NON SPOILERS: Twin Peaks: Season 3 on Showtime Thread

General discussion on Twin Peaks not related to the series, film, books, music, photos, or collectors merchandise.

Moderators: Brad D, Annie, Jonah, BookhouseBoyBob, Ross, Jerry Horne

Jerry Horne
Global Moderator

Re: NO SPOILERS: Twin Peaks Season 3 on Showtime May 21st 2017

Post by Jerry Horne »

I'd love to hear Shelly cuss like a sailor.
RARE TWIN PEAKS COLLECTIBLES AT ---> WWW.TWINPEAKSGENERALSTORE.BLOGSPOT.COM
WhiteLodge90
RR Diner Member
Location: You're on the path. you don't need to know where it leads. just follow.

Post by WhiteLodge90 »

mtwentz wrote:
WhiteLodge90 wrote:
Audrey Horne wrote:
continuity would seem like cheap fan service to me.

This sounds like a ill advised comment. Why would having character and plot detaisl match up from the first two seasons be a "cheap fan service"

All I'm personally asking for is that the characters are the same. (At least on earth) and some details like for example Lucy being pregnant or Bobby killing a guy are kept intact. Not that fan servicy to me..
Having exact continuity just might not be Lynch and Frost's priority.

Note that the Christian gospels have a load of inconsistencies between the various books. I've never found a Christian who was bothered by those 'continuity' errors, and neither should we be bothered by the inevitable continuity errors (if such a concept exists inside a show that can be interpreted as living inside a dream).

This is myth making on a grand scale, some of the details are subject to change without notice.

While I get your analogy I don't agree with it. I understand Lynch's style however seeing a character like Shelly being a completely new person would definitely be a massive downer for me unless it all comes back in the end to mean something greater. Or for example let's say they change a major plot point like Leland never becoming Bob. That would be a head scratcher for me that would effect my enjoyment on the show to some extent. I'm not expecting a warm, gooey, nostalgic reunion but again I don't want to be watching an Inland Empire world where Shelly is now some completely different person unless it has an explanation like it's another reality or something similar to that.
The milk will get cool on you pretty soon.
Agent Earle
Bookhouse Member

Post by Agent Earle »

FROM NYTIMES ARTICLE: »With Mr. Lynch immersed in “Wild at Heart,” Mr. Frost had to fill 15 more episodes without the show’s original premise.«
MY COMMENT: My, so Lynch was, what, watching his feature film and meditating about it for this whole time. As we know damn well he couldn't've been filming it...

FROM NYTIMES ARTICLE:“I stopped watching that show because it got so bad.”
MY COMMENT: So basically Lynch's agreeing with the network pulling the plug on the show.
polishq
RR Diner Member

Post by polishq »

For most of 2014 I was working on a fan-fiction Season Three comic book with two other collaborators. I've put together a thread about it here - http://www.dugpa.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=3519 - if anyone cares to see the crazy ideas we had. This week was my last chance to get it on the record before we see the real continuation.
Ross
Global Moderator

Post by Ross »

I don't really think it's fair to say if continuity "should or shouldn't be important" to fans. Not all fans are the same.

As for people playing different roles- I'm thinking Sheryl and Walter could certainly be new characters.
"I can see half my life's history in your face... And I'm not sure that I want to."
http://twinpeakssoundtrackdesign.blogspot.com/
WhiteLodge90
RR Diner Member
Location: You're on the path. you don't need to know where it leads. just follow.

Post by WhiteLodge90 »

Ross wrote:I don't really think it's fair to say if continuity "should or shouldn't be important" to fans. Not all fans are the same.

As for people playing different roles- I'm thinking Sheryl and Walter could certainly be new characters.
Those would be acceptable people to play different roles in a weird and mysterious way because their characters are dead.
laughingpinecone
Great Northern Member

Post by laughingpinecone »

WhiteLodge90 wrote: This sounds like a ill advised comment. Why would having character and plot details match up from the first two seasons be a "cheap fan service"

All I'm personally asking for is that the characters are the same. (At least on earth) and some details like for example Lucy being pregnant or Bobby killing a guy are kept intact. Not that fan servicy to me..
I daresay we've already seen, roughly, the range of potential changes. For example, Josie's death may take place before Leland's, Coop may have been shot in Pittsburgh, and that accident may have taken place just one year before the show... Norma's mother may be dead... Donna may have Boyle's face or Kelly's, may or may not have known Maddy since they were kids, Teresa's murder may be investigated by Chet or Coop...

@mtwentz "myth-making on a grand scale" nails it imho. Wonderfully said.
] The gathered are known by their faces of stone.
mtwentz
Lodge Member

Post by mtwentz »

WhiteLodge90 wrote:
mtwentz wrote:
WhiteLodge90 wrote:

This sounds like a ill advised comment. Why would having character and plot detaisl match up from the first two seasons be a "cheap fan service"

Note that the Christian gospels have a load of inconsistencies between the various books. I've never found a Christian who was bothered by those 'continuity' errors, and neither should we be bothered by the inevitable continuity errors (if such a concept exists inside a show that can be interpreted as living inside a dream).

This is myth making on a grand scale, some of the details are subject to change without notice.

While I get your analogy I don't agree with it. I understand Lynch's style however seeing a character like Shelly being a completely new person would definitely be a massive downer for me unless it all comes back in the end to mean something greater. Or for example let's say they change a major plot point like Leland never becoming Bob. That would be a head scratcher for me that would effect my enjoyment on the show to some extent. I'm not expecting a warm, gooey, nostalgic reunion but again I don't want to be watching an Inland Empire world where Shelly is now some completely different person unless it has an explanation like it's another reality or something similar to that.
I would just say- do not prejudge what you would like or would not like before you see it on your screen.

If you had asked me in 1989 if I would end up liking a show where a senile old waiter walks into a room where a man is suffering from gunshot wounds and acts like nothing has happened, and then moments later a Giant discusses to the wounded man about a 'man in a smiling bag', I'd have laughed at you and told you you were nuts.
F*&^ you Gene Kelly
mtwentz
Lodge Member

Post by mtwentz »

Ross wrote:I don't really think it's fair to say if continuity "should or shouldn't be important" to fans. Not all fans are the same.

Ross, I was just wondering when you were going to weigh in, I figured you might be on a cruise ship somewhere until the premiere :-).

Edit: I now regret I did not book my cruise vacation for this week myself.
F*&^ you Gene Kelly
WhiteLodge90
RR Diner Member

Post by WhiteLodge90 »

laughingpinecone wrote:
WhiteLodge90 wrote: This sounds like a ill advised comment. Why would having character and plot details match up from the first two seasons be a "cheap fan service"

I daresay we've already seen, roughly, the range of potential changes. For example, Josie's death may take place before Leland's, Coop may have been shot in Pittsburgh, and that accident may have taken place just one year before the show... Norma's mother may be dead... Donna may have Boyle's face or Kelly's, may or may not have known Maddy since they were kids, Teresa's murder may be investigated by Chet or Coop...

@mtwentz "myth-making on a grand scale" nails it imho. Wonderfully said.

Those are all kind of minor 80's/90's continuity errors that I'm sure most TV viewers expect from that era of television for one reason or another. I just don't want major characters or plot points to be completely changed without it having a greater meaning is all I'm saying.
WhiteLodge90
RR Diner Member

Post by WhiteLodge90 »

mtwentz wrote:
WhiteLodge90 wrote:
mtwentz wrote:

I would just say- do not prejudge what you would like or would not like before you see it on your screen.

If you had asked me in 1989 if I would end up liking a show where a senile old waiter walks into a room where a man is suffering from gunshot wounds and acts like nothing has happened, and then moments later a Giant discusses to the wounded man about a 'man in a smiling bag', I'd have laughed at you and told you you were nuts.
I'm trying my best not to "prejudge" I'm still very excited I just don't honestly thing I could get behind a beloved (alive) character being someone competently different in the real world and dimension of Twin Peaks.

Now if it turns out for example that Shelly is still real in this reality of Twin Peaks but is someone else in another dimension of the town I can get behind that.
Ross
Global Moderator

Post by Ross »

mtwentz wrote:

Ross, I was just wondering when you were going to weigh in, I figured you might be on a cruise ship somewhere until the premiere :-).

Edit: I now regret I did not book my cruise vacation for this week myself.
Ha!! I'm around!! Waiting on pins and needles like everyone! Trying to find time to post, tweet, find and read all the articles. It's all so surreal seeing TP everywhere.

The continuity thing is really the one thing I'm nervous about. But we shall see. Hopefully I can keep an open mind about those things. Right now we really have no idea what might be in store.
"I can see half my life's history in your face... And I'm not sure that I want to."
http://twinpeakssoundtrackdesign.blogspot.com/
underthefan
Great Northern Member

Post by underthefan »

Yeah, I would definitely not be hung up on strict continuity (not unlike the original show and FWWM). To do so is a surefire way to end up disappointed.
Agent Earle
Bookhouse Member

Post by Agent Earle »

Audrey Horne wrote:
Agent Earle wrote:Well, let me be the first (sorry, I can't keep my mouth shut): I'm disappointed with this LOOSE attitude towards the show's continuity and history they're displaying. I said it once and I'll say it again: if that's gonna be their stance, why call it "Twin Peaks" in the first place - it could be literally anything (else). Pilot be damned. There were 29 installments afterwards.
continuity would seem like cheap fan service to me.
"Cheap" is the right word there. As in "cheap shot".
Agent Earle
Bookhouse Member

Post by Agent Earle »

WhiteLodge90 wrote:
mtwentz wrote:
WhiteLodge90 wrote:

Effin' A.