NON SPOILERS: Twin Peaks: Season 3 on Showtime Thread

General discussion on Twin Peaks not related to the series, film, books, music, photos, or collectors merchandise.

Moderators: Brad D, Annie, Jonah, BookhouseBoyBob, Ross, Jerry Horne

Harry S. Truman
RR Diner Member

Re: NO SPOILERS: Twin Peaks Season 3 on Showtime May 21st 2017

Post by Harry S. Truman »

underthefan wrote:
Harry S. Truman wrote:
underthefan wrote: Better get that coffee ready, Harry!
Sure, and quite, but the live premiere does not miss. 8) 8) :D
Just make sure it's black like... Well, you know the rest. :wink:

And that it has no fish inside. :lol: :lol: :lol:
Harry S. Truman
RR Diner Member

Post by Harry S. Truman »

Bloodflood wrote:I bet we'll have a new teaser with new footage by next sunday.
I really doubt it.
mtwentz
Lodge Member

Post by mtwentz »

Harry S. Truman wrote:
I really doubt it.

It makes sense to have a new teaser for the 30 day countdown
F*&^ you Gene Kelly
Rudagger
RR Diner Member

Post by Rudagger »

DonnieB wrote:Yeah I can't think of anything I want TP to be less than a naturalistic police procedural. Seriously?
My point moreso is that Twin Peaks does have scenes of straight police/detective work, but, it comes off as really half-assed to me, in a way that feels symptomatic of writing a show in 1990 where they can't rely on viewers to not miss an episode (hence how often facts are repeated in each episode). If they're going to approach a crime solving element to this season, of which there *was* clue-finding in the original series (beyond the mystical side), I want them to do it well and not treat it as an after thought, otherwise why bother.

They ultimately arrive at a solution, but, the way Coop solves it feels cheap, as it makes the mystical clues overly literal rather than intuitive (i.e., throwing rocks to help figure out who to focus on is great). Perhaps if they weren't rushed into revealing the character, the solution could've come about more organically.

I mean, the original run *is* a murder mystery with tropes of the genre (police interviews, witnesses, autopsies, evidence gathering, wanted posters), up until halfway through the second season when it's solved. So, if you hate police procedural, I imagine you're not a fan of the first season.

Twin Peaks does subvert the genre a lot, and I love the mystical elements, but, ultimately it is *part* of that genre, and will need to up it's game in that department due to the current television landscape.

I'm mostly surprised at how much kickback I got here, considering all the #keepthemystery alive stuff. Yes, I like the mystical elements being left to the imagination and interpretation, but, is there anything wrong with wanting the actual physical crimes to be a well plotted mystery that doesn't fall apart under scrutiny? Laura's murder is, despite the flourishes of BOB and possession, ultimately a crime that exists entirely in the physical world. And re-watching Fire Walk With Me shows how perhaps they didn't put the most thought into the actual circumstance under which the murder happened and had to work backwards in setting it up (it feels very .. 'written', that Jacques gets knocked out, Leo runs, and then Leland drags Laura/Ronette to an abandoned rail way car, and then the one-armed man shows up just in time for Ronette to fall out the door, and for Leland to just give her a kick on the ground and leave her to dispose of Laura's body). I chalk that up to the fact that they only wrote/shot the pilot in a vacuum and then did the rest of the series. The third season however would have been plotted all at once, so, hopefully it avoids those problems.

For example of what I mean weak plotting, isn't there an episode where Coop finds a copy of Fleshworld in Jacques apartment, which both has Laura's profile, and also a picture of Leo's truck in the magazine. It all is just too convenient (who makes the magazine, why the hell would a picture of Leo's truck outside his house be in the magazine?) Maybe I'm just misremembering or conflating some things.

I think it'd be neat as hell if Frost/Lynch wrote a mystery where the characters were never able to solve it, but there were enough logical clues that astute viewers could.
John Justice Wheeler
RR Diner Member

Post by John Justice Wheeler »

New footage? Of trees swaying?
Mr. Reindeer
Lodge Member

Post by Mr. Reindeer »

Rudagger wrote:For example of what I mean weak plotting, isn't there an episode where Coop finds a copy of Fleshworld in Jacques apartment, which both has Laura's profile, and also a picture of Leo's truck in the magazine. It all is just too convenient (who makes the magazine, why the hell would a picture of Leo's truck outside his house be in the magazine?) Maybe I'm just misremembering or conflating some things.
I love that! I look at Leo's truck in Flesh World more as a silly aburdist gag than a plot point -- the page actually first appears in the Pilot, where DKL seemingly put the photo in the magazine just to get a transition to the next shot, an exterior of the Johnson house. Frost does later have Coop spot it in Episode 5, but I get the sense that even there, everyone's tongues are planted firmly in cheek. That's the type of goofiness I don't mind in TP.

For me, the more traditional mystery/crime-solving aspect is a huge driving force in season 1 and mostly works like gangbusters (balanced perfectly with the quirky intuitive rock-throwing stuff). This element loses something in season 2, just as the mythology is beginning to grow in earnest. There's probably a direct correlation there, and ultimately, it's a trade-off that was worth making -- but it's a pity they couldn't continue to balance the traditional detective work more effectively with the Black Lodge stuff instead of having the Giant spoon-feed Coop in Episode 16.
Soolsma
Bookhouse Member

Post by Soolsma »

Ok, happy to announce; I've finally passed the ''omfg when dafuq is trailer comin?!1 tidbits plz, id be happy with an interview, gimme anything. nobody posts NE spoilers in over 3 dayzzzz, imma dyin out here :'(''- phase and moved on.

Right now, I'm perfectly good with waiting those couple of weeks which will be over before I'd even realize that the day has actually come. I could not care less for a trailer. In the end, we'll thank Lynch for his stubbornness and value the time the mystery was most alive.

Hell, I don't even know if I'm ready for this.
Though I try so hard to steer away from expectations, I can't help expecting that it will be awesome. But it will have to be really, really, great, because.. I've been checking this forum somewhat compulsively for the past 2 years. Reading up on everything that's even remotely connected to TP. Regularly re-watching episodes. Having multiple dreams with character's from TP, most notably BOB (now a regular member of my recurring dream club, I have the strangest bond with him, I've more than once 'let him in' and last time I was comforting the poor fella as he loudly wept), occasionally, Lynch and I would watch the premiere together (Lynch never speaks in my dreams, just nods and smiles).

Honestly, I did not -ever- obsess over something like I have all this time leading up to the premiere. Maybe a woman, or two, perhaps the Matrix when I was 13, but that's it! All that, because I adore Twin Peaks over any work of fiction.

Will my anticipation be justified? It's hard to imagine something could actually top what Twin Peaks did for me when I first saw it, 4 years ago, and still does to me.

I'm not sure yet. Maybe.. it will be kind of.. bad.
Lynch could have lost his touch, stuck in a Lynchian rut, self repeating, mindless plots with all it's expected unexpected twists and turns. Most of it could only be barely clinging on to it's past glories, it could feel like an insult to that which we've all held so dearly. It could have been good, but this, now, just seems overdue, the old cast feeling completely out of place. Then there's this constant bother of rehashed stuff while the show's desperate attempt to be contemporary and hip feels downright embarrassing. I mean come on, did they honestly need that CGI MJA to appeal to today's public? And did they really have to recast Annie just so she could stay hot young and blond? All in all, not much more than a Phantom Menace, the remake of Psycho or the Blair Witch Project 2.. (sorry there Agent Sam Stanley. I still have your cut on my hard drive and plan on watching it!) Turns out, Lynch is now believes torturing and disappointing an audience as violently as possible is what true art is. Since his last scheme backfired and INLAND EMPIRE was still received quite well, he has now gone full throttle with an 18 hour version of pure hell:

Twin Peaks: Electric Boogaloo 2 - Evelyn Drank With Me

Or even worse, it could .. just be... kinda good.. and end up ranking on the low end of my top 10 favorite tv series of all time, as a honorary fill up.

Mark, David, you better make this work!!!!! And keep those trailers, they smell of trout anyway.

Soooooo... Anyone else a bit nervous?
Last edited by Soolsma on Sun Apr 16, 2017 9:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Carrie Page: "It's a long way... In those days, I was too young to know any better."
WhiteLodge90
RR Diner Member
Location: You're on the path. you don't need to know where it leads. just follow.

Post by WhiteLodge90 »

Did some back reading and it annoys me the hate for some of what made Twin Peaks great. I personally really enjoyed the clues. They had literally been set up since episode 1 of season 2 that Lynch himself directed. Obviously they were going to play a part in the reveal of Laura Palmers killer. Let's be real here.

Also as far as a murder on the show. This show was never and will never be Law and order SVU... Will there be another who done it mystery to the show? I doubt it but I wouldn't hate if done right. This will be equal parts surreal and also plot driven just like the original with maybe some more abstract surreal elements. Everyone involved in making the show has stated this. So people who will get annoyed if every moment isn't Cooper talking to a bunch of rabbits in a house need to get over themselves a bit. What makes Twin Peaks so great is it blends some more of Lynch's traditional abstract surrealism with some solid traditional storytelling of Frosts. Lynch also has some solid linear storytelling in Blue Velvet and Wild at Heart so it's not as if he's immune to the idea. I just think people need to get off their high horse a bit. I feel like this same topic is discussed on here every other week.
The milk will get cool on you pretty soon.
Agent Earle
Bookhouse Member

Post by Agent Earle »

Yawn... How many times have we been down that road.
Agent Earle
Bookhouse Member

Post by Agent Earle »

John Justice Wheeler wrote:
New footage? Of trees swaying?
Possibly. If that shot was made for the old series and can now be reused, that is.
Xavi
RR Diner Member

Post by Xavi »

Rudagger wrote:I think it'd be neat as hell if Frost/Lynch wrote a mystery where the characters were never able to solve it, but there were enough logical clues that astute viewers could.
Yeah, that's exactly how I think Lynch intended Twin Peaks from the very first beginning.
You know, people -- we're all detectives. We all have intuition. We're all sensing more than what meets the eye, deciphering things, figuring things out. So beautiful for the human being. It's part of it, it's part of us. Some films can be great, they're entertaining, you love 'em, but that's it. You're on to the next thing. And others, you can roll 'em around, you can think about them, live with them. And if you like that world that you get to go into, that's a beautiful thing. You can visit that world again, and go in and, in a way, get lost, like Chet Baker -- "Let's Get Lost." You get lost in a dream, and there's indications of things, that you can put it all together. It's all there.
krishnanspace
Bookhouse Member

Post by krishnanspace »

mtwentz wrote:
Harry S. Truman wrote:
I really doubt it.

It makes sense to have a new teaser for the 30 day countdown
25 day countdown would make more sense
DonnieB
Roadhouse Member

Post by DonnieB »

I'm starting to think some of you want a trailer more than you want the actual show. We're a month away, people. There's no trailer coming and who cares at this point?
Rainwater
RR Diner Member

Post by Rainwater »

I think there's definitely at least one major teaser coming. Not holding my breath, though. I've long given up on trying to predict dates. I think, so far, it's all come down to Lynch providing the marketing team zero material to work with, and them more or less throwing their hands up until he feeds them something.
I'll see you in the trees
mtwentz
Lodge Member

Post by mtwentz »

In re: to episode 16, it is one of my favorite episodes in terms of story development (the Season 2 equivalent of the last episode of Season 1). However, there is a noticeable drop in quality from the previous episodes in Season 2, mostly because the Laura Palmer storyline is abruptly wrapped up too quickly. It all seems a little rushed.

However, I do not believe there is anything wrong with the Roadhouse scene. Cooper is becoming increasingly suspicious of Leland's odd behavior. He also has undoubtedly noted that both victims were living with the Palmer's. It's possible the whole idea of bringing all the suspects to the Roadhouse is an elaborate trap to test out his suspicions on Leland.

My only complaint was how Leland explained he came to be possessed. 'I saw him in my dream' was too simplistic an explanation.
F*&^ you Gene Kelly