Twin Peaks: The Complete Mystery Special Features?

General discussion on Twin Peaks not related to the series, film, books, music, photos, or collectors merchandise.

Moderators: Brad D, Annie, Jonah, BookhouseBoyBob, Ross, Jerry Horne

jmichael
RR Diner Member

Post by jmichael »

Yes, Annie, you're right. The major concearn with a "complete mystery" set in the US is that the pilot episode has always been owned by Warner Brothers as a seperate entity from the rest of the series, which is now owned by Paramount.

This is because Warner helped fund the filming of the pilot on the condition they could release it as a stand alone movie in Europe - hence the "European ending."

It is possible that Paramount may be able to release the broadcast version of the pilot on dvd now (With the "proper" ending of Mrs. Palmer having a vision of the necklace being dug up), but it remains to be seen.

MEANWHILE, "Fire Walk With Me" is owned by New Line Cinema (a sister company of Warner Brothers). The story posted by Dugpa shows that Paramount Germany has just got the rights to distribute FWWM on dvd there, which means if they wanted, Paramount Germany could include FWWM in the "complete mystery" box set.

In order for the US release of the box set to include FWWM, Paramount (USA) would have to stirke a deal with New Line. This is not entirely unheard of - the Stanley Kubrik DVD boxset, for example, is mostly Warner Bros movies, but does include films he did from other studios, like "Doctor Strangelove." It will be interesting to watch in the next couple months and see what Paramount's plans are, really.

A massive box set includling the pilot, season one, season two and FWWM would be impressive. It would be along the lines of Fox's "Planet of the Apes" set (all the movies, plus the tv show, plus the cartoon show) or their recent M*A*S*H boxset that had the entire tv series, the movie and the reunion special.
GeekBoyEric74
RR Diner Member

Post by GeekBoyEric74 »

someone else just posted this suggestion for the set at another site's board, and I never thought of it before but I think it's a great idea; How about including the Agent Cooper Tapes and a copy of the Secret Diary of Laura Palmer? The tapes wouldn't take very much space on the dvd, and having the Diary would be the ultimate cherry on top. I wonder if the publishing rights for these have expired? It would be awesome if it could be included. I know having a book would drive up the cost, but they really need to make the new set really special for all the fans that have seasons one and two now. Just a good version of the pilot ep is not enough. Let's hope this is truly the Ultimate set.
sloclub
RR Diner Member

Post by sloclub »

This is what we've been talking about for months. I have also asked for the FWWM deleted scenes. I haven't seen the tapes or diary but those are excellent ideas.
Through the darkness of futures past,
the magician longs to see
One chants out,
between two worlds,
fire walk with me.