David Lynch Month - join the conversation!

General discussion on Twin Peaks not related to the series, film, books, music, photos, or collectors merchandise.

Moderators: Brad D, Annie, Jonah, BookhouseBoyBob, Ross, Jerry Horne

LostInTheMovies
Bookhouse Member

David Lynch Month - join the conversation!

Post by LostInTheMovies »

Hi everyone. I've mentioned this in a subthread on another board, but figured I'd give it one more mention here, in its own topic. I'm doing a "David Lynch Month" on my blog, with a heavy focus on Twin Peaks, which will include a collection of selected writing on the series, reviews of all Lynch's features and most of his TV episodes and shorts, an essay analyzing trends or transformations over Lynch's career, a video essay, hundreds of screen-cap images, and a memoir of my own "journey into Lynchland." Today's post kicks off the month with a guide to the coming weeks (the posts will go up once a week, each Monday morning), my memories of and opinions on Lynch, and lots of pictures from his films.

I'll also be including a "Question in a World of Blue" each week which will kick off a particular discussion. This week it's "How did you first discover the work of David Lynch?" You can read more, and leave your thoughts, here: http://thedancingimage.blogspot.com/201 ... -lost.html. Dugpa commentator erniesam has just kicked off the first week's conversation.

Hope fellow Peaks and Lynch fans enjoy the series. It's perfect timing with the upcoming blu-ray release/Missing Pieces although it was actually a coincidence, planned and conducted before I knew or realized the significance of this. But then it's Lynch, so synchronicity is to be expected haha.
LostInTheMovies
Bookhouse Member

Re: David Lynch Month - join the conversation!

This week's entry will be of particular interest to Twin Peaks fans. It's a compilation of commentary on the show from 1989 to the present, featuring excerpts from 125 pieces. Emphasis on the show's rise and fall out of audience and critical favor, the eventual reassessment of the series's and particularly the film, and the impact of Laura Palmer's story:

http://thedancingimage.blogspot.com/201 ... ry-on.html
hopesfall
RR Diner Member

Post by hopesfall »

I made a point of looking at this when i got home from work yesterday and ended up reading it from when i finished eating, right up to lying in bed with it on my phone! My wife didn't get a word in edgeways! Some great insights, really well written. It's so nice to see fresh viewpoints from people who are both hardcore fans and casual watchers of the show.

Despite spending that time i'm stil yet to catch up to date, so my lunch break later is sorted too! I'll be sure to get involved in the conversation in due time, when i've collected enough thoughts and ideas that won't bore you to death. :wink:
LostInTheMovies
Bookhouse Member

hopesfall wrote:I made a point of looking at this when i got home from work yesterday and ended up reading it from when i finished eating, right up to lying in bed with it on my phone! My wife didn't get a word in edgeways! Some great insights, really well written. It's so nice to see fresh viewpoints from people who are both hardcore fans and casual watchers of the show.

Despite spending that time i'm stil yet to catch up to date, so my lunch break later is sorted too! I'll be sure to get involved in the conversation in due time, when i've collected enough thoughts and ideas that won't bore you to death. :wink:
Thanks, glad you enjoyed it! I very much look forward to your reactions.
Leo K
Roadhouse Member

Post by Leo K »

Looking forward to all this, can't wait to read it after work!
LostInTheMovies
Bookhouse Member

Leo K wrote:Looking forward to all this, can't wait to read it after work!
Thanks. - likewise, feel free to share any thoughts/reflections /memories you have I the show and it's reception.
LostInTheMovies
Bookhouse Member

Six Weeks of Twin Peaks

I'm working on a video series on Twin Peaks which should launch today and will be posting that in its own thread. Meantime, wanted to share an update that I've launched "Six Weeks of Twin Peaks" on my blog which will include the first 3 entries in the video series, interviews with authors John Thorne & Martha Nochimson, and selections from the alt.tv.twin-peaks archive. Stay tuned! Here are the details:

http://thedancingimage.blogspot.com/201 ... peaks.html
Mb3
RR Diner Member

Post by Mb3 »

Fantastic stuff, I'm already looking forward to the interviews with Thorne and Nochimson. Just started reading the older of the two books that Nochimson released regarding Lynchs work.
LostInTheMovies
Bookhouse Member

Mb3 wrote:Fantastic stuff, I'm already looking forward to the interviews with Thorne and Nochimson. Just started reading the older of the two books that Nochimson released regarding Lynchs work.
I feel like in the past few months, my views of Lynch and Twin Peaks have been informed (and/or confirmed) by many great ideas and authors, but Nochimson is probably the one whose concepts resonate the most. The funny thing is, there's a lot of areas I diverge from her on - I don't view the Eraserhead baby as senseless matter and I don't think John Merrick acts out of an escapist delusion at the end of Elephant Man, for example. Also I definitely see the final part of Mulholland Drive, whether or not one wants to go the literalist dream route, as being more "real" than the first part. But overall, her sensibility and approach to Lynch just seems so right. She manages to be very analytical while still engaging him on a level which respects the poetic, largely nonverbal realm of his imagination. Her introduction to The Passion of David Lynch wonderfully conveys, in very personal terms, how this worked for her.

The conversation with Thorne was great. We spoke for something like 3 hours the first time, and when I called back to do a follow-up on The Missing Pieces I planned to just get enough material for a short coda, maybe a half-hour. We spoke for another 3 hours! I'm working on transcribing/editing it now but plan to have Part 1 up on Monday.