'Twin Peaks: The Final Dossier' Novel by Mark Frost 10/31 (SPOILERS)

Moderators: Brad D, Annie, Jonah, BookhouseBoyBob, Ross, Jerry Horne

dronerstone
RR Diner Member

Re: 'Twin Peaks: The Final Dossier' Novel by Mark Frost 10/31

Post by dronerstone »

baxter wrote:I really have the feeling that there was one big book at some point, and they just ripped out the last bit to protect the series. They then waited to see how the first book did before committing to the second one.
Same here. And that probably happened somewhere between making it available for preorder and actually shipping the first copies.
madeleineferguson
RR Diner Member

Post by madeleineferguson »

Do we think the Halloween release date is intentional? Is Flatiron aiming to market the book as "horror"? Or was that date simply the best option in the grand scheme of things?
dronerstone
RR Diner Member

Post by dronerstone »

I guess it just fits well.

The show wraps roughly two months prior to 10/31, viewers old and new will be able to catch up and digest within that timeframe, therefore (and because it's "creepy/spooky time" as well) just right to sit down, have some coffee and open the final chapter of Peaks history. :)

And don't forget that it'll be there for Christmas season, which usually starts quite early in terms of marketing.

Fits to a T if you ask me.
Panapaok
Bookhouse Member

Post by Panapaok »

baxter wrote:I really have the feeling that there was one big book at some point, and they just ripped out the last bit to protect the series. They then waited to see how the first book did before committing to the second one.
That's my guess as well.
This is - excuse me - a damn fine cup of coffee.
Soolsma
Bookhouse Member

Post by Soolsma »

I think I remember Mark stating something like that. That a whole portion he originally intended for the first book was left out because it would be damaging towards the series. An AMA? an interview? podcast?
Carrie Page: "It's a long way... In those days, I was too young to know any better."
Soolsma
Bookhouse Member

Post by Soolsma »

Got it :) Thank god I remembered he used the word detrimental.. Saved me from a long google search session..
Ryan W. Bradley: The initial announcement of the book said it was going to bridge the gap between the original series and the new one, but it doesn’t do that at all. Was that misreported or did the project evolve away from that?
Mark Frost: It was misreported. It was a generic press release that was put out before we really even knew what the book was. I quickly realized there was too much proprietary information that would have been contained in those gap years and might have been detrimental to the eventual series.
source
Carrie Page: "It's a long way... In those days, I was too young to know any better."
dronerstone
RR Diner Member

Post by dronerstone »

Thanks Soolsma!
N. Needleman
Lodge Member

Post by N. Needleman »

I'l just say this: I have my doubts Lynch will be content letting the final word on Twin Peaks be in a book by someone else.
AnotherBlueRoseCase wrote:The Return is clearly guaranteed a future audience among stoners and other drug users.
dronerstone
RR Diner Member

Post by dronerstone »

N. Needleman wrote:I'l just say this: I have my doubts Lynch will be content letting the final word on Twin Peaks be in a book by someone else.
He'll have to greenlight it anyway.
There we go again, I never quite understood their separate approach of book vs video.
Mr. Reindeer
Lodge Member

Post by Mr. Reindeer »

N. Needleman wrote:I'l just say this: I have my doubts Lynch will be content letting the final word on Twin Peaks be in a book by someone else.
"Final word" from a release standpoint you mean? I don't see why he'd care. Obviously it's too early to know the nature of either S3 or the book, but I think the most likely scenario is that this book, like its predecessor, will be more about filling in backstory and some tangential world-building built around Mark's fascinations than a true continuation of the main story. If S3 is, as some suspect, an ending to the main story of TP, it will be the final word.
laughingpinecone
Great Northern Member

Post by laughingpinecone »

I doubt it will be anyway, from a release standpoint. Oct 31st comes well before any DVD/Blu ray shenanigans, which I hope will offer exclusive content...
] The gathered are known by their faces of stone.
The Jumping Man
RR Diner Member

Post by The Jumping Man »

Oct 31st comes well before any DVD/Blu ray shenanigans, which I hope will offer exclusive content...
"The Final Missing Pieces."
Harry S. Truman
RR Diner Member

Post by Harry S. Truman »

Mr. Reindeer wrote:
"Final word" from a release standpoint you mean? I don't see why he'd care. Obviously it's too early to know the nature of either S3 or the book, but I think the most likely scenario is that this book, like its predecessor, will be more about filling in backstory and some tangential world-building built around Mark's fascinations than a true continuation of the main story. If S3 is, as some suspect, an ending to the main story of TP, it will be the final word.
If the series has success that we wait, i doubt of the Word " Final" for the book and for the series.
Harry S. Truman
RR Diner Member

I Agree!
Harry S. Truman
RR Diner Member

Dalai Cooper wrote:Wow so called twin peaks fans somehow content with 18 hours and two novels
I would call it parts! And i thing that all the parts won´t be of a hour.