Let's talk changes: how would you change FWWM?

General discussion on Twin Peaks not related to the series, film, books, music, photos, or collectors merchandise.

Moderators: Brad D, Annie, Jonah, BookhouseBoyBob, Ross, Jerry Horne

Ross
Global Moderator

Post by Ross »

underthefan wrote:As far as I'm concerned, there is not one note that rings false in Sheryl Lee's performance. Lynch and Lee must have done a lot of research into the behavior of victims of child abuse and all of if makes perfect psychological sense.
I agree. Sheryl was amazing in the film. She embodied everything Laura was supposed to be. I'm always amazed when I hear people who were annoyed by her. I found her haunting, and tragic. Just as she was meant to be.
"I can see half my life's history in your face... And I'm not sure that I want to."
http://twinpeakssoundtrackdesign.blogspot.com/
Ross
Global Moderator

Post by Ross »

I would have much rather had Lara Flyn Boyle in FWWM- having a different actress has always been annoying. (I know they had no control over this as Lara was a big ole' B. who refused to do the movie). Moira did a good job of playing a more innocent Donna, but she just wasn't Donna. And I could believe Lara's Donna as Laura's friend much more than Moira's.

I also found the cosmetic things that differed from the series distracting at first. (Laura's wig, Norma's short hair, the radically different Palmer house, the summer exteriors, etc.) I also think it would have been interesting to have seen some sessions with Dr. Jacoby.

Its still my fave favorite movie regardless.
"I can see half my life's history in your face... And I'm not sure that I want to."
TheArm
Great Northern Member

Post by TheArm »

Yes, Ross, thank you for bringing up Norma's hair! If anyone needed a big blonde wig in this movie, it was Peggy Lipton. That was so glaringly inconsistent, it made no sense to me.

Moira Kelly is the big problem for me. While I do think she does a fine job for the most part, I always find it jarring when she first appears and for her first few scenes. She's just not Donna to me, and this takes me out of the movie. She is a good actress though, it's just lame that LFB didn't want to do the movie. Because I guess she was far too busy doing high caliber work in "Threesome" and "The Temp." But I know this was out of everyone's control.

And the wig doesn't really bother me as much as it does everyone else. I remember being in middle school in the early '90s, and I knew plenty of girls with hair like that; it was just the time. It's just annoying that it's inconsistent with what we see on the show, like in the picnic video and James' flashback, but there are so many hair inconsistencies in TP that I just look past it.
"Fire...walk...with...me...MEEE!!!"
Ross
Global Moderator

Post by Ross »

TheArm wrote:Yes, Ross, thank you for bringing up Norma's hair! If anyone needed a big blonde wig in this movie, it was Peggy Lipton. That was so glaringly inconsistent, it made no sense to me.
Right! I mean how easy would it have been to throw a wig or hairpiece on her!? I guess on the small screen (as opposed to when I saw it in theaters), its not too noticeable since its only one scene, and its not a close up.
Ross
Global Moderator

Post by Ross »

TheArm wrote:it's just lame that LFB didn't want to do the movie. Because I guess she was far too busy doing high caliber work in "Threesome" and "The Temp."
The sad thing is, she probably thinks of those films in higher regard than she does TP.
underthefan
Great Northern Member

Post by underthefan »

I may be in minority here, but I really love Moira Kelly as Donna. First off, she's a much better actress than Lara. MUCH. I also think she fits Donna's character better (especially if you read how Donna is portrayed in Laura's Secret Diary) - at least, pre-Laura's death. And also, I don't mean to be mean, but LFB is pretty slutty, so I can't really see her being so out of her character in the Roadhouse and Partyland scenes like Moira was, which I think was perfect for the character.

I believe it's only a matter of habit. We were all used to LFB from the series, and it's hard to get used to any kind of change. But I'm telling you, if Moira was in the series originally, you would never even consider Lara for the part. :)
Ross
Global Moderator

Post by Ross »

underthefan wrote:I may be in minority here, but I really love Moira Kelly as Donna. First off, she's a much better actress than Lara. MUCH. I also think she fits Donna's character better (especially if you read how Donna is portrayed in Laura's Secret Diary) - at least, pre-Laura's death. And also, I don't mean to be mean, but LFB is pretty slutty, so I can't really see her being so out of her character in the Roadhouse and Partyland scenes like Moira was, which I think was perfect for the character.

I believe it's only a matter of habit. We were all used to LFB from the series, and it's hard to get used to any kind of change. But I'm telling you, if Moira was in the series originally, you would never even consider Lara for the part. :)

I actually like Lara a lot in the series. Some of her scenes are really memorable- and I love her voice. But the main reason I like her better is that I can believe her as Laura's best friend. She just seems "cooler" or more popular- someone who would actually be the the best friend of the homecoming queen.
underthefan
Great Northern Member

Post by underthefan »

I understand what you mean, Ross, and you do have a point there. But then again, remember that Laura and Donna were childhood friends, much before Laura became the homecoming queen. In any case, I still prefer Moira Kelly and wish she were in the series. :)
coolspringsj
RR Diner Member
Location: RR Diner drinking coffee blacker than midnight on a moonless night

Re: Let's talk changes: how would you change FWWM?

Post by coolspringsj »

Have LFB instead of Moira Kelly just for continuity purposes.

Also maybe an extended ending scene from post TP series even if it didn't resolve anything. (the nurse getting Annie's ring, etc.)

Longer Deer Meadow sequence

more fleshed out Philip Jefferies character and scenes
Welcome to amateur hour. Looks like an all-nighter, boys.
Jerry Horne
Global Moderator

Post by Jerry Horne »

It's interesting. The last time I watched the series, i really liked Lara Flynn Boyle's performance more then ever. The scene at Laura's grave and all the Harold scenes were really solid.

There are so many story pieces and character puzzle pieces to to look back on and try and rearrange, I mean one could change a bunch of things. What I really wanted to see was the story keeping closer to events in the diary.
RARE TWIN PEAKS COLLECTIBLES AT ---> WWW.TWINPEAKSGENERALSTORE.BLOGSPOT.COM
charles
RR Diner Member

Post by charles »

Jerry Horne wrote:What I really wanted to see was the story keeping closer to events in the diary.
YES. YES. YES. Where were the woods in the film? They played such an essential role in the series and in the diary, yet they were wholly missing in the film -as a character, anyway.
P.S. I love Donna Hayward as played by Lara Flynn Boyle. Moira Kelly is a hairy ape woman. There, I said it.
...now I feel bad.
Jerry Horne
Global Moderator

Post by Jerry Horne »

charles wrote:Moira Kelly is a hairy ape woman. There, I said it.

:lol:
RARE TWIN PEAKS COLLECTIBLES AT ---> WWW.TWINPEAKSGENERALSTORE.BLOGSPOT.COM
charles
RR Diner Member

Post by charles »

Thanks Jerry. I thought I was going to get my ass kicked for that one.
Evenreven
Great Northern Member

Post by Evenreven »

It's too strange to kick anyone's ass over. I feel more like giving you a hug and then try to convince you that you'll feel better tomorrow. :)
"Who's the towhead? Those drugs are LEGAL!"
charles
RR Diner Member

Post by charles »

Evenreven wrote:It's too strange to kick anyone's ass over. I feel more like giving you a hug and then try to convince you that you'll feel better tomorrow. :)
Aw. ...sigh. Thanks.