BOB's weapon *spoilers*

General discussion on Twin Peaks not related to the series, film, books, music, photos, or collectors merchandise.

Moderators: Brad D, Annie, Jonah, BookhouseBoyBob, Ross, Jerry Horne

Agent Sam Stanley
Bookhouse Member

BOB's weapon *spoilers*

Post by Agent Sam Stanley »

What kind of weapon BOB used to kill Laura?
In FWWM, Leland seems to rise up a small knife when he's about to kill her, but in the show, Cooper and Truman found a bloody hammer in the train car.

Also, Doc Hayward said that what killed Laura was loss of blood, he didn't mentioned stab wounds or being "beat up with a hammer", which I think would cause a lot of damage to Laura's face/head. Her body seemed clean, like if she was strangled or drowned.

Any thoughts?
bosguy1981
Great Northern Member

Re: BOB's weapon *spoilers*

Post by bosguy1981 »

Agent Sam Stanley wrote:What kind of weapon BOB used to kill Laura?
In FWWM, Leland seems to rise up a small knife when he's about to kill her, but in the show, Cooper and Truman found a bloody hammer in the train car.

Also, Doc Hayward said that what killed Laura was loss of blood, he didn't mentioned stab wounds or being "beat up with a hammer", which I think would cause a lot of damage to Laura's face/head. Her body seemed clean, like if she was strangled or drowned.

Any thoughts?
I always figured Leland used the hammer to hit Ronette in the head before he drops her out of the traincar. If I remember it correctly, the camera shows him from behind and you can't really tell if he's just hitting her with his fists or using a weapon. And don't they show a close-up of the hammer in FWWM after Ronette gets tossed out of the traincar? Or am I imagining that? Maybe someone else can confirm.
Agent Sam Stanley
Bookhouse Member

That makes sense, as I recall it, in episode 8, when they're doing a recollection of Laura's murder, Cooper says "Using a blunt object the killer struck Ronette..." and we see the bloody hammer in the background.

I don't remember seeing the hammer anywhere in FWWM. The only weapon that I can see is a small knife.
But it's still weird that Doc Hayward didn't mention that Laura died from stab wounds.
BOB1
RR Diner Member

Post by BOB1 »

I never noticed any knife :shock:

By the way - BOB's weapon was fear, wasn't it? The question is rather about Leland's weapon :wink:

I always thought he was using some rather large blunt object that he hit Laura with lots of time, hence the loss of blood. That's also what I remember from FWWM, although I've got to admit I don't have an eye for such details and often see things which aren't there :wink: But also, he didn't use any actual weapon to kill Maddy... OK, the final strike (Missoula Montanaaaaaa) was probably the terminal one but it looked like he didn't need much to complete his work.

From what we see - Teresa, Laura, Maddy - Leland's M.O. was hitting rather than stabbing. Then on the other hand... I have this thing for knives... hmmm.
Bobi 1 Kenobi

B. Beware
O. Of
B. BOB
Agent Sam Stanley
Bookhouse Member

I looked and I looked and couldn't find a specific screen cap of what I believed to be a small knife in FWWM.
Anyway, you can see it right after Laura puts the ring on, Leland screams "DON'T MAKE ME DO THIS!" and then raises his hands holding something to start the killing. That always seemed to me like a small knife.
I might be mistaken, but I believe that in the shooting script it says "Leland raises knife" in that scene.
Fire
Roadhouse Member

Post by Fire »

I definitely remember it being a plunging motion, one that would be fitting for a knife
Ross
Global Moderator

Post by Ross »

Agent Sam Stanley wrote:That makes sense, as I recall it, in episode 8, when they're doing a recollection of Laura's murder, Cooper says "Using a blunt object the killer struck Ronette..." and we see the bloody hammer in the background.

I don't remember seeing the hammer anywhere in FWWM. The only weapon that I can see is a small knife.
But it's still weird that Doc Hayward didn't mention that Laura died from stab wounds.
You are correct, the hammer is shown in episode 8 when Cooper is going over all the evidence, but not in the series or FWWM murder scene.

In the murder scene in episode 8, even going frame by frame I can't see a knife, but the arm pumping shots are almost all blurred.

Leland definitely has a knife in FWWM though- due to the way its edited/shot its almost impossible to see, but its there.

"I can see half my life's history in your face... And I'm not sure that I want to."
http://twinpeakssoundtrackdesign.blogspot.com/
Agent Sam Stanley
Bookhouse Member

I knew there was a knife there.
I also tried to watch the murder scene in episode 8, frame by frame, but you can't see anything, the scene was made to be very quick.
Thank you very much for the caps Ross :)