NON SPOILERS: Twin Peaks: Season 3 on Showtime Thread

General discussion on Twin Peaks not related to the series, film, books, music, photos, or collectors merchandise.

Moderators: Brad D, Annie, Jonah, BookhouseBoyBob, Ross, Jerry Horne

Agent Earle
Bookhouse Member

Re: NON SPOILERS: Twin Peaks: Season 3 on Showtime Thread

Post by Agent Earle »

N. Needleman wrote:Ugh, Ray Donovan.
You don't like Ray Donovan?
N. Needleman
Lodge Member

Post by N. Needleman »

Agent Earle wrote:
No.
AnotherBlueRoseCase wrote:The Return is clearly guaranteed a future audience among stoners and other drug users.
Gabriel
Great Northern Member

Post by Gabriel »

dkenny78 wrote:
Jonah wrote:Even two episodes a week might have been a better idea. Also, that would have gone along with the 9 weeks Showtime had originally intended it to play for as a limited series.
Yeah, I agree. 9 weeks of two episodes each seems like a good compromise but there are financial benefits for Showtime to stretch it out over 3-4 billing cycles. I wonder that, if they lose momentum fast, they might end up going this route anyway to get to the end game more quickly. Ending in mid-July as opposed to early September would allow them to avoid the Ray Donovan schedule change and the competition from Game of Thrones, not to mention the finale awkwardly falling on Labor Day weekend.
Yeah, the structure makes it clear that this is a long film; parts don't really end with a significant hook to bring you back next week, but simply stop and go off to a pop song. I'm really interested to see whether the Blu-ray version will offer an 'unbroken' version with many of the musical interludes removed.

The only reason I can think of for the slower release schedule is that people will rewatch what they've seen. I've watched the first four parts twice and I got more out of them (and liked them a lot more) on the second viewing. Had there been a Netflix-style binge watch possible, it's likely I wouldn't have done that. That said, just one episode a week will be irritating.
Jonah
Global Moderator

Post by Jonah »

Gabriel wrote:Had there been a Netflix-style binge watch possible, it's likely I wouldn't have done that. That said, just one episode a week will be irritating.
But wouldn't you have rewatched them all anyway over time even if they had all been released at once? And yes, I agree - it will be irritating. And break the momentum, I feel, given the narrative beats of this doesn't play like a series. Lynch said he thinks narrative storytelling - one episode per week - is a beautiful thing, though he also proclaimed this was not a series but a gargantuan film. I feel "Episode 4" was the closest it came to narrative TV, the ending almost, but not quite, a cliffhanger. I'd love a "Next On" segment (done in the ambiguous style of the old series, with a voice over and pictures, not a spoilery one showing scenes).
I have no idea where this will lead us, but I have a definite feeling it will be a place both wonderful and strange.
dkenny78
RR Diner Member

Post by dkenny78 »

Gabriel wrote:
Yeah, the structure makes it clear that this is a long film; parts don't really end with a significant hook to bring you back next week, but simply stop and go off to a pop song. I'm really interested to see whether the Blu-ray version will offer an 'unbroken' version with many of the musical interludes removed.
I'd LOVE the option of a seamless film experience on the Blu-ray, or even on the Showtime App once all parts are aired and uploaded. Would be curious to see how those closing scenes of each part would be altered as the credits play over them.
LateReg
Bookhouse Member

Post by LateReg »

Gabriel wrote:
dkenny78 wrote:
Jonah wrote:Even two episodes a week might have been a better idea. Also, that would have gone along with the 9 weeks Showtime had originally intended it to play for as a limited series.
Yeah, I agree. 9 weeks of two episodes each seems like a good compromise but there are financial benefits for Showtime to stretch it out over 3-4 billing cycles. I wonder that, if they lose momentum fast, they might end up going this route anyway to get to the end game more quickly. Ending in mid-July as opposed to early September would allow them to avoid the Ray Donovan schedule change and the competition from Game of Thrones, not to mention the finale awkwardly falling on Labor Day weekend.

The only reason I can think of for the slower release schedule is that people will rewatch what they've seen. I've watched the first four parts twice and I got more out of them (and liked them a lot more) on the second viewing. Had there been a Netflix-style binge watch possible, it's likely I wouldn't have done that. That said, just one episode a week will be irritating.
Same here. As much as I love the closing musical numbers (which, except for the one at the end of part 2, all contain no plot and therefore are the equivalent of a song played over closing credits, as is typical of many series), I'd truly like to experience this as a film with no credits up until the end. It truly seems to have no episodic structure whatsoever.
Jerry Horne
Global Moderator

Post by Jerry Horne »

Well, I've planted the idea in Mark's head:
Attachments
Screen Shot 2017-05-24 at 11.59.26 AM.png
Screen Shot 2017-05-24 at 11.59.26 AM.png (39.09 KiB) Viewed 8760 times
RARE TWIN PEAKS COLLECTIBLES AT ---> WWW.TWINPEAKSGENERALSTORE.BLOGSPOT.COM
N. Needleman
Lodge Member

Post by N. Needleman »

Abrupt endings would remind me of what was clumsily done with Series 1 of Jane Campion's Top of the Lake, where episodes would just stop mid-action, at least in the American release. Ending each episode with a musical number in Twin Peaks in the Roadhouse helps anchor the show, IMO. I love those musical beats.
AnotherBlueRoseCase wrote:The Return is clearly guaranteed a future audience among stoners and other drug users.
Coffee
Roadhouse Member

Post by Coffee »

Jerry Horne wrote:Well, I've planted the idea in Mark's head:
Haha! Brilliant Jerry.
dkenny78
RR Diner Member

Post by dkenny78 »

Last year, HBO Go/HBO Now was streaming Coppola's 'Godfather Saga', which is basically a 7-hour supercut of the first two Godfather films with the scenes arranged in complete chronological order (and with a ton of deleted scenes restored). Though I've seen both films many times before, it was a completely new and exciting experience to see this epic unfold in one unbroken piece. I really hope the Showtime app makes this long-form play option possible for Twin Peaks once all is said and done.
Agent Earle
Bookhouse Member

Post by Agent Earle »

N. Needleman wrote:
Agent Earle wrote:
No.
How come?
WhiteLodge90
RR Diner Member
Location: You're on the path. you don't need to know where it leads. just follow.

Post by WhiteLodge90 »

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/live-f ... ch-1005322

Not sure where to post this but very interesting. I'm still thinking it's a possibility we get a surprise Josie return maybe even as another J named character.... :wink:
The milk will get cool on you pretty soon.
Terence
Roadhouse Member

Post by Terence »

Hello everyone.

First time posting in this form after years of on & off reading here..but im really loving the new seasons first 4 parts so far.

A life long fan of Twin Peaks also.

But about its eventual Blu-ray release.
It would be really cool & make sense to have it uncut on its home release seeing as the first 2 parts & its last 2 parts are & is going to be uncut.

You most often put 4 episodes on a Blu-ray disc for TV shows for best video & audio quality so thats 4 hours then of course it stops. then on the next disc for the next uncut 4 hours.

So thats 5 discs with the last 2 hours & special features on the last disc or hopefully an other disc for special features. :)

But to make it extra special have the option to have the parts separate also as they aired seeing as David went to the bother of getting bands to perform at the Roadhouse to make a stop point at each part..
Last edited by Terence on Wed May 24, 2017 5:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
N. Needleman
Lodge Member

Post by N. Needleman »

Agent Earle wrote:
N. Needleman wrote:
Agent Earle wrote:
No.
How come?
I don't think it's very good. Another dime a dozen crime show with a tortured male lead.
Esselgee
RR Diner Member

Re: NO SPOILERS: Twin Peaks Season 3 on Showtime May 21st 2017

Post by Esselgee »

polishq wrote:Has this been discussed? Parts 5-8 now have episode descriptions:
Part 5: Case files.
Part 6: Don't die.
Part 7: There's a body all right.
Part 8: Gotta light?
My DVR has an ever so slight difference for the part 6 description.

It says "Do not die."