Twin Peaks Blu-Ray Sync issues (spoiler free tech thread)

General discussion on Twin Peaks not related to the series, film, books, music, photos, or collectors merchandise.

Moderators: Brad D, Annie, Jonah, BookhouseBoyBob, Ross, Jerry Horne

rocketsan22
RR Diner Member

Re: Twin Peaks Blu-Ray Sync issues (spoiler free tech thread

Post by rocketsan22 »

Add Samsung HT-e4500 to the list...this sucks. What are the chances this gets fixed?
Agent Sam Stanley
Bookhouse Member

Post by Agent Sam Stanley »

I'm still confused with this. Are the listed players the ones that still show delay after firmware update and 24p disable?
FauxOwl
RR Diner Member

Post by FauxOwl »

I notified Amazon, where I purchased the discs, of the issue. I asked them to contact CBS of the issue and find out if there is a plan to fix it, but they said no one else has reported the issue and they are sending me new discs. So at the very least may be able to tell if it's a problem with certain pressing or all the discs. Of course if the new discs have the issue it won't tell me much.
Agent Sam Stanley
Bookhouse Member

From Bluray.com:

"Anyone getting any problems with timing of the English subtitles on disc 1? They come and go much too quickly, often lasting for just a split second. I'm running an Oppo 95 with the latest firmware."

Anyone else having subtitles issues?
Mysterioso

Post by Mysterioso »

I feel so bad for those in needing but how mine is working OK? Maybe US Blu-ray player is possessed by BOB!!!! Italian Blu-ray player cannot be better? :?:
mark

Post by mark »

Hello everybody, it's my first post here.
I too have sync problems with discs 3 and 9. I have a Harman Kardon BDS 300 player.
Maybe it's a good idea to mention the number on the disc itself?
on mine it says: EU 135229 BLB R1

some people don't have problems, do they have a different number??

Mark
Murray
Roadhouse Member

Post by Murray »

I have a pretty high quality Sony home cinema system which has never before given me cause for concern. Firmware is up-to-date etc.

My Deleted Scenes disc has terrible audio sync problems for almost the entire runtime and it's very distracting.

Edit: reposting to sign up for replies.
jmichael
RR Diner Member

Post by jmichael »

The Digital Bits review is up. There's no mention of any audio problems, in fact audio is given an A+.

I've yet to encounter any issues myself and I've played my discs on three different players (two Sony and a Dell BD-ROM drive) as a test.
Robin Davies
Roadhouse Member

Post by Robin Davies »

mark wrote:I too have sync problems with discs 3 and 9. I have a Harman Kardon BDS 300 player.
Maybe it's a good idea to mention the number on the disc itself?
on mine it says: EU 135229 BLB R1
some people don't have problems, do they have a different number??
I have the same number and I have sync problems with disc 9 (I haven't checked disc 3 yet).
Agent Sam Stanley
Bookhouse Member

Misprint in the season inserts, anyone got that?

Those are not mine, I got this from a FB user
mark

Post by mark »

Dugpa, did you received a reply from CBS yet, regarding the note you send them?
Agent Sam Stanley
Bookhouse Member

A friend of mine tried the Missing Pieces on a different TV set and apparently the audio is fine now.
Maybe this whole sync issue could be related to the TV, not the player?
FauxOwl
RR Diner Member

Post by FauxOwl »

The more I dig into the sync issues the more confused I am by it. I got the second set of discs from Amazon. I put in Disc 9 of the new set and found no sync issues, but then I checked the A/V Sync setting I discovered and found it was set at the same place I set it to fix the original problem. Was the player simply remembering my original changed setting? I checked Disc 3 which some have reported issues with... no issue. I checked Disc 1 of the new set, and Discs 3, 1 and 3 of the old set. No issues. I checked other Blu-Rays discs, no issues. All the while the A/V Sync setting is still where I set it to fix the original sync problem. So somehow setting it to fix the original sync issue permanently fixed it while not causing sync problems with any other discs. Which is all fine and well but it doesn't make it any easier to understand what the original issue is.

When I have more time I may attempt a factory reset of the player and try the new discs again, so I can at least see if there is a sync problem there. But in the mean time, for those with Sony players, it is probably worthwhile to dig around for the A/V Sync option, as this fixed my issue. Again this is how I got there: While the video is playing, hit the "options" button on the remote, arrow up until you find the A/V Sync setting. Experiment with the settings until your sync is okay.
vicksvapor77
Great Northern Member

Post by vicksvapor77 »

FauxOwl wrote:The more I dig into the sync issues the more confused I am by it. I got the second set of discs from Amazon. I put in Disc 9 of the new set and found no sync issues, but then I checked the A/V Sync setting I discovered and found it was set at the same place I set it to fix the original problem. Was the player simply remembering my original changed setting? I checked Disc 3 which some have reported issues with... no issue. I checked Disc 1 of the new set, and Discs 3, 1 and 3 of the old set. No issues. I checked other Blu-Rays discs, no issues. All the while the A/V Sync setting is still where I set it to fix the original sync problem. So somehow setting it to fix the original sync issue permanently fixed it while not causing sync problems with any other discs. Which is all fine and well but it doesn't make it any easier to understand what the original issue is.

When I have more time I may attempt a factory reset of the player and try the new discs again, so I can at least see if there is a sync problem there. But in the mean time, for those with Sony players, it is probably worthwhile to dig around for the A/V Sync option, as this fixed my issue. Again this is how I got there: While the video is playing, hit the "options" button on the remote, arrow up until you find the A/V Sync setting. Experiment with the settings until your sync is okay.
i had posted about this also. I played with mine and thought The Missing Pieces looked fine at about 100 mbps using this A/V sync option.
http://www.dugpa.com/forum/viewtopic.ph ... 335#p29873

I'm confused what you mean it "permanently" fixed it? Is the A/V sync option not adjusted to where it was before, thus it's not fixed because you still have to mess with the A/V option to sync the playback?
Asterisk
Roadhouse Member

Post by Asterisk »

So far I've only watched The Missing Pieces from the set, and I would say the audio could be a fraction out (though the more one looks, the more one goes insane, thinking everything is wrong!).

One thing I am absolutely certain about, though, is the Laura/Bobby basement scene is out of sync.

I'm watching on a PS3 and have played with the settings that seem most obvious, to no avail.