Part 4 of Journey Through Twin Peaks: Laura is the One

General discussion on Twin Peaks not related to the series, film, books, music, photos, or collectors merchandise.

Moderators: Brad D, Annie, Jonah, BookhouseBoyBob, Ross, Jerry Horne

bosguy1981
Great Northern Member

Re: Part 4 of Journey Through Twin Peaks: Laura is the One

Post by bosguy1981 »

Argh! Why is MK2 blocking (some) chapters of your FWWM entries from YouTube? Jerks!

I hope you get things squared away with them. :cry:
OK,Bob
RR Diner Member

Post by OK,Bob »

LostInTheMovies wrote:Working on the final entry now. The opening sequence is going to be a lot of fun, I think. At least it is for me, making it...
Gave me chills :D - excellent work, Joel!
"OK, Bob. OK, BOB. OK." -Audrey Horne
LostInTheMovies
Bookhouse Member

Chapter 28 & restored videos

Post by LostInTheMovies »

And the series ends with, perversely, "Welcome to Twin Peaks":

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f8zRc8qlFU4

I will post a complete round-up within a day, as well as an individual blog entry for Part 4.

As for the previously missing videos...
bosguy1981 wrote:Argh! Why is MK2 blocking (some) chapters of your FWWM entries from YouTube? Jerks!

I hope you get things squared away with them. :cry:
I sent in counter-notifications and, to my surprise, the videos were immediately restored (although the claims themselves are still pending). When I had the issue with CBS, the disputed video remained blocked while my counter-notification was pending - so this is good news.

I believe at this point MK2 would have to file a lawsuit to remove my videos and I don't see them doing that (one thing I've been realizing is that in situations like this, the law is actually heavily stacked against the claimant). Hopefully they either quietly withdraw the claims or contact me as did CBS. And hopefully soon because I need to go off the grid this week to focus on offline projects.

Anyway, those two videos are back up. I believe you were looking for "The Spirit World" (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EkKgIxMDeBw) & "The Last 7 Days of Laura Palmer" (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7FxAUALh1OA).

Here they are: Sorry you checked for them in the brief period were they were unavailable! Which also leads me to think nobody from MK2 actually even watched the videos/read the claims and that this second notification may have been automated (which, to my understanding, is illegal). I mean who do they have checking videos on a Saturday night? :roll:
Rami Airola
RR Diner Member

Re: Chapter 28 & restored videos

Post by Rami Airola »

LostInTheMovies wrote: Which also leads me to think nobody from MK2 actually even watched the videos/read the claims and that this second notification may have been automated (which, to my understanding, is illegal). I mean who do they have checking videos on a Saturday night? :roll:
These things are mostly automated on Youtube. Companies put samples of sounds and images on Youtube's database, and Youtube checks these things automatically, usually in the very second the video gets uploaded. If this copyright claim happened just recently after you had already uploaded the videos ages ago, maybe MK2 just happened to upload some video clips or sound clips to that database and the system got through the videos and found yours having the same material.
LostInTheMovies
Bookhouse Member

Rami Airola wrote:
LostInTheMovies wrote: Which also leads me to think nobody from MK2 actually even watched the videos/read the claims and that this second notification may have been automated (which, to my understanding, is illegal). I mean who do they have checking videos on a Saturday night? :roll:
These things are mostly automated on Youtube. Companies put samples of sounds and images on Youtube's database, and Youtube checks these things automatically, usually in the very second the video gets uploaded. If this copyright claim happened just recently after you had already uploaded the videos ages ago, maybe MK2 just happened to upload some video clips or sound clips to that database and the system got through the videos and found yours having the same material.
I know that's how it works with the first one (it got flagged within seconds of upload - so obviously no one could have watched it). But I'm surprised they would take that approach the second time around (they are supposed to actually review the dispute, not just sent out another auto-claim). Also found an interesting column which suggests this approach is actually illegal: http://gamasutra.com/blogs/StephenMcArt ... hould_Know (although maybe this was not officially a takedown notice, since it blocked the video but immediately restored it when I counter-notified).
Rami Airola
RR Diner Member

Post by Rami Airola »

LostInTheMovies wrote:
Rami Airola wrote:
I know that's how it works with the first one (it got flagged within seconds of upload - so obviously no one could have watched it). But I'm surprised they would take that approach the second time around (they are supposed to actually review the dispute, not just sent out another auto-claim). Also found an interesting column which suggests this approach is actually illegal: http://gamasutra.com/blogs/StephenMcArt ... hould_Know (although maybe this was not officially a takedown notice, since it blocked the video but immediately restored it when I counter-notified).

Oh, I misunderstood.

I'm glad you got the video restored. These videos are very good, and I echo the sentiment that these could and should be in some official Twin Peaks release as bonus material. Highly detailed and entertaining stuff.
LostInTheMovies
Bookhouse Member

Rami Airola wrote: Oh, I misunderstood.

I'm glad you got the video restored. These videos are very good, and I echo the sentiment that these could and should be in some official Twin Peaks release as bonus material. Highly detailed and entertaining stuff.
Thanks! Not officially out of the woods till they release the claim (or else a month passes) but it's good that YouTube kept the videos up and running this time. Would've been a shame if the last video went up without all the other stuff too.
LostInTheMovies
Bookhouse Member

Working on the full-length Vimeo upload now. Will take a long time to export, as this ended up being the longest part of the whole series.

Meanwhile, I put up two new and related posts on my blog.

The first is just a lineup of all the YouTube videos in Part 4:

http://thedancingimage.blogspot.com/201 ... laura.html

But the other might be fun for people to look at - it is all the superimpositions, split-screens or quotations featured in Part 4. So if you want to take a longer look at any of those images from the videos, here they are:

http://thedancingimage.blogspot.com/201 ... peaks.html
LostInTheMovies
Bookhouse Member

The complete Part 4 on Vimeo: https://vimeo.com/118494212
LostInTheMovies
Bookhouse Member

Created a trailer for Journey Through Twin Peaks. Really like how it came out:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2KUUXpk4U3w

Share it with any other Twin Peaks fans you know! Next post will be the complete line-up on my blog and then we're done...
LostInTheMovies
Bookhouse Member

LostInTheMovies wrote:
Rami Airola wrote: Oh, I misunderstood.

Thanks! Not officially out of the woods till they release the claim (or else a month passes) but it's good that YouTube kept the videos up and running this time. Would've been a shame if the last video went up without all the other stuff too.
Spoke too soon. MK2 made another claim and this time YouTube deleted the two videos. I immediately counter-notified and sent them a fairly forceful email via the address YouTube provided. In 10 days the videos should be restored. I don't see MK2 filing a lawsuit here, not only because it would be ungrounded but because I'm STILL pretty sure they are just filing these claims automatically without even looking at the video, which really, really annoys me (but is par for the course in these situations, sadly). Like the last claim this was made in the middle of the night, right on the last day of the 1-month period they had before their other claim expired. Argh. Will update as soon as necessary.

Meantime if anyone wants to watch Chapters 23 & 24 (the ones that have been taken down) you can jump to 20:50 in the Vimeo clip of Part 4, to be found here: https://vimeo.com/118494212
Jasper
Bookhouse Member

Post by Jasper »

These people don't know what's good for them (or even what they're doing, if it's automatic). Your work is good for the brand. It's exactly the type of thing that directly contributes to keeping the material alive and consumer interest high.

I hope it's resolved soon.
LostInTheMovies
Bookhouse Member

Jasper wrote:These people don't know what's good for them (or even what they're doing, if it's automatic). Your work is good for the brand. It's exactly the type of thing that directly contributes to keeping the material alive and consumer interest high.

I hope it's resolved soon.
Yeah, it's funny...my legal ground is pretty airtight, so even if I hated the film I don't think they'd have much room to fight me. But one of the most important goals of these videos is to get people to consider/reconsider FWWM as part of the overall saga (something that I myself didn't really see until the Missing Pieces, even though I loved the film - I thought it had to be largely separated from the series to be appreciated). The best comments I've received so far have people saying things to the effect of, "I never liked FWWM before but you've showed me there's a lot more to it than I thought" or "I never realized the importance of Laura as a character to Lynch" etc etc.

Considering MK2 is ONLY the copyright-holder to the film and not the series, they more than anyone would have something to gain from a critical re-evaluation of a film that still has a bit of an uphill struggle in winning over Twin Peaks fans. But as you say, it's almost certainly an automatic procedure. Hoping in 10 days (after which their takedown expires without further action) the videos just silently go back up though I'd love to have them restored even sooner.
LostInTheMovies
Bookhouse Member

Videos are restored

I've got good news! Those videos you like have come back in style (on YouTube).

Chapters 23 & 24 (The Spirit World & The Last 7 Days of Laura Palmer) have been restored once, as expected, MK2's lazy takedown tactics were not backed up with anything substantial. Doubt an actual human at their company ever even took a look at them. A retrospective +1 for CBS for actually engaging with me on the issue.

But after the requisite 14 days lapsed without any word from MK2, YouTube restored the videos.

If you tried to watch them before & missed out, here they are:

The Spirit World https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EkKgIxMDeBw

&

The Last 7 Days of Laura Palmer https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7FxAUALh1OA