Rewatching Twin Peaks: full, partial & waiting for 2016

General discussion on Twin Peaks not related to the series, film, books, music, photos, or collectors merchandise.

Moderators: Brad D, Annie, Jonah, BookhouseBoyBob, Ross, Jerry Horne

LostInTheMovies
Bookhouse Member

Rewatching Twin Peaks: full, partial & waiting for 2016

Post by LostInTheMovies »

This has come up on a few different threads, but I'm wondering what approach people take to watching Twin Peaks; how many times you've rewatched, how frequently you rewatch it, if you rewatch random episodes or almost always in order, or what.

I haven't watched a single episode since June (which, in the time since I got back into the series in March 2014 is probably some kind of record for me!) and had been planning to hold off until a few months before the new series premieres. Unless Showtime plans on airing the old episode once a week before the new debut, in which case I'd start up again shortly before them (so that I can create a new episode guide to coincide with these re-airings).

Lately, however - especially considering that it seems like it will be at least a year before any repeats air - I've been considering an unusual approach: watching every single episode of the series & FWWM, but in order of preference rather than chronology. (Here is my order of preference, though I may tweak it before committing to the idea: http://www.dugpa.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=32751#p32751.) I think this could be fun since the weak episodes would seem fresher at the beginning of a rewatch while by the end everything would only be getting stronger. I have the plot continuity pretty firmly in my head at this point and watching episodes in this random fashion might help me notice things I hadn't noticed before.

Here are my previous watches & rewatches, full & partial. Episode numbering is pilot=0:

Summer 2006: TWO EPISODES OF TWIN PEAKS - I watched episodes 1 & 2 from the Artisan set. Pilot & season 2 were unavailable at this point so I abandoned the watch but was really intrigued, esp. by Bob's appearance in 1 & the Red Room dream (and Lynch's general direction) in 2.

Summer 2008: FIRST FULL WATCH-THROUGH - Coincidentally on the 2-year anniversary of the first time I ordered the series, I began watching the new Gold Box series on Netflix DVD. When the killer was revealed, I switched all my queues to Twin Peaks and raced through the back half of the series, then watched Fire Walk With Me. Fire Walk With Me was the only part I reviewed for my new blog (though I wrote some brief, general reactions to the show after watching the finale).

Summer to Fall 2008: PARTIAL REWATCH - I decided to revisit the series almost immediately after completing it, in order to write an episode guide for my blog. However, I skipped over ep. 17 - 28 so it was not a full rewatch. I also did not rewatch the movie, as I'd already written about it.

Sometime around 2010 or 2011: SINGLE EPISODES - Purchased a VHS copy of ep. 2 at a video store that was going out of business, and watched it with a friend. Not sure if I watched it again. But, other than stumbling across an episode on some cable channel around 2009 and watching a few minutes (pretty sure it was ep. 11, that it looked cheesier than I remembered, and that my friends were not impressed), this was the only time I watched any of the series between 2008 and 2014.

Fall 2013: FIRE WALK WITH ME REWATCH - Around Labor Day, I finally rewatched Fire Walk With Me. I bought the New Line DVD back in 2011 when I was splurging on my collection but had always been hesitant to revisit it. That first viewing was so strong I didn't want to "spoil" it in a way, preferring to let the memory linger. This time, I was more taken with the Lodge stuff that I had more or less dismissed on my first viewing.

March - April 2014: FULL REWATCH #1 - Encouraged by the Full of Secrets book of Twin Peaks essays, which I purchased online the previous year and finally read in February, I decided to finally do a full rewatch of the series. I couldn't access Netflix streaming on my computer at the time so (don't tell David Lynch!!) I watched it on my phone. I felt that the first time I watched the show I had been mostly taken with the mystery and atmosphere (as well as the bracing surrealism of the David Lynch-directed episodes); the second time, for the episode guide, I was more focused on what individual writers and directors brought to each episode; and this third time, I was more involved with the characters, enjoying their moments and story arcs. Also, the first 2 times I watched Maddy's murder I felt oddly distanced from it, uncomfortable but not really viscerally affected; this time (on a small phone screen of all things!) I was absolutely devastated and overwhelmed. Maybe this was down to maturity removing some of my resistance to being affected (although FWWM got past those defenses when I was 24), maybe it was because I'd recently read The Secret Diary of Laura Palmer for the 1st time ever and Laura's agony as an abuse victim was fresher in my mind, maybe it was because the work I was doing at the time involved nonprofits that fought violence against women. Finally, this was my first-ever rewatch of the show's back half which was fascinating because those episodes felt so much less familiar to me than the rest of the series. My take this time was that they weren't as bad as I remembered, but that they felt just as useless. I watched them just as quickly as I had the first time, maybe more so: binging through the final batch in a day or two.

April to May 2014: FIRE WALK WITH ME & LYNCH EPISODES (PLUS A FEW OTHERS) - After I finished the series, I watched Fire Walk With Me for the third time ever. This time it was in preparation for a back-and-forth essay series I had been invited to do by another blogger, and my focus was very much on Laura, the theme of incest, and the way the film both built off of and negated the show. Over the next month and a half, I watched the film maybe a half-dozen times, almost always in preparation for another written piece. My second essay for that back-and-forth series focused on Deer Meadow and the Black Lodge, trying to figure out how the film simultaneously doubled down on the realistic AND the supernatural elements of Twin Peaks. Around this time I was reading a ton of material on Twin Peaks for a media round-up on my blog. I also rewatched the Lynch episodes of the series during a chronological marathon of every David Lynch-directed film, episode, commercial, or music video that I could get my hands on, and watched them again (along with the other, non-Lynch episodes contained on their particular discs) when I was writing up my complete overview of Lynch's career.

July 2014: FULL REWATCH #2 - Around the beginning of the month I purchased the Artisan & CBS season 2 sets (oddly enough, for all those years of being a Twin Peaks fan I had never bought the Gold Box!) mostly for the special features I didn't expect to be on the Entire Mystery blu-ray (I was right about the directors' commentaries, wrong about most of the other stuff). I decided to make use of the episodes on them, before they were made obsolete by the Entire Mystery, and watched the whole series again just a few months after my previous rewatch. Having focused intensely on David Lynch's involvement for several months, I now found myself more interested in the very effective television of late season 1 and the whole show as its own entity, not just its connection to Lynch. The back half, especially ep. 21 & 22 dragged for me but I made my way through in time for the blu-ray release on July 29. That night I watched The Missing Pieces before FWWM, mostly because I was eager to see them first and that accidental order really impressed me as being dramatically appropriate. It also started me thinking, for the first time, that perhaps Twin Peaks and FWWM weren't just completely opposed but fit within a bigger universe; in other words, Twin Peaks formed a complete, effective saga on its own narrative terms.

August 2014: FULL REWATCH #3 (MARATHON) - It took me several weeks, but around the middle of the month I had a few days off which I decided to spend marathoning the entire series for the first time ever (as well as pausing to read Laura's diary a 2nd time & Coop's book for the 1st time - the diary after ep. 8, and the book after ep. 23). I took notes during this entire viewing for the purpose of eventually writing an extensive, maybe book-size recap & analysis of the series. That written piece never happened but this experience basically formed the nucleus of the eventual Journey Through Twin Peaks video series. I was really able to tease out how the different modes and eras of the show fit into a greater whole, but was still thrown off at the very ending. Laura's death in the train car felt bleak and alienating, blisteringly defiant of my attempts to make Twin Peaks "whole" even though I could sense there was something more there I wasn't quite getting. I think I had already verbalized my Laura-saves-Ronette hypothesis to John Thorne (I interviewed him in July, although it wasn't published until October) but hadn't quite worked out the details or settled on it in my own head yet. I concluded the watch-through with Between Two Worlds, which only felt further baffling and inconclusive (remember, news of Lynch & Frost's return to Twin Peaks had not yet been made public) and finally had to accept the idea that perhaps a certain open-endedness was built in to Twin Peaks' very being. The next day I wrote up an introduction to the massive essay I was planning, and it ended up becoming the intro to "Welcome to Twin Peaks," the final chapter of my videos, accompanied by images from the towns where Twin Peaks was shot. At the end of the month, I resolved to work on this epic essay sporadically and otherwise leave Twin Peaks behind to focus on other endeavors (easier said than done). It had been a full 6 months since I got back into the series, and to mark the occasion I watched the pilot & FWWM back-to-back, in that order. It was quite a revealing, fascinating juxtaposition. I felt a bit distanced but respectful of the pilot, intrigued by its sense of mysteries that would never be revealed, and then fully immersed in FWWM, overwhelmed by its sense of revelation. The distance Lynch traveled from the beginning of his project to the end never seemed clearer to me.

September 2014 to January 2015: SPORADIC EPISODES - My retreat from Twin Peaks was, naturally, very short-lived and I soon fell deeper into that universe than I ever had before. During this period, I decided to create several Twin Peaks video essays and that project quickly turned into an audiovisual version of the comprehensive written series overview that I had been contemplating. Meanwhile, Lynch & Frost announced "that gum you look is going to come back in style," throwing my perspective on the series into a whole new light. During this obsessive period, however, I don't think I sat down to watch a full episode very often (although I did do that a handful of times, usually in order to observe something for the videos). Instead I was digging deeply into the material itself, converting files for my own use, and speeding through clips to break the seasons down into scenes and even various subplots, determining what got the most screentime and creating a handy guide I could reference whenever I wanted to pull up a particular clip for something I was covering in the videos. During this same time I bought & read the Access Guide & Mark Altman's behind-the-scenes book from 1990, explored the alt.tv.twin-peaks archives, began listening to more Twin Peaks podcasts (thus far I'd only listened to the original Twin Peaks Podcast, which I'd discovered in the spring), participated even more heavily in dugpa discussions , spoke to John Thorne a couple more times as well as Martha Nochimson, read The List of 7 and watched Storyville and The Believers and even a handful of Hill Street Blues episodes online, researched Theosophy and generally immersed myself in Twin Peaks and its related topics. In the final month, I began reading Hindu texts in light of FWWM & Lynch's work, inspired by Nochimson's work in David Lynch Swerves; I would say for about four months all but a few hours of media consumption was devoted to this project - ironically, though, very little of that media consumption was spent on watching episodes beginning to end. I watched the film only once (until the very end of the project), when it was screened at a public library and I attended with my cousin, a fellow fan whom I'd recently brought into the fold - the only time I've watched the movie on a "big screen" (I use the term loosely as it was projected in a small room from the New Line DVD) or with anyone else. As I approached the climactic chapter of the Journey videos, I found myself in a crisis of faith about whether my interpretation of the train car sequence was "correct" and watched the end of the film several times to determine if I was stretching it. Still have my doubts, but committed enough to the idea to include it in the video!

February 2015: SPORADIC EPISODES & FULL REWATCH #4 (MARATHON #2) - This was kind of my "cooling-off" period from Twin Peaks which involved a brief intensification of my obsession with it! I watched various episodes out of order, starting dugpa threads on them, and did another FWWM/pilot double feature, this time in narrative chronological order (i.e. the film first) which really didn't gibe for me. Near the end of the month, I re-read Laura's diary as a prologue to my final series rewatch until Showtime. Even after this, I still found myself unable to rip myself away entirely (I watched the entire first season again, for example!).

June 2015: SPORADIC EPISODES - I committed to a once-a-month post on Twin Peaks for my blog, and could never really stop visiting these forums (or picking up new Twin Peaks podcasts - at this point I think I'm in the midst of 4 or 5!) but after watching six or seven random episodes in June, I stepped back from watching anything. In July, I even bought myself some cheap donuts and coffee and settled in for a few hours of blu-ray viewing (during which I discovered some easter eggs on the final disc) as a kind of farewell to Twin Peaks viewing in the wait for the show & have not spun any of those discs since. Well, so far anyway. Haven't watched anything since episode 3 in mid-June, haven't watched the whole series since late February (which was also the last time I watched FWWM or The Missing Pieces). Hmm, I feel like I am at an AA meeting haha...

Wow, that ended up being way longer than I intended! I look forward to reading others' viewing histories (now that other threads have covered how viewers came to Twin Peaks, and how they reacted to various turning points on the first viewing).

P.S. A lot of other stuff I left out of here too - like buying the TP & FWWM soundtracks in '08 & the Julee Cruise album & 2nd TP soundtrack in '14, or watching tons of Sheryl Lee films & TV episodes in preparation for an essay on her work in FWWM as well as her general career (which was abandoned when the Journey project took over all my other work, though I still hope to tackle it someday), or reading Reflections & speaking with Brad, or Cameron Cloutier on the Obnoxious & Anonymous podcast, or my David Lynch Month on my blog in which ALL of his work was my focus (which only got lightly touched on above), or the online discussions after The Entire Mystery in which I went to bat for the idea of The Missing Pieces as a bridge between show & film, or trying to get friends into the series and watching them fail to fall under the spell of the pilot, or conversing via email feedback with the Sparkwood & 21 podcast, which has become central to my Twin Peaks experience in the past 6 months, or of course all the frantic analysis and second-guessing that went on during that six weeks that Lynch removed himself from the new series...

Basically getting immersed in Twin Peaks is only partly about watching the show, even if that's the focus.
Last edited by LostInTheMovies on Sat Oct 03, 2015 3:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
LiAnn
Roadhouse Member

Re: Rewatching Twin Peaks: full, partial & waiting for 2016

Post by LiAnn »

LostInTheMovies wrote:
Lately, however - especially considering that it seems like it will be at least a year before any repeats air - I've been considering an unusual approach: watching every single episode of the series & FWWM, but in order of preference rather than chronology. (Here is my order of preference, though I may tweak it before committing to the idea: http://www.dugpa.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=32751#p32751.) I think this could be fun since the weak episodes would seem fresher at the beginning of a rewatch while by the end everything would only be getting stronger. I have the plot continuity pretty firmly in my head at this point and watching episodes in this random fashion might help me notice things I hadn't noticed before.
This is actually a really solid approach. My friends and I did this a few years back, and it really brightened up the duller episodes (18-24 in particular). All in all, that rewatch was more pleasant than the numerous rewatches I've done in chronological order.
UnderTheSycamores

Post by UnderTheSycamores »

Lately I've rewatched FWWM and episode 29 (twice). Will probably do a full run through prior to the airdate, and sprinkle some watches of my favorite eps between now and then.
LostInTheMovies
Bookhouse Member

LiAnn wrote:
LostInTheMovies wrote:
This is actually a really solid approach. My friends and I did this a few years back, and it really brightened up the duller episodes (18-24 in particular). All in all, that rewatch was more pleasant than the numerous rewatches I've done in chronological order.
Oh cool! Did you keep a record and/or do you remember what order you settled on?
LiAnn
Roadhouse Member

Post by LiAnn »

LostInTheMovies wrote:
Oh cool! Did you keep a record and/or do you remember what order you settled on?
If memory serves, we watched episodes 18-28 first. Then, we double featured Fire Walk with Me and the Twin Peaks pilot (together, they make a very compelling 4-hour movie). After that, we watched the remainder of the series in sequential order, skipping over the episodes we'd already watched. We also stopped after "The Man Behind Glass" to read The Secret Diary of Laura Palmer.

It was a very satisfying way to rewatch the series.
LostInTheMovies
Bookhouse Member

LiAnn wrote:
LostInTheMovies wrote:
If memory serves, we watched episodes 18-28 first. Then, we double featured Fire Walk with Me and the Twin Peaks pilot (together, they make a very compelling 4-hour movie). After that, we watched the remainder of the series in sequential order, skipping over the episodes we'd already watched. We also stopped after "The Man Behind Glass" to read The Secret Diary of Laura Palmer.

It was a very satisfying way to rewatch the series.
Did you watch FWWM and THEN the pilot? I tried that once and it didn't flow at all for me but was fascinating nonetheless. Somehow the film just seems very "after" the pilot to me despite the narrative chronology.

Another interesting approach I've heard people recommend is pausing after ep. 14 to watch FWWM: http://www.the-solute.com/the-four-plac ... k-with-me/. It could arguably go well after ep. 16 too but the author offers some compelling arguments for 14.

EDIT: Oops, I just re-read the piece and it seems the author DOES mean ep. 16 by "the reveal." Regardless, I think their argument actually works better with ep. 14 and I'm pretty sure I've read/heard someone else argue for its placement there.
Sid

Post by Sid »

First watch in late 1991, when it originally aired in my country, starting with the pilot up until episode 21 or 22.
The remaining episodes were shown on a different channel I couldn't receive at the time. A friend of mine recorded them for me on VHS and I watched them after the last episode aired.

After the show ended I read both books at least two times.

In August 1992 watched FWWM in theathers. After that read Lauras' diary again and sort of said goodbey to Twin Peaks.
The only thing that was a constant during the 90's were the soundtracks. They were a staple in my music collection and still are to this day.

In the early 2000's I was moving and found my old VHS tapes of the last episodes. I had to borrow an old VCR from a friend to rewatch them and got all sentimental. When in 2002 the first season was released on DVD I was thrilled. This was also the first time I watched the show without dubbing. It was a whole new experience. But I never got the second season on DVD since the release was postponed so many times.

Finally the Gold Box arrived and for the first time in over 16 years I was able to watch the whole thing in one sweep.

Since then I usually return to a whole rewatch of the show once a year ending with FWWM. I also tried to watch the movie first and then start with the pilot, but this didn't work for me.

The release of the Missing Pieces was a thrill but didn't change much about my habbit of watching the show in chronological order.
Since the announcement of the return I started watching episodes quite randomly. Jumping from a weak late season 2 episode back to a strong season 1 episode is quite refreshing. Since I don't have to follow the plotline I am able to pay more attention to little details.
LiAnn
Roadhouse Member

Post by LiAnn »

LostInTheMovies wrote:
Did you watch FWWM and THEN the pilot? I tried that once and it didn't flow at all for me but was fascinating nonetheless. Somehow the film just seems very "after" the pilot to me despite the narrative chronology.
We did. And while it was a tonally jarring experience, I thought the two films (for the sake of argument, I'm going to call the pilot a film) were incredibly interesting foils, FWWM with its sunny visuals but dark underbelly and the pilot with its wintry palette but quirky, offbeat humor. Watching FWWM first really showcased the tragedy of the characters' reactions to Laura's life, not just her death. The fact that they're walking around with smiles of their faces, many of them having witnessed Laura's highly erratic behavior the night before, illustrates how much the residents of Twin Peaks try to suppress and abstract both their pain and the pain of others. At least, that's how I see it.
LostInTheMovies wrote: Another interesting approach I've heard people recommend is pausing after ep. 14 to watch FWWM: http://www.the-solute.com/the-four-plac ... k-with-me/. It could arguably go well after ep. 16 too but the author offers some compelling arguments for 14.

EDIT: Oops, I just re-read the piece and it seems the author DOES mean ep. 16 by "the reveal." Regardless, I think their argument actually works better with ep. 14 and I'm pretty sure I've read/heard someone else argue for its placement there.
I'm definitely gonna give that a try. I agree that it makes more sense after Episode 14 than it does after Episode 16, kind of like watching the Star Wars prequels after Empire Strikes Back.
Last edited by LiAnn on Mon Oct 05, 2015 10:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
kcoR s'teL

Post by kcoR s'teL »

Interesting I may look into a non-chronological viewing.

I just took a couple of my friends through the first half of the series. We didn't get organized enough to finish before my vacation and trip to North Bend. We will have to finish now with the middle/end of season too (sigh). Can't wait to re-watch FWWM again! I expect after this viewing I'll have one more before season 3 starts.
BlackMoonLilith

Post by BlackMoonLilith »

What about only episodes with a Lynch credit or a Frost credit? So:

1. Pilot
2. 1x01
3. 1x02
4. 1x05
5. 1x07
6. 2x01
7. 2x02
8. 2x04
9. 2x07
10. 2x09
11. 2x19
12. 2x22
13. Fire Walk with Me

Missing some good stuff for sure, and some of it isn't so great, but overall that's a streamlined marathon that captures most of the huge stuff.
euro
Roadhouse Member

Post by euro »

I watch the whole Series every two year. In the 90s I started at 23/24 February and ended in April. Since the 2000s I started in the middle of November and finished a few days before Christmas with FWWM. This year, I will skip the 2-Year Ryhthm. That's really hard, but actually I do not have much time.We just built a house and we still have much to work.
Through the darkness of futures past
The magician longs to see
One chants out between two worlds
Fire walk with me
LostInTheMovies
Bookhouse Member

BlackMoonLilith wrote:What about only episodes with a Lynch credit or a Frost credit? So:

1. Pilot
2. 1x01
3. 1x02
4. 1x05
5. 1x07
6. 2x01
7. 2x02
8. 2x04
9. 2x07
10. 2x09
11. 2x19
12. 2x22
13. Fire Walk with Me

Missing some good stuff for sure, and some of it isn't so great, but overall that's a streamlined marathon that captures most of the huge stuff.
What's fascinating about that order is how surprisingly representative it is. In addition to all of the major dramatic moments on the show, you also get something from the cream of season 1 (1x05), the early uneven but still mystery-centric patch of early season 2 (2X04), and the late season shaky recovery (2X19). The only part of the series that isn't represented is mid-season 2, which I can live with. ;)
MasterMastermind
RR Diner Member

Post by MasterMastermind »

I watched season one in 2006, then season 2 in 2007, then I watched the entire show in 2007 with a friend, then I watched it in 2009 with another friend, then in 2011 with yet another friend, then in 2013 with my current girlfriend, then again in early 2015 with her again after getting the blu-ray.
LostInTheMovies
Bookhouse Member

MasterMastermind wrote:I watched season one in 2006, then season 2 in 2007, then I watched the entire show in 2007 with a friend, then I watched it in 2009 with another friend, then in 2011 with yet another friend, then in 2013 with my current girlfriend, then again in early 2015 with her again after getting the blu-ray.
Did you realize only one season was available in 2006? I don't think I did at first (started it the same year as you) but when I did I stopped watching until I could get the Gold Box. Would've been really interesting to get to episode 7 and then realize the rest was unavailable!

Of course doing that back in 2001 (or worse, before season 2 was available even in VHS) would have been much worse than in 2006...

Also, did you watch the pilot when you did the season 2 watch in 2007, or was this post-CBS S2, pre-Gold Box?
MasterMastermind
RR Diner Member

Post by MasterMastermind »

I did. I grew up in the sticks but a friend with a better internet connection torrented all of season 1 for me, even the Pilot somehow. I still have those burnt dvd's around somewhere. Then, a few months later, they announced season 2 was coming to DVD. It was fate. Season one was out of print at this point and expensive as hell if I remember right, and didn't even have the Pilot.