Showtime Re-broadcast of Original Series

General discussion on Twin Peaks not related to the series, film, books, music, photos, or collectors merchandise.

Moderators: Brad D, Annie, Jonah, BookhouseBoyBob, Ross, Jerry Horne

Soolsma
Bookhouse Member

Re: Showtime to Re-broadcast Original Series Early Next Year

Post by Soolsma »

Maybe take a discussion that gets personal to pm's..
Carrie Page: "It's a long way... In those days, I was too young to know any better."
mtwentz
Lodge Member

Post by mtwentz »

I alao think most of the German titles suck, but I really like 'Lonely Souls' as a title for the big reveal episode. It really nails the feel and vibe of the very last scene wiith Cooper Donna and Bobby all giving that lost and desperate look, and it also ties into the note left with Harold's body.
F*&^ you Gene Kelly
dronerstone
RR Diner Member

Post by dronerstone »

I actually couldn't care less about the titles.
asmahan
RR Diner Member

Post by asmahan »

Hulu and Netflix both use the German titles. Many newer TP fans were introduced to the series through those sites, so it's not so too surprising that Showtime would use them, even though they're not the original titles.
^◊^

Post by ^◊^ »

The numbering of the episodes is still confusing for me. And yeah, those titles are horrid. I kinda wish Lynch/Frost would nip this whole issue in the bud and come up with their own titles.
Major Briggs
RR Diner Member

Post by Major Briggs »

dronerstone wrote:I actually couldn't care less about the titles.
*High 5*
mtwentz
Lodge Member

Post by mtwentz »

Well, anyway, Cherry Lynch-mas everyone, with Mark Frost nipping at your nose...
F*&^ you Gene Kelly
CompletelySilent
Roadhouse Member

Post by CompletelySilent »

Personally, I have an ironic love that one of my favorite episodes from one of my favorite TV shows is titled "May the Giants be with You" :D

Merry Christmas all!
Diane! I'm holding in my hands a small box of chocolate bunnies.
krishnanspace
Bookhouse Member

Post by krishnanspace »

I don't understand, what titles are you all talking about? Cause 'May the giant be with you' and others are the default episode titles with the print that I have
Soolsma
Bookhouse Member

Post by Soolsma »

krishnanspace wrote:I don't understand, what titles are you all talking about? Cause 'May the giant be with you' and others are the default episode titles with the print that I have
They were first added to the episodes by a German tv channel which has nothing to do with Twin Peaks or the production team. The German titles were later translated to accompany English releases.
Carrie Page: "It's a long way... In those days, I was too young to know any better."
Ross
Global Moderator

Post by Ross »

Soolsma wrote:
krishnanspace wrote:I don't understand, what titles are you all talking about? Cause 'May the giant be with you' and others are the default episode titles with the print that I have
They were first added to the episodes by a German tv channel which has nothing to do with Twin Peaks or the production team. The German titles were later translated to accompany English releases.
Only digital releases tho. None sanctioned directly by Lynch/Frost. The DVD and Blu Ray releases just have the official numbers.
"I can see half my life's history in your face... And I'm not sure that I want to."
http://twinpeakssoundtrackdesign.blogspot.com/
krishnanspace
Bookhouse Member

Post by krishnanspace »

Thanks for the reply
David Locke
RR Diner Member

Post by David Locke »

"Episode 10" or whatever isn't exactly catchy or memorable, so it's no surprise that Showtime and many others would choose to use the German titles, no matter how silly many of them are.

I discussed this not long ago, but I do like some of the German titles. Namely: Lonely Souls, Traces to Nowhere, Wounds and Scars. Beyond Life and Death isn't bad for an attempt to sum up Episode 29.

Some are neither great not bad, just workmanlike but apt descriptions of the episodes: The Path to the Black Lodge, Miss Twin Peaks, Coma, The One-Armed Man, Laura's Secret Diary, even Arbitrary Law (which is a pretty incisive critique of that episode's feeling of arbitrariness!)

The worst titles are the ones that sound obviously translated from another language, like Rest in Pain, May the Giant Be With You, The Man Behind Glass, On the Wings of Love, Realization Time, etc. Some are just plain weird -- Masked Ball? I can only assume that one's another case of lost-in-translation, as the only thing approaching a "masked ball" in that episode is the Milford wedding!

As flawed as these titles are, I kind of have a nostalgic soft spot for them just because they're how I've known the episodes since I first saw the show in 2009. And also, as I mentioned, because "Episode #" just doesn't capture the imagination or stick in the memory at all. I really hope the new episodes have titles. Episode titles may be difficult to come up with (even one of the best shows, Deadwood, has some clunker titles, like "Jewel's Boot is Made For Walking" or "Requiem for a Gleet"!) But ultimately an evocative episode title, like an evocative film title, can be meaningful and memorable, adding a little extra certain something to the experience. It essentially tells you how to view or even interpret what you're watching. I can see Lynch disliking that kind of forced summary of meaning, but I'm sure he and Frost can concoct some nicely vague or ambiguous titles.
Panapaok
Bookhouse Member

Post by Panapaok »

Agreed. Some of the titles are pretty good. Especially Lonely Souls, which perfectly encapsulates the tone and feeling of episode 14. Some of them though, are indeed terrible.

I'm hoping that Lynch & Frost will give titles to the new episodes but I find it rather unlikely that they would want to do that, especially because the new series were written like a long movie.
This is - excuse me - a damn fine cup of coffee.
Soolsma
Bookhouse Member

Post by Soolsma »

I also like some of the titles. Maybe if i were an original viewer I'd be slightly bothered.