Interview with John Thorne, editor of Wrapped in Plastic

General discussion on Twin Peaks not related to the series, film, books, music, photos, or collectors merchandise.

Moderators: Brad D, Annie, Jonah, BookhouseBoyBob, Ross, Jerry Horne

LostInTheMovies
Bookhouse Member

Re: Interview with John Thorne, editor of Wrapped in Plastic

Post by LostInTheMovies »

bosguy1981 wrote:Great interview, Lostinthemovies!
herofix wrote:he did not show BOB in that scene whatsoever. The camera was positioned so that the audience can't even see the reflection in the mirror. That had to be a deliberate omission, right?
Funny, I JUST noticed this a few minutes ago!

It reminds me a bit of something I mentioned in another thread when I was wondering if/when we see characters wear the ring in FWWM. I wondered if Teresa is wearing it before she discovers Leland might be Laura's father or if it only appears on her finger afterwards. Well, she is wearing the ring throughout the scene...but I only know this by freezing the frame and checking because Lynch goes out of his way to conceal it: she carries an ice pack in her left hand while approaching him and then dips her hand just out of frame while talking to him. It's kind of uncanny. May just be a coincidence but it seems that at the same time Lynch a) did not want the viewers to notice the ring until after Teresa has suspicions about Leland (which will ultimately lead to her death) but b) did not want the ring to actually "magically" appear on her finger only after this point. So he has her wearing it but does his best to keep it from view.

He seems to do this all the time: leading us in a certain direction but as ambiguously as possible. Plausible deniability all the way. (Inland Empire is pretty much the ultimate example of this - there are many possible readings but he never provides some "key" to unlock them, they always remain tantalizingly and frustratingly just out of reach.) And it's a huge part of what he was doing in Fire Walk With Me, I think: taking what had been explained or set up a certain way in the show and muddying the waters as much as possible.