NON SPOILERS: Twin Peaks: Season 3 on Showtime Thread

General discussion on Twin Peaks not related to the series, film, books, music, photos, or collectors merchandise.

Moderators: Brad D, Annie, Jonah, BookhouseBoyBob, Ross, Jerry Horne

AgentEcho
RR Diner Member

Re: NON SPOILERS: Twin Peaks: Season 3 on Showtime Thread

Post by AgentEcho »

Apparently the On Demand numbers were good:

http://deadline.com/2017/05/twin-peaks- ... 202100511/
Madeleine Ferguson

Post by Madeleine Ferguson »

Jerry Horne wrote:I'd love to have a bug in Nevin's office today. The prestige, the merchandise sales, will it be enough? Whatever happens, we have 18 hours of Peaks we never thought we would get.
If the ratings continue to drop do you think there is a chance they may not broadcoast all 18 parts? Like what happened to On The Air back in the day...
Watch out for my cousin
Jerry Horne
Global Moderator

Post by Jerry Horne »

Madeleine Ferguson wrote:
Jerry Horne wrote:I'd love to have a bug in Nevin's office today. The prestige, the merchandise sales, will it be enough? Whatever happens, we have 18 hours of Peaks we never thought we would get.
If the ratings continue to drop do you think there is a chance they may not broadcoast all 18 parts? Like what happened to On The Air back in the day...
Not a chance.
RARE TWIN PEAKS COLLECTIBLES AT ---> WWW.TWINPEAKSGENERALSTORE.BLOGSPOT.COM
Hockey Mask
RR Diner Member

Post by Hockey Mask »

AgentEcho wrote:I'd be interested to know if there was a spike in Showtime On Demand subscriptions. I know I subscribed on Sunday, and I suspect many people did the same either Sunday or in the days leading up to it. It's not like those numbers would be less important to Showtime than the live ratings. In fact the availability of the ala carte on demand service probably affected the live ratings, and I'm sure Showtime is aware of that.
yes, that weekend was their biggest enrollment ever.
jakemartinez
Roadhouse Member

Post by jakemartinez »

Madeleine Ferguson wrote:
No way. They will air the whole thing. TBH - I'm not happy about the ratings as a fan, but I'm not surprised. People love their easy to understand, basic action and explosion shows. Lol. Several of my friends hated it because it was too slow and confusing. I said, "Do you even like David Lynch's movies?" They said "No, just Twin Peaks." Granted these are people in their mid to late 20s. Idk. I think my generation has just grown up on things like the Walking Dead and Game of Thrones... big flashy stuff... I'm glad we are getting closure for the story and we can be happy with that.
Jerry Horne
Global Moderator

Post by Jerry Horne »

AgentEcho wrote:Apparently the On Demand numbers were good:

Yep, I posted that a page ago.

I think, first of all, Lynch/Frost need to be interested in more. It may come down to sign-ups, merch sales and home video sales etc. Good critical response is important and TP fans are loyal. Will talent be drawn to Showtime because of David Lynch?
Soolsma
Bookhouse Member

Post by Soolsma »

Jerry Horne wrote:Will talent be drawn to Showtime because of David Lynch?
Or even better: will tv in general become more daring and artistic because of the show once more?
Carrie Page: "It's a long way... In those days, I was too young to know any better."
evwalk99

Post by evwalk99 »

I think if Lynch and Frost want more and Showtime says no, Hulu or Netflix would gladly pick it up.

I don't think these live cable numbers are particularly relevant for now because of the Showtime Anytime and Hulu streaming all 4 episodes in 1 night. I'm more interested in the live numbers starting on June 4.
adl345
RR Diner Member

Post by adl345 »

Jerry Horne wrote:

I think, first of all, Lynch/Frost need to be interested in more. It may come down to sign-ups, merch sales and home video sales etc. Good critical response is important and TP fans are loyal. Will talent be drawn to Showtime because of David Lynch?
Perhaps I'm being cynical, but I'm thinking yesterday's crowing about on-demand numbers might've just been pre-emptive spin because they knew a bad viewership number was coming.

That's kind of the neat thing about networks that have robust streaming platforms though. They can now all play the Netflix game of claiming everything's a hit while never releasing any verifiable data.

FYI, In comparison to same-day viewership of other Showtime dramas, it's way better than Guerrilla and way worse than everything else. Here's a good chart:

http://tvseriesfinale.com/tv-show/showt ... ngs-33448/
Last edited by adl345 on Tue May 23, 2017 8:05 am, edited 1 time in total.
N. Needleman
Lodge Member

Post by N. Needleman »

Jerry Horne wrote:

I think they're interested. My question is if the numbers will hold up enough after the brutally alienating premiere episodes. I loved them but I can see a major tuneout a la the old response to episode 8, and dropping faster each week.

I am at peace no matter what because these 18 episodes are a closed event Lynch planned for, but it would definitely be nice for the eps to hold strong enough for Showtime to greenlight more.

And frankly I am not convinced Showtime cares much about the numbers. I have always been told they cared more about the prestige here - about letting David Lynch launch them into HBO-tier prestige territory. These episodes have done that. Whether you liked it or not you must agree there was nothing else like that on TV before - ever (again). I didn't think that could happen again, but it did. I can see Nevins greenlighting more based on that. I'd love it.
AnotherBlueRoseCase wrote:The Return is clearly guaranteed a future audience among stoners and other drug users.
Jerry Horne
Global Moderator

Post by Jerry Horne »

If there is another season I'll guess half the budget and 10 parts keeping it inline with other cable shows.
Spoiler:
It would be nice for a full season good Coop.
N. Needleman
Lodge Member

Post by N. Needleman »

Yeah, I don't think we need another 18 episodes. I'd be fine with 8-10 next go-round. If there is one.

God, this is insane to think about. Maybe then I can get my Telltale Games Twin Peaks, set in the last 25 years!
AnotherBlueRoseCase wrote:The Return is clearly guaranteed a future audience among stoners and other drug users.
mtwentz
Lodge Member

Post by mtwentz »

Hey, I wonder if they will finally release a trailer now? Seems like there is enough footage that dropped in the first 4 episodes to make a really killer trailer.
F*&^ you Gene Kelly
Panapaok
Bookhouse Member

Post by Panapaok »

Expect the numbers to drop more. It's a very challenging and abstract show and it's very lengthy. I think Showtime is kinda expecting this anyway.
This is - excuse me - a damn fine cup of coffee.
N. Needleman
Lodge Member

Post by N. Needleman »

I think they are too.