'Twin Peaks: The Final Dossier' Novel by Mark Frost 10/31 (SPOILERS)

Moderators: Brad D, Annie, Jonah, BookhouseBoyBob, Ross, Jerry Horne

laughingpinecone
Great Northern Member

Re: 'Twin Peaks: The Final Dossier' Novel by Mark Frost 10/31 (SPOILERS)

Post by laughingpinecone »

Both? Some were very likely older thoughts (like the confirmation that Steven didn't shoot Becky, that must've come up while plotting the show), some sounded like cheerful freestyling (the excellent Dick Tremayne answer, for one), the rest... who knows. For example, I assumed he'd made a mistake in not going back to present-day Bobby, but last week a friend spitballed "maybe Tammy hightailed it outta town before completing her assignment?" and now lo and behold it's the official version. Could be that it was very straightforward spitballing and both my friend and Mark Frost came up with the same idea on the spot. Could be that it was intentional, with a few interrupted stories just like in the show and Tammy's urgency at the end is there to explain why the dossier feels incomplete, and my friend read the clues correctly. I can see both. At any rate, doing a good impression of a cat landing on his feet is a narrative skill in and by itself and I was thrilled to see the obvious retcons and new additions he came up with just like that!
] The gathered are known by their faces of stone.
Hester Prynne
RR Diner Member

Post by Hester Prynne »

bowisneski wrote:
The fate of Dick Tremayne
Dick Tremayne is selling real estate in Bellingham. He once tried to get in touch with Wally Brando. Wally ignored him.
Well - this certainly explains a lot.
Xavi
RR Diner Member

Post by Xavi »

Deus ex machina? Is that writing down, without any further explanation, that Mr C's true goal behind the array of coordinates was to find a place that was described as the "endless corridor" ? Mr Frost throws random straws that float on the surface of a shallow pond, whereas a firm meaning lies beneath a vast mauve ocean with waves of at least 7 meters high.
Jerry Horne
Global Moderator

Post by Jerry Horne »

Number 4 on the New York Times Bestseller List.
RARE TWIN PEAKS COLLECTIBLES AT ---> WWW.TWINPEAKSGENERALSTORE.BLOGSPOT.COM
Mr. Reindeer
Lodge Member

Post by Mr. Reindeer »

Jerry Horne wrote:Number 4 on the New York Times Bestseller List.
congratulations Mark!! Wonder how many readers that translates to.
eyeboogers
Great Northern Member

Post by eyeboogers »

Mr. Reindeer wrote:
Jerry Horne wrote:Number 4 on the New York Times Bestseller List.
congratulations Mark!! Wonder how many readers that translates to.

TSHOTP had its debut at #6 so this is good news, and that maybe we shouldn't be too sad about the Showtime live ratings. Seems there is still a fanbase post "The Return" :-D
claaa7
Great Northern Member

Post by claaa7 »

that's great news!

Frost did a good job with these two books in really mapping out the entire show and much of what went before and some of what went after. to me these books are essential to the world of Twin Peaks, more so than the weakest episodes in the back half of Season 2. i can't wait for December 3rd and the Blu Ray box as i think it will be amazing to rewatch the series again now after having read the Final Dossier and getting some more hints at which of our theories match up with those of its creators.
Agent Earle
Bookhouse Member

Post by Agent Earle »

In my view, nothing is as essential to the world of Twin Peaks as the first two seasons.
krishnanspace
Bookhouse Member

Post by krishnanspace »

i thought the freddy stuff was Lynch and Frost making fun of superhero movies,where its every hero's destiny to defeat evil and save the world
claaa7
Great Northern Member

Post by claaa7 »

i didn't know David Lynch is releasing an autobiography book in early 2018 called Room to Dream:

https://www.penguinrandomhouse.com/book ... 399589195/

another great TP related book on the horizon in other words
Jerry Horne
Global Moderator

Post by Jerry Horne »

claaa7 wrote:i didn't know David Lynch is releasing an autobiography book in early 2018 called Room to Dream:

https://www.penguinrandomhouse.com/book ... 399589195/

another great TP related book on the horizon in other words
Thread:

viewtopic.php?f=1&t=3397
RARE TWIN PEAKS COLLECTIBLES AT ---> WWW.TWINPEAKSGENERALSTORE.BLOGSPOT.COM
sewhite2000
RR Diner Member

Re: 'Twin Peaks: The Final Dossier' Novel by Mark Frost 10/31

Post by sewhite2000 »

laughingpinecone wrote:
Spoiler:
My understanding is that Tammy's character predates the tie-in books.

As for Albert's snark, there's one big thing to consider imho: this is young Albert. Show Albert is a lot older. And age has a lot to do with the... energy it takes to be so damn extra all the time. I find the transition between '89 Albert and 2010s Albert very natural, and this magnificent, spot-on voice is imho a big hint that it was intended.
That's a good point I didn't really think about while reading. I kinda got a thrill while reading the book, thinking Albert sounds like Albert again! But of course that was Albert at the age when he was at the height of his snark, not Albert 25 years older and wiser.
sewhite2000
RR Diner Member

Post by sewhite2000 »

squealy wrote:Frost writes on page 45 that Annie was born in 1973, and then on page 49 that she came to Twin Peaks (which would have been in 1989) in her early twenties... so the criticism of The Secret History didn't sharpen up his attention to detail.

He does manage to write his way out of the inconsistency in Norma's backstory... though one might ask why Tammy Preston would feel she had to tell Gordon anything about Vivian Smythe.
I don't agree he completely wrote his way out Vivian Smythe inconsistency. Watch the scene again when Norma expresses her hurt at Vivian's betrayal in S2, in which she tells Vivian, "But you're my mother!" and the hurt and pain in her voice, one of the best moments of the entire series, doesn't indicate that she's saying, "But you're the woman who married my father after I was already an adult whom I barely know'.
sewhite2000
RR Diner Member

Post by sewhite2000 »

Ashok wrote:I really enjoyed TFD. What I found most interesting is that Preston's research was still based on Laura being killed by BOB/Leland. And she's never seen Agent Cooper or Diane since Coop went into the boiler room. So if I'm interpreting this correctly, Cooper's 430 mile trip occurred in a second "Laura disappears" timeline which now seems to be influencing the original "Laura was killed" timeline after Season 3 ended.
My head hurts when I think too hard about this, but I think we are essentially seeing two "universes" more than we are timelines. One is the Twin Peaks we know and spent three seasons in, but it has been altered by Cooper's actions at the end of Episode 17 so that Laura didn't die but instead disappeared from that universe. Laura is now in the second universe, the one we see in the final episode of the new season. Her soul is presumably the same, but in this universe, she's now lived her entire life as a completely different woman. Cooper and Diane cross over to this second universe. Diane promptly forgets her life in the old universe and abandons Cooper. Cooper still seems to remember who he is, but his personality is altered. He seems to be some amalgam now of himself, DoppleCoop and DougieCoop. Cooper and Laura are still in this other universe at the end of the series. We know this because there are no Palmers in what we think should be the Palmer house and certainly don't appear to have been any time recently, if ever.

That Tammy and Gordon should remember, even temporarily, what the reality was in the first universe before Cooper altered its history, seems really weird to me. If Laura never died, I don't understand how they could remember something that now never happened.
PsychoFox
Roadhouse Member

Post by PsychoFox »

I don't get the point with Becky: why some people here seem to believe she would have died in the show ?

I don't remember her last scene. Is it with her parents at the Double R ?

Thanks.