NON SPOILERS: Twin Peaks: Season 3 on Showtime Thread

General discussion on Twin Peaks not related to the series, film, books, music, photos, or collectors merchandise.

Moderators: Brad D, Annie, Jonah, BookhouseBoyBob, Ross, Jerry Horne

Rudagger
RR Diner Member

Re: NO SPOILERS: Twin Peaks Season 3 on Showtime May 21st 2017

Post by Rudagger »

The Jumping Man wrote:Has anyone heard this before?
After the season premiere ends, Showtime subscribers will be able to access the third and fourth episodes in the series via the channel's Showtime Anytime service and Showtime On Demand. The network will continue posting two new episodes after each official airing (i.e., when episodes three and four air, subscribers can access five and six).
From Rolling Stone:

http://www.rollingstone.com/tv/videos/s ... er-w480715
Sort of an odd roll out, if true. With this sort of half-binge style, you could finish the series weeks ahead of the series (if they keep posting two episodes even when they only air one for a few weeks). For some reason I'm taking it with a grain of salt though, just because it sounds somewhat ill-conceived.

Great teaser though. I have to say though, I'm not crazy about the colour grading. I know it's a stylistic choice, but, as someone who spends time colour grading stuff, it just looks unfinished to me. If the show itself is good, I won't care (I love 28 Days Later, for instance, and that movie objectively looks like garbage as it was shot .. 480p with terrible low-light cameras, so, digital noise everywhere!). But, it does feel like Lynch has a kindred spirit in Michael Mann, who also kind of embraced the 'digital-ness' of digital video, and to me actually made the visuals of their work far worse. Mind you, one of the things that bugs me most about Michael Mann's digital film is his use of odd shutter speed (Public Enemies) which straight up makes it feel like a news broadcast. But the outdoor daylight visuals look less 'gloomy' to me and more like what RED footage (and likely Arri footage) looks like when it comes straight out of the camera and doesn't have any LUT or grading applied to it. Super flat and washed out (sure we don't have crushed blacks, but, the blacks here are straight up greys!).

Like the Carl Rodd or trailer park shots feel really off compared to those interiors, the shot of Coop, or the lovely shot of the trees that follows the Showtime credit on the Youtube version.

But, this all comes down to a matter of opinion.
ryanmj1993
Roadhouse Member

Post by ryanmj1993 »

I'm really loving what I see but I have to agree it looks too digital in some shots. Still looking forward to it obviously.
Mr. Reindeer
Lodge Member

Post by Mr. Reindeer »

Incredible. All of these actors can tell an entire story with a look. I love that everyone is now as craggy as Harry Dean was 25 years ago. Looks like BTW was, as many of us believed, a look into Lynch's mindset regarding Sarah's circumstances. I'm beyond excited to see ALL these characters, but especially her.
Mistertom
Roadhouse Member

Post by Mistertom »

I find it Interesting we got a shot of carl before Shelly .
mtsi
RR Diner Member

Post by mtsi »

I love that I know exactly where Harry Dean is sitting in my local park. So much fun.
We live inside a dream.
Mr. Reindeer
Lodge Member

Post by Mr. Reindeer »

Also, the wooden bear by Big Ed is sublime. Excited for all the new quirky set dressing and props.
adl345
RR Diner Member

Post by adl345 »

Mistertom wrote:
After the season premiere ends, Showtime subscribers will be able to access the third and fourth episodes in the series via the channel's Showtime Anytime service and Showtime On Demand. The network will continue posting two new episodes after each official airing (i.e., when episodes three and four air, subscribers can access five and six).
From Rolling Stone:

I can't imagine that's right.
Agreed. Haven't read this anywhere else, which makes me think the author messed up. If Showtime were trying out such an unorthodox release strategy, there'd be bunch of articles stating that, not just a single paragraph in a single article that's otherwise about the trailer.
Mordeen
Great Northern Member

Post by Mordeen »

crazyscottishguy wrote:SHAKING!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Looks like Cooper is with someone if you look closely to his right side of the frame.
A Log Lady.

Betcha.

-Mordeen
Moving Through Time. . .
Driftwood
RR Diner Member

Post by Driftwood »

Rudagger wrote:
From Rolling Stone:

Sort of an odd roll out, if true. With this sort of half-binge style, you could finish the series weeks ahead of the series (if they keep posting two episodes even when they only air one for a few weeks). For some reason I'm taking it with a grain of salt though, just because it sounds somewhat ill-conceived.
"two new episodes after each official airing" what? even when it's just airing one episode that week? or is the author confused by the first two weeks airing two episodes and all they're actually doing is just streaming next weeks episode (or episodes) after that nights airing, which is still annoying, like getting two episodes every other week with reruns inbetween.
Mordeen
Great Northern Member

Post by Mordeen »

Ed's still going to the RR but eating alone.

Carl has already gone places, and is looking to them.

Sarah is full of sadness.

Andy's on the case.

Hawk knows. And has the only speaking part in the teaser.

Coop received a message. The log had something to tell him.

Just over two weeks for eighteen hours of pure electricity. Like the sound of the beats in the teasers.

-Mordeen
Moving Through Time. . .
Driftwood
RR Diner Member

Post by Driftwood »

marchug
RR Diner Member
Location: Where the birds sing a pretty song and there's always music in the air.

Post by marchug »

Mordeen wrote:Ed's still going to the RR but eating alone.

Carl has already gone places, and is looking to them.

Sarah is full of sadness.

Andy's on the case.

Hawk knows. And has the only speaking part in the teaser.

Coop received a message. The log had something to tell him.

Just over two weeks for eighteen hours of apure electricity. Like the sound of the beats in the teasers.

-Mordeen
I'm glad this board doesn't have like buttons.
But if it did, I would very much like this post.
-23-
Jerry Horne
Global Moderator

Post by Jerry Horne »

Mordeen wrote:Stay focused and keep an eye out next Friday.

-Mordeen
Looking forward to it.
RARE TWIN PEAKS COLLECTIBLES AT ---> WWW.TWINPEAKSGENERALSTORE.BLOGSPOT.COM
Mordeen
Great Northern Member

Post by Mordeen »

Ahh crap that's not the Log Lady next to Coop. That's...someone else.

Crazy and revelatory. Read into everything.

Carl Rodd wins this teaser though.

-Mordeen
Moving Through Time. . .