NON SPOILERS: Twin Peaks: Season 3 on Showtime Thread

General discussion on Twin Peaks not related to the series, film, books, music, photos, or collectors merchandise.

Moderators: Brad D, Annie, Jonah, BookhouseBoyBob, Ross, Jerry Horne

Dead Dog
RR Diner Member

Re: NON SPOILERS: Twin Peaks: Season 3 on Showtime Thread

Post by Dead Dog »

Yeah, doesn't fit. Seems like something from a Sean Penn film.
John Justice Wheeler
RR Diner Member

Post by John Justice Wheeler »

Dead Dog wrote:Yeah, doesn't fit.
Fit with what?
djerdap
RR Diner Member

Post by djerdap »

John Justice Wheeler wrote:
Dead Dog wrote:Yeah, doesn't fit.
Fit with what?
Exactly. Why don't we wait until we actually see how Lynch includes the song in the series?
https://thirtythreexthree.wordpress.com/ - 33x3: 33 favourite films by 33 directors, 33 favourite books by 33 authors, 33 favourite albums by 33 musicians and 3 favourite TV series
Pöllö
RR Diner Member

Post by Pöllö »

I wonder if we will have those chilling 'BOB' moments in the new show. Like the scenes where BOB walks to the camera or when he appears from behind the bed and yells "Where's Josie".

I think we will. I just wonder if they are as striking as in the original series and what/who will it be. New BOB, Leland, someone else?
The cow jumped over the moon.
Panapaok
Bookhouse Member

Post by Panapaok »

Doesn't fit with what? You guys are judging the song without knowing the context of the scene it will be presented. Or the context of the show, for that matter.
This is - excuse me - a damn fine cup of coffee.
Pöllö
RR Diner Member

Post by Pöllö »

Panapaok wrote:Doesn't fit with what? You guys are judging the song without knowing the context of the scene it will be presented. Or the context of the show, for that matter.
Yeah, exactly.
The cow jumped over the moon.
Snailhead
Great Northern Member

Post by Snailhead »

I guess I'm not just not crazy about the song so I'm secretly hoping it doesn't feature too prominently. :twisted:

edit: Rainwater, James has never looked better.
Mr. Reindeer
Lodge Member

Post by Mr. Reindeer »

Snailhead wrote:I guess I'm not just not crazy about the song so I'm secretly hoping it doesn't feature too prominently. :twisted:

edit: Rainwater, James has never looked better.
Keep in mind that Nine Inch Nails's "The Perfect Drug," which was commissioned for LH and featured prominently on the soundtrack album, is in the actual film for all of ten seconds as an instrumental during a chase scene. Lynch likes to treat music like "firewood," commissioning lots of stuff before shooting/editing and then deploying it (or not) as he sees fit as production develops. Even if Vedder wrote this song specifically for the show, there's no guarantee it will feature prominently, or at all.
N. Needleman
Lodge Member

Post by N. Needleman »

Yeah, I rewatched some of LH the other day and noticed that - I'd forgotten all about it!

In both cases I love the song, but I think we sometimes get seriously in the weeds about this stuff. I think Lynch's approach to a lot of music is instinctual and not always as intellectual as fandom sometimes reads into it. Sometimes he definitely can be very exacting, like the stories James Marshall has told in Brad's book about working on "Just You". Other times it seems much more about the intuitive. He knew how Laura Palmer's theme should sound and feel, for instance. And with outside artists and music like some (not all) of the stuff from LH, it seems he was much more hands-off.
AnotherBlueRoseCase wrote:The Return is clearly guaranteed a future audience among stoners and other drug users.
frompureair
Roadhouse Member

Post by frompureair »

I love the song and think it would fit perfectly in a number of scenes. The song is about growing old and that haunting guitar is beautiful paired with his voice and that's just the live version. First time I heard it back when it first leaked I loved it then. While I agree it doesn't fit with the original maybe that's the reason. New series, new approaches, new feels.
mujubuju
Roadhouse Member

Post by mujubuju »

For those of you who are looking for some music which is speculated to be in the new series, check out "In The Nightfall" by the Veils. The song was specifically recorded in Lynch's studio. Gives me the chills thinking about what Lynch could visually pair it with.

dronerstone
RR Diner Member

Post by dronerstone »

mujubuju wrote:For those of you who are looking for some music which is speculated to be in the new series, check out "In The Nightfall" by the Veils. The song was specifically recorded in Lynch's studio. Gives me the chills thinking about what Lynch could visually pair it with.

Thanks, but this has been mentioned a few times already.
I even ordered the vinyl.
Gabriel
Great Northern Member

Re: NO SPOILERS: Twin Peaks Season 3 on Showtime May 21st 2017

Post by Gabriel »

The Vedder song says to me it'll be in one of those end-of-episode montages so popular these days where everyone is sat staring into space looking mournful because they've all had a bust up/someone's died/they're afraid they're all going to die/their lives as they knew them are over.

I like the song though. Not normally my kind of music, but it's nice.
Panapaok
Bookhouse Member

Re: NO SPOILERS: Twin Peaks Season 3 on Showtime May 21st 2017

Post by Panapaok »

I like the new policy. Keep the mystery alive or GTFO. Simple and straightforward. :lol:
This is - excuse me - a damn fine cup of coffee.
mine
Roadhouse Member

Post by mine »

frompureair wrote:I love the song and think it would fit perfectly in a number of scenes. The song is about growing old and that haunting guitar is beautiful paired with his voice and that's just the live version. First time I heard it back when it first leaked I loved it then. While I agree it doesn't fit with the original maybe that's the reason. New series, new approaches, new feels.
It's not uncommon for Vedder to either strip down songs to voice & guitar for live performances or debut them in this form before releasing them arranged differently, so I wouldn't necessarily assume the song will be featured in this form in the show.