw more potential for mayhem with Cooper, and decided to pull the proverbial ripcord? It could also be that he knew Dale was the one who robbed him of Laura — his ultimate desired conquest whom he had been grooming for years — and set his sights on getting revenge on Dale.
That's the tricky thing about the Dossiers, it's hard to tell what are mistakes and what are small indications of potential import... also I'm in awe of your timeline! A few months ago I was attempting the exact same thing, though I was trying to beat the dates into something more like a cohesive timeline, got frustrated, and quit. Your approach is definitely the more wise.
Soolsma wrote:Or Frost simply forgot about Maddy at that point, and would probably attribute it to a mistake on Tammy's behalf if you'd ask him. seems more likely tbh..

On the other hand, BOB was still on the loose, trying to spell his name. Assuming he's got plenty of time to play with fire until Leland commits suicide on February 24th 1989, he might even have made some different kills by then!

But wait, wtf, that's actually impossible. Shouldn't BOB have joined the doppelgänger by then? Cooper entering the lodge should be in March '89! I thought the consensus was all of that stuff still happened. This also really begs the question, what would make BOB leave Leland, never been incarcerated nor caught? Could BOB have left Leland for a while already, giving him time to acknowledge the gaping hole where his conscience used to be, ultimately resulting in his suicide?
Hey now, that's just a thematic tool, memory is a tricky thing ... especially Mark's! :wink:

Yeah, the alternate timeline version of Leland's possession serves to compound how complicated it was already. Things like the ritualistic dirt mound w/ the Fire Walk With Me note in blood, and the whole idea of planting letters under the nails, fade from our awareness until brought up again in Leland's death scene. But at the same time that BOB spelling out his name is revealed, the serial pattern of BOB's killings and need for the spelled-out name is subverted, with Laura's death being elevated into a transference of hosts, with BOB trying to possess her ... and then by the time of Fire Walk With Me, the Theresa Banks murder is made out to be Leland's doing, less of a serial pattern and more something of a pragmatism.

So there was already the problem of figuring out what the end goal was with his fingernail streak, but all signs point to the reigns being taken up within Laura. I'm a fan of the John Thorne theory that Ronette was brought to the traincar as sacrifice, and as induction of Laura into full corruption and catalyst for continued homicides by killing her at her hand. And I think that, aside from a visual for the sake of it, to set a mood, there's a verisimilitude to the dirt mound and fingernails as function in the plot, because I think the easiest case is that BOB (perhaps like Lynch :o ) was setting these scenes as ways to instill fear. It seems most consistent with his character that anything he does is just to produce maximum terror, and merely suggests an insane, unfathomable occult purpose for which to better feed on the reaction.

So we already had BOB wanting to possess her--and in lieu of that, we get what happened in the series. Leland remains possessed, Laura's death is salvaged as fodder, and Cooper is used to launch a BOB posessed doppelganger into reality, who now (perhaps because of inhabiting a doppelganger for the first time) finds himself equipped with abilities to create and manage Tulpa. So now in the new timeline, with Laura missing entirely, the third outcome happens; in lieu of even her possession relegated to simple death, it seems BOB goes AWOL and leaves Leland alone with his guilty conscious. What I can't exactly pin down is why he wouldn't have just kept murdering ... perhaps Laura is what led him to the cabin, or perhaps Ronette alone, or anyone else near at hand, wasn't enough fuel. Laura had, for her entire life, been primed as a vat of sorrows after all.

Then that would mean all the Cooper stuff still happened ... because of Windom's volition, BOB didn't even need to remain in Leland for Cooper to be drawn into the lodge and taken advantage of, but that begs the next harrowing question: in the new timeline, what becomes of BOB? Does changing Laura's past keep intact the cockney lad who defeats BOB? The latter happens before the former, and the gravitas with which Cooper pardons himself almost makes it seem like it were the first necessary step to altering the timeline ... one almost gets the sense that killing BOB, a being outside of time, destroys him in every instance. But it's true that the first thing we see in the past is Leland's grimace.

So, it seems to me that only Laura's death were altered, and as result, BOB's killings stop before they even become a streak.
Soolsma
Bookhouse Member

Post by Soolsma »

Two things worth noting:

-BOB used suicide as a means of leaving Leland in the original timeline.

-In the altered timeline, Leland commited suicide near the falls at White Tail Peak, which is quite close to the Northern's entrance to the convenience store.
Carrie Page: "It's a long way... In those days, I was too young to know any better."
Maddy
Roadhouse Member

Post by Maddy »

AXX°N N. wrote:
Maddy wrote:And if Laura simply disappeared whatever happened to Maddy? Did she never come to Twin Peaks?

Thanks for that. The alternate timeline also makes me wonder what happened to Teresa Banks, was she still murdered do you think?
The Angels will return...
AXX°N N.
Great Northern Member

Post by AXX°N N. »

Maddy wrote:
AXX°N N. wrote:

Thanks for that. The alternate timeline also makes me wonder what happened to Teresa Banks, was she still murdered do you think?
I think so. She was mentioned in the Dossier as murdered ... and anything written in the Dossier, outside of Laura being referred to as murdered (by Briggs and Preston), is actually taking place in the new "official" timeline. So Teresa should still be dead, as well the saps Windom killed.