unanswered questions / mistakes / etc.

General discussion on Twin Peaks not related to the series, film, books, music, photos, or collectors merchandise.

Moderators: Brad D, Annie, Jonah, BookhouseBoyBob, Ross, Jerry Horne

hopesfall
RR Diner Member

Re: unanswered questions / mistakes / etc.

Post by hopesfall »

TheArm wrote:And the one that really kills me, at Dead Dog Farm, Cooper pulls a gun on Jean Renault and shoots and kills him at point-blank range, when he could have just as easily apprehended him. If Renault had resisted arrest, then shooting him might have made sense, but he doesn't even try. This always struck me as *wildly* out of character for Coop.
This. A Hundred times this. It's totally out of character. I've always been bothered by this part too.
TheArm
Great Northern Member

Post by TheArm »

I also love, in episode 25, how the Sheriff's Dept. find this incredible, super important old lever thing in Owl Cave...and then I guess just go home, so that it's open and available for Windom Earle to walk right in and mess with it. They don't keep a guard there, they don't bring in a team or something to study it, etc. They just find it and leave and come back the next day (at which point, of course, Earle has already been and gone).

I guess these things are just indicative of the sloppiness that started to dominate in the middle of Season 2, which is not new news to any of us. A lot (but not all) of these bloopers and mistakes are definitely from the latter, more difficult part of the show.
"Fire...walk...with...me...MEEE!!!"
TheArm
Great Northern Member

Post by TheArm »

hopesfall wrote:
TheArm wrote:And the one that really kills me, at Dead Dog Farm, Cooper pulls a gun on Jean Renault and shoots and kills him at point-blank range, when he could have just as easily apprehended him. If Renault had resisted arrest, then shooting him might have made sense, but he doesn't even try. This always struck me as *wildly* out of character for Coop.
This. A Hundred times this. It's totally out of character. I've always been bothered by this part too.
But then again, I guess we're arguing about logic in a show where the criminal mastermind's plan is ultimately foiled because an obvious transvestite in a waitress uniform shows up to a tense hostage situation and just waltzes right in with a plate of food. ("Did you order food?" Mountie King asks. Like Jean Renault really would have put an order in for delivery in the middle of a police stand-off!!)

All this being said, I still love TP to pieces anyway! :)
TheArm
Great Northern Member

Post by TheArm »

I also felt all of the "disappears, reappears, disappears again, reappears again" stuff that was done in Season 2 with both Major Briggs and Josie was lazy. Briggs is abducted presumably to the White Lodge in ep 17, suddenly reappears at home in Ep 19, promptly gets taken away by the military in ep 20, escapes and reappears in either ep 21 or 22, and THEN gets kidnapped by Windom Earle in ep 27 and escapes in 28. Briggs had a rough ride of it in S2. Similarly, Josie has mysteriously vanished in ep 8, reappears in like ep 11, promptly gets dragged away by Jonathan/Mr. Lee in ep 13, and then escapes and shows up at Harry's cabin in ep 18 (and then of course disappears into a drawer pull for all eternity in 23).

And don't even get me started on "ASIAN MAN KILLED!!!" :lol:
Last edited by TheArm on Thu Mar 14, 2013 12:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
bosguy1981
Great Northern Member

Post by bosguy1981 »

TheArm wrote:And don't even get me started on "ASIAN MAN KILLED!!!" :lol:
OMG.

That kills me, each and every time. Especially the multiple exclamation points in the news article. Priceless.
Audrey Horne
Lodge Member

Post by Audrey Horne »

there are just too many for me to even begin with. I have no problem with editing continuity (like Albert and the sunglasses) because all shows and films are going to have that if you look closely enough.

But I think that first season is just about perfect, and they had the best playground to run around in and explore... and yet somehow they were able to constantly take the worst paths with every fork in the narrative road.
God, I love this music. Isn't it too dreamy?
TheArm
Great Northern Member

Post by TheArm »

Audrey Horne wrote:there are just too many for me to even begin with. I have no problem with editing continuity (like Albert and the sunglasses) because all shows and films are going to have that if you look closely enough.

But I think that first season is just about perfect, and they had the best playground to run around in and explore... and yet somehow they were able to constantly take the worst paths with every fork in the narrative road.
I really do love the whole damn series and the movie, Evelyn Marsh snaggletooth n' all. I guess that's when you really know it's love, right? When you are fully aware of all of its faults, flaws and problems but you still love it anyway! I was sitting there re-watching a lot of these very eps (eps 17-21) in the USC retrospective this past week thinking "this is all so, sooo dumb, but I just don't care!"
Audrey Horne
Lodge Member

Post by Audrey Horne »

that's good. For me, I'm still not there (one of these decades I'll get over it)

I think it still looks great, and the actors are all uniformly excellent but I'll try watching a mid to late season episode and still quickly cover my eyes like it's a car accident and turn it off screaming, "I can't watch this. I can't watch this." It's like the love of my life or child getting killed again and again.

(little extreme and dramatic, huh?)

*does anyone remember when the late episodes would air and they would cut the opening credits straight to the sign post?
God, I love this music. Isn't it too dreamy?
hopesfall
RR Diner Member

Post by hopesfall »

TheArm wrote:
hopesfall wrote:
But then again, I guess we're arguing about logic in a show where the criminal mastermind's plan is ultimately foiled because an obvious transvestite in a waitress uniform shows up to a tense hostage situation and just waltzes right in with a plate of food. ("Did you order food?" Mountie King asks. Like Jean Renault really would have put an order in for delivery in the middle of a police stand-off!!)

All this being said, I still love TP to pieces anyway! :)
Hahaha, that's true i suppose! And i do too! :D

SiderealPassing

Post by SiderealPassing »

Yeah, I can't help but look at the flaws as part of the overall magic. There are still plot points I wish were different and scenes that make me cringe but I still enjoy every second of the series.
TheArm
Great Northern Member

Post by TheArm »

Rewatching the late Season 2 episodes this past weekend at the USC event, I noticed a blooper in ep 26, in the dinner scene at the Haywards' house where Donna discusses the Miss Twin Peaks pageant with her parents (LFB's bitchy delivery of "I thought I'd use the scholarship money to study overseas" definitely got some snickers in the audience). But she is asked to pass the peas to her mother numerous times, including AFTER having already in fact passed them (and after Eileen has already helped herself to some).

Not only is Donna asked to pass the peas more times than is reasonable, but that huge dinner bowl is full of peas, more than 3 people would need. Perhaps they could unlock Harriet and Gersten from the basement and let them have some? :)
Last edited by TheArm on Wed Mar 27, 2013 5:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
bosguy1981
Great Northern Member

Post by bosguy1981 »

TheArm wrote: Not only is Donna asked to pass the peas more times than is reasonable, but that huge dinner bowl is full of peas, more than 3 people would need. Perhaps they could unlock Harriet and Gersten from the basement and let them have some? :)
LOL!!! You're great.
waldo

Post by waldo »

in s01e01 when Coop and Harry examine Laura's diary, Coop reads its last entry, dated feb23, and then he says, AND THAT IS THE LAST ENTRY, THAT'S SOMETHING TO GET STARTED ON, to which Harry replies, YEAH, ONE OUT OF 26... 1 out of 26?? what do they mean?

in s02e09, in Ben's office, the night after they arrest him, Albert says that the hour of Maddy's dead estimates between 10p.m and midnight last night, to which Harry replies, THAT FITS, WE DIDN'T TAKE BEN IN UNTIL AFTER MIDNIGHT... i went back 2 episodes to confirm this and they arrest him in fact at around dinner time, and maddy's death is portrayed after the arrest scene... wtf Harry!
Last edited by waldo on Sat Mar 30, 2013 10:53 am, edited 1 time in total.
Achievement is its own reward, pride obscures it.
Brad D
Global Moderator

Post by Brad D »

1 out of 26 refers to J, one letter out of the alphabet, leading to the Tibet rock throw.
waldo

Post by waldo »

Brad D wrote:1 out of 26 refers to J, one letter out of the alphabet, leading to the Tibet rock throw.
thanks, don't think i would get there all by myself.
btw, this letter J on the diary refers to Jaques right? Coop places his final bet on James on s02e01 but we see that Laura only met with him "by accident".
Achievement is its own reward, pride obscures it.