NON SPOILERS: Twin Peaks: Season 3 on Showtime Thread

General discussion on Twin Peaks not related to the series, film, books, music, photos, or collectors merchandise.

Moderators: Brad D, Annie, Jonah, BookhouseBoyBob, Ross, Jerry Horne

secretlettermkr
RR Diner Member

Re: NO SPOILERS: Twin Peaks Season 3 on Showtime May 21st 2017

Post by secretlettermkr »

polishq wrote:
eyeboogers wrote:
secretlettermkr wrote: :?: :?: :?: :?: :?:
Commonplace? maybe i miss something but, SURREALISM its not common place.
In the video they say that TV is "full of avant garde shows" WHAT??? FULL?, AVANT GARDE? are this words have the same meaning for this people that they do have in fact if you know what surrealism and avant-garde means?
Well currently shows like "The Leftovers" and "Legion" certainly fit that description - and I am sure there are others currently airing as well.
Hannibal, American Gods...
again, neither of these shows are surreal or avant-garde,

American Gods is a FANTASY series...
And Hannibal, .... well, its just a gritty series of slowmotion over stylized videoclips with bad actors
underthefan
Great Northern Member

Post by underthefan »

N. Needleman wrote:So I was on cold meds last night for my spring allergies, loopy and slightly more paranoid than usual, my apologies: The Laura billboard on Santa Monica Boulevard in LA is between Pandora Avenue and Thayer.
Thanks, Needleman! No worries, I will not share this information outside of dugpa. As a fellow allergy sufferer, I feel you. :)
polishq
RR Diner Member

Post by polishq »

secretlettermkr wrote:
polishq wrote:
eyeboogers wrote:
Well currently shows like "The Leftovers" and "Legion" certainly fit that description - and I am sure there are others currently airing as well.
Hannibal, American Gods...
again, neither of these shows are surreal or avant-garde,

American Gods is a FANTASY series...
And Hannibal, .... well, its just a gritty series of slowmotion over stylized videoclips with bad actors
I think it's pretty clear that they're using the layperson's definition of surreal/avant-garde, i.e. as a stand-in for "weird". Which is an apt description of all of these shows. But yes, people often use words wrong.
eyeboogers
Great Northern Member

Post by eyeboogers »

secretlettermkr wrote:
eyeboogers wrote:
secretlettermkr wrote: :?: :?: :?: :?: :?:
Commonplace? maybe i miss something but, SURREALISM its not common place.
In the video they say that TV is "full of avant garde shows" WHAT??? FULL?, AVANT GARDE? are this words have the same meaning for this people that they do have in fact if you know what surrealism and avant-garde means?
I watch BOTH, neither of them are avant-garde, and surreal is many many times used wrong, almost always.
LEGION is about a MUTANT from the x-men Universe that has mental powers, so, we either live in his imagination because of that, or things are flying, because of that powers... its not surrealism at all. Its a great show, with many stranghts and many many flaws. BUT ITS NOT AVANT GARDE.
And the leftovers is a show that deal with the spiritual realm, its a fantasy drama if you will, and its more close in style to twin peaks, but its NOT SURREALISM and most certainly NOT avant-garde.
Here people, me included, get angry when journalist call this sequel a REBOOT. This is even worse.

To be clear, i dont think Twin Peaks is surreal, other lynch works fit in that category more easily (LostHighway, INLAND EMPIRE), but Twin Peaks i dont think is SURREAL, visually it most certainly evoques Magritte sometimes.
I am sorry, but I don't think you understand what those terms mean. If you see no elements of surrealism in "The Leftovers" - or consider it's extreme narrative innovations that surpass all conventions as avant garde storytelling, then I can't think of any film or television examples that would fit. If you can't see any surrealism in say episode 29 of "Twin Peaks"...
Last edited by eyeboogers on Thu May 11, 2017 9:33 am, edited 1 time in total.
secretlettermkr
RR Diner Member

polishq wrote:
I think it's pretty clear that they're using the layperson's definition of surreal/avant-garde, i.e. as a stand-in for "weird". Which is an apt description of all of these shows. But yes, people often use words wrong.

exactly, but the avant garde thing, maybe TwinPeaks was that to TV, but the shows mentioned above dont even come close.
secretlettermkr
RR Diner Member

eyeboogers wrote:
secretlettermkr wrote:
eyeboogers wrote:
I watch BOTH, neither of them are avant-garde, and surreal is many many times used wrong, almost always.
LEGION is about a MUTANT from the x-men Universe that has mental powers, so, we either live in his imagination because of that, or things are flying, because of that powers... its not surrealism at all. Its a great show, with many stranghts and many many flaws. BUT ITS NOT AVANT GARDE.
And the leftovers is a show that deal with the spiritual realm, its a fantasy drama if you will, and its more close in style to twin peaks, but its NOT SURREALISM and most certainly NOT avant-garde.
Here people, me included, get angry when journalist call this sequel a REBOOT. This is even worse.

To be clear, i dont think Twin Peaks is surreal, other lynch works fit in that category more easily (LostHighway, INLAND EMPIRE), but Twin Peaks i dont think is SURREAL, visually it most certainly evoques Magritte sometimes.
I am sorry, but I don't think you understand what those terms mean. If you see no elements of surrealism in "The Leftovers" - or consider it's extreme narrative innovations that surpass all conventions as avant garde storytelling, then I can't think of any film or television examples that would fit. If you can't see any surrealism in say episode 29 of "Twin Peaks"...

hahhahaha, i have all the manifestos on surrealism, i happen to be an artist and teacher graduated on art school, i know what i talkin about, and surrealism its a word that people misuse 99% of the time.
episode 29 could be said to have "elements" of surrealism, but i recoemnd to goand read Breton and then, you will see, that,.. etc
mtsi
RR Diner Member

Post by mtsi »

We live inside a dream.
secretlettermkr
RR Diner Member

eyeboogers wrote:" - or consider it's extreme narrative innovations that surpass all conventions as avant garde storytelling...
:?: :?: :?:

what? its a great show, but THIS?? no man, "extreme narrative innovation"?? what? " surpass all conventions " ?? you must be joking..
eyeboogers
Great Northern Member

Post by eyeboogers »

secretlettermkr wrote:
eyeboogers wrote:
secretlettermkr wrote:
hahhahaha, i have all the manifestos on surrealism, i happen to be an artist and teacher graduated on art school, i know what i talkin about, and surrealism its a word that people misuse 99% of the time.
episode 29 could be said to have "elements" of surrealism, but i recoemnd to goand read Breton and then, you will see, that,.. etc
Again, if you want to go that route - as someone who has also taught and studied art history, as well as given talks on surrealism in film, you are not understanding those terms.

You must be watching a different "The Leftovers" than I am.
secretlettermkr
RR Diner Member

mtsi wrote:https://youtu.be/tbIpi0KOCCc?t=41s

Definitely.
of course
but then again, they were talkin about the series today tv, and my complain was about the lack of those things, not to mention that the article and video said ITS FULL OF AVANT GARDE and SURREALISM, its simply not true
mtsi
RR Diner Member

Post by mtsi »

I was referencing something entirely different, but yeah... I feel ya.
We live inside a dream.
secretlettermkr
RR Diner Member

eyeboogers wrote:
secretlettermkr wrote:
eyeboogers wrote:
Again, if you want to go that route - as someone who has also taught and studied art history, as well as given talks on surrealism in film, you are not understanding those terms.

im watching the same, its great, i dont see innovations, and extreme ones? ...

Surrealism its not onyric, its not nonsense, its not SYMBOLISM surrealism its politic and subersive, theres nothing subversive in anything that was mentioned above, except for TWINN PEAKS

English is not my first language, and its hard to keep up this discussion in other than myt native tongue, but get real, Surrealism and avant garde are not things the tv is full of, the world of popular culture is lacking these things, i hope lynch brings something along this lines, but... those shows ... are most certainly not doin it
eyeboogers
Great Northern Member

Post by eyeboogers »

secretlettermkr wrote:
eyeboogers wrote:
secretlettermkr wrote:

Surrealism its not onyric, its not nonsense, its not SYMBOLISM surrealism its politic and subersive, theres nothing subversive in anything that was mentioned above, except for TWINN PEAKS

English is not my first language, and its hard to keep up this discussion in other than myt native tongue, but get real, Surrealism and avant garde are not things the tv is full of, the world of popular culture is lacking these things, i hope lynch brings something along this lines, but... those shows ... are most certainly not doin it
Since English language is not your native language (nor is it mine), you are probably not aware of how condescending your tone is. Starting with the article writer you attacked and continuing with this "get real" rhetoric. We could debate the merits and how elements of certain shows might fit or not fit the criteria - but that would require a much humbler less know it all attitude.
secretlettermkr
RR Diner Member

eyeboogers wrote:
secretlettermkr wrote:
eyeboogers wrote:

Since English language is not your native language (nor is it mine), you are probably not aware of how condescending your tone is. Starting with the article writer you attacked and continuing with this "get real" rhetoric. We could debate the merits and how elements of certain shows might fit or not fit the criteria - but that would require a much humbler less know it all attitude.
i have to go now, pardon me if you read a tone in my words, not sure what that means since we are reading each other,.. but my intention was only to state that the journalist made a wide definition of the state of tv these days, i just dont agree, avant garde was dadaism, not LEGION or THE LEFTOVERS, Surrealism its not a common place at all, anywhere. You could say, in a chat with friends at a barr that "the scene in hannbial was so surreal!..." but you cant say that TV IS FULL OF SURREAL SHOWS.
I have to go, later

(my keyboard is hell, its malfunctioning and theres typos all over the place)