NON SPOILERS: Twin Peaks: Season 3 on Showtime Thread

General discussion on Twin Peaks not related to the series, film, books, music, photos, or collectors merchandise.

Moderators: Brad D, Annie, Jonah, BookhouseBoyBob, Ross, Jerry Horne

N. Needleman
Lodge Member

Re: NO SPOILERS: Twin Peaks Season 3 on Showtime May 21st 2017

Post by N. Needleman »

If that EPK's visual material is to be taken as pertinent to the plot - and I suspect it is, as I think it corresponds to something else we've seen in the EW production photos, namely Hawk standing by the red-taped boxes in what is likely the same conference room - then what this suggests is that the TPSD is in the middle of a case connected with the Laura Palmer investigation. Hence, why Laura's photo is crudely taped to something and in the middle of the table, next to said boxes, which I'll bet are all about the Palmer case from '89.
AnotherBlueRoseCase wrote:The Return is clearly guaranteed a future audience among stoners and other drug users.
Jerry Horne
Global Moderator

Post by Jerry Horne »

A quick re-post of the forum rules before we move on:

Welcome to the forum. We know our members are passionate about their love for all things Twin Peaks. You wouldn't be here if that wasn't the case. Despite having differing viewpoints it is a policy that we all treat each other with mutual respect.

Posting abusive, obscene, vulgar, slanderous, hateful, threatening, sexually-orientated, or any material that may violate any laws be it of your country or the country where this forum is hosted will get you permanently banned.

Posting of spoilers is not permitted. Keep the mystery alive.
RARE TWIN PEAKS COLLECTIBLES AT ---> WWW.TWINPEAKSGENERALSTORE.BLOGSPOT.COM
Dalai Cooper
RR Diner Member

Post by Dalai Cooper »

Good lookin out, jer. Let's be good to each other.

A paltry 29 days until we get 4 hours! I do worry slightly about the effects of mainlining...
laughingpinecone
Great Northern Member

Post by laughingpinecone »

Wow wow wow great stuff!

For full context, these background pics zoom in one into the other. It starts from the outside of the Great Northern, then inside a room is this:
Capture.PNG
Capture.PNG (828.78 KiB) Viewed 8026 times
and then the ones vicksvapor77 posted. So it's all a little abstract. No wonder that desk is where the reception should be, or that there's a weird reflection in Laura's eye.
I think that the fact that the desk with various materials and Laura's picture exists is certainly meaningful, and that weird reflection may eventually make sense as well. But yeah. A little abstract.
] The gathered are known by their faces of stone.
Venus
RR Diner Member

Post by Venus »

laughingpinecone wrote:Wow wow wow great stuff!

For full context, these background pics zoom in one into the other. It starts from the outside of the Great Northern, then inside a room is this:
Capture.PNG
and then the ones vicksvapor77 posted. So it's all a little abstract. No wonder that desk is where the reception should be, or that there's a weird reflection in Laura's eye.
I think that the fact that the desk with various materials and Laura's picture exists is certainly meaningful, and that weird reflection may eventually make sense as well. But yeah. A little abstract.
Could the eye reflection be the moon or am I reaching a little bit too much there? Thanks to Vicks for posting the EPK.

Yes, good call to Jerry a few posts up. I have been there since it first aired in 1990 and I feel like TP is part of my soul but, and I know I'll get shot for this, it is just TV. Wonderful, amazing, meaningful, challenging, magical TV - but just TV. Turn it on it's head and sometimes the looking forward to it bit that can be the best bit. I for one have been facing many awful life challenges of late and, people may laugh, but looking forward to TP3 airing has been one of the things keeping me going and I thank David Lynch and Mark Frost for that. They will never know that I thank them but I thank them nonetheless. Sometimes dreams come true and I am looking forward to dreaming away with them in my small part of the world.
When Jupiter and Saturn meet...
John Justice Wheeler
RR Diner Member

Re: RE: Re: NO SPOILERS: Twin Peaks Season 3 on Showtime May 21st 2017

Post by John Justice Wheeler »

NightTimeMyTime wrote:
Ross wrote:
Audrey Horne wrote:For Annie, I have a theory but will wait until the premiere airs, and we have more of a sense of the tone. I think this series is really going to focus on personal journeys and becoming whole again. Not just with Cooper. Many of the characters will be between two worlds... Sometimes metaphysical, dream worlds, while others being more broken parts of their former selves in the literal world. One month!
I think you're spot on. People's journeys as well as the passage of time.
Interesting! Yeah, for example if Cooper is bearing one perspective of the events from the past, a lot of people (Laura, Leland, Annie, Jacques, Maddie, Teresa Banks etc.) seems to hang loose between both living and dead. And those could perhaps haunt Cooper or someone else from the spirit world into their living state, or into Cooper's living state as hinself or as BOB. Maybe a living Leland is haunted by those he killed "in another life" and so is Cooper. Or something else.
I still think that this is likely both the real challenge and the real inspiration for the new show (who knows, maybe the very prospect is what drew them back). But again it is a huge and formidable challenge. As we all know, when the series originally aired the Cooper/BOB cliffhanger was going to be resolved fairly quickly in a 1991 season 3, likely before he actually had time to do much that was irredeemable. But now we have the prospect of a Cooper/BOB situation that has lasted for literally decades and all that may go along with that. This is a huge problem (and challenge) creatively for the obvious reasons but also because, on a more fundamental level, it casts us back into the circumstance with Leland/BOB and issues of complicity. It's easy enough to say that this is fertile territory and it is but it's also very difficult territory to navigate because when it applies to our heroic and virtuous Cooper it creates a very complicated and muddy ambiguity where there never has been one before. Even if L&F make it clear that Cooper/BOB is the shadow self of "good Cooper" (which seems unlikely as that seems overly simplified) there are still the "real world" implications that would have to be addressed presumably in a world that is less amenable overall to brush off brutal crimes with a shrug, especially with only a conveniently pat mystical justification available (though obviously, as we know from Leland's infamous wake, some are more inclined to do this than others). So, the huge challenge for the show has to become about turning toward expanding upon and developing its mystical foundations and underlying cosmology (which would be far from clean and clear cut "mythology" as we're used to it from other series) because what else can be done really to adequately and properly address this highly problematic idea?
Agent Sam Stanley
Bookhouse Member

Post by Agent Sam Stanley »

Help, how do I save the pics from the stills gallery? (without the EW logo)
Jerry Horne
Global Moderator

Post by Jerry Horne »

Agent Sam Stanley wrote:Help, how do I save the pics from the stills gallery? (without the EW logo)
http://www.dugpa.com/forum/viewtopic.ph ... =45#p72711
RARE TWIN PEAKS COLLECTIBLES AT ---> WWW.TWINPEAKSGENERALSTORE.BLOGSPOT.COM
eyeboogers
Great Northern Member

Post by eyeboogers »

Agent Sam Stanley wrote:Help, how do I save the pics from the stills gallery? (without the EW logo)
It is strange that this is a difficult thing to do, considering that this is a press kit. I was able to find them by inspecting the page source code. They are png's. It would take me a while to dig all of them out, but here is one example. The next few are called "22_1"..."23_1" and so forth. Happy hunting :-)

http://cdn-contentviewer.adobe.com/v/8 ... f_21_1.png

laughingpinecone
Great Northern Member

Venus wrote:
Could the eye reflection be the moon or am I reaching a little bit too much there? Thanks to Vicks for posting the EPK.
It's CLEARLY a sparkle so it looks more anime. next step:
sorry Laura.PNG
sorry Laura.PNG (18.85 KiB) Viewed 7935 times
Seriously, I'm attempting some Dale Cooper-ing of my own to try and spot something in that eye's reflection but I'm no good at this. I think I see the photographer's reflection? What's a flash look like?
eh.PNG
eh.PNG (228.12 KiB) Viewed 7935 times
I wish it were the moon, though.
krishnanspace
Bookhouse Member

Post by krishnanspace »

amazing laughingpinecone.You have some good drawing skills
Audrey Horne
Lodge Member

Post by Audrey Horne »

Venus, all the best to you!

JJW, it's interesting comparing the cliffhanger to a possible third fall 1991 continuation versus a 2017 one. I mean when Cooper becomes Bob where do you possibly go beyond that for the next season's cliffhanger?! How do you keep a show going that has already reached its most dramatic er, peak? And can you have Cooper wreck havoc or kill someone in the manner of episode 14 and have viewers not alienated from their beloved protagonist? But here with the ACTUAL passage of time, and the blurred lines of the reality of the show mingled with the the reality of viewers' life long love of the show it creates a different effect and chemistry. Do we get Cooper's struggle with his inner demon all season? And if he does, does that take away from moments of his pure joy, like sighing over coffee in the diner? It's going to be an interesting challenge, but one I'm sure has been thoroughly thought out. Again, I can't imagine a scenario where Cooper gets whole again early on... Since Peaks is ultimately about inner duality, and anything after that would seem like an epilogue. At the same time, you need a practical straight forward narrative to frame all this around or it can sink into self indulgence. I'm thoroughly intrigued as to what the basic narrative could be this time around to support and let all the characters inner conflicts fly.
God, I love this music. Isn't it too dreamy?
DonnieB
Roadhouse Member

Post by DonnieB »

Major Briggs wrote:Part 3: Call for help
Methinks something very bad happens at the end of Part 2...
Sidgwick
Roadhouse Member

Post by Sidgwick »

I'm thinking the Call For Help will see the TPSD reach out to the FBI after a spate of localised, familiar incidents within state lines.
laughingpinecone
Great Northern Member

THE LAW.png
THE LAW.png (222.33 KiB) Viewed 7840 times
So, like, Harry #confirmed, right? that's how it works? :lol:
krishnanspace wrote:amazing laughingpinecone.You have some good drawing skills
Thank you! Especially honed so I could provide the ridiculous quick sketches internet conversations require now and then! Somebody has to!