'Twin Peaks: The Final Dossier' Novel by Mark Frost 10/31 (SPOILERS)

Moderators: Brad D, Annie, Jonah, BookhouseBoyBob, Ross, Jerry Horne

eyeboogers
Great Northern Member

Re: 'Twin Peaks: The Final Dossier' Novel by Mark Frost 10/31

Post by eyeboogers »

madeleineferguson wrote:I think it looks perfect!

I wonder about specifying that it's a novel. Does this mean it will be a real narrative, and if so, whose story will be told? Judging by the cover, I'd guess maybe an FBI agent...
"The Secret History..." is also A novel. It's just to make sure potential buyers knows that it's not a book about the TV series, but rather a new Twin Peaks story.
Harry S. Truman
RR Diner Member

Post by Harry S. Truman »

N. Needleman wrote:The triangle is related to the Illuminati, IIRC.

I'm sure that triangles are not just about Illuminati . If we remember, according to the description of the book, are going to produce strange cosmic events in this new season. Maybe those triangles have to do with that too.
Rudagger
RR Diner Member

Post by Rudagger »

While I think the triangles might be a bit overboard, I still think it's pretty beautiful. I think the design aspects have been on point. Whoever is doing all that stuff needs some applause (hell, I don't think I saw a single interviewer ask Frost about how/who designed the cover, how the design process for the documents was, etc.)

It would be a nice touch if the FBI sigil, underneath the slip cover, had a rose stem or something, as an homage to the blue rose cases.

Still curious about the length though. 176 pages feels really on the short side compared to TSHOTP's length (though, that was on the long side, so)
AXX°N N.
Great Northern Member

Post by AXX°N N. »

EDIT: whoops, missed the most recent page.

The triangle emanating down from the FBI seal made me think of UFOs. :o
Last edited by AXX°N N. on Mon Apr 24, 2017 6:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Recipe not my own. In a coffee cup. 3 TBS flour, 2 TBS sugar, 1.5 TBS cocoa powder, .25 TSP baking powder, pinch of salt. 3 TBS milk, 1.5 TBS vegetable oil, 1 TBS peanut butter. Add and mix each set. Microwave 1 minute 10 seconds. The cup will be hot.
The Jumping Man
RR Diner Member

Post by The Jumping Man »

176 pages feels really on the short side
Yeah, that's really short for any novel. I wonder if they're going a lot lighter on the design elements this time. Seems like an accelerated production schedule compared to the first book.
N. Needleman
Lodge Member

Post by N. Needleman »

Harry S. Truman wrote:I'm sure that triangles are not just about Illuminati .
The triangles are specifically mentioned as being related to the Illuminati in Secret History and I have no idea what else you think they could be, but okay, it's Monday, I'm tired.
AnotherBlueRoseCase wrote:The Return is clearly guaranteed a future audience among stoners and other drug users.
AXX°N N.
Great Northern Member

Post by AXX°N N. »

The Jumping Man wrote:
176 pages feels really on the short side
Yeah, that's really short for any novel. I wonder if they're going a lot lighter on the design elements this time. Seems like an accelerated production schedule compared to the first book.
You might already be aware, but further in-thread there was confirmation that all of this material was originally supposed to be in SHOTP, but was taken out so as to preserve surprises in terms of where characters are at in their lives. Which means that the production that needs done would include only the design elements, presumably.
Recipe not my own. In a coffee cup. 3 TBS flour, 2 TBS sugar, 1.5 TBS cocoa powder, .25 TSP baking powder, pinch of salt. 3 TBS milk, 1.5 TBS vegetable oil, 1 TBS peanut butter. Add and mix each set. Microwave 1 minute 10 seconds. The cup will be hot.
The Jumping Man
RR Diner Member

I saw people speculating that, but I guess I missed the confirmation. Who/what was the source of that?
Mr. Reindeer
Lodge Member

Post by Mr. Reindeer »

N. Needleman wrote:
The triangles are specifically mentioned as being related to the Illuminati in Secret History and I have no idea what else you think they could be, but okay, it's Monday, I'm tired.
Triangles and diamond/half-diamond shapes also figure into the Briggs/Log Lady tattoos and the ring, as prominently used in the cover and front pages of the first book.
Rudagger
RR Diner Member

Post by Rudagger »

The Jumping Man wrote:I saw people speculating that, but I guess I missed the confirmation. Who/what was the source of that?
I checked back a bit in the thread, I didn't see any confirmation of it. Just that Frost was asked about the initial press release saying it would lead up to the new series, and Frost saying that the press release was a generic release made before they really knew what the book was (and that it would be spoiling the new series by going that route). I think most of us are just making an assumption though, given the year turn around, that he must've wrote some of this stuff at the same time.
polishq
RR Diner Member

Post by polishq »

Mr. Reindeer wrote:
N. Needleman wrote:
Triangles and diamond/half-diamond shapes also figure into the Briggs/Log Lady tattoos and the ring, as prominently used in the cover and front pages of the first book.
Not to mention that triangle = peak !
Shloogorgh
RR Diner Member

Post by Shloogorgh »

Rudagger wrote:
The Jumping Man wrote:I saw people speculating that, but I guess I missed the confirmation. Who/what was the source of that?
I checked back a bit in the thread, I didn't see any confirmation of it. Just that Frost was asked about the initial press release saying it would lead up to the new series, and Frost saying that the press release was a generic release made before they really knew what the book was (and that it would be spoiling the new series by going that route). I think most of us are just making an assumption though, given the year turn around, that he must've wrote some of this stuff at the same time.
I remember Frost saying that when he conceived of the project, he quickly realized writing about the 25/27 year gap would be too constrained by spoiler material, and so he quickly scrapped the idea (with the caveat of another possible book after the series). I could have sworn I read that, but I can't find it now.
The Jumping Man
RR Diner Member

Yeah, that's why I find it hard to believe he'd written a book's worth of stuff before realizing, 'Oh wait, this would be spoilery!"
dreamshake
RR Diner Member

Post by dreamshake »

Watching videos from the book tour and listening to interviews during the tour, it sounded like he was maybe working on this concurrently with TSHOTP or at least knew exactly where he would go if sales were good.
Soolsma
Bookhouse Member

Post by Soolsma »

Soolsma wrote:Got it :) Thank god I remembered he used the word detrimental.. Saved me from a long google search session..
Ryan W. Bradley: The initial announcement of the book said it was going to bridge the gap between the original series and the new one, but it doesn’t do that at all. Was that misreported or did the project evolve away from that?
Mark Frost: It was misreported. It was a generic press release that was put out before we really even knew what the book was. I quickly realized there was too much proprietary information that would have been contained in those gap years and might have been detrimental to the eventual series.
source
Seems pretty obvious to me?
Carrie Page: "It's a long way... In those days, I was too young to know any better."