NON SPOILERS: Twin Peaks: Season 3 on Showtime Thread

General discussion on Twin Peaks not related to the series, film, books, music, photos, or collectors merchandise.

Moderators: Brad D, Annie, Jonah, BookhouseBoyBob, Ross, Jerry Horne

AXX°N N.
Great Northern Member

Re: NO SPOILERS: Twin Peaks Season 3 on Showtime May 21st 2017

Post by AXX°N N. »

I've had 'the return is bad' nightmares too! :o On the whole, this excruciating wait, attended with the possibility of great fortune or a disappointing betrayal and sending up, feels like entering into a new relationship with what appears to be a profound person after a lifetime of abusive suitors.
Recipe not my own. In a coffee cup. 3 TBS flour, 2 TBS sugar, 1.5 TBS cocoa powder, .25 TSP baking powder, pinch of salt. 3 TBS milk, 1.5 TBS vegetable oil, 1 TBS peanut butter. Add and mix each set. Microwave 1 minute 10 seconds. The cup will be hot.
Trudy Chelgren
RR Diner Member

Post by Trudy Chelgren »

I dreamed the medieval/Glastonbury side was really played up. Like it was a whole subplot. There were these really poorly rendered CGI trees that attacked some guy in a dark forest. People racing each other in wheelchairs, in the Great Northern. It was so weird, I can't articulate. It was also kind of moving in an abstract way.
Snailhead
Great Northern Member

Post by Snailhead »

DirkG wrote:I'm sure it's the high expectations in contrast with the high level of secrecy and as good as nonexistent amount of concrete info (no still pictures, no trailer, no plot summary) that is messing with out unconscious minds. I don't think the show will be shit. But it will probably be very different from the original. In worst case it'll be a "grower", like FWWM was to me, and to be honest this may be what I most of all want it to be. I'd rather take something that's rewatchable and grows on me than something I love the first time around but never want to rewatch.
That's a really good point. I remember quite clearly that Mulholland Dr went a little over my head the first time I watched it, but I was intrigued enough to go for a second viewing - seeing MD a second time was so memorable because I felt like I was watching a brand new film, and it was incredible how well it all fit together.
Mr. Reindeer
Lodge Member

Post by Mr. Reindeer »

Snailhead wrote:That's a really good point. I remember quite clearly that Mulholland Dr went a little over my head the first time I watched it, but I was intrigued enough to go for a second viewing - seeing MD a second time was so memorable because I felt like I was watching a brand new film, and it was incredible how well it all fit together.
MD is one of the few movies I watched a second time immediately after seeing it -- because the ending was so satisfying that I was excited to re-experience the whole film with the knowledge gained at the end.

On the other hand, my first experiences of EH and IE were that I wanted to watch them again a day or two after my first viewing because I found them unsatisfying in a way -- or rather, found my initial reactions to them unsatisfying. I spent too much time during my first viewing of each thinking too much, trying to make sense of them, and that detracted from my enjoyment. It was only on second viewing of each film that I could enjoy them as experiences rather than puzzles to be solved. I think to some extent the very aspects of those films that made them dissatisfying to me on first viewing are the elements that make me revisit them more frequently than a more straightforward film like BV. It's a different experience every time, and there's always something new to feel.

I hope the new TP falls into that category for me: an acquired taste that develops into a perennial favorite once my palate adjusts.
Chester Desmond
Roadhouse Member

Post by Chester Desmond »

Jerry Horne wrote:If there are scenes outside of Twin Peaks I would think a more diverse population will be represented.

If going for realism (never a safe bet with Lynch) there should be more Hispanics in Twin Peaks. But those smaller towns in Washington (I live in one) can be pretty darn white.
Yep. I live in Ocean Shores, just caucasians and native americans.
Hang loose, Houlies
mtsi
RR Diner Member

Post by mtsi »

Gonna have to visit soon. I'm coming around Easter.

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk
We live inside a dream.
Agent327
Roadhouse Member

Post by Agent327 »

DirkG wrote:I don't think the show will be shit. But it will probably be very different from the original..
And I strongly suspect that it will be even MORE of a difference than people assume........

There will probably be plenty of "This doesn't feel like Twin Peaks" type comments.

But the huge differences are simply unavoidable. The different state of mind of the creators, as proven by Lynch's other work as well as the expected evolution of an evolving artist, the Lynch and Frost age factor (slightly taboo and rightfully so on some level, but their minds simply don't work the same as when they were young men, for varying scientific reasons, even discounting the evolution factor).

The totally different, and on average much much older cast. A young, fresh faced Cooper in the lead role is naturally going to feel completely different than a ca. 60 year old Cooper.
The very different era in which we live, where the norms have shifted completely in the TV landscape.

There are so many factors you just cannot get around that will absolutely guarantee a totally different "Twin Peaks" this time around.

It could turn out to be rewarding and memorable in it's own right. And one thing to keep it mind, it will never diminish the old series. Nor should it, in anyone's mind. That one stands alone. This is best seen as a potentially really interesting "bonus".
kafa81
RR Diner Member

Post by kafa81 »

Dalai Cooper wrote:Can't wait to see hawk in the new series, especially after horse's performance on the audiobook
Anyone have a link to the interview with MIchael Horse where he mentioned something along the lines that he didn't think he understood the new season of Twin Peaks? :?:
mtwentz
Lodge Member

Post by mtwentz »

Agent327 wrote:
DirkG wrote:I don't think the show will be shit. But it will probably be very different from the original..
And I strongly suspect that it will be even MORE of a difference than people assume........

There will probably be plenty of "This doesn't feel like Twin Peaks" type comments.

But the huge differences are simply unavoidable. The different state of mind of the creators, as proven by Lynch's other work as well as the expected evolution of an evolving artist, the Lynch and Frost age factor (slightly taboo and rightfully so on some level, but their minds simply don't work the same as when they were young men, for varying scientific reasons, even discounting the evolution factor).

The totally different, and on average much much older cast. A young, fresh faced Cooper in the lead role is naturally going to feel completely different than a ca. 60 year old Cooper.
The very different era in which we live, where the norms have shifted completely in the TV landscape.

There are so many factors you just cannot get around that will absolutely guarantee a totally different "Twin Peaks" this time around.

It could turn out to be rewarding and memorable in it's own right. And one thing to keep it mind, it will never diminish the old series. Nor should it, in anyone's mind. That one stands alone. This is best seen as a potentially really interesting "bonus".
There's no way any show is going to look and feel the same after 25 years. The big question is if we're going to have a 'Bob Dylan at the Newport Folk Festival' type event, where it goes so radically against what some people expect, causing them to turn against it initially before finally embracing the new show.
F*&^ you Gene Kelly
laughingpinecone
Great Northern Member

Post by laughingpinecone »

Agent327 wrote:

Fandom (respectfully): "not to intrude in what could be a private matter but the creators' age and the mindset it entails may have influenced their work"
Mark Frost (grabbing a megaphone, standing on a chair): "WE'RE ALL TRAPPED IN TIME AND WE'RE ALL GOING TO DIE" (x)
:mrgreen:

(Agreed that unfortunate continuations do not soil their respective originals but oh boy is it annoying to function socially in fandom spaces where you can't stand the latest iteration...)
] The gathered are known by their faces of stone.
Noidea

Post by Noidea »

I saw this on the imdb trivia - wondering if this can be verified anywhere.

The network originally planned a "soft" marketing campaign, believing that the hype generated by the shows revival would be substantial enough to hook those too young to know of Twin Peaks original '90's run. The reboot has not generated the interest in the first series of the show the network expected. As such they have had to launch a last minute marketing blitzkrieg on social media and rethink how to engage the portion of the audience who will not have seen the original series. Sources close to the production say that following the plot with out knowledge of what came before could prove problematic. However the same marketing executive stated "simply following the plot my prove problematic period"!
indyit
RR Diner Member

Post by indyit »

Noidea wrote:I saw this on the imdb trivia - wondering if this can be verified anywhere.

The network originally planned a "soft" marketing campaign, believing that the hype generated by the shows revival would be substantial enough to hook those too young to know of Twin Peaks original '90's run. The reboot has not generated the interest in the first series of the show the network expected. As such they have had to launch a last minute marketing blitzkrieg on social media and rethink how to engage the portion of the audience who will not have seen the original series. Sources close to the production say that following the plot with out knowledge of what came before could prove problematic. However the same marketing executive stated "simply following the plot my prove problematic period"!
First I've heard of it. It sounds plausible even if it goes against the general belief that Lynch and Frost have final approval on marketing a little. I guess this isn't mutually exclusive though, they could have final approval and the marketing budget was much smaller in the belief that the buzz of the revival ought to be enough and then changing their minds and spending more money on it.

I don't know how easy it is to measure "buzz" and whether the show will hook those too young to have known the original when we know nearly nothing about it and until the show starts airing this will unlikely change. I think with the right word of mouth and quality this could be very popular. Stranger Things got progressively more popular due to word of mouth and this could do the same. The only difference there is that Stranger Things had an invitingly short season length, no previous canon to consider and being on Netflix.
mtwentz
Lodge Member

Post by mtwentz »

Well, it certainly fits with some of what we've seen in regards to how Showtime has treated the original series.

First Season of the the original series was marathoned on Showtime 1, then later re-broadcasts were relegated to Showtime 2.

'Simply following the plot may be problematic' would be not be surprising either :-).

EDIT: Finding a way to catch people up to speed who have not seen the original series and FWWM is not a difficult endeavor.

There are dozens of ways to do it- including an extended form of a 'previously on Twin Peaks' intro.
F*&^ you Gene Kelly
N. Needleman
Lodge Member

Post by N. Needleman »

Noidea wrote:I saw this on the imdb trivia - wondering if this can be verified anywhere.

Even putting aside the fact that it's on the IMDB where anyone can write anything, I find this highly unlikely. It's some fan's annoyed rationale over the hands-off marketing - which they find 'last minute'. It's literally word for word some complaints from this board.

It's much more likely Lynch is only letting them do what he wants them to do. Showtime would not throw a campaign together 'last minute' and assume they did not have to promote TP.
AnotherBlueRoseCase wrote:The Return is clearly guaranteed a future audience among stoners and other drug users.
Mordeen
Great Northern Member

Post by Mordeen »

I've recently fallen into the "I couldn't care less if it's a commercial success" camp, if there is such a camp. Many of Lynch's works have fallen short of commercial success, but have endured because of their fascinating quality.

Two months to go.

-Mordeen
Moving Through Time. . .