'Twin Peaks: The Final Dossier' Novel by Mark Frost 10/31 (SPOILERS)

Moderators: Brad D, Annie, Jonah, BookhouseBoyBob, Ross, Jerry Horne

krishnanspace
Bookhouse Member

Re: 'Twin Peaks: The Final Dossier' Novel by Mark Frost 10/31

Post by krishnanspace »

I read more pages from the book not available on itunes.If anyone wants to know just pm me
Rik Renault
Roadhouse Member

Final Dossier Spoilers

Post by Rik Renault »

Not sure if anyone is a member of the Twin Peaks:DiaLOG group on Facebook but a fellow member called Pietro Cascia appears to have had an advance copy of TFD and read it and is dispensing huge spoilers on the following thread:
https://www.facebook.com/groups/309331072838846/

He seems to be very good with hiding big spoilers below tags and will only spoil as much as requested, so if you just want to know minor things and not have huge elements spoiled it is quite good for that, but be very careful.

Warning: There is about 10x more closure on hot season 3 topics than I ever would have expected.
Rik Renault
Roadhouse Member

Re: Final Dossier Spoilers

Post by Rik Renault »

In case anyone isn't a member, I'll put some of his answers below. Naturally HUGE SPOILERS to follow:

Q: How long is it?
Did you liked it?
Any info on Judy, the girl from the 50s and Cooper and Diane's final plan?
Spoiler:
In the order:
168 pages (slimmer than TSHOTP)
Yes, a lot
Plenty, yes (her identity is revealed), not quite

Q: Who is the girl?
Sarah Judith Novak Palmer
Q: Who is Judy and what happened to Audrey
Spoiler:
Audrey is dispatched quite early in the book (chapter 3 or 4 out of 18). She snapped out of the coma three weeks after it begun, to find out that her father sold the Ghostwood anyway and that she was pregnant. Far from despairing, she cut all ties with her father and dedicated herself to raise a child as a single mother. She moved out of the Horne household and rented a small apartment, got her GED on her own and attended economy classes in college. She eventually opened up a hair saloon (Audrey Horne = Peggy Blumquist confirmed), and she lead a very private life raising the child with little helps from her mother. She eventually married her accountant on the kid's 10th birthday in a private civil ceremony defined by close sources as a marriage of financial interests. The couple went through a steep downwards slope, with reported public scenes and infidelity cases on the wife's side; they went through couple counselling sessions, and Audrey in particular consulted her own mental health care practitioner. Then in 2013 (if the chronology is right) she closed down the saloon and retired from public life, in what could be either strong agoraphobia or -rumors suggest- a private care facility. Although the Horne spokeperson refused to comment, Ben himself told Tammy in a rare private interview that the thing he regrets the most is selling the Ghostwood forest territory, presumably (although not admittedly) because it caused the destruction of his family. And that is the last we hear of Audrey Horne in all of Twin Peaks related media. RIP coma theory

Apparently, next to the phone in Jeffries' Buenos Aires room, the word Joudy was carved in the wall with what appears to be a pocket knife. From there the research goes to Sumerian mythology: Joudy was a species of wandering demons (utukku) escaped from the underworld, who nutrished on human flesh and ripped their victims' souls, thriving on human suffering in the specific. Joudy are the female ones, Ba'al (subsequently Beelzebub) the male ones, and if a male and a female utakku ever united on the earth the results would create something extremely powerful and earth-ending
Q: What does the book say about Gordon? And what is the nature of Judy?
Spoiler:
Gordon does remember what happened to the Great Northern in Part 17 (which apparently unfolded exactly as it played off on screen), but was left alone in the boiler room in the aftermath. He seems to be well. He seems to be doing fine, as he is the target of the dossier after all
Q:Any discussion regarding the woodsmen or the vortices?
Spoiler:
The hotel was built by Horace "The Dutchman" Vandersant in the '30s in a space (now empty) between Twin Peaks and Missouri. The hotel allegedly had ties with criminal organizations (John Dillinger was said to be there at some point), and it was demolished in 1967, 5 years after its owner's demise
Q: is there anything in the book which might question its own credibility or would you say it is to be seen as canon on balance?

Also, any mention of Red?
Spoiler:
No, actually I think that the book does a great job reconnecting some inconsistencies of TSHOTP to the main narrative of the series. I would say it's pretty, canon, but, uh, by the end of the book it's unclear if the canon of the first two seasons as we know them is even in place, so...

As for Red, no mention, sry.
Pinky
RR Diner Member

Post by Pinky »

There's a lot there that would have been useful for any continuation, so if Frost's tying everything up like this, it looks like it's done.
Thanks so much, the spoilers have made me want to read the book all the more!
Kilmoore
RR Diner Member

Post by Kilmoore »

Pinky wrote:There's a lot there that would have been useful for any continuation, so if Frost's tying everything up like this, it looks like it's done.
Then again they could have put it in S3 but chose to go completely elsewhere instead, so it doesn't really rule anything out.
Mr. Reindeer
Lodge Member

Post by Mr. Reindeer »

Hester Prynne wrote:
Spoiler:
I loved TR and am excited about the FD, but they saved all of this for a book and not the show :?:. Not trying to be a hater before the book comes out in its entirety, but I'm scratching my head on that one.
Spoiler:
I don’t think there’s any “they” to it. This is stuff that MARK was interested in exploring/clearing up that didn’t fit into his and David’s SHARED vision of S3, which was obviously not super interested in playing catch-up with the original characters at length. I don’t think there was ever a conscious choice to “save” anything for the book. If it wern’t for the book, we wouldn’t be getting this material at all.
laughingpinecone
Great Northern Member

Post by laughingpinecone »

Mr. Reindeer wrote:
Hester Prynne wrote:
Spoiler:
I loved TR and am excited about the FD, but they saved all of this for a book and not the show :?:. Not trying to be a hater before the book comes out in its entirety, but I'm scratching my head on that one.
Spoiler:
I don’t think there’s any “they” to it. This is stuff that MARK was interested in exploring/clearing up that didn’t fit into his and David’s SHARED vision of S3, which was obviously not super interested in playing catch-up with the original characters at length. I don’t think there was ever a conscious choice to “save” anything for the book. If it wern’t for the book, we wouldn’t be getting this material at all.
Or, in part, stuff they discussed but not in a way that was ever meant to end up in a scene. Character building necessary to get into the mindset to write the actual scenes. Lynch has often said he likes to imagine what his characters are up to, Frost likes to go the extra mile and tell us stuff like the characters' favourite books... imho it's not farfetched to think that they talked about, for example, Bobby's developments throughout these 25 years, or James', or Gersten's. But I agree that they weren't ever interested in putting this background information in the show.
] The gathered are known by their faces of stone.
Mr. Reindeer
Lodge Member

Post by Mr. Reindeer »

laughingpinecone wrote:Or, in part, stuff they discussed but not in a way that was ever meant to end up in a scene. Character building necessary to get into the mindset to write the actual scenes. Lynch has often said he likes to imagine what his characters are up to, Frost likes to go the extra mile and tell us stuff like the characters' favourite books... imho it's not farfetched to think that they talked about, for example, Bobby's developments throughout these 25 years, or James', or Gersten's. But I agree that they weren't ever interested in putting this background information in the show.
I agree with all of this. I think some probably came from discussions with Lynch during scripting and some was Mark filling in gaps after the fact, and we’ll never know what material falls into what category.
Spoiler:
If it’s true that LFB was approached (which Sabrina seemed to confirm), the Donna chapter might be an adaptation of actual unused script!
krishnanspace
Bookhouse Member

Post by krishnanspace »

Also it seems That Harry Truman is suffering from Cancer.Mr.C killed Briggs and Ruth Davenport and he is the owner of The Glass Box in New York
Mr. Reindeer
Lodge Member

Post by Mr. Reindeer »

krishnanspace wrote:Also it seems That Harry Truman is suffering from Cancer.Mr.C killed Briggs and Ruth Davenport and he is the owner of The Glass Box in New York
None of this is particularly shocking, but use spoiler tags!
N. Needleman
Lodge Member

Post by N. Needleman »

Please post/PM more if you can for those of us who don't FB. Thanks.
AnotherBlueRoseCase wrote:The Return is clearly guaranteed a future audience among stoners and other drug users.
krishnanspace
Bookhouse Member

Post by krishnanspace »

One thing I dont get is that even though this takes places after Season 3,it still mentions that Laura is dead and Leland killed her.Wonder if Cooper did save her or not :?:
N. Needleman
Lodge Member

Post by N. Needleman »

Cooper didn't save her in our universe.
AnotherBlueRoseCase wrote:The Return is clearly guaranteed a future audience among stoners and other drug users.
Rik Renault
Roadhouse Member

Post by Rik Renault »

More updates HUGE SPOILERS again

Q: Anything about Shelly’s daughter?
Spoiler:
It's written that an intervention from her parents saved her from any lasting legal persecution, that Steven is wanted in connection to an international drug trafficking ring (which included Chad Broxford and Richard Horne, and it's implied to be Dopplecoop's). It's also written that both Steven and Gersten are listed as MIA, whereabouts unknown as of the writing of the book. So, it's heavily implied that she lived and I personally doubt that she perished, but ah, the scenes of Part 15 may as well happen after everything else, even after the compilation of the dossier, so I'm not sure
Q: I'd heard that the book announced a character dead. Can you confirm?
Spoiler:
Q (continued)Person in question is Leo Johnson.
A: Yes, it's one of the first things in the dossier.
shot. Apparently by local law enforcement.
Q:Anything about Janey-E and Diane? Or Janey-E and Sonny Jim?
Spoiler:
Nope
Q:More info on what evil Coop was doing all those years? His connections to people like Otis? His powers with electronics? The warden and Mr. Strawberry?
Spoiler:
Apparently Mr. C built a grand empire spanning across continents and dabbling in basically every known criminal activity save for politics (but even then, they have proof of politicians being bribed and the empire was so massive it probably will take years for the investigation to unravel). An organization like that made billions every day for the top dog, and it's implied that he had men all over the North and South American territiories plus some key European countries; Otis is but one of these men, and nothing is said about him in the book. As for Warden Murphy, it's curious as nothing is said about Mr. Strawberry, but the Warden himself appears in the Horne chapter: prior to working in South Dakota he was the Warden of the infamously horrid Ghostwood Correctional Facility, built in place of the Forest.
Q:Any info on who were the kids that died in Ep. 1, who was the millionare, what was the purpose of the glass box?
Spoiler:
No, not much except that Dopplecoop was involved (and possibly the millionaire). The glass box seemed to be a trap for Judy according to Albert and Gordon's investigations
Q: Is there anything at all, even hints, about what happened in episode 18? I’m ok with any spoilers. Thanks!
Spoiler:
Eh, if you're looking for light to be shed over its events, then not quite. But there are explanations as to how it connects to Part 17, and what happened exactly when Coop fucked around with time

BIG SPOILER
Laura seem to have disappeared from Twin Peaks instead of being killed. Coop still came to investigate her disappearance, and everything we saw in Twin Peaks happened regardless. With some exceptions: Leland, since he did not kill anybody(!!!) commited suicide in his car and life still went on the way it would (Dale in the Lodge, the doppelgange out etc.) up until we saw it in TPS3. Then, after the events of Part 17, Cooper and Diane are both listed as disapeared. Curiously, Tammy and (allegedly) Gordon still remember the "official" version (Laura is dead etc.), but at least Tammy's memory on the events starts to fade by the end of the book.
All credit to Pietro for his speedy reading and for taking the time to respond to basically every rabid fan (myself included) asking him questions.
EddyEdson

Post by EddyEdson »

bowisneski wrote:I created an imgur album for those that might not be able to access the preview otherwise.
I wonder if Tammy learned her turgid, redundant and stilted writing style at grad school, or is it an FBI thing?