'Twin Peaks: The Final Dossier' Novel by Mark Frost 10/31 (SPOILERS)

Moderators: Brad D, Annie, Jonah, BookhouseBoyBob, Ross, Jerry Horne

dronerstone
RR Diner Member

Re: 'Twin Peaks: The Final Dossier' Novel by Mark Frost 10/31

Post by dronerstone »

What just crossed my mind and has my thoughts and imagination going wicked wild right now and I can't stop thinking about...

The next book will probably FINALLY (!!!) be a bridge between seasons 2 and 3 - and by calling it "The Final Dossier" Frost also implies that there won't be any (need for) follow-up dossiers and evidence collections put out whatsoever, for some reason.

Anyone else find this weird? Spooky? Telling? Feels like a clever hint?
No more investigation dossiers about the Palmer/TP/Cooper (?) case??? Thinking about the big "why"...

Am I reading too much into it (and the spoilers that I've read) or will there never be another dossier (needed???) after season 3 starts and/or after the end "of it all".

That name is definitely leaning itself way out of a window. Everything's possible at this time.

Share your thoughts please, I might've stumbled upon something I suppose. Really interesting hypothesis that'd go well with what those who follow spoilers and such might've read. :)
Soolsma
Bookhouse Member

Post by Soolsma »

Surely the title implies there will be some definite closure, but count on unanswered questions as well
Carrie Page: "It's a long way... In those days, I was too young to know any better."
dronerstone
RR Diner Member

Post by dronerstone »

Yup, but I'm thinking more of the whole universe that it's set in disintegrating, like not being there anymore or ceasing to exist because a certain veil is lifted.

It's hard to go into detail and not spoil to get my hypothesis across. ;)
Mr. Reindeer
Lodge Member

Post by Mr. Reindeer »

dronerstone wrote:Yup, but I'm thinking more of the whole universe that it's set in disintegrating, like not being there anymore or ceasing to exist because a certain veil is lifted.

It's hard to go into detail and not spoil to get my hypothesis across. ;)
Sounds like Stephen King's Dark Tower (which I'm reading now in anticipation of the film)! I don't necessarily want the series to go this direction, but it would certainly explain the discrepancies in Frost's book.
Harry S. Truman
RR Diner Member

Post by Harry S. Truman »

Soolsma wrote:Surely the title implies there will be some definite closure, but count on unanswered questions as well

That the title of the book be the final dossier does not mean that this third season be the definitive end of the series. If the series has quite successful, I see Lynch and Frost doing more twin peaks.
Harry S. Truman
RR Diner Member

Post by Harry S. Truman »

dronerstone wrote:What just crossed my mind and has my thoughts and imagination going wicked wild right now and I can't stop thinking about...

The next book will probably FINALLY (!!!) be a bridge between seasons 2 and 3 - and by calling it "The Final Dossier" Frost also implies that there won't be any (need for) follow-up dossiers and evidence collections put out whatsoever, for some reason.

Anyone else find this weird? Spooky? Telling? Feels like a clever hint?
No more investigation dossiers about the Palmer/TP/Cooper (?) case??? Thinking about the big "why"...

Am I reading too much into it (and the spoilers that I've read) or will there never be another dossier (needed???) after season 3 starts and/or after the end "of it all".

That name is definitely leaning itself way out of a window. Everything's possible at this time.

Share your thoughts please, I might've stumbled upon something I suppose. Really interesting hypothesis that'd go well with what those who follow spoilers and such might've read. :)

Everything can happen. In principle this should be the end, but as I said, if the series has quite successful audience, do not rule out that continue. We will have to wait, and see what happens.
Rudagger
RR Diner Member

Post by Rudagger »

Harry S. Truman wrote:
Soolsma wrote:Surely the title implies there will be some definite closure, but count on unanswered questions as well

That the title of the book be the final dossier does not mean that this third season be the definitive end of the series. If the series has quite successful, I see Lynch and Frost doing more twin peaks.
I can't. Lynch is 71. If they plan on doing a new season, they should've frankly already started writing it, unless they're really planning on taking another 3-4 years to release a season.

I think best case scenario is that the initial 9 episode order being expanded to 18 was essentially a 'two season order' in everything but name.

Mind you, I'm one of the people that would prefer the show gets ended on it's own terms with the new 18 hours, rather than having a lot of stuff being left floating around in hopes of another set of episodes (because god forbid it bombs ..)
Agent Earle
Bookhouse Member

Post by Agent Earle »

Continuing the show with Lynch & Frost as writers/showrunners possessing an inalienable power of veto and with other directors helming the episodes, with Lynch occasionally stepping in to do a particularly crucial one, should be just fine. I'd definitely be up for that - anything to keep the show going, although in this case, it would most definitely not be just anything.
eyeboogers
Great Northern Member

Post by eyeboogers »

Lynch is 71 not 91.Clearly he just had the energy to write and direct 18 episodes in one go. It's not even that long since he last fathered a child. Lynch health/age doesn't seem to be what dictates whether "Twin Peaks" continues on. I don't think any of us really know if we'd want it to before seeing the new season - and how it ends.
AXX°N N.
Great Northern Member

Post by AXX°N N. »

Agent Earle wrote:Continuing the show with Lynch & Frost as writers/showrunners possessing an inalienable power of veto and with other directors helming the episodes, with Lynch occasionally stepping in to do a particularly crucial one, should be just fine. I'd definitely be up for that - anything to keep the show going, although in this case, it would most definitely not be just anything.
In days when Disney pumps out 20 movies an annum, books flood the aisles, comics flood the stands, I feel as if the new TP being a strictly concentrated and focused effort is a rejection against 'doing more for the sake of it.'
Recipe not my own. In a coffee cup. 3 TBS flour, 2 TBS sugar, 1.5 TBS cocoa powder, .25 TSP baking powder, pinch of salt. 3 TBS milk, 1.5 TBS vegetable oil, 1 TBS peanut butter. Add and mix each set. Microwave 1 minute 10 seconds. The cup will be hot.
Agent Earle
Bookhouse Member

Post by Agent Earle »

AXX°N N. wrote: In days when Disney pumps out 20 movies an annum, books flood the aisles, comics flood the stands, I feel as if the new TP being a strictly concentrated and focused effort is a rejection against 'doing more for the sake of it.'
Obviously, I haven't meant it in that sense. But if the creators' TP muse has awoken, I don't see why I'd have to be eager for them to shut it up ASAP. God knows it's been dormant for too long.
N. Needleman
Lodge Member

Post by N. Needleman »

dronerstone wrote:Yup, but I'm thinking more of the whole universe that it's set in disintegrating, like not being there anymore or ceasing to exist because a certain veil is lifted.
nah dude
AnotherBlueRoseCase wrote:The Return is clearly guaranteed a future audience among stoners and other drug users.
DirkG
RR Diner Member

Post by DirkG »

Agent Earle wrote:Continuing the show with Lynch & Frost as writers/showrunners possessing an inalienable power of veto and with other directors helming the episodes, with Lynch occasionally stepping in to do a particularly crucial one, should be just fine. I'd definitely be up for that - anything to keep the show going, although in this case, it would most definitely not be just anything.
I would sort of love to have more Twin Peaks in the original-series-vain that you're describing. But on the other hand, I'd be too nervous if that would end on a cliffhanger and suddenly Lynch would no longer be able to do more. I can't accept TP without Lynch, that's impossible. So my opinion is that IF this season 3 turns out to have a really strong and impactful ending, I just don't want any more TP. The risks would feel bigger than the eventual rewards.
SpookyDollhouse
RR Diner Member

Post by SpookyDollhouse »

DirkG wrote:
I would sort of love to have more Twin Peaks in the original-series-vain that you're describing. But on the other hand, I'd be too nervous if that would end on a cliffhanger and suddenly Lynch would no longer be able to do more. I can't accept TP without Lynch, that's impossible. So my opinion is that IF this season 3 turns out to have a really strong and impactful ending, I just don't want any more TP. The risks would feel bigger than the eventual rewards.
this all day
eyeboogers
Great Northern Member

Post by eyeboogers »

The reason why it's ridiculous that some people are already expressing that they wouldn't want more "Twin Peaks" after this season, is that many people had the same stance before season 3 was announced. They were scared that the legacy would be tarnished and that it would impact their love of the show. Some even felt it would be a sellout move by Lynch/Frost. However, I have not once in the past year come across any post stating that they wished the new season wasn't happening.