Journey Through Twin Peaks: the complete presentation

General discussion on Twin Peaks not related to the series, film, books, music, photos, or collectors merchandise.

Moderators: Brad D, Annie, Jonah, BookhouseBoyBob, Ross, Jerry Horne

LostInTheMovies
Bookhouse Member

Journey Through Twin Peaks: the complete presentation

Post by LostInTheMovies »

As many of you know, I have spent the past four and a half months working on a video series analyzing Twin Peaks from pilot through feature film (and touching on spin-offs like the Diary, Log Lady intros, Missing Pieces, Cooper's autobiography, access guide, etc). I have finally finished, creating a 2-minute teaser for the 28-chapter series and presenting the whole line-up in one convenient location, with descriptions for every chapter:

http://thedancingimage.blogspot.com/201 ... peaks.html

If you like these videos, please share them! I don't have a big platform so word-of-mouth is the only way this will spread (easiest to share is the preview: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2KUUXpk4U3w). I've really appreciated all the feedback that Twin Peaks fans have offered here and elsewhere - but even more so for the conversations which helped launch this series in the first place. At the end of the final chapter, I placed a special credit thanking Dugpa.com for all the wonderful discussions, leading to many of the conclusions and ideas presented within this series.

As Ben says to his fellow Hornes, "Always a pleasure..." (originally I typed "to Jerry" - looks like I still have a lot to learn lol)

I will be offline for awhile but expect to return to Dugpa frequently in the coming year, as we all await Lynch/Frost's future installments. Thanks again for the inspiration and appreciation along the way.
Mb3
RR Diner Member

Re: Journey Through Twin Peaks: the complete presentation

Post by Mb3 »

Thank you very much for taking the time to create this amazing video series about TP. I haven't watched all of the chapters yet but most of them and I guess when I'll be finished watching all of them, I'll start again right from the beginning. I think rewatching Journey Through Twin Peaks will be a good way to spend the time until the new season is going to start next year.
p-air
Roadhouse Member

Post by p-air »

I’ve really enjoyed this video series Joel. The chapter on Mark Frost’s theosophical themes and the dugpa mythology was especially interesting, as that’s such an unusual topic. I also liked the way you read Sheryl Lee’s “letter to Laura” over the scene from Inland Empire and the way this tied into the theory that Laura is “watching TV” at the end of Fire Walk With Me. That whole sequence was really deep and thought-provoking. It felt like you got right to the core of the mystery there and arrived at an interpretation which was consistent with David Lynch’s other work in ways even the most ardent viewers may never have imagined or considered.

I have watched through the whole thing twice and I’m sure I will watch again. Thanks for sharing.
FauxOwl
RR Diner Member

Post by FauxOwl »

I finally watched part 3... I've very appreciative of the obvious time and effort you put into this, a purely educational resource for fellow fans. And it is very informative, interesting and enlightening. Looking forward to part 4.
LostInTheMovies
Bookhouse Member

Thanks, everyone - and glad it rewards repeat viewings!
StealThisCorn
RR Diner Member
Location: Laying on Laura's lap in the Red Room / Gorging on garmonbozia with Bob Above the Convenience Store

Post by StealThisCorn »

I finally caught up on all of these and just want to say what a magnificent job you did Lost In the Movies. Thank you again for putting this together.
saygoodbyetojack
Roadhouse Member

Post by saygoodbyetojack »

Excellent work Joel, great job putting it all together
LostInTheMovies
Bookhouse Member

Glad both of you enjoyed it!
StealThisCorn wrote:I finally caught up on all of these and just want to say what a magnificent job you did Lost In the Movies. Thank you again for putting this together.
& thanks for the really helpful tips, pointers & suggestions with the mythology & Frost's influences!
Dalai Cooper
RR Diner Member

Post by Dalai Cooper »

These are excellent, kudos.
LostInTheMovies
Bookhouse Member

Thanks, Dalai.
LostInTheMovies
Bookhouse Member

Mentioned this in the Pt. 4 thread as well, but Chapters 23 & 24 are temporarily unavailable on YouTube. They should be restored within 10 days. Meanwhile, you can watch them by jumping to 20:50 on this video: https://vimeo.com/118494212
LostInTheMovies
Bookhouse Member

OT, but this week I posted a conversation with Kevin B. Lee, one of the most renowned and prolific video essayists out there and we discussed multiple video essays, including Journey Through Twin Peaks. The conversation starts here: http://thedancingimage.blogspot.com/201 ... -poem.html. Also this morning I introduced a True Detective viewing diary which I'm sure has a lot of crossover with Twin Peaks in terms of fanbase/viewership.
MasterMastermind
RR Diner Member

Post by MasterMastermind »

I can't recall better analysis of this show than yours, Joel.
sneakydave
RR Diner Member

Post by sneakydave »

Currently working my way through these and absolutely loving it. Sterling work, Sir.
*M*A*Y*D*A*Y*
LostInTheMovies
Bookhouse Member

Thanks, folks! A useful pick-me-up this morning.