The Random Twin Peaks Thread

General discussion on Twin Peaks not related to the series, film, books, music, photos, or collectors merchandise.

Moderators: Brad D, Annie, Jonah, BookhouseBoyBob, Ross, Jerry Horne

stro

Re: The Random Twin Peaks Thread

Post by stro »

I mentioned it in a season 2 ep thread, but I really enjoy the Andy/Dick rivalry that turns into a genuine friendship that basically doesn't even factor Lucy into the equation. It's probably the most charming subplot of the down stretch of season 2. I also wish Windom Earle was a serious villain instead of the insane cartoon character he was. Would have been neat to see him as like a proto Mr. C and a serious foil for Coop. There's an X-Files episode from season 3 where Kenneth Welsh basically played Windom Earl but played completely straight and it was great. Was there ever even any discussion of having him be a serious and dark character or had the show already tipped into the goofy by that point?
Jasper
Bookhouse Member

Post by Jasper »

stro wrote:I mentioned it in a season 2 ep thread, but I really enjoy the Andy/Dick rivalry that turns into a genuine friendship that basically doesn't even factor Lucy into the equation. It's probably the most charming subplot of the down stretch of season 2. I also wish Windom Earle was a serious villain instead of the insane cartoon character he was. Would have been neat to see him as like a proto Mr. C and a serious foil for Coop. There's an X-Files episode from season 3 where Kenneth Welsh basically played Windom Earl but played completely straight and it was great. Was there ever even any discussion of having him be a serious and dark character or had the show already tipped into the goofy by that point?
His first appearance onscreen hints at how he could have played it.

Embedding seems to be disabled for this video, but here's the clip:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-3lDx8vsVDQ
LateReg
Bookhouse Member

Post by LateReg »

Jasper wrote:
stro wrote:I mentioned it in a season 2 ep thread, but I really enjoy the Andy/Dick rivalry that turns into a genuine friendship that basically doesn't even factor Lucy into the equation. It's probably the most charming subplot of the down stretch of season 2. I also wish Windom Earle was a serious villain instead of the insane cartoon character he was. Would have been neat to see him as like a proto Mr. C and a serious foil for Coop. There's an X-Files episode from season 3 where Kenneth Welsh basically played Windom Earl but played completely straight and it was great. Was there ever even any discussion of having him be a serious and dark character or had the show already tipped into the goofy by that point?

And also when Lynch reclaimed/righted him in episode 29. Another glimpse of what might have been. Isn't it also noted somewhere that Lynch was dissatisfied with the character's portrayal, at the very least when it came to his costuming at some point?
Soolsma
Bookhouse Member

Post by Soolsma »

Mystery series tip: The Third Day. From creator Dennis Kelly.
Carrie Page: "It's a long way... In those days, I was too young to know any better."
Mr. Reindeer
Lodge Member

Post by Mr. Reindeer »

LateReg wrote:
Jasper wrote:

And also when Lynch reclaimed/righted him in episode 29. Another glimpse of what might have been. Isn't it also noted somewhere that Lynch was dissatisfied with the character's portrayal, at the very least when it came to his costuming at some point?
I’ve never seen a direct quote from Lynch, re: Earle. And I’ve looked, a lot! I think we all have our suspicions how he probably felt (and there’s the classic story how he threw out a solid page of dialogue and said, “Hold a flashlight under your face and say, ‘I’m Windom Earle!’”), but there seems to be very little public info on how Lynch felt about the character.
Dougie Cooper
Roadhouse Member

Post by Dougie Cooper »

LateReg wrote:
Jasper wrote:

Kenneth Welsh offered this in an interview:

KW: It was on the set, but later. I’d already shot one episode I think. I was wearing this peculiar outfit that was some kind of plaid jacket with a strange tie. David walked over, stops, and says “That’s wrong”. I can’t remember if it was the director, but whoever was with me said, “What do you mean?”. David says “No, no. Windom wouldn’t look like that”. They asked what he should be wearing and he goes “Like an FBI suit that’s all covered in soot and all ripped and torn. Worn out. He’s been sleeping in the bushes”. So that was the first time I ever met him.
LateReg
Bookhouse Member

Post by LateReg »

Dougie Cooper wrote:
LateReg wrote:
Jasper wrote:

Kenneth Welsh offered this in an interview:

KW: It was on the set, but later. I’d already shot one episode I think. I was wearing this peculiar outfit that was some kind of plaid jacket with a strange tie. David walked over, stops, and says “That’s wrong”. I can’t remember if it was the director, but whoever was with me said, “What do you mean?”. David says “No, no. Windom wouldn’t look like that”. They asked what he should be wearing and he goes “Like an FBI suit that’s all covered in soot and all ripped and torn. Worn out. He’s been sleeping in the bushes”. So that was the first time I ever met him.
Yes, that's what I was thinking.
hopesfall
RR Diner Member

Post by hopesfall »

Soolsma wrote:Mystery series tip: The Third Day. From creator Dennis Kelly.
Agreed. I'm very much looking forward to the "all-day" episode showing on Sky Arts soon. Seems like a very interesting concept.
Soolsma
Bookhouse Member

Post by Soolsma »

The Dale Cooper Quartet & The Dictaphones just released a new album, bandcamp. Although I don't much like the songs with vocals, the instrumentals once again provide very excellent dark, jazzy, moody, peaksy vibes. As if it's music from a FWWM sequel that was never made.
Carrie Page: "It's a long way... In those days, I was too young to know any better."
Jasper
Bookhouse Member

Post by Jasper »

Happy Halloween, and happy first of November. Very glad the site's back. When I first saw that it had exceeded its bandwidth, I momentarily hoped that it was because there was some big news, but sadly that was not the case.

A random somewhat Twin Peaks related item was Lynch giving a weather report the other day, and remarking about the weird state of the world, which he said reminded him of the song "Wicked Game" by "the great Chris Isaak." I thought about that for a moment, and remembered the first line, "The world was on fire and no one could save me but you."

I've always loved this song. It's been a classic since the day it came out.

The only real TP connection is that it's Lynch mentioning Isaak, although fire has a prominent place in the lyrics. Obviously it was also in Wild at Heart, and Lynch made his own tie-in video for the song. Apparently it only got big after it appeared in that film. Let's hope that we one day see more of Chris Isaak as Chester Desmond, directed by Lynch.
LateReg
Bookhouse Member

Post by LateReg »

The official (non-Lynch) video for that song was always voted sexiest video of all time and whatnot. I never considered that it might be only after Wild at Heart that it really caught fire, as you say.
Jasper
Bookhouse Member

Post by Jasper »

LateReg wrote:The official (non-Lynch) video for that song was always voted sexiest video of all time and whatnot. I never considered that it might be only after Wild at Heart that it really caught fire, as you say.
Pretty strange indeed, since the song is so good, but it was probably a simple matter of getting exposure. There's even more to it. From Wikipedia:
Lee Chesnut, an Atlanta radio station music director who loved David Lynch films, began playing the song, and it quickly became an American top-ten hit in January 1991, reaching number six on the Billboard Hot 100, making it the first hit song of Isaak's career.
Soolsma
Bookhouse Member

Post by Soolsma »

Remember today to dig yourselves out of the shit!
Stavrogyn
RR Diner Member

Post by Stavrogyn »

I wasn't aware of this until opening the Wikipedia home page just moments ago, but it seems that today is exactly 30 years from the revelation of Laura Palmer's killer, i.e. the airing of Episode 14 / Lonely Souls, which one of my favourite Internet destinations appropriately mentions on its home page (kudos!):
Attachments
Lonely Souls.png
Lonely Souls.png (160.66 KiB) Viewed 7667 times
All those years living the life of someone I didn't even know - Knight of Cups (2015)
Soolsma
Bookhouse Member

Post by Soolsma »

Ooof. Such heavy spoilers on wikipedia's front page. Does make me wonder why in the preview there is mentions of 'a demon', whereas in the article itself BOB is mentioned instead.