NON SPOILERS: Twin Peaks: Season 3 on Showtime Thread

General discussion on Twin Peaks not related to the series, film, books, music, photos, or collectors merchandise.

Moderators: Brad D, Annie, Jonah, BookhouseBoyBob, Ross, Jerry Horne

LateReg
Bookhouse Member

Re: NO SPOILERS: Twin Peaks Season 3 on Showtime May 21st 2017

Post by LateReg »

Agent327 wrote:
DirkG wrote:I don't think the show will be shit. But it will probably be very different from the original..
And I strongly suspect that it will be even MORE of a difference than people assume........

There will probably be plenty of "This doesn't feel like Twin Peaks" type comments.

But the huge differences are simply unavoidable. The different state of mind of the creators, as proven by Lynch's other work as well as the expected evolution of an evolving artist, the Lynch and Frost age factor (slightly taboo and rightfully so on some level, but their minds simply don't work the same as when they were young men, for varying scientific reasons, even discounting the evolution factor).

The totally different, and on average much much older cast. A young, fresh faced Cooper in the lead role is naturally going to feel completely different than a ca. 60 year old Cooper.
The very different era in which we live, where the norms have shifted completely in the TV landscape.

There are so many factors you just cannot get around that will absolutely guarantee a totally different "Twin Peaks" this time around.

It could turn out to be rewarding and memorable in it's own right. And one thing to keep it mind, it will never diminish the old series. Nor should it, in anyone's mind. That one stands alone. This is best seen as a potentially really interesting "bonus".
I get what you're saying, but my personal expectations are high that this will outdo the original series due to Lynch/Frost's full control. Specifically, I think the best way to go into this is not to think of it as a potentially really interesting bonus, but as the next David Lynch film, full stop. It's a bonus that it happens to be a new season of Twin Peaks, but I've always thought of it more so as Lynch's long-awaited next film, the prospects of which have been slim over the past decade. In that regard, there's no reason to guard against disappointment that it won't live up to or be similar to the original series. I fully expect it to be a different beast and the next step in Lynch's evolution. I can't wait to see where he goes after his last film, Inland Empire, seemed so extreme that he couldn't possibly take his art further. But that's just me, as I'm primarily a Lynch fan first, and a Twin Peaks fan second.
Ross
Global Moderator

Post by Ross »

N. Needleman wrote:
Noidea wrote:I saw this on the imdb trivia - wondering if this can be verified anywhere.

The network originally planned a "soft" marketing campaign, believing that the hype generated by the shows revival would be substantial enough to hook those too young to know of Twin Peaks original '90's run. The reboot has not generated the interest in the first series of the show the network expected. As such they have had to launch a last minute marketing blitzkrieg on social media and rethink how to engage the portion of the audience who will not have seen the original series. Sources close to the production say that following the plot with out knowledge of what came before could prove problematic. However the same marketing executive stated "simply following the plot my prove problematic period"!
Even putting aside the fact that it's on the IMDB where anyone can write anything, I find this highly unlikely. It's some fan's annoyed rationale over the hands-off marketing - which they find 'last minute'. It's literally word for word some complaints from this board.

It's much more likely Lynch is only letting them do what he wants them to do. Showtime would not throw a campaign together 'last minute' and assume they did not have to promote TP.
And how would they know if new viewers have become interested in the original? The ratings for the airings of Showtime2? The original is also on DVD, Blu Ray, OnDemand, itunes, Netflix, etc.
"I can see half my life's history in your face... And I'm not sure that I want to."
http://twinpeakssoundtrackdesign.blogspot.com/
Ross
Global Moderator

Post by Ross »

Mordeen wrote:I've recently fallen into the "I couldn't care less if it's a commercial success" camp, if there is such a camp. Many of Lynch's works have fallen short of commercial success, but have endured because of their fascinating quality.
I want it to be successful. For Showtime, and most importantly FOR LYNCH/FROST. The (commercial and critical) failure of FWWM hurt Lynch on a personal level, and I want him to come out of this triumphant. And as a fan, I'm hoping people enjoy it and its thought of as a success. Why wouldn't we hope for that?
"I can see half my life's history in your face... And I'm not sure that I want to."
mtwentz
Lodge Member

Post by mtwentz »

Ross wrote:
Mordeen wrote:I've recently fallen into the "I couldn't care less if it's a commercial success" camp, if there is such a camp. Many of Lynch's works have fallen short of commercial success, but have endured because of their fascinating quality.
I want it to be successful. For Showtime, and most importantly FOR LYNCH/FROST. The (commercial and critical) failure of FWWM hurt Lynch on a personal level, and I want him to come out of this triumphant. And as a fan, I'm hoping people enjoy it and its thought of as a success. Why wouldn't we hope for that?
From some stuff I read on the Internet, a premium pay show needs only one of three ingredients to be successful:

1. Viewership

or

2. Critical success

or

3. Awards

Any one of those three, and the show should pay dividends for Showtime.
F*&^ you Gene Kelly
Agent Sam Stanley
Bookhouse Member

Post by Agent Sam Stanley »

Ross wrote:
What I think hurt Lynch the most regarding FWWM is that not only critics but also the fans despised it.
If S3 gets good reviews and a good rate of approval among the fans I'm sure it'll be enough. It doesn't have to be watched by millions.

Anyway I'm with Mordeen. Couldn't care less if it's a success or not.
adl345
RR Diner Member

Post by adl345 »

Wow, even without message boards IMDB is finding ways to troll us.
Ross
Global Moderator

Post by Ross »

When I say I want it to successful, I don't mean it has to have blockbuster ratings. I mean I want it to be considered a success- as in fans like it, critics like it. Well regarded.
mtwentz
Lodge Member

Post by mtwentz »

Agent Sam Stanley wrote:
Ross wrote:
What I think hurt Lynch the most regarding FWWM is that not only critics but also the fans despised it.
If S3 gets good reviews and a good rate of approval among the fans I'm sure it'll be enough. It doesn't have to be watched by millions.

Anyway I'm with Mordeen. Couldn't care less if it's a success or not.
Since Twin Peaks is a limited series, I am guessing the critical praise and awards are even more important than the ratings.

I agree that Lynch is probably not externally motivated by the need for praise and awards. He might even look at awards panels with a slight feeling of contempt, 'Who are these people to judge whether my work is worthy or not'?

However, I also imagine Lynch wants Showtime to be successful- and the new Twin Peaks probably needs the critical praise and/or awards to get the kind of 'buzz' that would justify Showtime's investment.
F*&^ you Gene Kelly
Agent Sam Stanley
Bookhouse Member

Post by Agent Sam Stanley »

Ross wrote:When I say I want it to successful, I don't mean it has to have blockbuster ratings. I mean I want it to be considered a success- as in fans like it, critics like it. Well regarded.
And I think S3 can still have those things without massive promotion. Critics and fans are well aware the show is coming back and when ;)
SpookyDollhouse
RR Diner Member

Post by SpookyDollhouse »

While overall I hope everybody enjoys the show and it's fine if it doesn't hit explosive popularity again, part of me REALLY hopes it's a success because this could be the start of an auteur TV revolution.
Mordeen
Great Northern Member

Post by Mordeen »

Ross wrote:When I say I want it to successful, I don't mean it has to have blockbuster ratings. I mean I want it to be considered a success- as in fans like it, critics like it. Well regarded.
That's why I wrote "commercial success" and not critical success. Of course I want it to be well regarded and I'm certain it will be. Keep an eye out for near-record Emmy considerations.

-Mordeen
Moving Through Time. . .
Rainwater
RR Diner Member

Post by Rainwater »

Noidea wrote:"simply following the plot my prove problematic period"
That sentence cracks me up.
I'll see you in the trees
Jerry Horne
Global Moderator

Post by Jerry Horne »

Seattle.
Attachments
Screen Shot 2017-03-21 at 12.41.25 PM.png
Screen Shot 2017-03-21 at 12.41.25 PM.png (464.58 KiB) Viewed 7392 times
RARE TWIN PEAKS COLLECTIBLES AT ---> WWW.TWINPEAKSGENERALSTORE.BLOGSPOT.COM
Ross
Global Moderator

Post by Ross »

Jerry Horne wrote:Seattle.
That's awesome.
dronerstone
RR Diner Member

Post by dronerstone »

Nice one! Are we sure this is a TP ad though?