The European Version alternate ending

General discussion on Twin Peaks not related to the series, film, books, music, photos, or collectors merchandise.

Moderators: Brad D, Annie, Jonah, BookhouseBoyBob, Ross, Jerry Horne

N. Needleman
Lodge Member

Re: The European Version alternate ending

Post by N. Needleman »

I vaguely recall reading somewhere that Frost insisted they sit down and figure out the meaning behind the pilot ending/dream sequence if they were going to include it in the show, so he and Lynch hammered it out together. From that, I assume, came the mythology. That may even be how they hit on bringing back Sheryl Lee as Maddy ("she's my cousin" was already shot).
AnotherBlueRoseCase wrote:The Return is clearly guaranteed a future audience among stoners and other drug users.
StealThisCorn
RR Diner Member
Location: Laying on Laura's lap in the Red Room / Gorging on garmonbozia with Bob Above the Convenience Store

Post by StealThisCorn »

I would love to see a source on that. If that's true it would be huge for those of us trying to figure out how it got hammered out.
LostInTheMovies
Bookhouse Member

Post by LostInTheMovies »

N. Needleman wrote:I vaguely recall reading somewhere that Frost insisted they sit down and figure out the meaning behind the pilot ending/dream sequence if they were going to include it in the show, so he and Lynch hammered it out together. From that, I assume, came the mythology. That may even be how they hit on bringing back Sheryl Lee as Maddy ("she's my cousin" was already shot).
I've read some quotes where Frost says, I was thrown by the dancing midget so I pushed for some more info or something to that effect.

It's all so maddeningly vague! Would be fascinating to get a clear idea of the who & when of Twin Peaks' writing but I doubt even the writers themselves remember at this point.

As far as all the dream "clues" being worked out early on, I think the strongest evidence against that is the ridiculous 11th hour way gum suddenly enters the world of Twin Peaks. They'd have been better off just leaving out that reference altogether.
N. Needleman
Lodge Member

Post by N. Needleman »

I love the gum. I think it makes a sort of dadaist sense while also having some real world layering. It just clicks for me.
AnotherBlueRoseCase wrote:The Return is clearly guaranteed a future audience among stoners and other drug users.
StealThisCorn
RR Diner Member
Location: Laying on Laura's lap in the Red Room / Gorging on garmonbozia with Bob Above the Convenience Store

Post by StealThisCorn »

But suddenly in Episode 16, people start chewing gum. I like the original line, but I don't like the way they forced it into being THE CLUE.