Recommendations for Watching While Waiting for Season 3

General discussion on Twin Peaks not related to the series, film, books, music, photos, or collectors merchandise.

Moderators: Brad D, Annie, Jonah, BookhouseBoyBob, Ross, Jerry Horne

Snailhead
Great Northern Member

Re: Recommendations for Watching While Waiting for Season 3

Post by Snailhead »

'Riget' (The Kingdom) and 'Carnivale' are the two series that have come closest to giving me that Twin Peaks feeling, but are very unique in their own right. Interesting that they too ended prematurely with only 2 seasons!

I really liked 'Top of the Lake', too.
Ped
Roadhouse Member

Post by Ped »

Snailhead wrote:'Riget' (The Kingdom) and 'Carnivale' are the two series that have come closest to giving me that Twin Peaks feeling, but are very unique in their own right. Interesting that they too ended prematurely with only 2 seasons!

I really liked 'Top of the Lake', too.
I really liked Top Of The Lake too. Did you know there's a 2nd season coming soon?

http://variety.com/2016/tv/news/top-of- ... 201735728/
Where we're from, the birds sing a pretty song, and there's always music in the air.
Ped
Roadhouse Member

Post by Ped »

TV shows from the last year or so I would recommend are: Halt and Catch Fire (US), The Affair (US), Trapped (Iceland), The Legacy (Denmark), Broadchurch (UK), Marcella (UK), Looking (US), Togetherness (US), Transparent (US), Top Of The Lake (NZ), Gomorrah (Italy), The Tunnel (France/UK) to name but a few.
Where we're from, the birds sing a pretty song, and there's always music in the air.
Ped
Roadhouse Member

Post by Ped »

Did any of you ever catch the UK channel 4 show Utopia a couple or so years back? I think it would go down well with the TP crowd. It's actually nothing like Twin Peaks but it was definitely labelled "cult" here. It's about a group of folk who meet online to obsess over a graphic novel called Utopia. The author of the book was allegedly committed to a psychiatric hospital never to be seen or heard from again. One of the group arranges a meet in person as he says he has the manuscript to Utopia 2. However, 2 strange hit men turn up at the meet and the story goes from there. The series was brilliant and it had a cracking electro score as well as a fantastic colour scheme, yet it was still able to retain that grimy British feel of greasy spoon cafes, high rise council flats and grey skies. I've attached a teaser for anyone wanting to have a look. Highly recommended.

https://youtu.be/uJnN3WMwDsk
Saturn's child
RR Diner Member

Post by Saturn's child »

AgentCoop wrote:"American Gothic" was a short-lived small-town supernatural thriller with a Southern twist that aired on CBS in the 90's. Produced by Sam Raimi (yes, Bruce Campbell appears in an episode). Kind of hit-or-miss, but it had great atmosphere and awesome performances by Gary Cole and Lucas Black. Cole is particularly riveting as evil sheriff Lucas Buck. It's an old favorite of mine. Worth a watch if you can find it.
Glad I'm not the only one watching this during the wait! :D I have a soft spot for film/television that reaches deep, with a B-grade grasp... (I mean this in the most affectionate way possible)

I'll also second Carnivale & Les Revenants as more polished Peaks cousins. Vertigo is the Hitchcock film that reminds me most of Lynch, & I wouldn't be surprised to feel a continued echo in the new season.

As for recommendations:

Any Tarkovsky fans out there? His work isn't strictly very Lynchian, but I believe he has (had) a likewise trust in his unconscious. ... There are a few lingering moments that remind me of Lynch, now that I think about it.
I'd recommend 'Stalker', followed by 'Mirror' & 'Solyaris'.

As a one-off oddball film about relationship breakdown & sex with a strange creature, I'd also recommend Andrzej Zulawski's 'Possession'.
westauck1909

Post by westauck1909 »

I can only recommend watching the mind-boggling British 60`s sci/fi spy drama, "The Prisoner". Apologies if this has already been discussed somewhere and i imagine most will be familiar with this show already. I am watching all 17 episodes again (the last been back in the early 90`s) and there are some similarities to Twin Peaks. The uniforms - Patrick McGoohan in his blazer maybe a Cooper in his black suit he is the soul of the show and man of upstanding principle -or is he, the dwarf butler - man from another place, the waiting room for No 2`s office -don`t know but that reminds somewhat of the lodge, the endless beautiful women, the chess game in "check mate", the village itself, the ending which leaves many different interpretations. Maybe its nothing, though it seems very likely that Lynch must have seen it, anyway it is a great show for those who are unaware of it.
LostInTheMovies
Bookhouse Member

Post by LostInTheMovies »

westauck1909 wrote:I can only recommend watching the mind-boggling British 60`s sci/fi spy drama, "The Prisoner". Apologies if this has already been discussed somewhere and i imagine most will be familiar with this show already. I am watching all 17 episodes again (the last been back in the early 90`s) and there are some similarities to Twin Peaks. The uniforms - Patrick McGoohan in his blazer maybe a Cooper in his black suit he is the soul of the show and man of upstanding principle -or is he, the dwarf butler - man from another place, the waiting room for No 2`s office -don`t know but that reminds somewhat of the lodge, the endless beautiful women, the chess game in "check mate", the village itself, the ending which leaves many different interpretations. Maybe its nothing, though it seems very likely that Lynch must have seen it, anyway it is a great show for those who are unaware of it.
I wholeheartedly endorse! For what it's worth I covered the entire series on an episode guide this spring, so if anyone is looking for a first-time (or repeat) viewing companion:

The Prisoner viewing diary

And Mark Frost is on the record as a huge Prisoner fan (he wanted to direct a film adaptation at one point).
LostInTheMovies
Bookhouse Member

Post by LostInTheMovies »

If you don't mind VERY dark and disturbing (but also with moments of great beauty), Mysterious Skin is really powerful stuff, very reminiscent of Fire Walk With Me. An amazing performance by Joseph Gordon-Levitt, certainly the best work I've ever seen him do. The director Greg Araki is a huge fan of that film and cast Sheryl Lee in a later film (which I was disappointed by). Also featuring the theme of sexual abuse, but on a much more subdued level, is the achingly, melancholy The Sweet Hereafter, whose location very much gives me a "Twin Peaks with snow" vibe.

And yeah, Tartovsky is trance-inducing my hypnotic. One of the few filmmakers who, like Lynch, can induce a dreamlike - but hyper aware - state in the viewer.
westauck1909

Post by westauck1909 »

The soundtrack to "Mysterious Skin" by Robin Guthrie/Harold Budd is very pretty indeed.
Dining With Diane
Roadhouse Member

Post by Dining With Diane »

for tv shows:
-The Killing (US version, Netflix has all of it): like TP, it kicks off with a murdered teen girl who turns out to have been living quite a double life. it lacks the sweet silly small town elements, and replaces them with grim gritty urban stuff.
-true detective. matthew maccounaghey is a sort of dark reflection of dale cooper in season 1, season 2 is much like the tail end of TP season 2 with lots of small town political corruption, organized crime, etc.
-Hannibal. if you want a world like a painting you can go into and explore, this is a nice one.
-archer. not lynchian or peaksish in the slightest, more of a Tarantino-ish spy comedy series.

for movies:
-The straight story. it is definitely an oddball amongst Lynch's other work, and deserves a viewing for that alone. I strongly suspect this was the result of a dare to make a G rated disney movie, and it went wonderfully.
-any other lynch. you know you want to. Mulholland Drive, Lost Highway, and Inland Empire have cast members in common with season 3.
-any Sion Sono. or at least Suicide Circle. something is driving big flash-mobs of people to commit mass suicides. it has a musical number from a murderous Ziggy Stardust knockoff.
http://diningwithdiane.tumblr.com/
Dining with Diane - the food blog of Special Agent Dale Cooper
Snailhead
Great Northern Member

Post by Snailhead »

I just watched a very interesting film called "Butter on the Latch" by Josephine Decker. Not very similar to Twin Peaks, though it reminded me of Mulholland Drive, Lost Highway, and Inland Empire.
Aqua
Roadhouse Member

Post by Aqua »

Eyes wide shut definitely if somebody by slim chance hasn't; always like to remember just how similar Coop's hows annie manic laugh almost mixed with crying sounds totally similar to Cruise's cry at Kidman's lap at the end of Eyes Wide Shut (coincidence or not, they - tc and km - actually do somewhat look and sound alike actually, just like the movies themselves). This may not be analyzing it deep enough, but EWS also gives food for thought as to what has lead to the ending of s2 and thus leads also to what will happen in s3 - the dangerous psycho and surrounding recesses opening ( Kidman telling Cruise about her desires for others and him witnessing ritual parties and trying to procure intimate services, and Cooper perhaps uncomfortingly discovering subconscious implulses - not necessarily violent, but maybe curious - via being consistently exposed to evil in his work ), and the laugh/cry in both cases signifying both helplessly admitting to the reality and such urges as pale doubles of their previous selves
Clueless
Roadhouse Member

Post by Clueless »

If we are talking about non-Peaksian type stuff I'd recommend the dark show Mr.Robot which is super ambitious with a whole fall of capitalism narrative told through the eyes of a guy who joins a radical hacker movement which targets the data of massive banks.

Also Black Mirror, a British show, has horror-tinged narratives centered around hypothetical technologies/marketing forces that don't seem all that far-fetched.
madeleineferguson
RR Diner Member

Post by madeleineferguson »

True Detective (first season)
Fargo (both seasons)
Gilmore Girls (all seasons)

I know, I know. One of these is not like the other. But if you enjoy the silly, quirky, small town aspect of Twin Peaks, you'll love Gilmore Girls. The show focuses on the best mother daughter relationship of all time (on TV), but it's set in Stars Hollow, a very small town filled with some hilariously weird people. It's difficult not to fall in love with the show, it's brilliantly written and features a fantastic cast. Plus, Mädchen Amick and Sherilyn Fenn have recurring roles in some of the seasons!
sparco1979
Roadhouse Member

Post by sparco1979 »

1. Twin Peaks - just watch it again
2. FWWM then Missing Pieces before & after the series
3. X Files - anything in series 1 2 4
4. The Sopranos - which took TPs continuing Story & put it in New Jersey
5. Fargo - Series 2 then 1
6. Fringe - always good & great nods to the show like Walter with Dr Jacoby
7. Homicide Life On The Street - esoteric at times & great murder investigation
8. The Wire - possibly one of the greatest shows ever
9 True Detective Season 1
10 Every David Lynch movie you can get your hands on - you know the ones
I've seen the Killing Danish Version - good but hardly anything - apart from TD series 1 comes close for me. Whodunnits have hardly got the mystique & the 50 thousand things that seem to go on every minute of TP. A mystery we are all still debating 26 years later. Enjoy!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk