Page 38 of 40

Re: 'Twin Peaks: The Final Dossier' Novel by Mark Frost 10/31 (SPOILERS)

Posted: Wed Nov 08, 2017 12:41 am
by Agent Earle
Oh, and it's nice to see Scott Frost's most excellent book My Life, My Tapes finally get some recognition and credit, and from one of the original creators, no less.

Re: 'Twin Peaks: The Final Dossier' Novel by Mark Frost 10/31 (SPOILERS)

Posted: Wed Nov 08, 2017 4:34 am
by Mr. Reindeer
Agent Earle wrote:Well now, in this latest interview Jerry just posted a link to, Frost puts paid to all the rumors about Lynch not being present during the filming of S 2 'cause he was "off filming Wild at Heart" so that's why the show went to shit. Frost actually says Lynch was off during much of S 1 filming, so there ya have it. I wonder if now we'll finally see this information reflect in the writings/speakings about the show which have been misleading people all these years, even though it wasn't that hard to do the (chronological) math and see it was just bullshit (Lynch couldn't very well be off filming Wild at Heart during S 2, since that movie debuted a few months before S 2 even started to run) - I'm guessing the urban legends will continue, since, ya know, it's just something that "the other guy" says...


All of this has been common knowledge for a long time, and I think most quality journalism about the show has reflected it, despite DKL and a few others sticking to “the official version.”

We do, however, get confirmation that the final scene was scripted by L/F. I recall a few weeks ago several posters were speculating that DKL had gone maverick with Part 18 a la Part 29, so I’m glad Mark has quashed that line of thought.

Re: 'Twin Peaks: The Final Dossier' Novel by Mark Frost 10/31 (SPOILERS)

Posted: Wed Nov 08, 2017 6:19 am
by Agent Earle
Mr. Reindeer wrote:
Agent Earle wrote:Well now, in this latest interview Jerry just posted a link to, Frost puts paid to all the rumors about Lynch not being present during the filming of S 2 'cause he was "off filming Wild at Heart" so that's why the show went to shit. Frost actually says Lynch was off during much of S 1 filming, so there ya have it. I wonder if now we'll finally see this information reflect in the writings/speakings about the show which have been misleading people all these years, even though it wasn't that hard to do the (chronological) math and see it was just bullshit (Lynch couldn't very well be off filming Wild at Heart during S 2, since that movie debuted a few months before S 2 even started to run) - I'm guessing the urban legends will continue, since, ya know, it's just something that "the other guy" says...


All of this has been common knowledge for a long time, and I think most quality journalism about the show has reflected it, despite DKL and a few others sticking to “the official version.”



Since we have no way of knowing what has and what hasn't been common knowledge, I'd like to abstain from speculation; some hardcore fans are aware of the fact, that much I can safely say, but that's about all. As for the truth of which Frost speaks (and I'd like to strongly stress his specific mention of Lynch's uninvolvement in S 1, which is, according to general wisdom, the series' creative peak!) being reflected in journalism, I disagree - I have a hard time recalling even a single article about the show that sheds light on this "Lynch being away" business; I do, however, recall a number of articles - from around the time of the revival announcement up till the premiere of the new show - repeating the same old "S 2 was Lnych-less because of Wild at Heart" schtik without a second thought. I'd imagine the new, let's call it hipster audience is spreading "the official version", as you put it, even as we speak (it probably fits in their neat little picture about the genius of DKL being the sole responsible for the series' greatness, so whenever he wasn't around, things were, naturally, shitty). I don't remember hearing Lynch adhering to the official version, though; I know he trashed S 2 mercilessly before the premiere of S 3, of course, but at least he didn't blame it on his own filming of Wild at Heart-imposed absence.

Re: 'Twin Peaks: The Final Dossier' Novel by Mark Frost 10/31 (SPOILERS)

Posted: Wed Nov 08, 2017 6:25 am
by Mr. Reindeer
Agent Earle wrote:Since we have no way of knowing what has and what hasn't been common knowledge, I'd like to abstain from speculation; some hardcore fans are aware of the fact, that much I can safely say, but that's about all. As for the truth of which Frost speaks being reflected in journalism, I disagree - I have a hard time recalling even a single article about the show that sheds light on this "Lynch being away" business; I do, however, recall a number of articles - from around the time of the revival announcement up till the premiere of the new show - repeating the same old "S 2 was Lnych-less because of Wild at Heart" schtik without a second thought. I'd imagine the new, let's call it hipster audience is spreading "the official version", as you put it, even as we speak (it probably fits in their neat little picture about the genius of DKL being the sole responsible for the series' greatness, so whenever he wasn't around, things were, naturally, shitty). I don't remember hearing Lynch adhering to the official version, though; I know he trashed S 2 mercilessly before the premiere of S 3, of course, but at least he didn't blame it on his own filming of Wild at Heart-imposed absence.


Well, I did say most quality journalism. In my personal estimation, that’s a pretty narrow category. ;)

I’ve definitely read/heard DKL telling “the official version” at least once. I can’t remember if it was in the Rodley book or the Slice of Lynch documentary, but I believe it was one of those sources.

Re: 'Twin Peaks: The Final Dossier' Novel by Mark Frost 10/31 (SPOILERS)

Posted: Wed Nov 08, 2017 6:31 am
by Agent Earle
Mr. Reindeer wrote:
Agent Earle wrote:Since we have no way of knowing what has and what hasn't been common knowledge, I'd like to abstain from speculation; some hardcore fans are aware of the fact, that much I can safely say, but that's about all. As for the truth of which Frost speaks being reflected in journalism, I disagree - I have a hard time recalling even a single article about the show that sheds light on this "Lynch being away" business; I do, however, recall a number of articles - from around the time of the revival announcement up till the premiere of the new show - repeating the same old "S 2 was Lnych-less because of Wild at Heart" schtik without a second thought. I'd imagine the new, let's call it hipster audience is spreading "the official version", as you put it, even as we speak (it probably fits in their neat little picture about the genius of DKL being the sole responsible for the series' greatness, so whenever he wasn't around, things were, naturally, shitty). I don't remember hearing Lynch adhering to the official version, though; I know he trashed S 2 mercilessly before the premiere of S 3, of course, but at least he didn't blame it on his own filming of Wild at Heart-imposed absence.


Well, I did say most quality journalism. In my personal estimation, that’s a pretty narrow category. ;)

I’ve definitely read/heard DKL telling “the official version” at least once. I can’t remember if it was in the Rodley book or the Slice of Lynch documentary, but I believe it was one of those sources.


OK, I admit I did overlook that one crucial adjective - maybe it's my bad luck that I only stumbled upon the inferior kind of journalistic products, then.
I'll take your word for Lynch's statements about the time of his absence; it certainly connects with his general opinion of S 2.

Re: 'Twin Peaks: The Final Dossier' Novel by Mark Frost 10/31 (SPOILERS)

Posted: Wed Nov 08, 2017 7:55 am
by Audrey Horne
but Lynch and Frost did plot out the structure of the first season narrative together post Pilot getting picked up. And did select the directors together. And the directors were working off of the Pilot for tone and style. And both Lynch and Frost brought in Engels and Peyton (who i believe provided the most strength in the snappiness of their dialogue.) Don't know if this is known or not, but Lynch's Episode Two was mostly shot after the majority of the first season was filmed.

Re: 'Twin Peaks: The Final Dossier' Novel by Mark Frost 10/31 (SPOILERS)

Posted: Wed Nov 08, 2017 8:12 am
by Agent Earle
OK... So what went wrong during S 2 then, since their collaboration has proven to be such a success the first time around? Why not simply stick to the winning formula? What on Earth was stopping them/throwing obstacles their way so that S 2 veered so far off the successful path (I personally don't think it has, not in the creative/artistic sense, anyway, but such is the general consensus)???
Sorry (to all) that I'm pestering you with all these questions so many years later (and I realize you don't have conclusive answers, so take it just as me thinking out loud), long since it stopped mattering and it's been water under the bridge for decades, but this has been lodged in my mind and it won't let go whenever the topic of TP comes up: what was the reason S 2 went into such a creative chaos? I don't think this question has ever been properly addressed by those in the know; all we've been hearing is a bunch of random, often conflicting bits of information here and there, from time to time... What I wouldn't give to once hear the pair of main creators publicly discuss this topic!

Re: 'Twin Peaks: The Final Dossier' Novel by Mark Frost 10/31 (SPOILERS)

Posted: Wed Nov 08, 2017 9:33 am
by sneakydave


Frost sounds VERY tetchy during this interview. The words of a man bored of getting asked the same things.

Re: 'Twin Peaks: The Final Dossier' Novel by Mark Frost 10/31 (SPOILERS)

Posted: Wed Nov 08, 2017 9:59 am
by N. Needleman
He's a lot happier in the new Salon interview.

Re: 'Twin Peaks: The Final Dossier' Novel by Mark Frost 10/31 (SPOILERS)

Posted: Wed Nov 08, 2017 10:12 am
by Jerry Horne
Lynch wasn't shooting WAH during S2, but he was off doing other things whilst not directing episodes or being Cole. Same with Mark (I think he directed a movie during S2) Mark has been more forthcoming in recent years about taking responsibility for his absence. He should have known too. He is a veteran of television. TV is grueling, and if you're not there for large chunks of the time, things start to drift off course. S2 starts strong but we all see where the wheels fell off. They got a new lease of life when the last six episodes were barely granted, but by then it was too late.

Yes, the confusion about the dates stem from the Lynch on Lynch book.

Re: 'Twin Peaks: The Final Dossier' Novel by Mark Frost 10/31 (SPOILERS)

Posted: Wed Nov 08, 2017 11:44 am
by Mr. Reindeer
DKL did have a Tokyo art show during part of the production of S2, so that explains part of his absence.

Re: 'Twin Peaks: The Final Dossier' Novel by Mark Frost 10/31 (SPOILERS)

Posted: Wed Nov 08, 2017 11:46 am
by bowisneski
Frost answered the question about Shelly and Bobby over on his Reddit AMA
They raised Rebecca together but slowly grew apart, as young couples often do. Amicable divorce, shared custody. Shelly's weakness for "bad boys" never went away, but infidelity was not the root cause for their breakup. Warrants have been issued, but Red, as of this writing, is still on the loose.


The fate of Dick Tremayne
Dick Tremayne is selling real estate in Bellingham. He once tried to get in touch with Wally Brando. Wally ignored him.


Cyril Pons
Cyril's thriving career as a local reporter in the Spokane media market let to a brief stint as anchorman, tragically derailed when he used the F word during an on-air earthquake and dove under his desk. Downhill from there, as if he riding a luge, all the way to the Fat Trout Trailer Park.


Mike and Bobby
Bobby and Mike are in a bowling league together.


Odds and Ends
Candie is certainly still in Las Vegas. Maddy is almost certainly still alive. "Jade" - not her real name - was absolutely a big fan of Invitation to Love, which is still on the air.

Re: 'Twin Peaks: The Final Dossier' Novel by Mark Frost 10/31 (SPOILERS)

Posted: Wed Nov 08, 2017 12:00 pm
by Poltergeist27
He is giving us some great answers:

1) It's definitely "Jow-day", not "Joudy" from the book.

2) The discrepancy in Annie birth date / journey to Twin Peaks is chalked up to Tammy's inconsistent detective work (hah :P)

3) MADDIE DID NOT DIE in the new timeline.

4) Leo and Jacques brought Ronette to the train car because they were always stupid and impulsive (LOL)

Re: 'Twin Peaks: The Final Dossier' Novel by Mark Frost 10/31 (SPOILERS)

Posted: Wed Nov 08, 2017 1:27 pm
by Mr. Reindeer
He says a question “might be on the right track” in saying that the captive “grey” Nixon shows Jackie Gleason may have a relation to the Experiment. Did Jow-day do time at Homestead AFB?!

Re: 'Twin Peaks: The Final Dossier' Novel by Mark Frost 10/31 (SPOILERS)

Posted: Wed Nov 08, 2017 4:13 pm
by vicksvapor77
I asked about Bobby and Shelly! I was so thrilled he answered me. I basically called him out for what I assume is a copyediting error in the book where Tammy says "she'll get back to them" and never does (outside of being referenced in the Becky story) and he didn't address if it was an error or not LOL.

My question now is, how much of that was thought out/decided before he did the AMA? And that goes for all of the responses he provided. Do you guys think he was just making this shit up as he sat there or are these the thoughts that he's had in his head about these issues for a long time?