'Twin Peaks: The Final Dossier' Novel by Mark Frost 10/31 (SPOILERS)

Moderators: Brad D, Annie, Jonah, BookhouseBoyBob, Ross, Jerry Horne

Mr. Reindeer
Lodge Member

Re: 'Twin Peaks: The Final Dossier' Novel by Mark Frost 10/31

Post by Mr. Reindeer »

MoondogJR wrote:Bit surprised that I didn't find this here:
Spoiler:
150-second excerpt which reveals the tragic demise (and birth name) of a character from the original series by way of a priceless autopsy report by the always eloquent FBI Special Agent Albert Rosenfield: http://welcometotwinpeaks.com/news/twin ... audiobook/
Spoiler:
Odd. It seems like TFD to some extent is going to have a “taking care of unfinished business from the original series” vibe as many have expected, and will continue to retcon liberally (if we are meant to assume that Albert is right and Earle returned to the cabin at some point, this seems inconsistent with Episode 29). I do like the self-aware acknowledgment that the tarantulas were more stock movie device than real threat (similar to Mark’s self-effacing references in TSHoTP to the fact that they cribbed the plot of Body Heat and were a tad insensitive with the “Tommy Hawk” pun). Worth noting that the Episode 29 script has a scene where Hawk and Garland find Leo and he lets go of the cage...we cut to the outside of the cabin and the stage directions specify screaming and (bewilderingly) gunshots! Obviously the show went a different direction, but Mark seems really fixated on Leo being inexplicably shot!
The Jumping Man
RR Diner Member

Post by The Jumping Man »

But...
Spoiler:
Albert assumes it's Earle because of the FBI stance. Whereas my assumption is that it was Evil Coop, who Albert wouldn't have known about.
The Archivist
Roadhouse Member

Post by The Archivist »

iBooks has a sample of some pages, around 30 I guess, of The Final Dossier.

https://itunes.apple.com/gb/book/twin-p ... 4664?mt=11.

Unfortunately, this appears to be accessible only through iOS devices.
As a student, I went to the Uni library and used a Mac and took screenshots in order to read it.

Some important considerations (SPOILER):
Spoiler:
- The book appears to be a collection of file cases on several characters from the series / movie
- The approach seems to be that of tidying lose threads. For instance, in the sample, it explains what happened to Leo, to the Hayward family and, to an extent, to Shelly, between season 2 and 3.
- The whole content page is visible in the sample, if you wish I can post it here too. I know I am under spoiler tag but I don't want to say TOO much. It appears though, we could finally have an answer to a 27 years old cliffhanger: 'How's Annie?'
The Jumping Man
RR Diner Member

Post by The Jumping Man »

Frost is doing a panel Saturday morning at the Austin Film Festival. A few days too early to get my book signed, unless Amazon ships early.
The Archivist
Roadhouse Member

Post by The Archivist »

The Jumping Man wrote:Frost is doing a panel Saturday morning at the Austin Film Festival. A few days too early to get my book signed, unless Amazon ships early.
They might sell copies on the same day, it that case you might want to cancel your Amazon order :D
krishnanspace
Bookhouse Member

Post by krishnanspace »

Spoiler:
There may also be a hint on the owner of the Glass Box in New York and its not who you think :D .It is not explicitly mentioned but when it said New York,the Glass Box came to my mind lol
Mr. Reindeer
Lodge Member

Post by Mr. Reindeer »

Spoiler:
Odd that there isn’t a “chapter” on the Mill. I really expected this book to focus on the closing of the Mill’s economic effect on the town, given Mark’s political interests and the breadcrumbs dropped in the first book.

Ray is the only character from the new show to get a chapter. The table of contents oddly uses Margaret’s maiden name.

The fate of the Hayward family is sure sad, especially given that Will was one of the sweetest characters on the old show. Wonder what inspired Mark to give his dad’s character such a dark turn.
squealy
Roadhouse Member

Post by squealy »

Detailed spoilers from the sample:
Spoiler:
The sample includes the introduction by Tammy Preston, Albert's autopsy report on Leo Johnson, a short chapter about Shelly, and the chapter "Hornes and Haywards" about the fallout from the confrontation between Doc Hayward and Ben Horne in the S2 finale

We learn that:
--Shelly and Bobby were married in Reno a year after Leo's death, and Becky was born seven months later
--Doc Hayward split from his wife not long after the fight with Ben and moved to Middlebury, Vermont (where Warren Frost lived in his last years)
--Donna moved to New York "for good" after she graduated from high school (there is another chapter about her, not in the preview, that will reveal more)
--Mrs. Hayward died in 2009 of pneumonia -- Ben had been sending her money every month from an offshore account
--Harriet Hayward is a pediatrician in Bellevue outside Seattle
--Gersten's story is held for later in the book

Chapter titles:
Interoffice Memorandum
Autopsy Report
Shelly Johnson
Hornes and Haywards
Donna Hayward
Ben and Audrey Horne
Jerry Horne
The Double R
Annie Blackburn
Windom Earle
Back in Twin Peaks
Miss Twin Peaks
Dr. Lawrence Jacoby
Margaret Coulson (!)
Sheriff Harry Truman
Major Briggs
Philip Jeffries
Judy
Ray Monroe
Today
Final Thoughts
vicksvapor77
Great Northern Member

Post by vicksvapor77 »

Great stuff! I sure do hope we find out more about the following topics, outside of the chapter titles we see:

1) Whose necklace is Shelly wearing? What split up her and Bobby? When did Bobby become a deputy?
2) When/what was James' accident? Why did it make him quiet?
3) When did Nadine open her drapes shop?
dkenny78
RR Diner Member

Post by dkenny78 »

Also,
Spoiler:
Richard Horne is confirmed to have been born approximately nine months after the S2 finale, basically confirming that Evil Coop raped a comatose Audrey when they were both in the hospital.
Mr. Reindeer
Lodge Member

Post by Mr. Reindeer »

Spoiler:
Looks like, outside of the “Judy” chapter, this one will be missing the mythological/historical focus of the first book. Too bad, that stuff was by far the most compelling material to me in the first one.
bowisneski
RR Diner Member

Post by bowisneski »

I created an imgur album for those that might not be able to access the preview otherwise.
Mr. Reindeer
Lodge Member

Post by Mr. Reindeer »

Spoiler:
Do we think the other drug dealer found in the woods was Cliff Howard?! It could be Bernie Renault, but it would be odd for Albert not to remember his last name if it was the same as two other people he just mentioned!

Some more timeline retconning, with Will’s assault of Ben apparently moved to the night following the bank explosion, rather than before.

The bank explosion curiously has three fatalities and only one survivor, leaving the poor dozing New Accounts woman and the guard (“It’s a boy!”) in limbo.

I’m leery of there being a chapter on Audrey. I don’t want any concrete answers on whether or not she ever came out of the coma, but it seems unavoidable that Tammy will address it.
N. Needleman
Lodge Member

Post by N. Needleman »

Sad about
Spoiler:
Eileen and Will. But realistic, perhaps.
AnotherBlueRoseCase wrote:The Return is clearly guaranteed a future audience among stoners and other drug users.
Mr. Reindeer
Lodge Member

Post by Mr. Reindeer »

Spoiler:
As I’ve said before, “How’s Annie?” is a non-cliffhanger to me. I really couldn’t care less. However, I’m excited to read about her background/upbringing in light of the retcons in TSHoTP. Does Mark even remember that she’s Norma’s sister?