Has anyone compared iTunes HD season 1 to gold box set

General discussion on Twin Peaks not related to the series, film, books, music, photos, or collectors merchandise.

Moderators: Brad D, Annie, Jonah, BookhouseBoyBob, Ross, Jerry Horne

Gabriel
Great Northern Member

Re: Has anyone compared iTunes HD season 1 to gold box set

Post by Gabriel »

It might still be an SD up convert. It's all down to the method of compression. Newer codecs can give better results than the older MPEG2 format used on DVD. Up-rezzed, even standard def TV shows have vastly better detail than the DVD version.

In order to fit on a DVD, the image has to undergo considerable DNR (Digital Noise Reduction) which removes a lot of film grain (and therefore picture texture and information) that would still be on a broadcast standard video tape. Then, to deal with the loss of picture information, edge enhancement has to be applied, which is why some older shows look the the actors have a thin black line drawn around them!

Given TP was remastered in HD, hopefully with Blu-ray release in mind, I would hope these new masters weren't created with the SD enhancements inherent (see the farce of the first Gladiator Blu-ray) and that they're ready for a proper 1080p release.

So, my suspicion is that these are SD up converts, but, as such, they'll still be streets ahead of the DVDs!
qbin2001
Great Northern Member

Post by qbin2001 »

Gabriel wrote:It might still be an SD up convert.
I don't think so.
Gabriel wrote:I would hope these new masters weren't created with the SD enhancements inherent
Don't count on it. ONLY all FX scenes are in not so good quality, the rest is in much [and I mean "much"] better quality then DVD's.

PS: Another one scene: BOB with owl on his face is not so good quality.
guildnavigator
RR Diner Member

Post by guildnavigator »

yeah, it looks like a few composite-type shots in the series stand out as quite "analog" looking, if you will. overall, the HD files look great.
pelley

Post by pelley »

I did a screen cap to compare with the Gold Box. You can grab them here:

Gold Box:
http://www.chrisandkori.us/_filelib/Ima ... t1-cbs.jpg

iTunes:
http://www.chrisandkori.us/_filelib/Ima ... itunes.jpg

My verdict: True HD, not upscaling.

Chris
jlyon1515
RR Diner Member

Post by jlyon1515 »

Gabriel wrote:So, my suspicion is that these are SD up converts, but, as such, they'll still be streets ahead of the DVDs!
They definitely aren't converted from SD source. Not a doubt in my mind.
GeekBoyEric74
RR Diner Member

Post by GeekBoyEric74 »

This really needs to come out on Blu Ray now....sadly, Paramount is possibly the worst studio when it comes to releasing older catalogue properties onto Blu Ray. And I don't think they have released any tv product other than Star Trek onto Blu. Hopefully, due to the fact that there are apparently already high def transfers of Peaks done, they will release them sooner rather than later. And hopefully with some new special features thrown in.