Beyond Season 3?

General discussion on Twin Peaks not related to the series, film, books, music, photos, or collectors merchandise.

Moderators: Brad D, Annie, Jonah, BookhouseBoyBob, Ross, Jerry Horne

FrightNight
RR Diner Member

Re: Beyond Season 3?

Post by FrightNight »

Given the rumours kicking about that the new book goes right back into the history of the town, centuries ago, maybe, if they decide to do more shows, we could have a season set in the past, perhaps about the founding of the Bookhouse Boys group or the emergence of the evil in the woods...

Personally, I'd love to see a story set in the days of the foundation of Twin Peaks and how the darkness in the woods affects the citizens of the town throughout history. Lynch's style has generally been about taking a seemingly harmless place and peeling away the layers and a historical tale will get us to the core of the town's dark heart.

Rightly or wrongly (many will likely say wrongly) I see Twin Peaks as the 'spine' of all his works, especially now we're returning there years later. The town is always there and reflects many aspects of his other films. It's a bit like Stephen King's Dark Tower series or Wong Kar-Wai's 2046 in that sense.

THIS! As I said, there are more things to Twin Peaks than Cooper's and Laura's story(-ies); I see it as this potentially endless universe that could be explored for seasons on end, providing there's artistic vision, work energy, good will and, of course, strong health on the part of TP's original conceivers. And Frost's answer regarding the potential continuation after Season 3 radiates good things in this regard ... Anyway, I see absolutely no need in closing the TP book forever once this upcoming season is over; fantastic things might come out of the reborn TP interest that we'll enjoy for years and years to come ... Keeping my fingers crossed!
Harry S. Truman
RR Diner Member

Post by Harry S. Truman »

This book will be a perfect complement to the third season. finally, we will know the origins of the lodges among other things !! 8)
FrightNight
RR Diner Member

Post by FrightNight »

Well, well ... "FIRST two seasons"," eh? :wink:
Aqua
Roadhouse Member

Post by Aqua »

Gabriel wrote:
Personally, I'd love to see a story set in the days of the foundation of Twin Peaks and how the darkness in the woods affects the citizens of the town throughout history. Lynch's style has generally been about taking a seemingly harmless place and peeling away the layers and a historical tale will get us to the core of the town's dark heart.
Yes, this absolutely. Harkens back also to my self-professed theory that the spirits and other beings in the lodges go back in time (as opposed to humans going forward in the real world), soaking in / acclimatizing to so to speak the volumes of good/evil existing alongside in reality. Still wondering whether they will leave it open at least to this interpretation after the upcoming season, since it looks so elegant and fitting
squealy
Roadhouse Member

Post by squealy »

When Twin Peaks was on originally I wanted it to go on forever. But over the years since, I've come to believe that it was a mistake conceiving the show as an ongoing, open ended series (especially a network series with 20+ episodes a year) and that it would have been much stronger if it had been designed as a short-term series (of say, two sets of eight or ten episodes) with a beginning, middle and end. So, I'm in favour of them doing the same with this new version of the show, which they appear to be doing.
Gabriel
Great Northern Member

Post by Gabriel »

Yeah, I think they should follow the likes of Fargo. Make a season that drops hints that can be picked up on in another season, but tell a complete story.

There's a huge population in the town, so there a potentially infinite different stories that can be told.
FrightNight
RR Diner Member

Post by FrightNight »

Gabriel wrote:Yeah, I think they should follow the likes of Fargo. Make a season that drops hints that can be picked up on in another season, but tell a complete story.

There's a huge population in the town, so there a potentially infinite different stories that can be told.
You're my man! :D
I've been saying ever since the return was announced that NOW's the ideal time for the series' creators to make good on their original vision, namely of TP continuing indefinitely, branching off in all sorts of directions, initially fueled by Laura Palmer's murder, now, perhaps by Dale Cooper's fate, whatever becomes of him in the upcoming season(s). But I'm rather perplexed that the majority of fans seems to think otherwise, namely, wanting this upcoming batch of new episodes (be they 9, 12 or 18) to wrap thing up and speaking of Lynch's swan song ... Come on, how can you - as a rabid TP fan - not be out of your mind at the possibility of the wonderful and strange universe of the series being explored for, say, 5 or 6, heck, even 10 seasons? It's now or never, say I. The time is finally ripe!
fearltd
Roadhouse Member

Post by fearltd »

It would be cool if we got an additional season for symmetrical reasons. The original run of the pilot, episodes 1-29, FWWM and the Missing Pieces are about 29-30 hours of content. If the rumors as true, we're probably getting 2 seasons of 10 episodes. If there was a "Season 3" (or Season 5, depending on how you look at it) the new series would just about equal the running time of the old. Also giving it a nice, fulfilling "5 seasons and a movie"-run. Of course, knowing nothing about the story, I'm down for whatever Lynch/Frost have planned...
LostInTheMovies
Bookhouse Member

Post by LostInTheMovies »

FrightNight wrote:Come on, how can you - as a rabid TP fan - not be out of your mind at the possibility of the wonderful and strange universe of the series being explored for, say, 5 or 6, heck, even 10 seasons? It's now or never, say I. The time is finally ripe!
Not to beat a dead horse, but 3 reasons:

1) Personally, I like things with endings. The ending can be a long time coming. It can be "open-ended" in the sense that many questions remain or even that it ties back into the beginning (like Lost Highway). But I want a conclusion. The longer Twin Peaks goes, the more it risks not having an effective or appropriate conclusion and simply coming to a dead halt or petering out into mediocrity. In general this is one reason I prefer film to TV formats, and why Twin Peaks is my favorite TV show (since it has a definite beginning, middle and - well, kinda - end, and even literally becomes a feature film eventually).

2) We've already seen what happened when the TP universe was expanded beyond its initial premise with the notion of "exploring the wonderful and strange universe" on its own terms. We got the second half of the series, which contains some good scenes and even episodes (toward the end) but is largely disappointing. Twin Peaks is strongest when it anchors itself to a core concept and tells a particular story, however drawn-out and however many offshoots there are from that particular story.

3) This is implicit in the first 2 reasons, but as a 70-year-old film director who works at his own pace, it's unlikely Lynch will direct 5 or 6, or 10 more seasons. And if he doesn't direct, all the historical evidence suggests he'll barely be involved at all. I want Lynch to be present for the official ending of Twin Peaks, I want him to be available to keep Twin Peaks on track, and I just generally want him to be around for whatever unfolds. The ONLY way I would be down with more seasons of Twin Peaks is if he shoots the last episode of each season in a semi-closed way (so that the show could theoretically end on that note, or continue if it wanted to), and preferably if he shot the finale before anything else so that, God forbid, if anything happened to him, the show still ended with his signature.
John Justice Wheeler
RR Diner Member

Post by John Justice Wheeler »

LostInTheMovies wrote:
FrightNight wrote:Come on, how can you - as a rabid TP fan - not be out of your mind at the possibility of the wonderful and strange universe of the series being explored for, say, 5 or 6, heck, even 10 seasons? It's now or never, say I. The time is finally ripe!

1) Personally, I like things with endings. The ending can be a long time coming. It can be "open-ended" in the sense that many questions remain or even that it ties back into the beginning (like Lost Highway). But I want a conclusion. The longer Twin Peaks goes, the more it risks not having an effective or appropriate conclusion and simply coming to a dead halt or petering out into mediocrity. In general this is one reason I prefer film to TV formats, and why Twin Peaks is my favorite TV show (since it has a definite beginning, middle and - well, kinda - end, and even literally becomes a feature film eventually).

2) We've already seen what happened when the TP universe was expanded beyond its initial premise with the notion of "exploring the wonderful and strange universe" on its own terms. We got the second half of the series, which contains some good scenes and even episodes (toward the end) but is largely disappointing. Twin Peaks is strongest when it anchors itself to a core concept and tells a particular story, however drawn-out and however many offshoots there are from that particular story.

3) This is implicit in the first 2 reasons, but as a 70-year-old film director who works at his own pace, it's unlikely Lynch will direct 5 or 6, or 10 more seasons. And if he doesn't direct, all the historical evidence suggests he'll barely be involved at all. I want Lynch to be present for the official ending of Twin Peaks, I want him to be available to keep Twin Peaks on track, and I just generally want him to be around for whatever unfolds. The ONLY way I would be down with more seasons of Twin Peaks is if he shoots the last episode of each season in a semi-closed way (so that the show could theoretically end on that note, or continue if it wanted to), and preferably if he shot the finale before anything else so that, God forbid, if anything happened to him, the show still ended with his signature.
God, yes. A million times yes to all of this.
laughingpinecone
Great Northern Member

Post by laughingpinecone »

John Justice Wheeler wrote:
LostInTheMovies wrote:

God, yes. A million times yes to all of this.
Thirded.
I come from different kinds of self-contained media (videogames, graphic novels...) but the bottom line is the same: much like LitM, I place a great deal of weight in a work's ending. I need TP to end on a strong note.
(PS gatekeeping ain't cool, in general)
] The gathered are known by their faces of stone.
N. Needleman
Lodge Member

Post by N. Needleman »

Twin Peaks without David Lynch at the very least alive and involved is not Twin Peaks. I consider this new series an unbelievable blessing and I would welcome them going for as long as they want to with Lynch/Frost at least at the helm, but without him, no. I had thought TP was done for 25 years, I am willing to let it return and then go back to paradise.
AnotherBlueRoseCase wrote:The Return is clearly guaranteed a future audience among stoners and other drug users.
Aqua
Roadhouse Member

Post by Aqua »

Same as above - but also IMO because of the secret/sub-conscious emotional heart of the series DL operates so smoothly. There is much more to it - I came to liking thinking about it that it is his doppelganger/shadow self that also so efficiently operates surrealistic/religious/mythologucal aspects, as well as darker aspects of the story. Plus the fantastic cinematography, and the storytelling and overarching line courtesy of MF. But it was always a very strong emotional exactness, wholesomeness (not only in a sentimental way but in general) and general 'true-ness' of the stuff portrayed. That always seemed to be/do the trick ad coupled with all aforementioned, expressed through music also obv, that both made it so exceptionally strong and provided a uniting and one-of-a-kind ingredient
FrightNight
RR Diner Member

Post by FrightNight »

LostInTheMovies wrote:

I don't consider this (ie. anyone's reiteration of his standpoint(s) regarding the present subject) a "dead horse", not with the next season of TP up and coming. And not with one of the series' "fathers" implying there may be more when that came (will come) from.

To briefly address your replys:

1) Yes, but TP is, first and foremost, a TV show (and not a mini-series, at that). Hence, a certain dose of longevity should be written into its DNA. I don't see why a conclusion would in any way be compromised or endangered if the series runs for a few seasons worth of more rather than less (that can be the case, particularly if the earnings are the main/only motivating factor, but isn't in any way the only conceivable outcome). For instance, The Sopranos or The Wire could both conclude a couple of seasons earlier than they did and still deliver this perfectly tight and realized universes but in both cases the audience would be deprived for a good number of episodes worth of TV brilliance.

2) That (regarding the original series' lesser quality when continuing past Laura Palmer mystery) is a matter of opinion. Personally, I think the show in the later half of the second season is as good as it's ever been and it would be a tremendous shame if it went out with the revelation of Laura's killer. I even don't mind the so-called "filler" episodes in between the Laura Palmer overarc and the Windom Earle/the Lodges overarc, as it gives the narrative some room to breathe, to kind of reconsider itself and we get additional time to spend with this fantastic world and its inhabitants. Besides, going against "expanding the initial premise" notion is going against the series' creators original vision and intent (for the umpteenth time: if Lynch - NOT just Frost, but Lynch ALSO - was so unhappy with where the show went after the Palmer thing was resolved, why on Earth did he fight so vigorously to keep it on the air and why was he so embittered for years afterwards that it croaked when it did???).

3) With this - the crucialness of Lynch's presence if the show is to have a quality run - I basically agree. I would be extatic if he decided to direct each and every episode for as many seasons as possible, but since I find that extremely unlikely (he is, after all, only human), I would be perfectly okay with him helming a few episodes per season, certainly the last one and maybe the first one as well, to sort of set the tone. That and, of course, him and Frost being available at all times as the "wise ones", so to speak, to the series' operative team. I think that's certainly possible as Lynch's not that old and might well be cratively rejuvenated with the making of these episodes we're so eagerly anticipating.
LostInTheMovies
Bookhouse Member

Post by LostInTheMovies »

FrightNight wrote:Besides, going against "expanding the initial premise" notion is going against the series' creators original vision and intent
Depends what you mean by "expanding the initial premise." Lynch has been quite explicit, over and over again, about Laura's ongoing mystery being necessary to sustain the story, even if it was hovering in the background.
(for the umpteenth time: if Lynch - NOT just Frost, but Lynch ALSO - was so unhappy with where the show went after the Palmer thing was resolved, why on Earth did he fight so vigorously to keep it on the air
So that he could have a chance to improve it?
and why was he so embittered for years afterwards that it croaked when it did???).
Because his show had been cancelled. Of course he was embittered. Why does this preclude him ALSO being bitter about the post-Laura direction of the show? Is it not at all significant to you that he blamed "it croak[ing] when it did" specifically ON "where the show went after the Palmer thing was resolved"?

I'm having trouble following your train of thought here, frankly. It's 100% established fact that Lynch does not like the direction the show took after the mystery ended. Do I really have to dig up the dozens of quotes to that effect to prove my point? C'mon.

What's clear is that it's incredibly important to Lynch to have direct control and direct involvement with Twin Peaks, and that it's very important to both Lynch and Frost to stick to a specific narrative trajectory without committing themselves to an ongoing show beyond that trajectory. If they can come up with material for new seasons that fits into those concerns, then perhaps we'll see more. If they can't, then we won't. Everything else is basically wishful thinking.